Home
Up to about 2 years ago Scheels would give you a decent price on a trade in gun - at least the one here in Kansas City.
then they got a new manager and they changed their policies and they now offer less for a trade in than Cabelas…. CABELAS !!

The price they offer has little to nothing to do with the blue book value - so I’m done with them if I can avoid them…. WOW.

Once they got a new manager, they place reminds me a a shister gun store.. a complete 180 from where they were originally…

The Scheel's in Omaha is the same.
I don’t trade guns at Scheels, so no comment on that, but their store here is very nice, selection is excellent, and they seem to have as much reloading stuff as anyone. Bought shotgun powder there yesterday. I’ll keep shopping there.
The only guns our local Scheels will take in trade are std guns in 95%+ condition. You don't get anywhere near what there.market value is. A. They don't want the used gun liability issue. B. There in it for the money. Mb
Blue books are just rough guides. They don't take into account local conditions and needs. Why don't you just sell the guns yourself?
I guess a fella could try a pawnshop?
I have never had great luck trading guns there. They know how to buy low and sell high.

I went through a 2-3 year period where I bought quite a few guns. Very few were purchased at the local Scheels - almost all were on Gunbroker.

Scheels typically has great service and a nice selection, but they are never cheap.
Blue Book valve will make you real happy or real sad depending. Also, there are no names and address in the back of people that will pay you what the book says it is worth or sell you one at that price.
Originally Posted by Slope77
I have never had great luck trading guns there. They know how to buy low and sell high.

I went through a 2-3 year period where I bought quite a few guns. Very few were purchased at the local Scheels - almost all were on Gunbroker.

Scheels typically has great service and a nice selection, but they are never cheap.

Do you think you come out great selling your car to a dealer???

Scheels has big glitzy stores with a lot of merchandise on the shelves. They can't do things successfully by trading a dollar for a dollar. They also get big discounts from their suppliers, being a giant retailer.

Rule of thumb for buying used guns is pay 50% of retail. It's the only way to make sufficient profit on used merchandise, and they have the used stuff competing with their new stuff.
They are out to make money. Just like any pawn shop in America.

kwg
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Do you think you come out great selling your car to a dealer???

Scheels has big glitzy stores with a lot of merchandise on the shelves. They can't do things successfully by trading a dollar for a dollar. They also get big discounts from their suppliers, being a giant retailer.

Rule of thumb for buying used guns is pay 50% of retail. It's the only way to make sufficient profit on used merchandise, and they have the used stuff competing with their new stuff.

I agree 100%. Best to sell your guns privately rather than trade, then take the cash and buy the gun you want. Just like cars. But you can buy the same gun cheaper somewhere else rather than Scheels.
I was 30 dang mile from Owensboro the other day and couldn't make it to Whittaker's. The World is an unfair place.
That's one store I'd like to visit for fun.

You're back now?
Scheels used carry a huge inventory of used guns, now just a handful of used guns on display.
A number of years ago, I was talking with one of the salesmen at Scheel's in Cedar Falls. I mentioned that I had a revolver that I was considering selling. He made me an offer that I thought was fair. I said that I would bring it in the next time I was in town. When I did this, he informed me that his manager said no to the offer. I was disappointed and have not forgotten.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Up to about 2 years ago Scheels would give you a decent price on a trade in gun - at least the one here in Kansas City.
then they got a new manager and they changed their policies and they now offer less for a trade in than Cabelas…. CABELAS !!

The price they offer has little to nothing to do with the blue book value - so I’m done with them if I can avoid them…. WOW.

Once they got a new manager, they place reminds me a a shister gun store.. a complete 180 from where they were originally…

That's too bad. It's a nice store. They have had ammo there all through the shortage whereas Cabela's and neither BPS in the city has, not to mention the two Academy's in your area.

I went to Cabela's back during Christmas break and was going to buy my kid a used Auto 5 shotgun. I took it up to the checkout and they directed me back to the Gun Library, for some reason. It was getting late and I think they just wanted to make somebody else deal with it. I stood there watching a semi-hostile Gun Library guy fingering from what I could tell from say seven feet away, a very decent pre-64 Winchester model 1894...30-30. Guy wanted like $500, which the Cabela's guy maybe should have just given him, the way gun prices are right now...and they weren't any better eight months back. So the Cabela's guy says the best he can do is $300! Guy asks for $350 and the pogue says he'll do him a favor and give him $325.

I was paying with my Cabela's card or was going to. I'm too used to gunshow/gun dealer etiquette where I won't get involved in somebody else's deal, but I nearly broke ranks. I actually turned around and looked in my wallet and only had like $300. I think there was enough to cover the other fifty out in the car. I came damn close to telling the old boy to step out in the parking lot and I'd give him $350.

About that time the rude assed employee told me it would be at least a half hour before he could get to me and I needed to take the gun up front. I just said I'd already been there and they'd directed me back there, as I turned around and put the gun back on the rack and we left.

I followed up the next day by calling and asking if they had the Winchester. Nope, already gone. I highly suspected it never even went on the books and the rude employee carted it right home. I expect I was right.

I've bought several guns there but this certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. Most stores like that are...like that. Big box stores saying they'll buy your guns. Sure they will.
These crying Karen threads are never not funny.
"I went to xxx today and they wouldn't give me full retail for my used xxx. They also wouldn't discount their xxx down to wholesale for me so I'm done shopping there and everyone on the innanets needs to know how I feel.
cry cry cry
A couple years ago I was going to buy a Browning BL-22, Grade II FLD, if I recall the model correctly. The one with an engraved silver receiver, but without the octagonal barrel.

I like to support local retail so I asked for a quote on a custom order from Scheels. I wasn’t going to hold local sales tax against them either, and they didn’t have to match price, just get close. As I recall, they quoted me something like $650-$680. They weren’t going to have to carry this in inventory.

I bought one off Gunbroker for something like $550. I think the seller was Reed’s Sports in Walker, MN.

I still buy plenty at Scheels, and they have some really good people working there, but they charge premium prices.
Happy Camper will be along shortly to explain all of this and say a prayer.
I just go to ride the Ferris wheel.
Who trades guns?

I looked over info the the "Blue Book of Gun Values". It appears its only use is to determine info or relatively new guns and specs of some older guns. I would not use it to determine used gun values. Obviously Scheels is looking for guns in great shape and in demand that can be sold in relatively short time. One example would be Gen 3 Glock with "frying pan" finish boxed in excellent condition, K-framed 9x19 S&W revolver or any larger S&W revolver with pinned barrel and recessed cylinder chambers (pre 1981 if memory serves right) if in excellent original condition. On the opposite end of spectrum would be something like: Keltec, Taurus,....... or some beat up Stevens hunting gun. Last year I recommended S&W 9x19 K-framed service revolver in excellent condition to member of THR that showed up on sale for $1450 at reputable US dealer site. He bought the gun and is happy to have it. One must remember they can give you at most about 80% of market value (if the gun is desirable and sought after) because they have to make a profit when they sell the gun.
$1,450 and no Ferris Wheel ride?
Nah.
In their defense they are leaving Cabelas and Bass Pro in a dust cloud as well as their price match policy on firearms.
I think the gun trade was driven by places like Cabela's. Now that they are getting out of the used gun market, the smaller concerns may look to do the same. There is a Scheels 5 miles from me. Their gun library no longer has guns, but safes, and boxes of stuff. Scheel will not ship or receive guns unless they are of a brand they sell in the store...no to Fox, L.C.Smiths, foreign guns, etc. I venture to say the gun trade will go back to small local concerns and internet auctions.

Scheels is going the way of LLBean, where hunting is a small side line compared to trendy clothes and ski equipment, etc. Face it, we are a dying breed. With the baby boomers starting their decent into immortality, hunting for working class people will also dye off. We won't be able to give our guns away. Guns in the $10,000+ class will continue to do well with the very rich.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
$1,450 and no Ferris Wheel ride?
Nah.

I prefer a BIG ASS ROLLY COASTER to a wheel designed by Bueller.

But I haven't seen any gun stores at Magic Mountain or Coney Island since Johns Mannville closed shop, at least.
Scheels is awesome.

I agree the rest of the store is still OK, just the gun counter seems headed in a making money but not your normal store path.

The problem is - It leads the rest of the store in the same direction… Look at cabelas reloading now - woof.

[/quote]

I followed up the next day by calling and asking if they had the Winchester. Nope, already gone. I highly suspected it never even went on the books and the rude employee carted it right home. I expect I was right.

[/quote]

Did you really, just go full retard?

Cabela's, Bass Pro and Scheels all all EBB(Electronic Bound Book), in order for the customer to get paid, the firearm information would have to be imputed and then a cash out sheet will be printed for the customer to get his funds.

I agree the rest of the store is still OK, just the gun counter seems headed in a making money but not your normal store path.

The problem is - It leads the rest of the store in the same direction… Look at cabelas reloading now - woof.

Scheels is still largely or entirely owned by the Scheels family. When they sell it or go public is when it will truly go to heck - just like when the Cabelas brothers sold out.

Scheels is still largely or entirely owned by the Scheels family. When they sell it or go public is when it will truly go to heck - just like when the Cabelas brothers sold out.

I thought Scheels was employee owned. At least that is what they advertised when they opened the store here in Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I thought Scheels was employee owned. At least that is what they advertised when they opened the store here in Colorado Springs

There is probably employee ownership, but the Scheels (they live in Fargo) are still the big dogs.
For some places, employee owned mean senior management, at .5 or 1%. A lot of this employee own business just a way to avoid health care and tax costs.
[/quote]I went to Cabela's back during Christmas break and was going to buy my kid a used Auto 5 shotgun. I took it up to the checkout and they directed me back to the Gun Library, for some reason. It was getting late and I think they just wanted to make somebody else deal with it. I stood there watching a semi-hostile Gun Library guy fingering from what I could tell from say seven feet away, a very decent pre-64 Winchester model 1894...30-30. Guy wanted like $500, which the Cabela's guy maybe should have just given him, the way gun prices are right now...and they weren't any better eight months back. So the Cabela's guy says the best he can do is $300! Guy asks for $350 and the pogue says he'll do him a favor and give him $325.

I followed up the next day by calling and asking if they had the Winchester. Nope, already gone. I highly suspected it never even went on the books and the rude employee carted it right home. I expect I was right.[/quote]

Gander Mountain also allow their employees to buy the used guns at cost, plus they could use their employee discount. The gun counter was a premium job. Those employee bought guns on the cheap and turn around and sold them on GI or Gun Broker. Gander Mtn should really have know better.
Like to hit Scheels once or twice a year in Reno. Kids still like to ride the Ferris Wheel even as adults.

Sell your gun on the internet if you think its worth more. Reality hopefully sets in after the third or four week of bumping your ad.
I like to marvel at their overhead and then buy stuff online for reasonable prices. However, when it was apparent that SR primers were going extinct in 2019, I scored several thousand at Scheels for regular prices.
Seems pretty obvious that you will do better selling a gun to someone who wants it themselves rather than someone who wants to sell it quickly for a profit. You’re also competing for their money against what they can make with that same amount of money by investing in a new gun from their jobber.

Sell it yourself.
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter

. . .Scheels is going the way of LLBean, where hunting is a small side line compared to trendy clothes and ski equipment, etc. .

^ ^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^
Never been in a Scheels. The one closest to here is
still an hour + away in packed traffic
The other chain stores are pretty much following that
same path, expensive hiking stuff, kids soccer stuff,
jockstraps, and team logo stuff, while the selection
of hunting, fishing, and camping slowly dwindles
down to the bare minimum
I told folks this would happen if we didn't support
the local mom and pop stores, and here it is.
There used to be a half dozen thriving gun stores
within bicycle distance from here.
There's one left about 10 miles away that doesn't
have much, but they don't have pink cleats and
mouth guards either
They have a relatively new store in Colorado Springs. I went earlier in the summer out of curiosity, just to check it out. It’s a nice store, and they have a schit ton of merchandise in there. But I didn’t see a single item in the entire store that was on sale. Nothin’.
If the previous manager was buying used guns at fair value, you know why he got fired, or is no longer there.

Most gun counters make Rick from Pawn Stars look generous.
I think Scheels follows the Kohl's marketing program. Extra high everyday prices, then have weekly sales where sales prices are the everyday price at other stores.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If the previous manager was buying used guns at fair value, you know why he got fired, or is no longer there.

Most gun counters make Rick from Pawn Stars look generous.
lolol!
As bad as Cabelas is, some of the best deals I've scored have been there.

98% of the used guns there are priced considerably over what I'd call market, but every now and then you walk into a deal so good it makes you scratch your head.
Just heard they are planning one local in Chandler AZ!
I took a used Ruger 10/22 to s cheels to sell . I had a very good Tasco scope on it my uncle gave me. I wanted at least $800 and they said no So I emailed Larry Potter , Kuiu and Sitka and meat eater and they all said no deal!!

Phug em all. I’m shopping g at Walmart from now on
i have found the BB to be about useless for pricing.
Never heard of Scheel’s

and had never heard of even Menard’s till last year.

Didn’t know what a Safeway was either.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Never heard of Scheel’s

and had never heard of even Menard’s till last year.

lol I don't even know if you're joking.

I'd never heard of Menard's until one showed up in Wichita. I'd never heered of Scheel's neither until one showed up in KC. Both are pretty good for Yankee places. Minyard's? Now Gramma shopped there all the time. Reasor's is the best grocery in Okiehoma.

Because of Winn-Dixie
Scheel's hasn't opened a store Tennessee or Mississippi yet .

Looks like Academy with a slightly better gun counter .
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Because of Winn-Dixie

Piggly Wiggly !!!

Winn Dixie is alright, but they quit on us 30 yr ago in Glocksville.

Winn-Dixie and Acme Boot gone same year

Now I can visit them (WD) when we’re in PCB with the Squidbilly inlaws.

Can’t visit Acme, those ass holes are in Puerto Rico now
Now that Menard’s was mentioned I can’t get their singing jingle out of my head........”Save Big Money At Menard’s”.

It isn't the manager. It's the corporate policy change.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I was 30 dang mile from Owensboro the other day and couldn't make it to Whittaker's. The World is an unfair place.

Awwww....poor baby. frown frown

grin
Originally Posted by DavePrice
Just heard they are planning one local in Chandler AZ!

thats good. hell of a time to open outdoor sports store though.

Sw in Flagstaff must spend about half their time moving stuff around to make the shelves look less empty.

big building to heat, cool and light, for the amount of stuff left inside.

good luck to them, I'll stop by when they open.

Sycamore

Because of Winn-Dixie

Piggly Wiggly !!!

I guessed you'd say Family Dollar!
Originally Posted by smarquez

It isn't the manager. It's the corporate policy change.

I think you are right - And so many of the Corporate guys have killed good stores because they are “SMARTER”….

Odd thing is they never stay around more than 3 years because if they do their incompetence begins to show…. The problem is they know that and play the game well and just get promoted to where they can blame others.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
As bad as Cabelas is, some of the best deals I've scored have been there.

98% of the used guns there are priced considerably over what I'd call market, but every now and then you walk into a deal so good it makes you scratch your head.

Yep. A certain $600 BRNO ZKK-602 375 H&H out of Post Falls comes to mind.

Because of Winn-Dixie

Piggly Wiggly !!!

Winn Dixie is alright, but they quit on us 30 yr ago in Glocksville.

Winn-Dixie and Acme Boot gone same year

Now I can visit them (WD) when we’re in PCB with the Squidbilly inlaws.

Can’t visit Acme, those ass holes are in Puerto Rico now

1. The movie man, the movie...LOL.

2. Had a blast in Georgia middle 90's getting sent there for work. For this California
boy It was like visiting a foreign land. BassPro, Piggly Wiggly, Race Relations, Stone Mountain. And Damn if them Georgia Peaches didn't love my toasted olive color skin.
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Because of Winn-Dixie

Piggly Wiggly !!!

I guessed you'd say Family Dollar!

Won’t catch me in a Fambly Dolla

White boy get shanked at the FD
Dollar General?
Ain’t been to a Scheels in 30 years.

Only shop at Terry Don Young’s Guns, Guitars and Vacuum cleaners.

He treat ya right.

Uses the same faded out blue book as used by boomers at gun shows.
When your closest choices within an hour are Big Dons Gun Shop with $600 Remington 783s, Academy, Walmarks, or Dolla Gentral, you would welcome a Scheels to your area.
I like Scheels and will be there tomorrow to purchase some reloading supplies. Trading a gun to an organization that has special buying levels of new guns is not usually going to be a winner. It does allow you to get rid of the gun and decrease the price of the new gun but to think you're going to get more than you could sell it for outright is not a winning strategy in most cases.
This is outrageous. Scheels is trying to make money?
Originally Posted by ribka
I took a used Ruger 10/22 to s cheels to sell . I had a very good Tasco scope on it my uncle gave me. I wanted at least $800 and they said no So I emailed Larry Potter , Kuiu and Sitka and meat eater and they all said no deal!!

Phug em all. I’m shopping g at Walmart from now on

Lol
A buddy of mine worked at Scheels while in college. He said even employees don't get discounts on guns because the margin is so tight from what they paid to what they actually sell them for. He was told the guns are to lure people in the store to also buy other stuff.
This is outrageous. People are trying to get a good deal?

Have never been to a Scheels. BUT, would be hard to be worse than Cabelas since the buy out.

If you think they're bad now, given the Cabelas scenario, things could get even worse after a buy out.

With a lot of family owned business, sometimes the second generation will take it forward, not always the case with succeeding generations.

DF
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Now that Menard’s was mentioned I can’t get their singing jingle out of my head........”Save Big Money At Menard’s”.

Its actually "you'll shave big monkeys, and punch a donkey, when you shop Menards". As far as Scheels, it's still quite good here in Appleton.
Originally Posted by trplem
Originally Posted by GAGoober

Its actually "you'll shave big monkeys, and punch a donkey, when you shop Menards". As far as Scheels, it's still quite good here in Appleton.

Remember the old commercials that ended with "Big Menardy" leering at the camera?
© 24hourcampfire