Home
Posted By: DigitalDan You know why? - 09/17/21
The Creed sucks?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/65-creedmoor-problems/
Posted By: Muffin Re: You know why? - 09/17/21
It's aCreed so I don't need premium bullets right?????

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: SandBilly Re: You know why? - 09/17/21
Hey Beaver, you paying attention?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: You know why? - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by Muffin
It's aCreed so I don't need premium bullets right?????

Nope. 2 part swaged cast will do the trick. Figure #2 alloy w/gc for the shank and wheel weights for the nose. RNFP.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: You know why? - 09/17/21
Posted By: Valsdad Re: You know why? - 09/17/21
Damn, just damn,

all along I knew............................

I was right.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
One of those pieces designed to provoke, not inform. No thanks.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
I’d be embarrassed if I wrote that article.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Sorry, SB, I was reading a new book…

“How to Be a Man Bun Wearing Sniper in Today’s Army shooting a Creed”

LOL

🦫
Posted By: SandBilly Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10

LOL

🦫

Lol.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I’d be embarrassed if I wrote that article.

Why? He nailed it.
Posted By: goalie Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
I shot a deer with a 6.5CM Howa last season.

It didn't make me totally gay, but I was pretty damn festive for a few days, and the tenderloins that night were FABULOUS with mushrooms and onions....
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
But, do you have any other guns?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Some folks might have missed the point of the article DD.
Apparently. 😂
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: You know why? - 09/18/21

LOL

You got to have a beer run scooter to go along with your man bun first. 😜
Posted By: P_Weed Re: You know why? - 09/18/21

What did the top bullet say to the botton bullet?

"What's your point?"

Are you saying my Remington 81 in 300 Savage offsets the man-bun????

😆
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
The 6.5CM is simply an improved .260 with the correct barrel twist. That's a good thing, It's a good recoil-reduced cartridge, and those who continually attack it are simply morons. It's not the 6.5CMs fault that previous 6.5s were twisted wrong or sized for intermediate actions no longer produced. It doesn't compete with the 26 Nosler or 6.5 WSM or even the .264WM, but then like all short action small head cartridges it's really designed for very low recoil - a women and children and targets cartridge. it does that well and is eminently reloadable and accurate.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
The 6.5CM is simply an improved .260 with the correct barrel twist. That's a good thing, It's a good recoil-reduced cartridge, and those who continually attack it are simply morons. It's not the 6.5CMs fault that previous 6.5s were twisted wrong or sized for intermediate actions no longer produced. It doesn't compete with the 26 Nosler or 6.5 WSM or even the .264WM, but then like all short action small head cartridges it's really designed for very low recoil - a women and children and targets cartridge. it does that well and is eminently reloadable and accurate.

Those that continually praise it as the greatest thing since sliced bread are also morons.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Read the article?!?!???

You ask for directions and read instructions too??!!????!?!?!!

But, I actually didn't read it. Don't care. All the 6.5cm ever was was a .260 rem that came with an appropriately twisted barrel for vld-ish bullets "standard" and a magazine that would fit those bullets loaded at an appropriate depth.

My 6mm manbun is the same thing to a .243

If a guy had a custom 243 or 260 with an appropriate barrel twist he would have no reason to switch to the man-bun, but iffn you were starting from scratch......

Those that continually praise it as the greatest thing since sliced bread are also morons.

Where are these people? I've seen people point out the improvements over previous 6.5s, and note that high-SD 6.5 bullets offer very good terminal performance for the recoil that's not easily matched in 6mm, .25 or .270. But I've never actually seen anyone make exaggerated claims about it. Only people bitching as it displaces other cartridges they want to nuthug that are twisted wrong or sized wrong or have poor case design or whatever.

Where are these people? I've seen people point out the improvements over previous 6.5s, and note that high-SD 6.5 bullets offer very good terminal performance for the recoil that's not easily matched in 6mm, .25 or .270. But I've never actually seen anyone make exaggerated claims about it. Only people bitching as it displaces other cartridges they want to nuthug that are twisted wrong or sized wrong or have poor case design or whatever.

Oh, they are out there. I've met a few at the range. They usually need more practice reading the wind and less time talking......

Then you’re not paying attention, I’m not talking just about the fire, but it’s here too.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: You know why? - 09/18/21

That's all well and good, but I'd refer you to my post above.
Originally Posted by goalie

Oh, they are out there. I've met a few at the range. They usually need more practice reading the wind and less time talking......

Ah, they're "at the range". Got it.

I'll still say I've seen 100s of losers bitching about the 6.5CM and never once anyone claiming it was magic If you want to be in the bin with the other losers, bitch away...

I'll still say I've seen 100s of losers bitching about the 6.5CM and never once anyone claiming it was magic If you want to be in the bin with the other losers, bitch away...

Sounds like we know what you own. Good luck with your Grizzly gun.

It's not a huge [bleep] secret what guns I hunt with and none of them is a 6.5CM. See what I mean about how irrationally hating on the gun makes you into an idiot? laugh
Posted By: krp Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
I guess if you can't find your 7mm08, 308 or 3006...

Kent

It's not a huge [bleep] secret what guns I hunt with and none of them is a 6.5CM. See what I mean about how irrationally hating on the gun makes you into an idiot? laugh

Settle down pops,
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
My 260 Ti does all I ask it to do. Minute of deer or target anyway. And Richard Mann, if you are here, Good article. You have a way of writing that keeps a guy reading and laughing most of the way. Be well, RZ

Read the article?!?!???

But, I actually didn't read it. Don't care. All the 6.5cm ever was was a .260 rem that came with an appropriately twisted barrel for vld-ish bullets "standard" and a magazine that would fit those bullets loaded at an appropriate depth.

If a guy had a custom 243 or 260 with an appropriate barrel twist he would have no reason to switch to the man-bun, but iffn you were starting from scratch......

From the article, last paragraph.

That fact is that there’s nothing magical about 6.5 Creedmoor. There’s no single task it can do that another 6.5mm cartridge cannot do better. That’s partly why the 6.5 Creedmoor sucks. But the main reason, the real reason, the 6.5 Creedmoor sucks, is because if you want to do everything discussed here with only one factory rifle, and with factory ammo, the 6.5 Creedmoor might be the only rifle you need. And there’s nothing, absolutely nothing, that sucks more than only needing one rifle!

Some of you clowns need to turn in your Loony ID card.
Apparently. 😂

It's tough when they put it at the very end of ALL that reading stuff.
I understand that if you purchase a 6.5 Crapmoore, one of these Twat Knots is included for free:

Prove me wrong.

The only acceptable use for a 6.5 Creed is for very small girls, pole-smokers, and maybe the infirm.

Read the article?!?!???

That fact is that there’s nothing magical about 6.5 Creedmoor. There’s no single task it can do that another 6.5mm cartridge cannot do better. That’s partly why the 6.5 Creedmoor sucks. But the main reason, the real reason, the 6.5 Creedmoor sucks, is because if you want to do everything discussed here with only one factory rifle, and with factory ammo, the 6.5 Creedmoor might be the only rifle you need. And there’s nothing, absolutely nothing, that sucks more than only needing one rifle!

I need one for Moose.

I've got two 6.5's and a 6. Love em. But pretending they don't have irritating fanbois is ignoring reality.

Read the article?!?!???

Yeah, I read the article..................I'm a compulsive reader, have been since about 5 years old..............but I very rarely ask directions.

When I first moved out here someone told me a person lived just past "where the old Alamo restaurant used to be". Like HTF am I supposed to know where that is if I just moved here and it's no longer "the old Alamo" but someone's house crazy

Oh, your last sentence there.............not quite word for word what's in the article. grin

I've got two 6.5's and a 6. Love em. But pretending they don't have irritating fanbois is ignoring reality.
See, where are these fanboys? Show me someone claiming it's a great bison gun or ELR gun or somehow magical, and your point is made. But I've never seen anyone say that. Just factual things like it's accurate, highly reloadable (very low case stretch), has high SD/BC bullets, low recoil etc.
Apparently. 😂

You shoot long range Geno? DD?
My truck gun is a .416 Rigby.

When are they going to make a .416 Rigmoor?

Are you replying to me? I didn’t ask what your truck gun was
Apparently. 😂

You shoot long range Geno?

Yep,

200 yards sometimes even. whistle
Apparently. 😂

You shoot long range Geno?

Yep,

200 yards sometimes even. whistle

Gotcha

Read the article?!?!???

I need one for a Mouse

Fixt

LOL

🦫

Read the article?!?!???

I need one for a Mouse

Fixt

LOL

🦫

You damn sure did. Lol
I was on a goat hunt in Wyoming too many years ago, when the ranchers kid, in his early 20’s comes by our camp with his Ruger RAR in 6.5 CM...He said it’s magical at killing lopes at 1300 yards.

I said “You ever kill anything at 1300 yards”? Kid said, “yeah, all the time” - “most of my shots start at 900 yards out here”

Kid showed up a couple days later with a small doe that was shot to hell, to show us he’d made a shot at 1200+ yards.

I laughed.

🦫
Our local range supposedly has a target of sorts out at 400+/-. I think I found it one day, but didn't see a way to get up there, as it appears to be on private property behind the range.

Can't find the pic I'm looking for. We've got a short side, 50 yards or so with berms for pistol, shotgun etc, then a 200 yard side for rifles, and a trap set up for those who like that. Pretty small range. So no real opportunity here, other than public land, to stretch things.

My "long range" gun would be the Sig SHR 970 with the 6.5x55 barrel installed. It shoots "good" wink

See, where are these fanboys? Show me someone claiming it's a great bison gun or ELR gun or somehow magical, and your point is made. But I've never seen anyone say that. Just factual things like it's accurate, highly reloadable (very low case stretch), has high SD/BC bullets, low recoil etc.

I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. I'm not saying YOU'VE seen creedmoor fanbois. I'm saying I have. Are you saying that, since you haven't seen any, they don't exist????
I was on a goat hunt in Wyoming too many years ago, when the ranchers kid, in his early 20’s comes by our camp with his Ruger RAR in 6.5 CM...He said it’s magical at killing lopes at 1300 yards.

I said “You ever kill anything at 1300 yards”? Kid said, “yeah, all the time” - “most of my shots start at 900 yards out here”

Kid showed up a couple days later with a small doe that was shot to hell, to show us he’d made a shot at 1200+ yards.

I laughed.

🦫

You don’t have to take it off hair at 900, the 1200 probably messed him up a bit. 😂

Don’t be silly. Was talking to myself.

I laughed.

🦫

You don’t have to take it off hair at 900, the 1200 probably messed him up a bit. 😂

Absolutely !

😝🦫

Don’t be silly. Was talking to myself.

Well you did reply to yourself. Can you answer the question?
No.
Ok
Good talk.

😂🦫
I'm mildly interested in a 6.5 284...

Kent

The .416 Rigamortis is purported to be super leathal.

I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. I'm not saying YOU'VE seen creedmoor fanbois. I'm saying I have. Are you saying that, since you haven't seen any, they don't exist????

It just seems to me if there's so many of them they shouldn't be so hard to find. Beaver10 claims there's one on a ranch in WY - maybe that's where they're all hiding... rural kids that are secretly manbun gay. They probably catch it at 4H.

The 6.5CM isn't a bad round at all. I like it myself. I'll probably chamber my daughter's first deer & elk rifle in it. Much better then the legal minimum 6mms for elk.
Posted By: kingston Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by High_Noon

In this metaphor, I'm the black kid.

It just seems to me if there's so many of them they shouldn't be so hard to find. Beaver10 claims there's one on a ranch in WY - maybe that's where they're all hiding... rural kids that are secretly manbun gay. They probably catch it at 4H.

The 6.5CM isn't a bad round at all. I like it myself. I'll probably chamber my daughter's first deer & elk rifle in it. Much better then the legal minimum 6mms for elk.

LB,
That was many, many, moons ago, on a ranch, when the 6.5 CM was beginning to gain traction. All of us looked at the cartridges the kid pulled out and thought - pfft, looks little.

People get too spun up over new, and even old cartridges...Shoot whatever makes you happy and shoot it well.

🦫
Posted By: jaguartx Re: You know why? - 09/18/21

Amen.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
But the main reason, the real reason, the 6.5 Creedmoor sucks, is because if you want to do everything discussed here with only one factory rifle, and with factory ammo, the 6.5 Creedmoor might be the only rifle you need. And there’s nothing, absolutely nothing, that sucks more than only needing one rifle!

I saw this coming a mile away and do agree with it.

I don't own a Creede and don't plan to, but can't argue with the logic.

I laughed.

🦫

Roughly where in Wyoming was this? I know a rancher's kid south of Pinedale that fits this description to a tee.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I laughed.

🦫

Roughly where in Wyoming was this? I know a rancher's kid south of Pinedale that fits this description to a tee.

Lusk, Wyoming to be exact.

I think we might know the same kid.

LOL
🦫

Lusk ain't near Pinedale...but I know the type. They're common in that state it seems.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
The newer REM 260 are 1-8 twist.

I believe the Savage 260 is also 1-8
Posted By: Salmonella Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by High_Noon

So is the 6.5 Manbun more Gay than a .270 now?
Asking for a friend...🤔
Always interesting how fads go, here in az with the coues hunting clic it's optics and guns. For a few years it was the 6.5 creed and now it's the PRC 6.5, latest greatest, creeds are sooo 2019...

Reminds me of the Vortex fad, lots of WTB ads in the local hunting classifieds... then lots of WTS ads on the same optics.

The 7mm 08 beats the creed and the prc is close... if you just want to shoot eld x...

Kent
The PRC-Creed thing about sums it up. If you're already set up with the Creed, is it really "needed" to upgrade even if the PRC is a little "better?"
I know guys that gave me chit for not chasing the creed and vortex and now they don't own either. Now I have guys saying I need a prc.

I told them I have a 7mm 08 and leupold, creed isn't as good, prc meh...

Now with the prc, H1000, retumbo, RL26, 8133, 210m primers and eld bullets are like gold... and as hard to find.

It's stupid.

Kent
Guys sayin’ you’re in need of a ‘prc’ sound a little gay.

Just sayin’.
But wait, the prc requires magnum powders so it must be manly...

The 7mm08 still beats it though.

Kent
👍😜
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
"e
That fact is that there’s nothing magical about 6.5 Creedmoor. There’s no single task it can do that another 6.5mm cartridge cannot do better. That’s partly why the 6.5 Creedmoor sucks. But the main reason, the real reason, the 6.5 Creedmoor sucks, is because if you want to do everything discussed here with only one factory rifle, and with factory ammo, the 6.5 Creedmoor might be the only rifle you need. And there’s nothing, absolutely nothing, that sucks more than only needing one rifle! "

People have said and written the same thing about the ,30/06 since I was a little bitty kid, too, I can even recall Jack O'Connor writing the same thing. I like the mid-sized .30 better, recoil or not.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Beat it how?

Certainly not velocity with comparable bullet weights, so how does the 7mm-08 “beat” the 6.5 PRC.

Just so you know, I have a 6.5 PRC, a 7mm-08 and a 7mm-08 AI.

OH, and a couple Swedes snd they too use “magnum” powders.
Well, the creed and prc combined with the 143gr eld x, is the claim to fame hunting wise. Compare it to the 7mm08 150 or 162gr eld x.

Creed will get around 2750 fps, prc will get around 2950.

7mm08 will get over 3000 with the 150 and over 2800 with the 162 eld x.

Kent
The creed is an upgrade over the 243, but as the article say's it's not better than the 6.5s above it. The article is ho hum and doesn't really say anything but it'll work on the animals mentioned. Big deal.

As I stated here in az we are the hotbed of long range hunting and long range optics, everyone want's to shoot a coues deer at 700 yds. These calibers run through like the corona virus and die out also.

Kent
I love my 06 and 308, but the 7mm08 can shoot a 150gr at 3000 and the 162 at 2800+... 308 and 3006 levels.

PRC can't do that.

It also shoots the best bullet in the world, the 120gr BT at 3200fps and just 15.5lbs of recoil in a 7lb rifle.

Kent
Posted By: Huntz Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
The CM`s are easy to load for and generally pretty accurate,but so is my 308 Win.,7MM08,6.5X55,270,30-06 and on and on.They are just another cartridge no better or worse then the rest.Just like every other new cartridge they get pimped by gun writers who amazingly never have a bad thing to say about any cartridge or rifle that they are writing about.Getting an honest opinion from MOST gun writers is about as common as getting an honest opinion from the MSM.JMHO,Huntz
Posted By: ERK Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
The Creed is perfect if you like shooting heavy for caliber bullets slowly. I have a 45-70 for that. I was shooting 300 trainers a 2625 with it. Edk
I don't have a Creed....

Posted By: Pharmseller Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by krp
Well, the creed and prc combined with the 143gr eld x, is the claim to fame hunting wise. Compare it to the 7mm08 150 or 162gr eld x.

Kent

None of my Tikkas will do what you claim. I get 2790 with 150 eldx and nowhere near 2800 with the 162.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: You know why? - 09/18/21
The 6.5 CM was designed by Dennis DeMille for over-the-course matches at 200, 300, and 600 yards where 80 shots are fired in a single day and if just one of them is 1/4" farther from the center, you might lose the match.

For any other situation, especially hunting large game, the 30-06 beats it.

If you can't tolerate 30-06 recoil, you don't know how to hold the rifle.
I don't even have a 243 anymore, only regret is it was a 788 and I was stupid to sell it.

I used to have in order...

308 only rifle for 17 years sav99 and it killed lots of deer.

3006 when I had my first rifle elk hunt, it's killed a truck load from family and friends, most my elk have been with a bow.

243 killed quite a few coues deer.

270 killed coues and an elk.

7mm mouser, heavy interarms, wife liked shooting it off the bench.

338mag also killed a bunch of elk as a loaner, 4 elk the first year I had it. Gave it to my nephew, he killed his first elk with it when he was 12.

30 30 just because.

7mag killed a few elk and coues

7 weatherby mag, didn't kill anything with it it killed worse than a 300mag.

7mm08, lighter tikka, it's killed a bunch of stuff, last year my brother's elk and wife's muley.

Pared it down to the 7mm08, 308, 3006, 30 30 about 10 years ago, almost exclusively use the 7mm08 with 120gr BTs for everything.

Last year bought my first 22 centerfire rifles, a 222 and 22-250 in 788 and a savage edge in 223 I bought mostly for the varix III it had on it... all for the grandkids to shoot as they get bigger.

I do have a TC hawkens 50 cal, and don't pretend I'm an expert.

Kent
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

None of my Tikkas will do what you claim. I get 2790 with 150 eldx and nowhere near 2800 with the 162.

What powder do you use?

It's published data.

I don't shoot elds but loads for my Tikka shoot dead nuts as published for the bullets I shoot behind H4895, big game and 6.5 staball. I imagine the elds will also.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

What powder do you use?

It's published data.

I don't shoot elds but loads for my Tikka shoot dead nuts as published for the bullets I shoot behind H4895, big game and 6.5 staball. I imagine the elds will also.

Kent

46.2 grains Big Game for the 150.

Where is the published data showing 3000+ for the 150 from a 22.4” barrel? The same for 2800 with a 162? I’d love to see it.
Hodgdon site

162 amax

Winchester StaBALL 6.5 0.284" 2.875" 42.5 2,490 39,500 PSI 47.8 2,821 59,000 PSI

150 sierra

Winchester StaBALL 6.5 0.284" 2.800" 43.6 2,628 43,100 PSI 48.5 2,908 58,900 PSI

My tikka shoots 5 ft slower than published data on the powders I've used.

And you're right I meant to compare the 143 eld to the 139 sst I use and get 3000 fps and screwed it up.

2900 from the 150s is good though.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Hodgdon site

162 amax

Winchester StaBALL 6.5 0.284" 2.875" 42.5 2,490 39,500 PSI 47.8 2,821 59,000 PSI

150 sierra

Winchester StaBALL 6.5 0.284" 2.800" 43.6 2,628 43,100 PSI 48.5 2,908 58,900 PSI

My tikka shoots 5 ft slower than published data on the powders I've used.

And you're right I meant to compare the 143 eld to the 139 sst I use and get 3000 fps and screwed it up.

2900 from the 150s is good though.

Kent

24” barrel in their data.

I did a lot of research when Sta-ball came out. I haven’t used it myself as I’m more than happy with Big Game, but no one I’ve read has gotten the velocities Hodgdon claims.

P
24 in in prc data, that's the comparison

Kent
Posted By: steve4102 Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

What powder do you use?

It's published data.

Kent

Can you post this published data that pushes a 150gr bullet to +3000fps in a 7mm-08?

I know Hodgdon/Winchester claims their new StaBall 6.5 will push a 150gr to 2908fps, but that's no where close to +3000.

Couple that with actual test results from handloaders and Hodgdon's velocity claims with their new powder are more in line with wishful thinking than reality.

Originally Posted by obie458
I did some shooting today with StaBALL 6.5 in the 7mm-08. I loaded 120 TTSX, 120 ballistic tip, 140 fusion and 150 AccuBond. All loads were with Hornady brass, and wlr primer. The rifle was a stainless ruger American 22” barrel. I did the usual treatment with working up loads and worked up to max looking for signs of pressure and looking for accuracy. I’ll say that this rifle is a bit picky with what it likes. I have a ruger American compact that shoots everything well but the one I shot today is a different animal.
Listed max with a 120gr bullet is 53gr
120 ballistic tip 2.80 col. 53gr got 3,037 FPS with no sign of pressure. Best accuracy at 52gr @ 2,934 3 shots at .27”! Need to look further into that load.
120 TTSX 2.78 col. 53gr got 3,052 FPS. With no pressure sign. Best accuracy was at 53gr. 5 shots @ .98”
Max for 140 is 48.5 but max for 139 is 51 and 145 is also 51. So I chose to try loading up to 51gr
140 fusion 2.8 col. 51 gr got 2,843 FPS. With no signs of pressure. Best accuracy was at 51gr @ .64” 5 shot group! Need to look further into this load.
Max for 150 bullets is lasted at 49.2 for 150 ttsx and 48.5 for 150 SIE HPBT. I tried loading up to 48.5 for a 150 AccuBond.
150 Accubond 2.80 col. I started seeing signs of pressure early and at 47.5gr @ 2,713 I was getting ejector marks and a stiff bolt lift so I didn’t go any further. Accuracy was terrible across all loads.

I know I used different components and had a 22” barrel but I came up pretty short of Winchester’s velocities. Although the velocity was less than expected some of the loads showed promising accuracy. I’ll have to reshoot the 120 ballistic tip and 140 fusion. Those are really good groups for this rifle. The 120 ttsx at .98” is also good but the ttsx is the one bullet that almost always shoots well in this rifle so .98 is pretty normal.

Originally Posted by ME109
With a 7-08 with 21" barrel shooting the 150 eldx I got slight ejector marks and stiffer bolt lift at 47.5 gr @ 2772 fps. I shot 48.0 gr which went 2807 fps with a heavier ejector mark and noticeably harder to cam bolt and stopped at that point.

Originally Posted by obie458
Anyone else try Staball 6.5 in the 7MM-08?
It look like most people are coming up pretty slow compared to what the reloading data suggests.
Posted By: Gibby Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by krp
I'm mildly interested in a 6.5 284...

Kent

Now your getting looney.

I love my Miller in 6.5X284 cut to fit the 142 Sierra Matchking. The S&B fixed 10X rounds it out.

I use it when I'm feeling lazy.

...and yes that bullet does expand well.

It's the only fancy rifle I own. Except for my Annie's.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Around here thru casual conversation.
It seems to be the miracle rifle!!!!

You get the 300 pd neck beard ex mil halo4 tshirt guy.
The bulldogged truck white rimmed sunglasses type usually with those bead thing necklaces
The Billie ray bubba types, kinda a combo of both above sometimes.
The older aloof what should I buy guy at the LGS, usually waited on by one of the 3 above.
The Tacitacool ex mil dressed to the role with 201 file hats of all ages, of which I strongly suspect their time in the supply or tool room didn't involve much danger. Many have the man bun.
And the classic self admitted I cant shoot worth a fugg maybe this cure it for me guys.

And many other types ect ect ect

The overall impression of these Joel Olsteen face aglow on sunday in front of 10k believers I get is.

It is gonna make up for their lack of shooting ability cause it is the lasar miracle caliber.

I have never seen a caliber hold such a broad spectrum almost cult like appeal like the 6.5 creedmoor.

It is strange....

I really dont see what difference it makes here in TN shooting deer 75 yds away at the feeder on mee maws and pee paws " farm".

I'm expecting one of the Keeblers or outta the blue other relatives to show up on slumlords place this fall with a Biden bucks 6.5 creedmoor miracle rifle ( see catagories above) and we will have to probably listen to incredible stories of what the 6.5 creedmoor can do. Most probably 2nd hand stuff tales of incredible long range shooting precision.
Yep uh huh...
Mr. I wound 1 to 3 deer a year blind melly jelly guys...

While a dead buck that either slumlord or myself killed is in the bed of da colorado on the way out.

The 6.5 creedmoor makes up for schitty marksmanship is the mindset impression I get mostly.
It can do anything according to alot of them that I hear.
They feel a huge need to speak about their 6.5, sometimes even when you are projecting obvious " here we go again feigned interest"
And the look of disappointment on the persons face when ya dont show interest and they see you are not a fanboy is rather funny.
It is like they are seeking other 6.5 creedmoor guys to orally vulcan mind meld with and talk incredible tales of 6.5 creedmoor stuff.

"One time at 6.5 creedmoor band camp"

As far as the 6.5 creedmoor getting new people into shooting or hunting.
Or drawing more people back into shooting or hunting once again.

That is a good thing.

But I honestly am tired of the Joel Olsteen face all aglow of everything 6.5 creedmoor let me tell you about my 6.5 creedmoor types.

I know everyone who owns one is not lumped into these generalized categories I have mentioned.
But around here....
Holy schit........
They are most def the most common you run into.

A" miracle" caliber can never make up for suck azz markmanship.
But that is what the mindset is around here. The 6.5 creedmoor will out of the blue make you the best shot ever.

All from just my observations.

YMMV........

Posted By: Muffin Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Thanks DD, Maybe I'll sell or trade it off............

wink

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Rene, you need another cuppa Joe! grin

I like the 7.62x51 myself. Always hit my target even if I didn’t have sights. At least one outta six barrels was spot on, every time.
Posted By: krp Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

What powder do you use?

It's published data.

Kent

Can you post this published data that pushes a 150gr bullet to +3000fps in a 7mm-08?

I know Hodgdon/Winchester claims their new StaBall 6.5 will push a 150gr to 2908fps, but that's no where close to +3000.

Couple that with actual test results from handloaders and Hodgdon's velocity claims with their new powder are more in line with wishful thinking than reality.

Already said in a following post that I screwed up saying 3000 for the 150, that's the number for hndy 139 sst that I actually load, and in prior discussions with prc pushers and have used to compare to the 143 6.5.

Published data

162 @ 2800
150 @ 2900
139 @ 3000
120 @ 3200

I know guys that can't get 2800 from a 3006 and 165gr bullets, it is what it is.

Kent
Originally Posted by renegade50

It is gonna make up for their lack of shooting ability cause it is the lasar miracle caliber.

I have never seen a caliber hold such a broad spectrum almost cult like appeal like the 6.5 creedmoor.

A" miracle" caliber can never make up for suck azz markmanship.

Miracle "caliber" or Cartridge?

wink

Hey, it doesn’t suck for you. You got other guns with different chambers. grin

It amazes me that a joke post gets some of you wankers so riled up. laugh

CHILL a little....

Please.
Posted By: Muffin Re: You know why? - 09/19/21

wink

Hey, it doesn’t suck for you. You got other guns with different chambers. grin

It amazes me that a joke post gets some of you wankers so riled up. laugh

CHILL a little....

Please.

Yeah, it sometimes amazes......... It's not going anywhere!
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Not Hardly.

As you referenced the 150gr bullet and published load data, check out Nosler Data.

Both tested with 26 inch barrels.
Max velocity for the 6.5 PRC with 150gr bullet = 3077fps

Max velocity for the 7mm-08 with 150gr Bullet = 2867fps

Ramshot data 24 inch barrels both.
7mm-08 150gr Sierra MK = 2817fps

6.5 PRC 147gr bullet = 2937fps

I still don't see how you make the claim that the 08 beats the PRC, even with Hodgdon's inflated velocities with StaBall 6.5
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
I like the 44 special and the 45-90.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
The 6.5 Manbun has taken the 270/30-06 fandom of the past,
And rolled it around general Bullshite like a stinky burrito.

Grew up with a bunch of city cousins from Hagerstown coming up
here to hunt. Drunk, loud, belligerent. City folk from Eastern MD. 'Nuff said.

Dad used a Finnwolf, most locals used a 30-30 or 32 of some flavor.

City twits all had pumps. 06, or (Mostly) 270 and were quick to tell how much
better their junk was. For woods hunting, where 200 yards was something you could only
find by looking hard.

I held that against pumps, 270s, and the 06 for a long time.

The 6.5 Fad can do a lot. The article is right.
But how many actually buy it to be a long range/lightweight/compact/elk/deer/antelope/bear/moose....gun?
And when you consider actual vs theoretical long-range,
It doesn't have anything over the 260-308, 25-30-06.....
Most hunters aren't/shouldn't really be shooting 300 yards.

I shoot a 6.5x55. Always get ask, "What's that?".

"It's a better long range gun than a 25-06, kinda. At longer ranges.
Similar to a 270. Kinda.
All on paper.
Good bullets, good shooting? Sorta like them."

Funny thing in life. The more you know about something (especially guns) the less
comfortable you are with broad statements or absolutes.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Not Hardly.

As you referenced the 150gr bullet and published load data, check out Nosler Data.

I still don't see how you make the claim that the 08 beats the PRC, even with Hodgdon's inflated velocities with StaBall 6.5

Steve, tell me how a prc that can barely reach 7mm08 velocities in a 120gr are magically going to eclipse them in the 140ish.

7mm data is exaggerated, 6.5 data is gospel.

Talking of heavier the 7mm can shoot the 150gr and 162gr, which I said earlier, referencing the eldx for hunting, which I also said.

And again, the 7mm shoots the best killing bullet in the world, the 120gr BT, with less than 16lbs of recoil in a 7lb all up rifle.

It beats the creed and prc in versatility.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

The 7mm 08 beats the creed and the prc is close... if you just want to shoot eld x...

Kent

I did say this earlier to setup why the 7mm08 beats the creed and prc in a 1 gun 1 load scenario in the article... it's not all about fractions of internet ballistics when it comes to killing chit.

Kent
So PRC vs 7mm08...

My nephew that I've taken hunting since he was little and was with him on all his first elk kills and gave him my braked 338 he killed his first elk with, and I got him into reloading.

Anyway he had a 6.5prc built, he said 3000.00, plus a 2000.00 scope. I mean it's a cool looking gun, looks like something in a movie a sniper would use to kill the enemy at a mile away. He has custom bullets (not ammo) hand made by someone. I have a rem 700 long action if I ever want to build a gun. He said his gunsmith had another prc barrel that was canceled and I should use that action. The barrel ended up sold and I looked into the prc and wasn't blown away by it, no advantage over the 7mm08.

His gun is big and heavy with a bipod attached, great for flat ground and time to work a shot.

My brother had a cow elk tag last year. First light I find a herd, brother and nephew sneak out and get within 100yds, they are on a side of a steep hill, no tree to steady the gun, no way to bipod. My brother and I grew up shooting small game with 22s, tons of doves and quail, standing and aiming... standing and shooting is no big deal.

But my brother missed a chip shot, he said he was aiming low for the heart, I just think he wasn't used the the weight of a bipod and the gun overall and missed low. We looked for a few hours and a mile for blood, I couldn't believed he missed it. But he did. Last elk he killed was on his hind feet at 200yds with my 7mm08, told him soot for the shoulder and drt right there... So I'm like what the hell you aiming a low shot for?

Anyway I had my 7mm08 in camp as my wife had a mule deer hunt the next weekend, my brother likes the gun and has all one shot kills with it. So he took it that afternoon and shot his cow standing up no problem, like he would a rabbit.

Though I did have to put a stone on it's head to hold it down for him.

PS, this isn't a serious 7mm vs prc post...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Not Hardly.

Steve, tell me how a prc that can barely reach 7mm08 velocities in a 120gr are magically going to eclipse them in the 140ish.

7mm data is exaggerated, 6.5 data is gospel.

Talking of heavier the 7mm can shoot the 150gr and 162gr, which I said earlier, referencing the eldx for hunting, which I also said.

And again, the 7mm shoots the best killing bullet in the world, the 120gr BT, with less than 16lbs of recoil in a 7lb all up rifle.

It beats the creed and prc in versatility.

Kent

Not hardly.

If we use Nosler Data for both we get the following.

7mm-08 120gr = 3267fps

https://www.nosler.com/7mm-08-remington

6.5 PRC 120gr bullet = 3413fps

https://www.nosler.com/6-5-prc

That’s just under 150fps advantage PRC, yet you refer to this as “barely reach” , interesting.

I get that the 08 is a more efficient use of case capacity vs bullet weight, but to claim that the 08 “beats” the PRC is delusional.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
If 3200 fps isn’t enough, 3400 fps won’t be enough either.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: You know why? - 09/19/21

That's dumb.

And you sell pharmaceuticals?
Maybe the shilen barrel is faster that the wiseman barrel... lol

Obviously you aren't going to share real world experience.

Anyway, besides hodgdon reloading data having them close... ramshot shows the prc at 3174 as fastest, with a compressed load at almost 64,000 psi... but lists the 7mm at 3062 with big game non compressed at just under 58,000 psi.

Hell I get 3080 with H4895 and that is my load for that gun, 3 for sd, mild and super accurate.

That was vs big game at 3160 but the sd was so bad, something like 3120 to 3160, and that wasn't quite max. Way to erratic, ok accuracy.

Obviously reloaders are upping the pressure on the 7mm to 61,000 and getting much faster speeds than the 3062.

Hodgdon's load data is bunk but Nosler's is gospel... right.

I thought you own both... post your results.

Kent
Posted By: rainshot Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Six pages of bravado and borderline lunacy.
Originally Posted by krp
Maybe the shilen barrel is faster that the wiseman barrel... lol

Obviously you aren't going to share real world experience.

Anyway, besides hodgdon reloading data having them close... ramshot shows the prc at 3174 as fastest, with a compressed load at almost 64,000 psi... but lists the 7mm at 3062 with big game non compressed at just under 58,000 psi.

Hell I get 3080 with H4895 and that is my load for that gun, 3 for sd, mild and super accurate.

That was vs big game at 3160 but the sd was so bad, something like 3120 to 3160, and that wasn't quite max. Way to erratic, ok accuracy.

Obviously reloaders are upping the pressure on the 7mm to 61,000 and getting much faster speeds than the 3062.

Hodgdon's load data is bunk but Nosler's is gospel... right.

I thought you own both... post your results.

Kent

I will as soon as I get back home,

I’m at the lake and my data is at home.

Prolly Tuesday or Wednesday before I can look it up for you.

BTW, I have no personal data for StaBall 6.5.

That said, you are the one that claimed the 08 beats the PRC using Published Load Data.

So far you have not been able to back that statement up.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That's dumb.

And you sell pharmaceuticals?

Yep. For over 24 years.

I think my statement makes perfect sense. In some instances 200 fps could be significant, especially if we’re talking about the difference in impact velocity between 1600 fps and 1800 fps.

200 fps difference between 3200 and 3400 doesn’t matter one whit (and a whit sure ain’t much) unless you’re extending the range to, say, 800 yards or so, which exceeds the skill level of about 99.817% of all hunters.

So I stand by my statement.

P
Posted By: ringworm Re: You know why? - 09/19/21
Well, it ain't a 257 souper
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: You know why? - 09/19/21

I get that the 08 is a more efficient use of case capacity vs bullet weight, but to claim that the 08 “beats” the PRC is delusional.

He's flat out stupid. The 6.5 PRC has 12-13gr more case capacity, a 4KPSI higher max pressure, and a better shoulder. In any fair comparison using suitable powders for each it will stomp the 7mm-08 in a manner similar to the way krp was deprived of oxygen at birth. In order to compete in a 7mm, you'd need to use the WSM or RSAUM.

The 7mm-08, like the 6.5CM, is a women and children cartridge that doesn't come close to realizing the performance available even in a short action.
I likes wimmin.I likes ‘em better when they bring a 7mm-08.

It’s weird how elk and deer know it’s wimmin shootin’ ‘em with a 7mm-08, so they die fast. When a big hairy man (sech as miself, gen’rally speakin’) shoots ‘em with the Mighty -08 the bullets bounce clean off.

Weird.
You wankers better chill out or I'm gonna put some acid in your coffee and make you shoot a man's cartridge, the .45-120. Then you'll be able to talk the talk and not quibble over minutiae.

Mathew Quigley
Posted By: krp Re: You know why? - 10/21/21
So here you go, finally made it out to shoot, only had an hour, waiting on concrete, so cronied the 7mm08 with a new crony, first with my known loads then the staball 6.5, then my 357/38spec with new reloads and different powders. Plus the new death grip tripod to shoot off.

7mm08 tikka, just stock with a vari x II 3x9 I bought in 92 maybe. Didn't have the rangefinder but to the spot I was shooting was about 170 known from previous sessions. It's a shooter, 1 inch at 200 off a wood beam on the tailgate and bags. And a fast barrel I guess.

First time shooting with the death grip, it's not as steady as bags but decent with a bit of travel,,, thinking grandkids are getting older and closer to shooting the 222 and 22 250, they can use it.

New crony, lent out my old one that I got used years ago, wanted a new one, just put a battery in and shot through. Got a couple errors, was shooting well above it not wanting a bullet hole on the first day.

My load for this gun is 43.6gr of H4895 and a 120gr BT, with the old crony I got 3080ish with a spread of 3fps in 5 shots, 10 years ago... shot 5 shots, first one I was aiming at the box, trying out the grip and crony... first hole was high left, then the next 4 I was aiming at the dot harder, definitely had some wobble in the tripod but it was better than I thought, group of four was 1 3/8 with one bullet cutting another.

Then comes the staball.

So hodgdon claims 3054 with 51gr of staball and the 139gr hndy, so I loaded 50grs and 51grs with the 139 sst.

50gr first shot was 3011, second an error, third 2989 after turning the machine off then back on after the error.

The first shot hit high left off the target as I wasn't concentrating on aim again as much as getting a reading, next two a decent group.

Next I had loaded 50grs of H4350 just to compare with the staball 50gr load, it was a compressed load and after a month when I chambered it it was stiff getting it closed, I wasn't real sure about shooting it but did one, it was an error and I decide to shelf the other two, will take them apart and go back to 48gr which is my normal load for that weight.

Lastly I decided to shoot the 51gr staball, first shot was 3034 and second an error, I quit there, running out of time.

Strangely the 2 51gr and 1 4350 loads, last three shots, were a 1 3/4 inch group.

I don't load max loads and those were some harsh rounds, the death grip handled them really well. I'll stick with my baby loads, the 120 kills elk and deer without a hitch. But I'm impressed with the staball.

Kent

Posted By: krp Re: You know why? - 10/22/21
Llama, Steve ? what happened...

Kent
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: You know why? - 10/22/21
6.5 Creedmoor was tailor made for ringing steel and there’s nothing wrong with it for hunting. I’d rather hunt with a .260 Rem or 7/08 at all typical ranges but it’s all splitting hairs IMO
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: You know why? - 10/22/21
If the Creed was made by a tailor you can count on split hairs. It's what they do.
© 24hourcampfire