Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Old school, probly a wife beater.

LOL
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
To the moon!!
Posted By: add Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Inspired multiple cartoons and copy cat sit-coms.
Posted By: deflave Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
The only thing I remember about Jackie Gleason is that he could golf and Fireballz was a broke dick f a g g o t.

LOL
Posted By: okie Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Posted By: scrooster Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Minnesota Fats was his finest part.
Posted By: DMc Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by SCRooster

The Honeymooners what his best!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
The Great one!
Posted By: lotech Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by SCRooster

Yes, and he stole the show from Paul Newman. What a shame to see him go from that to far lesser roles like the one he had in "Smokey and the Bandit".
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
he is buried in a fancy mausoleum down in Miami. Right around the corner is his pal June Taylor.
Posted By: shaman Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
My Dad knew him. They met in New York when Gleason was in his prime. Dad would go and hang out with Bill Nimmo, an NBC booth announcer originally from Cincinnati. Nimmo introduced him to Gleason. In those days, Dad would spend the winter over in Germany, because it was cheaper living there than the States after the war. So he was making it through NYC twice a year and staying a week or so.

Gleason had an apartment where there was a constant parade of folks through. If you dig around on Youtube, you'll find descriptions of these parties from a variety of sources. It was all the folks involved with the network shows being shot in NYC at the time. Dad met Gleason during a 3-day bender of booze and pool, and then started seeing him again down in Miami Beach. Our family was still building in Miami, and Dad was making frequent visits down there and staying at his folks' house.

From what I gather, Gleason was fun to be around, but he was exceedingly moody. He was an obsessive pool player. Dad couldn't keep up with his drinking, and complained once of meeting Gleason at Toots Shor's place and eventually waking up on the boat to Germany having no idea how he got on board.

BTW: a side note re: Bill Nimmo. Nimmo was the announcer for Johnny Carson on the NYC local show Who Do You Trust. When Johnny got tapped to do the Tonight Show, Nimmo begged off; he didn't think the move would do him any good. The producers went to Ed McMahon, who agreed to do the gig.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
I like his work.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
He’s with Roy.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Didn’t realize until saw it a couple months ago that Jason Patric that played Bowie in the Alamo and was in Geronimo is his grandson
Posted By: RicG Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Am very familiar with his last name.
Posted By: deltakid Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Loved to watch his show as a kid, was told that the coffee cup he always had during the introduction was filled with champagne.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
I always liked Gleason's work. I know he was a chain smoker like about everyone else in Hollywood.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
I always wondered if they modeled the Flinstones cartoon from early 60's after the old mid 50's Honeymooners show .And Fred Flintstone after Jackie Gleasons character in that show ,Fred sure acted like Ralph Kramden (Gleason) and Barney was kinda like Ed
Posted By: kendibs Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by rem shooter
I always wondered if they modeled the Flinstones cartoon from early 60's after the old mid 50's Honeymooners show .And Fred Flintstone after Jackie Gleasons character in that show ,Fred sure acted like Ralph Kramden (Gleason) and Barney was kinda like Ed

Yes they did.

The Honeymooners was a great show.

-Ken
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
I was his paper boy in the early 60s. His house was on Pine Tree Drive in Miami Beach. Gave me a FIFTY dollar bill as a Christmas bonus in 1963l
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
The first sitcom. Simple same set for each episode, stable cast of characters. Gleason made it art.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
I don't think most people alive today realize the Honeymooners was only one season long.

I didn't know or I forgot and was reminded when I watched an old Johnny Carson Episode with Gleason on Pluto TV.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Loved his stuff and respect the man having heard some stories about his kindness to others.

He had an orchestra as well- that late 40's to 60's low key orchestra sound, If you haven't checked it out it may surprise you.

I thought it so boring as a kid now love listening to it at times. Calming.

As for honeymooners great live stuff with honest laughter. no laugh track. The episode where Ed ties a string to the doorknob to pull Ralph's tooth........classic.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
Gleason was a republican.

The Honey Mooners was copied by the Flintstones..... especially the broken sink episode.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
I saw a documentary once where supposedly President Nixon snuck out of the Whitehouse, picked up Gleason, and they drove to Wright-Patterson air base to view the aliens that crashed at Roswell.

No clue if it’s true or not but they made it sound convincing.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Jackie Gleason? - 09/20/21
I heard Chuck D from Public Enemy say that Elvis, John Wayne and Jackie Gleason were racists.
© 24hourcampfire