Home
Posted By: Nestucca Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/21/21
Looking for a competent smith to install on my 700 with a .473 bolt face. Thanks
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/21/21
This is a controversial issue. Some say a Sako is prone to flying back into the shooters face. Then there are those that like the M-16 extractor. Both work well, I've done both for myself with no issues with either. I think the Sako is smoother and less fussy.

Either way, I would go to accurateshooter.com, and do a search for carlsbad (user name). He does great work and is fast turnaround.

When I say smoother, they are more "tunable" IMO. I have a old Farley action that has reliably pulled everything I have fed it and didn't send the case into the next zip code. Many new custom action use a Sako style extractor. The M-16 is positive and reliable, but I haven't worked with mine enough to find out how it will respond to tuning.

Some offer actions that will pull and eject either PPC cases or BR cases. Only one I have seen does it well.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Looking for a competent smith to install on my 700 with a .473 bolt face. Thanks

Why?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/21/21
I like the ejection angle on the factory extractors much better. So many m16 and sako style eject the case right into the windage turret then it bounces back into the action. I like bighorn custom actions now mainly just because of their after ejection angle.

If I wanted cases bouncing off the scope back into the action all the time I'd just use sako 85s

Bb
Posted By: erich Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/21/21
I've done it on a Rem 722 when there were no extractors available for them, it works great and turned my old 300 savage into a coyote killing 22-250.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I like the ejection angle on the factory extractors much better. So many m16 and sako style eject the case right into the windage turret then it bounces back into the action. I like bighorn custom actions now mainly just because of their after ejection angle.

If I wanted cases bouncing off the scope back into the action all the time I'd just use sako 85s

Bb

+1
Posted By: gunzo Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/21/21
I'm not up to snuff on the ease of instillation or the serviceability of the 2.

But to me, the M-16 unit seems like it has a ton more availability of the two & will have for years/decades to come. Is this a plus?
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by deflave

Why?

Because after 43 years and three barrels the factory original has give up and I can’t find a OEM extractor
Posted By: dale06 Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Jim Kobe in Bloomington has done several for me. Specifically the were done on Rem XR100 single shots. I had them rebarreled to 20 Vt and 22PPC. Neither ejected properly before the Sako extractor but did after the Sako extractor.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21

Why?

Because after 43 years and three barrels the factory original has give up and I can’t find a OEM extractor

That is the greatest answer in the history of answers.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Kobe does great work.
The original Sako has a non rotating rail block that keeps a blown case head from sending ejector parts down the raceway. The M16 is different in that it’s pinned to the bolt. The Sako is not. Therein lies the weakness. The Sako works good but if it fails it can do damage.

Why?

Thanks
Posted By: Craigster Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
New reproduction:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/89330D
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Not if installed right and the springs (both extractor and ejector) tuned to work.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Any interest in help locating a replacement? Need a riveted or rivetless type?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294409473567?hash=item448c2c0e1f:g:DKAAAOSwzndhSMBL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334137081183?hash=item4dcc1f3d5f:g:kCYAAOSwwRdhM-Nn
Posted By: 30338 Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
That would be the way to go right there.
I've never been a fan of the original Remington spring clip extractor. In 223 it'll scar the case heads and even give trouble with Lapua cases; at least mine did. They do function as advertised and are strong enough to extract. It was a design element that was necessary to implement the "three rings of steel' advertisement. M700 actions are strong and the most copied action in history. It is easy to set up in a lathe for checking concentricity. It's easy to chamber a new barrel for. It changed the game for Benchrest competition as did the PPC. It's just not a favorite of mine. I believe the Mini 16 extractor does a decent job of extraction without damaging case heads and I also relieve some tension off the spring of the damnable plunger extractor.
I understand why Remington never did any modifications to the action but I believe many of the clones do a better job of extraction and ejection without mitigating the design elements of the M700. The days are gone when the major manufacturers were the only offerings for hunters and competitors. The same can be said with chamberings. Some of the factory chamberings have been improved on to the benefit of hunters and competitors. Todays shooting community have more choices and better choices than ever and that's a good thing. A host of great chamberings have come from shooters and copied by major firearms manufacturers that managed to create their various design faults in order to claim it for themselves.
Thanks Boomer and Craigster. The one on eBay was used and after talking to Darrel Holland last night I asked him if we could use one I have on a donor action and he didn’t recommend it as it’s easy to screw it up during removal. I’m going to order the one Craigster found. Thanks to all that replied.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21

Why?

Nah, mine is..get a Model 70... smile
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Dale06: I am startled (puzzled?) at your contention regarding the XR-100's you own and shoot not "ejecting properly"!
I currently own and shoot 6 (six!) Remington XR-100's in various calibers and they ALL "eject properly"!
I am puzzled about your contention - maybe this question will clarify things - did they "eject properly" before they were "customized"?
I also have owned two other XR-100's and they also ejected properly.
The only caliber of Remington XR-100 I have not owned is the limited edition model in 308 Winchester - so can't comment on their extraction.
Puzzled here in Poughkeepsie?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Rainshot: I am also puzzled by your contention regarding "scarring" by Remington 700's "in caliber 223 Remington"?
I have been shooting Remington 700's in caliber 223 Remington for over half a century now (54 years actually) and have NEVER had a "scarring" problem interrupt my shooting sports!
I just checked my inventory and I currently own and shoot 11 (eleven!) Remington 700's in caliber 223 Remington and to date no "scarring" issues have affected me what so ever?
The only Remington bolt action Rifle I own that uses LaPua brass is a Remington XR-100 though - and it also does not suffer "scarring" during its operation.
How does the "scarring" you endure with Remington 700's in 223 Remington affect your shooting?
I remember as a young man when Remington introduced the 223 Remington cartridge - it first came out in their Remington 760 pump action Rifles IIRC. A couple years later it came out in the bolt Rifles (again IIRC).
Long live the 223 Remington cartridge.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: SKane Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dale06: I am startled (puzzled?) at your contention

Rainshot: I am also puzzled by your contention

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Rainshot: I am also puzzled by your contention regarding "scarring" by Remington 700's "in caliber 223 Remington"?
I have been shooting Remington 700's in caliber 223 Remington for over half a century now (54 years actually) and have NEVER had a "scarring" problem interrupt my shooting sports!
I just checked my inventory and I currently own and shoot 11 (eleven!) Remington 700's in caliber 223 Remington and to date no "scarring" issues have affected me what so ever?
The only Remington bolt action Rifle I own that uses LaPua brass is a Remington XR-100 though - and it also does not suffer "scarring" during its operation.
How does the "scarring" you endure with Remington 700's in 223 Remington affect your shooting?
I remember as a young man when Remington introduced the 223 Remington cartridge - it first came out in their Remington 760 pump action Rifles IIRC. A couple years later it came out in the bolt Rifles (again IIRC).
Long live the 223 Remington cartridge.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmint Guy: Just curious. the Remington 700 is a fine rifle but why own 11 in the same caliber?
Posted By: mathman Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Why not?
Lapua cases are the worst IN MY RIFLE. Yours may be different. Mine cut a grove across the rim of the case head when the bolt was crammed over. Also shaves brass.

Glad you found an easy solution.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
I bought a new Model & years ago in 223. I bought for the action, never did fire a shot through it, but put a Schneider barrel on it in 221 Fireball. It would drop every case back in the action. I put up with it for a long time then finally looked into it. I found the bolt nose where it overhangs the extractor was not machined back far enough and wouldn't allow the case to flip out. It scared every case. I took my Dremmel and started grinding back the overhang, after all, it doesn't need to hang over it any more than retain the extractor. Sure enough that was all it took. Cases flip right out and with some fine tuning of the ejector, cases fall about 3" from the gun, not tossed into the next zip code.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
LRI. They can do both the Sako and M16 as well as timing it or adding 2 extractors for ejection problems with it ejecting into the windage turret. LRI does nice work.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/22/21
Dale06: I am startled (puzzled?) at your contention regarding the XR-100's you own and shoot not "ejecting properly"!
I currently own and shoot 6 (six!) Remington XR-100's in various calibers and they ALL "eject properly"!
I am puzzled about your contention - maybe this question will clarify things - did they "eject properly" before they were "customized"?
I also have owned two other XR-100's and they also ejected properly.
The only caliber of Remington XR-100 I have not owned is the limited edition model in 308 Winchester - so can't comment on their extraction.
Puzzled here in Poughkeepsie?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My recollection is that the 20 vartarg and 22 ppc extracted from the chamber just fine but we’re not ejected from the action before the install of the Sako extractor. I believe that is because of the 20 vartarg and 22ppc are quite short cartridges compared to a 223 or 308, etc.
I certainly would not have had Sako extractors installed if the factory ejector worked properly.
Hope this makes sense.

I’m one of those who had a 700 extractor extract itself from inside the bolt face, finishing an elk hunt for me. Had a Sako installed in the mid-90’s and it worked very well for me for another 20 years.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I’m one of those who had a 700 extractor extract itself from inside the bolt face, finishing an elk hunt for me. Had a Sako installed in the mid-90’s and it worked very well for me for another 20 years.

Have you avoided other 700s since then? If that had been my experience, I likely would have...
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
LRI. They can do both the Sako and M16 as well as timing it or adding 2 extractors for ejection problems with it ejecting into the windage turret. LRI does nice work.

Thanks Aces if I can’t get the one I will contact them. Holland said to give him a couple of days as he’s busy as hell to see if he’s got one. I’ll probably order the one Craigster found any way and have Darrel install it as it never hurts to have something like it laying around.

I had a semi-custom 284 built on a SA 700 but added a Pacific Tool & gauge bolt that has a different type of extractor, much heavier.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/23/21
Copy. Thanks.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/23/21
PT&G uses a mini16 I think. I built a 220 Russian using one of their bolts. I also like the external bolt release. I think Remington could've modified the action some but never did. The Howa uses a mini 16 extractor and an external bolt release. It's a good action. The M700 is a decent action. I am just not a big fan of the extraction. Many of the later actions aren't timed very well and that could be improved on.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/23/21
I talked to PT&G yesterday and they had the M- 16 extractor but couldn’t do the work. They also told me that they were going to be building Remingtons bolts and would have OEM extractors in October or November
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/23/21
Some different takes on extraction solutions other than the original 700.

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Sako extractor Rem 700 - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by mathman
Why not?

11 mistakes in a row seems kind of...mental...
© 24hourcampfire