Home
I'd like to see my son go on a nice hunt or two while he's young and can still enjoy it but I know they can get expensive pretty quick. He's done well for himself so far and is in incredible shape so I'd love to see him have an opportunity to go after something bigger than our NE deer. What would you guys recommend?
Wish I were still living and working out there , he could just go hunting with us, pitch in setting up camp etc. Unfortunately, our old stomping grounds burned to a crisp last October. My fondest hunt as a guide, circa '93 , was guiding a young NE farmboy and another good dude from PA. The PA boy got a really nice 5x5 on opening day, the next day I birddogged the most ugly 4 point into this NE farmer and it was the happiest I have ever seen anyone on a hunt. Pert near brought tears to my eyes! He tipped me $400! I just did my job and the hunting gods put elk in our path! Good luck in your search and future hunts!
Maybe a hog hunt?
Budget ?

Bigger, like ? Brown Bear big, Yukon moose big, or Rocky Mtn Bull elk big ?

🦫
Caribou.
Hog hunts are fun. Someone here was posting on the classifieds. They are affordable and you get to shoot multiple hogs. I have done some culling on hunts to of stuff they needed removed. Also hunted varmints on them as well.
My suggestion would be for him to put in for everything he can, save the money on a guide. See what he draws and do it himself. Scout all he can, much more satisfaction than hiring a guide.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I'd like to see my son go on a nice hunt or two while he's young and can still enjoy it but I know they can get expensive pretty quick. He's done well for himself so far and is in incredible shape so I'd love to see him have an opportunity to go after something bigger than our NE deer. What would you guys recommend?

If he's in good shape many DYI public opportunities in western states under 2 k. I have buddies in their 60's take many nice animals on DYI hunts

Good guided hunt will run your son 4k minimum for a good deer hunt. Elk 8 k, moose12 k plus airfare . He better start saving up or use google earth and start doing research
Originally Posted by SandBilly
My suggestion would be for him to put in for everything he can, save the money on a guide. See what he draws and do it himself. Scout all he can, much more satisfaction than hiring a guide.

Words of wisdom.

A lot of help available for DIY hunts without using a guide. Just need to make the effort and plan.

🦫
You didn’t mention budget but Africa would be a hunt he’d never forget and is a lot more affordable than most people think. He could probably shoot several plains game animals taxidermy and airfare included for about what one fully guided elk or moose hunt would cost.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Maybe a hog hunt?

My brother just moved to Alabama last year so some hog hunts will definitely be on the agenda. For this, I was thinking more along the lines of an elk, bear, ?? I think under $5k would be a good start but, depending on the animal(moose, etc.)/location, I realize that may be low. If he would need to start putting in for certain tags to get preference points, that's something he may need to think about as well. I've always hunted on my own so I really don't have a reference of any kind for guided hunts so any input (states, outfitters, realistic costs, etc.) would be appreciated.
If he's in "incredible" shape then I'd sure be looking at something in the mountains to capitalize on that.
Elk, mule deer or something like that. Maybe west Texas barbary. Normal sheep/goat hunts are pricey and I suspect more than you're wanting to deal with.

Mountain lion behind hounds could be a good one. They're not too expensive generally, outside of normal hunting seasons and in the right situation can be one hell of a physical hunt.
Maine black bear is cheap {2k} with a high success rate.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
You didn’t mention budget but Africa would be a hunt he’d never forget and is a lot more affordable than most people think. He could probably shoot several plains game animals taxidermy and airfare included for about what one fully guided elk or moose hunt would cost.

He said a Journeyman he works with in the electrical union is over there right now. That would definitely make for some incredible memories! With all this Covid crap, I thought Africa might be a risky proposition but maybe it's more viable than I thought.

He said a Journeyman he works with in the electrical union is over there right now. That would definitely make for some incredible memories! With all this Covid crap, I thought Africa might be a risky proposition but maybe it's more viable than I thought.

Your son is an adult?
To echo comments made above, Africa or Auodad (Barbary Sheep) two extremes in budget.

Africa especially plains game is a great value and a stunning experience if it falls within your budget.
Newfoundland moose
Originally Posted by ribka

Your son is an adult?

Pay attention Sherlock
Originally Posted by JeffP
Newfoundland moose

+1

My son and I both went, shot 2 moose and had a bear tag also for $6.5k.
Originally Posted by JeffP
Newfoundland moose

^^This^^ ......... The ferry to NFLD is packed with American sports every year who think it's a good deal. BTDT myself.
Colorado elk and deer.
Ontario black bear hunt is a very cost effective hunt.... go out fishing every morning... get back at noon.... eat fish until you can't sit upright... then 2pm or so head out and sit until dark. Very high success rate.. beautiful country.

For this, I was thinking more along the lines of an elk, bear, ?? I think under $5k would be a good start but, depending on the animal(moose, etc.)/location, I realize that may be low.

It's nice of you to be looking out for your son's pocketbook.

But..

Seeking out the cheapest outfitter you can find for a Elk/Bear hunt will lead you directly to the lesser quality Outfitters in the business.

You have to ask yourselves this, "why would they be cheaper than the other guys"?

It's either going to be the show they put on or the country they have available to hunt. Something is causing them to have to offer that reduced rate.

It'd be much like me attempting to find a quality union electrical contractor to wire my new home for around 5K.

It ain't gonna happen.

But I might find some fly by night schmuck that would take my 5K and make a feeble attempt.

I was charging $4800.00 for a 10 day, combo elk/deer/bear hunt in Montana 30 years ago.

Ante up, hire a quality outfitter, enjoy a quality hunt,, harvast a quality Bull Elk, make it the hunt of a lifetime.

Hunt America, keep your hard earned dollars in the USA, support our hospitality industry, it's been a rough couple years. 🇺🇸
Originally Posted by JeffA

For this, I was thinking more along the lines of an elk, bear, ?? I think under $5k would be a good start but, depending on the animal(moose, etc.)/location, I realize that may be low.

It's nice of you to be looking out for your son's pocketbook.

But..

Seeking out the cheapest outfitter you can find for a Elk/Bear hunt will lead you directly to the lesser quality Outfitters in the business.

You have to ask yourselves this, "why would they be cheaper than the other guys"?

It's either going to be the show they put on or the country they have available to hunt. Something is causing them to have to offer that reduced rate.

It'd be much like me attempting to find a quality union electrical contractor to wire my new home for around 5K.

It ain't gonna happen.

But I might find some fly by night schmuck that would take my 5K and make a feeble attempt.

I was charging $4800.00 for a 10 day, combo elk/deer/bear hunt in Montana 30 years ago.

Ante up, hire a quality outfitter, enjoy a quality hunt,, harvast a quality Bull Elk, make it the hunt of a lifetime.

Hunt America, keep your hard earned dollars in the USA, support our hospitality industry, it's been a rough couple years. 🇺🇸

And you're not required to be vaccinated to cross the Communist border.
Originally Posted by ribka

Your son is an adult?

Yep. Very responsible and fine young man.
I would recommend a wilderness hunt in the Bob Marshall for elk & deer and possibly bear and wolf. It will be a tough hunt in true wilderness with a modest to low success rate.
The experience cannot be beat and the young & fit can make the best of it.
This is different than a ranch hunt, it is hard and rugged, you tag a bull in the wilderness you have accomplished something. The prices are reasonable, the experience world class.
I highly recommend Micky Cheff of Montana Cheff outfitters. https://www.bmwcheffoutfitters.com/ the Cheff's run several camps I have hunted out of the Bartlett creek camp.
He is a third generation outfitter and runs a great camp and his horses are amazing, very important to have good mountain horses.
Title = oxymoron.
That's a great recommendation.
I'm familiar with that area and the Cheff camps.

They can offer a true back country hunting experience in some amazingly beautiful country.

A guy will also have the opportunity to apply for a Moose and Goat tag for that general area. The odds of being drawn are slim but atleast the opportunity is there.

Most Outfitters do not add additional fees if one is forchanet enough to obtain such a tag, not sure if Cheff has a extra fee or not.

A word of warning, his camps are deep in the wilderness area.
His main base camp at the mouth of Gordon Creek is a 29 mile ride from the trailhead, I believe the Bartlett camp is similar.

That's a long day in the saddle for a inexperienced rider.
Probably in the neighborhood of 9 hours +or-.
It also consumes the first and last day of your hunt.

The are other Outfitters in that area, most often they respect each other's hunting areas but that doesn't hold true with private parties that venture in with their own livestock.

These camps are scattered along the South Fork of the Flathead River. There is a abundance of open parks along the river that offer premium horse graze that attracts more private parties than some other areas in the Bob Marshall.
Try contacting Jeanne Horne, with J Bar H Outfitters in Colorado. She was the Outfitter of the year a few years ago and is outstanding. Her hunts book one to two years in advance and her repeat business is strong. We have used her several times and are all very happy with her staff and hunts. I believe she charges around $5,000 for a guided hunt. It would be a great place to learn how to hunt Elk. Then your son could go on his own. Good luck to you both.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Title = oxymoron.

I understand there's a corellation between cost and experience and thank everyone that's taken the time to give meaningful feedback/options so far.
© 24hourcampfire