Home
Posted By: jnyork Wild horse roundup in Wyoming - 09/28/21
Long article here: https://trib.com/news/state-and-reg...ad05571-e653-5ad9-a3a7-b3b8390c2fc1.html
I'm completely ignorant on this. Why do they have to return some of them? Can't they all be pimped out? Does anyone want them? Shoot em and feed em to the bears?
only got two sentences in before "complete this survey popped up"

but the title says half and the first sentence says "most in five management areas"...
Mmmmm ... horse burgers. The other red meat!
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm completely ignorant on this. Why do they have to return some of them? Can't they all be pimped out? Does anyone want them? Shoot em and feed em to the bears?
It is kind of odd that we can shoot invasive and destructive wild hogs but invasive non native horses can't be shot and left for the environment to absorb. I know, horses are pretty and women love them.
Anybody ever ate horse?
Heck,, I'd take a couple for the freezer.
Dog food is getting expensive.
Posted By: krp Re: Wild horse roundup in Wyoming - 09/28/21
There's a couple hundred 5 miles from my house on the salt river, they have their own facebook page and even a calendar. Horsetards got the governor to make them protected. They destroy the environment and are out of control.

Those folks don't know chit about horses and why they are there now. They claim they are descended from 400 years ago. They weren't there in the 60s and 70s, I fished/hunted/frog gigged/tramped around that whole area growing up... no horses unless it was the rancher's horses with the cattle. My brother managed the restaurant up at the lake in the late 70s, FS had a roundup of wild domestics and caught 2 burros.

First horses I saw there was about 2008. People were taking them out and abandoning them as they couldn't sell them or give them away. They couldn't feed them because of the economy bust or their places were going to foreclosure. Dad boards a few horses for friends and the place next door is a commercial operation for boarding with arena and all. We were constantly offered free horses.

Now every time I drive that road I see large herds all over. Their fan club will be parked, they wear orange safely vests, look ridicules, ooohing and uhhhing.

There's over a thousand up in the mountains where I hunt, both state and reservation, also started about 15 years ago, 2 herds in my camp a month ago.

They are destroying the areas and pushing wildlife out.

Kent
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Heck,, I'd take a couple for the freezer.
Dog food is getting expensive.
Dog food isn't near as good as it was when horse meat was available and the zoo animals are being fed expensive beef because they can't get the lions and tigers interested in salad. All this while horses and donkeys belonging to no one run wild and eat up the range.
Originally Posted by krp
There's a couple hundred 5 miles from my house on the salt river, they have their own facebook page and even a calendar. Horsetards got the governor to make them protected. They destroy the environment and are out of control.

Those folks don't know chit about horses and why they are there now. They claim they are descended from 400 years ago. They weren't there in the 60s and 70s, I fished/hunted/frog gigged/tramped around that whole area growing up... no horses unless it was the rancher's horses with the cattle. My brother managed the restaurant up at the lake in the late 70s, FS had a roundup of wild domestics and caught 2 burros.

First horses I saw there was about 2008. People were taking them out and abandoning them as they couldn't sell them or give them away. They couldn't feed them because of the economy bust or their places were going to foreclosure. Dad boards a few horses for friends and the place next door is a commercial operation for boarding with arena and all. We were constantly offered free horses.

Now every time I drive that road I see large herds all over. Their fan club will be parked, they wear orange safely vests, look ridicules, ooohing and uhhhing.

There's over a thousand up in the mountains where I hunt, both state and reservation, also started about 15 years ago, 2 herds in my camp a month ago.

Kent

it is my understanding that domesticated horses when turned loose in the wilds, i.e. desert, don't know how to survive, and will die in some cases a slow death. that area up near payson, people are finding dead horses that have been shot.
Originally Posted by Hastings
It is kind of odd that we can shoot invasive and destructive wild hogs but invasive non native horses can't be shot and left for the environment to absorb. I know, horses are pretty and women love them.

Wild Horse and Burro Act. Thank congress.
S.S.S.
Wild and Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_and_Free-Roaming_Horses_and_Burros_Act_of_1971

92nd congress. Dems held House and Senate. Unanimously passed in both chambers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/92nd_United_States_Congress
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Wild horse roundup in Wyoming - 09/28/21

Back in the 1950s there were a bunch of so called wild horses and jackasses in N.W Colorado, ranchers would shoot them, the studs caused problems with ranch horses, there was a group of town " Cowboy's" that would gather a bunch every year, and sell them to a killer buyer, and then take the money and buy kegs of beer, hot dogs and the rest of picnic stuff, then they would have a Wild Horse Party, down by the old river bridge swimming hole, that was one hell of a party, I always wanted to go gather a bunch, and sell them for some spending money, but my Grandfather, wouldn't let me,he always said don't ruin a good horse chasing a sorry horse. so we just shot them when they were where we could. we kept the # down, now the government is spending a Billion $$$$ a year taking care of them, What a JOKE . Rio7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: krp Re: Wild horse roundup in Wyoming - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

it is my understanding that domesticated horses when turned loose in the wilds, i.e. desert, don't know how to survive, and will die in some cases a slow death. that area up near payson, people are finding dead horses that have been shot.

Used to be you could shoot feral horses. Those horses shot up there last year, 16 were found... it caused an uproar and offer of reward with threats of Forest service hunting the shooter down. Maybe they are protected up there now, I'm sick of reading stupid chit and not going to look and find out.

Damn liberal transplants moving into these areas are a disease.

Kent
Thank Annie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velma_Bronn_Johnston
Filly Mignon or Porterhorse Steak.
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Used to be you could shoot feral horses. Those horses shot up there last year, 16 were found... it caused an uproar and offer of reward with threats of Forest service hunting the shooter down. Maybe they are protected up there now, I'm sick of reading stupid chit and not going to look and find out.

Damn liberal transplants moving into these areas are a disease.

Kent

LOL It's not new.
Regardless, the 6mm Remington is a known cure...

Coccccksucker dogooders rather have feral trash than desert bighorn.
Just introduce more wolves.....
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Just introduce more wolves.....
Won't work, cattle are much easier prey than horses. Donkeys can handle bad dogs, maybe wolves also.
The wild horse and burro act has had huge unintended consequences and they are a big problem all over the west. Prior to this being passed, locals pretty much kept the feral herds under control. The federal government actually pays some ranchers to feed feral horses rather than run cattle. The federal government spends millions of dollars annually to manage these animals but they are not allowed to euthanize them. The wolf program is pretty much being managed the same way by a different branch of the government. Government pretty much screws up everything they get involved in.
Invasive species should be eliminated.
Bully Beef was what my father in-law said is horse meat which many World War 2 soldiers were fed .
The French are big on horse meat to my understanding.
S.S.S.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Word.
S.S.S.

Damn, that's a lot of shoveling.
Originally Posted by Raferman
Anybody ever ate horse?

Probably thousands and thousands have and
never knew it
Most likely everybody here too
A national treasure.

A legacy of the American west.

A native American tradition.

Majestic.

Natural.

All horsechit of course. In most areas it's well beyond the scope of the agencies' authority and budgets to handle in any meaningful way. Thus a self-perpetuating cyclic government circlejerk ensues. Welcome to the real American Western tradition.
Originally Posted by OldHat

Better known as "French Steak."

L.W.
I had a horsemeat steak while travelling in Italy many years ago. Reminded me of bison.

I prefer beef, but I'd eat it again. I liked it better than pork.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Wild and Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_and_Free-Roaming_Horses_and_Burros_Act_of_1971

92nd congress. Dems held House and Senate. Unanimously passed in both chambers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/92nd_United_States_Congress

Correct, though I do not know about it being an unanimous decision.
I know of a jurisdiction where the agency got the authority to remove most, but, not all ferel horses and burros. They had to leave some, albeit sterilized, for the tourons to gaze upon in majestic wonder.. Ridiculous.
I hate Wiki but......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_megafauna
Horse meat
the breakfast of Iditarod champions.
Originally Posted by OldHat

Before Wild-ass Annie caused all the hysteria over these FERAL land locusts we would pop yearlings and take out the backstraps and upper rounds. They were great eating. Dog food makers created a market for the others, and our populations were stable and in check.

SHOOT THEM ALL!! mad
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
A national treasure.

A legacy of the American west.

A native American tradition.

Majestic.

Natural.

All horsechit of course. In most areas it's well beyond the scope of the agencies' authority and budgets to handle in any meaningful way. Thus a self-perpetuating cyclic government circlejerk ensues. Welcome to the real American Western tradition.

Corruption and big money keep them overpopulated. Catching, feeding, and moving them is big business and totally corrupt...bribes and kickbacks.
Originally Posted by StGeorger

smile

MtnBoomer , I've read about Anne before , doogooder bleeding heart womern to the rescue - again .

Feral horses tear the hell out of land - the Owyhee Desert in SW Idaho has huge areas of damage , WAY worse than what I've seen hogs do .
$120 M

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF11060
I've eaten horse meat in Belgium on numerous occasions. Good stuff and was popular in restaurants.
Hate the term "wild horses" They're not wild, they are feral livestock destroying the habitat. The only actual wild horses are in Mongolia

Burros are even worse. If you want to displace and kill off native animal populations, burros will do it. Rangers used to do educational programs for school kids about native fauna NW of Phoenix. That ended because of the burros - nothing to see. Rangers also had to warn parents visiting the wildlife education center up by Lake Pleasant to watch for the burros and get the kids indoors if you spotted any. They wouldn't hesitate to attack the kids - the most dangerous animal out there.
I didn't realize those donkeys are such a problem.
Seems they're like wild hogs you can't shoot.
Yeah, when my boys were little, I was one of the designated dads to handle such outings with the school group. Rangers I talked to were frustrated since anything considered harassment of the animals could result in federal charges. They literally weren't even allowed to yell at them in an attempt to chase them off. The burros had federally mandated free run of everything not fenced off.

They had zero fear or respect for people. Coyotes raiding the trash would dash off if you picked up a rock, not them.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by StGeorger

smile

MtnBoomer , I've read about Anne before , doogooder bleeding heart womern to the rescue - again .

Feral horses tear the hell out of land - the Owyhee Desert in SW Idaho has huge areas of damage , WAY worse than what I've seen hogs do .

That's getting awful close to God's Country. 😁 When getting out towards Rome, Burns Junction, McD, one is nearing the edge, not middle, of nowhere. For the peanut gallery, the largest tract of land in the lwr 48 without a permanent residence.... Or so the story goes.

Hate to be that guy, but, the 6.5 Creedmoor would be dandy feral de equine medicine...
I've had zebra. Can't say it was much different than the cape buffalo or the giraffe. It's all good when you're hungry.
Feral horses are a cancer upon the face of the West. Never any such thing as wild populations, they didn't exist on this continent prior to the Spaniard landings and conquests. But all those cat women Julias who didn't get a pony, can't keep a pony now....oh, my goodness, the LOVE they show.
Rancher folks used to joke about this one herd being called wild, especially since a couple had shoes!
Didn't Wyoming just kill a bunch of mountain goats because they were living in a non-native mtn range or some BS? Yet the horses get a free pass...
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Didn't Wyoming just kill a bunch of mountain goats because they were living in a non-native mtn range or some BS? Yet the horses get a free pass...

See Wild Horse and Burro Act information above.

WA State has done the same.

I have often wondered just exactly how it was determined that the Tetons were non-native a non-native moutain goat range. It sure appears to be pretty good goat country to me, especially since the "non-natives" are thriving there.

drover
© 24hourcampfire