Home
Posted By: papalondog Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Tired of the cheap stuff. Squinting a lot while driving. Put a set of nicer glasses on today and wow. I need a decent set of sun glasses. Driving and fishing will include the main activities. Suggestions??
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Costa or Maui Jim. Both are polarized.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Smith; have used them for 30 years. Great customer service
Posted By: visalia6mm Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Couldn’t be happier with the costa 580g lense
Posted By: K1500 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Costa 580g blue mirror.
Posted By: antlers Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
I have Smith’s and SPY’s. Love em’.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Smith’s and Oakley’s.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
When I hunt I use WileyX because of the Z87 ballistic lenses. When I drive and fish Maui Jim’s.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly

+1

just try em on before you buy.

Bass pro carries both, in the sunglass hut section.

ive got a melon head, only certain styles (wide) fit me.

Posted By: RickBin Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Glass is sharper … but get impact-resistant poly for fishing. You can use them for shooting too.

You’ll never notice the difference … unless it saves your eye.

Ever seen a fishhook in an eyeball? I came THIS CLOSE.

I just ordered another set of Costa Fisch in my new Rx, 580P Trivex lenses … these with gray lenses no mirror.

Shooting, bird hunting, fishing, driving …
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Costa if you want the best; I like the Blackfin model.

Hobie if you want something pretty damn good for half the price of the Costa.

MM
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Per Costa’s website green is for freshwater, blue is for salt water and amber or grey whatever is low light. Not sure that it makes a difference at all though between blue and green.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21

Maui Jim or Smith

👍🏼🦫
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Another vote for Costa's
Posted By: deflave Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Aviators.

Ray Bans only.
Posted By: coobie Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Aviators.

Ray Bans only.
Come on man.. laugh
Posted By: colodog Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Polarized Aviators , brown work best for me.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Oakleys _ I have prescription lenses, costs about a new car payment! Well worth it, though I am dreading when my prescription changes and I have to get new lenses.....

VA does not cover these.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Bifocal.... polarized... impact resistant.... under 40bucks....

www.fullsource.com/edge-eyewear-tdz216-2-0-g2/
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Never tried a pair of Costas so can’t comment and unfamiliar with price. Haven’t strayed from Maui Jim’s since I bought first pair about 20 years ago. Great for fishing.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Smith Optics, been using them for 25 years. If you want fishing glasses designed for fresh water, not salt water, the Smith is the answer. Costa and Maui Jim's coatings are designed more for salt water in my opinion.

I just purchased a new pair to replace one I have had for years that unfortunately I destroyed due to my stupidity.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Does Smith still position their temple tips to scratch the schit out of the lenses when folded? I used to have several pairs, but quit them because of that. Maui Jim and Oakley since then.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
There seems to be a lot of high priced branding going on with sun glasses these days. I guess it's worth it for some.

I've always done fine with a decent no-name polarized for a lot less.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Polarization works great for reducing glare. However, it has a big drawback. If your phone, GPS, or other device has a polarized screen or screen protector, you can only hold it one way. If you turn it 90 degrees, it will black out. Two polarized lenses don't work well together. When you buy sunglasses, look at your phone while holding it in both directions to see if there's a problem.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Rayban P polarized Aviators. Catch the biggest fish and get the hottest chicks. Magnum approves.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Sunglasses are identical to shoes and boots, fit is the most important criteria.

I've had Costa, Maui Jim and now even Wiley X.

All good to great, with the right fit.

Go to Costas website, look at all the different dimensions for width, length, temple, bridge.....
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Costa or smith
Posted By: viking Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Tac Vision 😆
Posted By: horse1 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by RickBin
Trivex lenses …

Assuming one has a total need of ~ -4 diopters or less of correction, the above is the solution. The human eye can detect an ABBE value of ~45. Trivex has an ABBE value of 43, it's almost as good as the human eye can detect and it's as impact resistant (safe) as polycarbonate. Polycarbonate has an ABBE value of 31-33 and gets pushed heavily by the optical industry because it's impact resistant (safe), cheap, and very easy to edge into a frame. Trivex costs a bit more, takes ~3x-4x longer to edge, and needs the edging tools replaced more often.

If you're hyperopic and your correction is "+" and more than ~+1.50, just skip all of the wrapped versions from everyone as you'll likely never be happy. "+" lenses are thicker in the middle and thin as they reach the edges which "splays" the bows out, doesn't matter who's lenses/frames you're buying, you can't fight physics. Pick out a relatively flat frame if you're a hyperope.

I have multiple prescription sunglasses, 3 sets of Maui Jim, 2 Costa (one glass, one Trivex), 2 Oakley. The Maui's are my favorite. Maui's rose polarized is easily my favorite "All-Around" lens color for driving, fishing, shooting, hunting.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
I am a fan of Smith's, particularly their curved aviator. The Serpico model with the golden brown lens is uber.

They do a great job of keeping dust out of my eyes/contacts.

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/s...CyczQ6KHxE5qnX5oOZlNdk83iDRoCLpwQAvD_BwE
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Wrap around bifocal's Ebay.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Much as I'd like to, I can't wear wrap arounds - they can't make them in my prescription.
Posted By: goalie Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Polarization works great for reducing glare. However, it has a big drawback. If your phone, GPS, or other device has a polarized screen or screen protector, you can only hold it one way. If you turn it 90 degrees, it will black out. Two polarized lenses don't work well together. When you buy sunglasses, look at your phone while holding it in both directions to see if there's a problem.

If I'm outdoors doing stuff, my phone is very far down my list of priorities.....
Posted By: ledvm Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Oakley is good and tough but hard to find ones not gawdy. Maui Jim is good but most of their frames are too flimsy for my use. Ray Ban’s have been the best for me.

I had to switch to prescription before Costa became popular.

Now I wear prescription progressive lenses in Ray Ban frames.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
A year ago I would've said Maui Jim. I've worn MJ Stingrays for years and they're damn near bullet proof. Never babied them and never had to worry about scratches, etc.

Then I bought a pair of prescription MJ Southern Cross and they've been a huge disappointment especially for what they cost. The lenses are easily scratched and both nose pieces have come off. One I found and glued back in place and the other I had to buy a replacement. Nowhere near the quality of the Stingrays I've had.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Some on here have mentioned Smith. I have a pair of Smith Tempo Max that i love for fishing. They are a wrap around style with no frame on bottom so I don't get fogged when wearing a hat while fishing in the heat. Unfortunately one of the bow arms broke where it passes the ear. I sent a request for warranty and they said OK and gave me a $200. dollar credit for a new pair. The bad part is they no longer sell the model I had and said they can't repair them even something as simple as a bow. So I have a voucher for a new pair of glasses I don't want. I wouldn't recommend Smith to anyone and make sure when I get a chance I tell my story on social media. What good is a warranty if you can't get what you own fixed or replaced. I notice they have been bought out by some foreign company and suspect the stellar reputation they once had for quality and service is gone.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Ray Bans with B-15 lenses is my go to. Has been for years. Bolle is a choice of mine as well.

Not now but 25 years ago I had 20/13 vision. My eyes could see sub par lenses from a mile away. Unbelievable the crap that was being sold for big bucks, just because they were a fad.

But, only your eyes can tell you. An optometrist was examining me & ask if I wore sunglasses a lot & I answered yes. He then said; bet ya like brown lenses. WTF? I thought. He tried to explain, but of course it was over my head. But he was right, I like them.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
I'm still sporting a pair of Gargoyles from the 90's
Posted By: krp Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Ray Ban Wayfarer

Some years ago I bought some used frames with prescription lenses in a lot for cheap. Then on ebay found a lot of new sunglass lenses that were taken out by a eyeglass retailer to put prescriptions in the frames, I got 6 pairs of new lenses for 100 bucks, a couple were polarized.

Cost 40 bucks a pair for 3 and still have extra lenses when needed.

Kent
Posted By: gunzo Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Dale Earnhardt & Aahnold sold a lot of glasses for them didn't they ?

Yep, they sold me a couple pairs. I still wear my Predators some.
Posted By: blacktailbuster Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Switched from rayban to Maui jim this past summer. I won't be going back. Raybans are good I just prefer mj. I got the kanaio coast and love em.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21

Got my first pair of good sunglasses last year.

Stepped up to Maui Jim's from RayBan's.

About $100. at Costco.

Always had to pull off sunglasses when driving through shady spots. No longer!

My Wife liked 'em so well that she bought herself a pr. also.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Does Smith still position their temple tips to scratch the schit out of the lenses when folded? I used to have several pairs, but quit them because of that. Maui Jim and Oakley since then.

I have never experienced that problem with the 4 or 5 different styles I have used over the years but they make 100's of styles of frames so I could see how some could have that problem. I have only used the Fishing Line of their offerings though.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Some on here have mentioned Smith. I have a pair of Smith Tempo Max that i love for fishing. They are a wrap around style with no frame on bottom so I don't get fogged when wearing a hat while fishing in the heat. Unfortunately one of the bow arms broke where it passes the ear. I sent a request for warranty and they said OK and gave me a $200. dollar credit for a new pair. The bad part is they no longer sell the model I had and said they can't repair them even something as simple as a bow. So I have a voucher for a new pair of glasses I don't want. I wouldn't recommend Smith to anyone and make sure when I get a chance I tell my story on social media. What good is a warranty if you can't get what you own fixed or replaced. I notice they have been bought out by some foreign company and suspect the stellar reputation they once had for quality and service is gone.

I had that same issue with Smith. They warranted a pair I had for 12 years, which I though was outstanding, but they did not have that same style available and had to give me credit for something else. Fortunately they had something I liked even better. They seem to change frame styles almost yearly with very few of their glasses staying in the lineup more than 5 years. The only exception is their Guide Fishing Glasses which have been around for many years.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
I have Maui Jim, Oakley, Ray Ban and Costa. Each has their purpose and wear them accordingly. All have been very solid.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Biden endorsed Aviators.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Biden endorsed Aviators.

Do they increase your sense of smell?
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

I had that same issue with Smith. They warranted a pair I had for 12 years, which I though was outstanding, but they did not have that same style available and had to give me credit for something else. Fortunately they had something I liked even better. They seem to change frame styles almost yearly with very few of their glasses staying in the lineup more than 5 years. The only exception is their Guide Fishing Glasses which have been around for many years.
Yes I agree. The style of the tempo max is different from anything they currently sell. They it me like a glove and didn't fog. Easy to wear on my face and even on top of my hat/ visor when I didn't need them. All their current models look about like the guide fishing glasses. I tried on a similar pair of costas at a bass pro that looked like that didn't like the fit,
Posted By: Windfall Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
It depends on what I'm doing. For years I wore a pair of Ambermatic Nikon polarized aviator sun glasses because they changed with the light intensity and accentuated the reds and greens. No small thing for driving. Then I bought a car with a heads up display and because of the polarization, the heads up display disappears. I thought they were great for fishing until the dermatologist cut a Basel cell carcinoma out of my eyebrow. You don't put sunscreen on your eyebrows, but the sun gets in there with the aviators. The wife's late former husband was a private pilot and I inherited his Biden look alike green aviator Ray Bans which I still prefer for driving. For fishing I know the blue lenses are all the rage, but everything Costa says they are best for salt water. I was going to go to Daytona where Costa's are made, but they don't have a factory outlet store. Bass Pro in Orlando had the absolute largest selection of Costa sunglasses and wow, did I ever learn a lesson about not just picking something out of a catalog. I knew that I wanted glass polarized and thought I knew the frame, but I didn't. Costa makes 74 different sunglass frames and the Permit XL fit my wider face shape better than anything. Out of the seven different glass lenses that they make I thought I wanted mirrored lenses, the copper silver mirrored or the green mirrored. Nope again. They let me take examples of each outside to look at their pool in front of the store and nothing worked as well as the non-mirrored copper lenses. Ideal for fresh water fishing, but the Biden Ray Bans for driving and looking cool.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Roka Phantom in titanium.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Get some of those new 1920 x 1080 high definition ones they advertise on TV.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Maui Jim. Wear mine every day all day. Have 2 sets of frames on their 3rd set of lenses. Smiths are really nice too. Had two pair of Costa’s, Not impressed.
For a mid price try natives. Have two pair of Native Kodiaks I keep in the truck if we’re pouring concrete or cutting rebar. Use them as loaners. Not that bad.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Ocean Waves or Smith’s…
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
My wife asked for a pair of polarized Wiley X for Christmas last year. Got the best price at Midway.
She's happy with them.

Walmart shades work for me.
Posted By: Klaus Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Here is another plus for costa
Posted By: Lonny Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Wiley X here.

Not saying they are the best, but no matter the brand, get something with the Z87.1 safety lens. I wear mine almost constantly outdoors and working. The safety lens saved my eye when a wire broken wire snapped back and hit me in the center of the lens. Put a one heckuva mark in the lens, but no damage to me.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
I wear Wiley-X almost exclusively. Great glasses, but more importantly they protect your eyes. You never know when you will need eye protection, and it's always better to have it ...
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Sunglasses - 10/02/21
Wife and I are sunglasses nerds. We’ve worn and owned several brands. Lots of good stuff out there. We fish and boat a lot and they are absolutely necessary. In no order Maui Jim, Costa, Salt Life(Nikon lenses), and new company WaterLand, WL are really great glasses and much less expensive than most of the bigs. I recommend them highly.
Posted By: bobhanson1 Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Polarized prescription Oakley's have worked for me for 20+ years. A pair generally lasts 5+ years with daily use, 2 pairs I've had for 10+ years with intermittent wear. Had one pair that the lens coating started to peel off of, but that was sunscreen induced and didn't start until their 4th or 5th year of wear.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Leupold Sunglasses are damn good for the money. They are available from around $90.00 to about $140.00 right now. Very clear first pair of expensive sunglasses I have bought. I really like them.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I wear Wiley-X almost exclusively. Great glasses, but more importantly they protect your eyes. You never know when you will need eye protection, and it's always better to have it ...

Oakley’s have the same safety protection rating.
That being said, Wiley-X are very good glasses for the money.
I’ve owned several pair r dove hunting over the years.
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Leupold Sunglasses are damn good for the money. They are available from around $90.00 to about $140.00 right now. Very clear first pair of expensive sunglasses I have bought. I really like them.

Shhhh. Stick will be along to tell us they suck.

Wonder if he puts tape on his glasses too ? 🤪
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Aviators.

Ray Bans only.

Comes with this too

LOL

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Aviators.

Ray Bans only.

Comes with this too

LOL
🦫

LMAO !
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by papalondog
Tired of the cheap stuff. Squinting a lot while driving. Put a set of nicer glasses on today and wow. I need a decent set of sun glasses. Driving and fishing will include the main activities. Suggestions??

I paid a bit extra to have my last Rx safety glasses tinted and polarized. Driving, boating, fishing, and shooting.

Second pair made this way. The last went from my T shirt pocket, over the side of the boat, to the bottom of the lake. Now I keep them on a silly looking little lanyard.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
I went to my cave & found a pair of Smiths & Costas.

My Smiths look like 1990's ski bum shades & not my lens color so haven't worn them. But checked them out again & the lens quality didn't impress. Maybe the newer ones are better?

The Costas, killer lenses IMO. Even though they're not my color, they'll go into rotation. Maybe the dark grey good for a certain time of year or activity?

So many votes for Maui's here. Gotta have a look. Crap! they're a buck or a 150 & more. Even with cautious shopping.
Posted By: johnw Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Light, fairly comfortable even for melonheads, and can be had in dark enough shades
And cheap...

[Linked Image from gearcor.com]

Light, very comfortable, polarized, and virtually scratch proof
Spendy...

[Linked Image from images.eyeglasses.com]

Joe Cool rockin' the Maui Jim Red Sands...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Posted By: hookeye Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Raybans way back. Then Oakleys.
I have gone the cheap route these days- Magpul.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Glass lens Costa will improve your vision. If you need non polarized, Ray Ban.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Has anyone tried Shady Ray’s?
Posted By: papalondog Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Great conversations and advice. I have been researching. More education needed. WHAT COLOR lenses. Mostly for driving but would like them to work on the water too. Thanks guys and gals. (I only accept 2 genders…..sorry.)
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Great conversations and advice. I have been researching. More education needed. WHAT COLOR lenses. Mostly for driving but would like them to work on the water too. Thanks guys and gals. (I only accept 2 genders…..sorry.)

I like brown polarized in my Maui’s. Have blue in my Costa’s.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Sunglasses are identical to shoes and boots, fit is the most important criteria.

I've had Costa, Maui Jim and now even Wiley X.

All good to great, with the right fit.

Go to Costas website, look at all the different dimensions for width, length, temple, bridge.....

Correct. I'm on the water almost every day. You don't want you shades to hurt you. Costa Brine is the style that fits me.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I like brown polarized in my Maui’s. Have blue in my Costa’s.

I prefer brown myself. We wear sunglasses even when it's overcast because of the glare. Blue is a little too dark for me in those conditions.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
I buy non-polarized for all day, every day stuff.

The amount of schit you can’t see with polarized lenses is growing every day. If on the water or know that I’m going to be recreating outside all day, I much prefer polarized.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sunglasses - 10/03/21
Aviators.

Ray Bans only.

Comes with this too

LOL

🦫

Rumor is that’s what kingston uses to pump you full of ice cream.

LOL
Posted By: kingston Re: Sunglasses - 10/04/21
Aviators.

Ray Bans only.

Comes with this too

LOL

🦫

Rumor is that’s what kingston uses to pump you full of ice cream.

LOL

Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Sunglasses - 10/04/21
Best sunglasses I ever owned were 1st gen Rayban Predators.

Bought several pair when they first came out 20+ years ago.

Lost my last pair couple years ago.

Since then whatever I find at Costco I like.
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: Sunglasses - 10/04/21

This. I've owned 3 pairs of Costas and a pair of Mauis. Both are excellent. If I was forced to point out a negative, it would be the weight, but that's what you get with quality glass lenses. That being said, they still aren't heavy.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Sunglasses - 10/05/21

I actually liked dark rose color for shooting, especially through optics.

On the water or driving, especially driving in a snow covered world with bright sun.......BROWN and polarized.

But no. They are not compatible with LCD displays at the grocery checkout, nor probably many other electronic devices.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Sunglasses - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Much as I'd like to, I can't wear wrap arounds - they can't make them in my prescription.

Same here.
Posted By: EdM Re: Sunglasses - 10/05/21
Gypo's when I fish (a couple times a year) otherwise I have never worn them.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Sunglasses - 10/05/21
She had a west coast strut that was sweet as molasses, but what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Sunglasses - 10/06/21
I've worn Revo's for several years. Never had a problem with them. Really like them for driving.
Posted By: pupjoint Re: Sunglasses - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by K1500
Costa 580g blue mirror.

I have 2 pair of Costa 1 blue mirror and 1 green mirror both glass and love them, best money spent
© 24hourcampfire