Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dale Earnhardt & Aahnold sold a lot of glasses for them didn't they ?

Yep, they sold me a couple pairs. I still wear my Predators some.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Switched from rayban to Maui jim this past summer. I won't be going back. Raybans are good I just prefer mj. I got the kanaio coast and love em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Got my first pair of good sunglasses last year.

Stepped up to Maui Jim's from RayBan's.

About $100. at Costco.

Always had to pull off sunglasses when driving through shady spots. No longer!

My Wife liked 'em so well that she bought herself a pr. also.

Virgil B.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Does Smith still position their temple tips to scratch the schit out of the lenses when folded? I used to have several pairs, but quit them because of that. Maui Jim and Oakley since then.

I have never experienced that problem with the 4 or 5 different styles I have used over the years but they make 100's of styles of frames so I could see how some could have that problem. I have only used the Fishing Line of their offerings though.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Some on here have mentioned Smith. I have a pair of Smith Tempo Max that i love for fishing. They are a wrap around style with no frame on bottom so I don't get fogged when wearing a hat while fishing in the heat. Unfortunately one of the bow arms broke where it passes the ear. I sent a request for warranty and they said OK and gave me a $200. dollar credit for a new pair. The bad part is they no longer sell the model I had and said they can't repair them even something as simple as a bow. So I have a voucher for a new pair of glasses I don't want. I wouldn't recommend Smith to anyone and make sure when I get a chance I tell my story on social media. What good is a warranty if you can't get what you own fixed or replaced. I notice they have been bought out by some foreign company and suspect the stellar reputation they once had for quality and service is gone.

I had that same issue with Smith. They warranted a pair I had for 12 years, which I though was outstanding, but they did not have that same style available and had to give me credit for something else. Fortunately they had something I liked even better. They seem to change frame styles almost yearly with very few of their glasses staying in the lineup more than 5 years. The only exception is their Guide Fishing Glasses which have been around for many years.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Maui Jim, Oakley, Ray Ban and Costa. Each has their purpose and wear them accordingly. All have been very solid.

CK
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Biden endorsed Aviators.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Biden endorsed Aviators.

Do they increase your sense of smell?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Some on here have mentioned Smith. I have a pair of Smith Tempo Max that i love for fishing. They are a wrap around style with no frame on bottom so I don't get fogged when wearing a hat while fishing in the heat. Unfortunately one of the bow arms broke where it passes the ear. I sent a request for warranty and they said OK and gave me a $200. dollar credit for a new pair. The bad part is they no longer sell the model I had and said they can't repair them even something as simple as a bow. So I have a voucher for a new pair of glasses I don't want. I wouldn't recommend Smith to anyone and make sure when I get a chance I tell my story on social media. What good is a warranty if you can't get what you own fixed or replaced. I notice they have been bought out by some foreign company and suspect the stellar reputation they once had for quality and service is gone.

I had that same issue with Smith. They warranted a pair I had for 12 years, which I though was outstanding, but they did not have that same style available and had to give me credit for something else. Fortunately they had something I liked even better. They seem to change frame styles almost yearly with very few of their glasses staying in the lineup more than 5 years. The only exception is their Guide Fishing Glasses which have been around for many years.
Yes I agree. The style of the tempo max is different from anything they currently sell. They it me like a glove and didn't fog. Easy to wear on my face and even on top of my hat/ visor when I didn't need them. All their current models look about like the guide fishing glasses. I tried on a similar pair of costas at a bass pro that looked like that didn't like the fit,

living the good life every day
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on what I'm doing. For years I wore a pair of Ambermatic Nikon polarized aviator sun glasses because they changed with the light intensity and accentuated the reds and greens. No small thing for driving. Then I bought a car with a heads up display and because of the polarization, the heads up display disappears. I thought they were great for fishing until the dermatologist cut a Basel cell carcinoma out of my eyebrow. You don't put sunscreen on your eyebrows, but the sun gets in there with the aviators. The wife's late former husband was a private pilot and I inherited his Biden look alike green aviator Ray Bans which I still prefer for driving. For fishing I know the blue lenses are all the rage, but everything Costa says they are best for salt water. I was going to go to Daytona where Costa's are made, but they don't have a factory outlet store. Bass Pro in Orlando had the absolute largest selection of Costa sunglasses and wow, did I ever learn a lesson about not just picking something out of a catalog. I knew that I wanted glass polarized and thought I knew the frame, but I didn't. Costa makes 74 different sunglass frames and the Permit XL fit my wider face shape better than anything. Out of the seven different glass lenses that they make I thought I wanted mirrored lenses, the copper silver mirrored or the green mirrored. Nope again. They let me take examples of each outside to look at their pool in front of the store and nothing worked as well as the non-mirrored copper lenses. Ideal for fresh water fishing, but the Biden Ray Bans for driving and looking cool.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Roka Phantom in titanium.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get some of those new 1920 x 1080 high definition ones they advertise on TV.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/02/21.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maui Jim. Wear mine every day all day. Have 2 sets of frames on their 3rd set of lenses. Smiths are really nice too. Had two pair of Costa’s, Not impressed.
For a mid price try natives. Have two pair of Native Kodiaks I keep in the truck if we’re pouring concrete or cutting rebar. Use them as loaners. Not that bad.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Ocean Waves or Smith’s…

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife asked for a pair of polarized Wiley X for Christmas last year. Got the best price at Midway.
She's happy with them.

Walmart shades work for me.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Here is another plus for costa

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wiley X here.

Not saying they are the best, but no matter the brand, get something with the Z87.1 safety lens. I wear mine almost constantly outdoors and working. The safety lens saved my eye when a wire broken wire snapped back and hit me in the center of the lens. Put a one heckuva mark in the lens, but no damage to me.

Last edited by Lonny; 10/02/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wear Wiley-X almost exclusively. Great glasses, but more importantly they protect your eyes. You never know when you will need eye protection, and it's always better to have it ...

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Wife and I are sunglasses nerds. We’ve worn and owned several brands. Lots of good stuff out there. We fish and boat a lot and they are absolutely necessary. In no order Maui Jim, Costa, Salt Life(Nikon lenses), and new company WaterLand, WL are really great glasses and much less expensive than most of the bigs. I recommend them highly.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Polarized prescription Oakley's have worked for me for 20+ years. A pair generally lasts 5+ years with daily use, 2 pairs I've had for 10+ years with intermittent wear. Had one pair that the lens coating started to peel off of, but that was sunscreen induced and didn't start until their 4th or 5th year of wear.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.