Home
Posted By: BigDave39355 No till food plots - 10/06/21
Is it as simple as throwing seeds out ?

Dang ole rain. Looking like it won’t go away.

Last month i bushhogged and put the glypho to it.

Tried to disc Saturday. Couldn’t break 1/2 of my plots. Too muddy. Throwing up rooster tails.

Still have time, though i like to plant late sept / early October.

Normally I’ll plant bob oats, elbow rye and wheat.

Thinking this year may have to go with rye grass. Spread and let it be.
Posted By: slumlord Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
I do a Glyphosphate ‘burn down’ when I do a no-till

Wait about 10 days for everything to wilt and get mushy. Toss out rape and brassica, turnip greens, etc.
small seed only need ground contact to take off. Do it right before a pounding rain so the pushes the seed into the decaying duff.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
While not as wet as MS we chiseled the plots and put down fertilizer last week.

Last weekend he planted wheat with the grain drill and had no problems with it bunching up.
some Elbon rye might take hold

I had success with that last fall.
Cereal rye on no till, no prep, shaded zip plot

Green in 10-14 days

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: SandBilly Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Deer baiting POS. Slum you bastard.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Wheat, ryegrass and rye will grow by getting rained in. We just finished up no till drilling 45 acres of deer plots with oats, turnips, radish and clovers. Not much rain here yet.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^^^^^

I’m gonna break all the ethical and morality rules for hunting and open a can of Jolly Green Giant Golden Corn.

Come and get sum, Bucky !

LOL

🦫
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I would’ve blasted that little buck if venison was worth eating.

#dimeadozen
#ditchmeat
#backupslamonbrakes
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
I haven’t look at the rainfall numbers, this fall has to be above average.

Hopefully it’ll dry some.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll give it a try.
Posted By: pointer Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
I would continue with the oats/rye/wheat. I would not switch to ryegrass. I've had very good luck getting oats and rye to grow broadcast without tillage. If you have a way to cultipack or roll the plots, I think that helps a with getting the seeds to the soil. Likewise, if it's greened up a lot since your spraying I'd probably spray again the day you seed. I've had pretty darn good luck broadcasting seed, cultipacking, and spraying.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by pointer
Likewise, if it's greened up a lot since your spraying I'd probably spray again the day you seed.

Yea, I'd probably skip that part. 😁
Posted By: Cheesy Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Most of the combine operators around here seem to do a good job of no-till broadcasting wheat and corn out the back of their combine. Looks like they all get a pretty good stand...
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
I have had good luck with winter rye. Rain came late this year and I am still going to have a couple of good plots.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
My soil drains pretty well. I put mine in with a light till two weeks ago. I figured I had set a drought in motion, but we have had good rain.

Posted By: navlav8r Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
We planted our fields (35) two weeks ago and have had rain off and on so it’s worked out well for us. Poison about two weeks before followed by discing a few days later. Cultipacker after the seed.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic upload

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free image sharing

We put in 31 plots two and a half weeks ago, got lucky and it was raining on them within an hour of getting done. They popped fast.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
My plots aren't growing very well. But I have a good idea why.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I haven’t look at the rainfall numbers, this fall has to be above average.

Hopefully it’ll dry some.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll give it a try.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I figured I had set a drought in motion, but we have had good rain.

Over in the 'Bama, its being reported that we are right at 20" above average in Mobile County this year. In an area where 60-70" of rain a year is normal, an extra 20" is significant. I know MS and south LA are in similar situations.

We're planting our plots this weekend.
Posted By: pointer Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by pointer
Likewise, if it's greened up a lot since your spraying I'd probably spray again the day you seed.

Yea, I'd probably skip that part. 😁
I haven't been. Glyphosate won't effect the seeds and kills the competition. I've seeded & sprayed on the same day many times and have yet to not have anything grow.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Discing for that stuff is a waste of time if you have enough rain coming. It'll grow on bare ground if you have enough rain coming.

Kill whatever is standing, let it die and wait for a sure enough rain. Broadcast your stuff and mow or roll what you killed down over it. It works with seed as large as tillage radish.

In your case you're most of the way there. I repeated the words enough and rain on purpose. That's the key. Having done this a couple times now I won't disc again.

Not even a 24hourdumpsterfire troll is foolish enough to put ryegrass in a bait plot.
Hence the difference between cereal rye and ryegrass
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Is it as simple as throwing seeds out ?

Dang ole rain. Looking like it won’t go away.

Last month i bushhogged and put the glypho to it.

Tried to disc Saturday. Couldn’t break 1/2 of my plots. Too muddy. Throwing up rooster tails.

Still have time, though i like to plant late sept / early October.

Normally I’ll plant bob oats, elbow rye and wheat.

Thinking this year may have to go with rye grass. Spread and let it be.

BigDave, rye grass can be killed by freezing temps, where rye can stand more cold weather. I'm going by my farming days and that was 35 yrs ago.

I've been using your recipe of bob oats, winter wheat, and rye for the last few years and it has done really good.
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
I planted some Cowpeas but also I put some no till. Most of the no till is Rye Grass, 80% ish. Deer could care less about Rye grass, but Turkeys love it.

I forget the other stuff in the no til I put out, but it got rained on and should grow. I can see something coming up on my cell cams.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
I do a Glyphosphate ‘burn down’ when I do a no-till

Wait about 10 days for everything to wilt and get mushy. Toss out rape and brassica, turnip greens, etc.
small seed only need ground contact to take off. Do it right before a pounding rain so the pushes the seed into the decaying duff.

This is what I do. Buckwheat in May for a nurse crop. and then 7 weeks later, broadcast 1oolbs/ac cowpeas and lay it over with a drag, and spray it with gly. In Oct broadcast wheat to 2oolbs/ac and a few greens. You will not use any fert/lime after you get this started and your soil will be primo. Been doing this a number of years with stellar results.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
Rye grass is a PITA to get rid of. Deer do not like it.

You can also use milo/sorgum as a nurse/smother crop. What ever you have on hand.

BIG RAIN is the key... I have quit using tractors/disc because it is cheaper to no till and I can control my weeds easier. Added benefit is that you can actually make sandy worn out soil, prosperous again after a few years of no till.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: No till food plots - 10/06/21
What a dip schidt who likes to hear himself talk
Deer are not much on rye grass after it's long and stemmy, but that young tender stuff less than 6 inches, they will kill it. In my part of the country their is not much deer like better than young tender rye and white clover. YMMV
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: No till food plots - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by Oldman03

BigDave, rye grass can be killed by freezing temps, where rye can stand more cold weather. I'm going by my farming days and that was 35 yrs ago.

I've been using your recipe of bob oats, winter wheat, and rye for the last few years and it has done really good.

The bob oats / elbow rye / wheat is about the cheapest $/pound seed for food plots I’ve found.

And it works well.

haven’t found a good mix that isn’t high % rye grass.

Did make a new plot earlier this fall, maybe 1/4 acre. Planted brassicas and clover. It’s doing so so.

Plant the bob oats, not the more expensive buck forage oats.

I’ve even used feed wheat when co-op was out of seed wheat.
Posted By: slumlord Re: No till food plots - 10/07/21
I’ve planted cheap feed oats, they’ll tear em up after they get ankle high, especially if your acorns are on vacation that fall.
I don’t have much luck with the no-till method. I’ve tried it a couple of times, but didn’t get good results. Establishing new vs existing plots is a different process for me. On new, I chemical burn, till, plant larger seeds, drag (or harrow), then broadcast the tiny seeds. I plant wheat, oats, soybeans, chicory, clover and some rape. I then frost seed clover in February/early March in those plots because they get hammered over the winter. By the following fall, they become really nice clover plots. I maintain them through the summer by eradicating grasses with Clethodim.

I’m going to try the no-till method on a few again next year. I think the areas I’ve tried had too much vegetation to begin with. We’ll see what happens.
Posted By: pointer Re: No till food plots - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I don’t have much luck with the no-till method. I’ve tried it a couple of times, but didn’t get good results. Establishing new vs existing plots is a different process for me. On new, I chemical burn, till, plant larger seeds, drag (or harrow), then broadcast the tiny seeds. I plant wheat, oats, soybeans, chicory, clover and some rape. I then frost seed clover in February/early March in those plots because they get hammered over the winter. By the following fall, they become really nice clover plots. I maintain them through the summer by eradicating grasses with Clethodim.

I’m going to try the no-till method on a few again next year. I think the areas I’ve tried had too much vegetation to begin with. We’ll see what happens.
I've had the best luck with grains in my no-till plots. Cereal rye and oats especially. Tried some turnips this year. They are growing, but not as much as I'd like. I think all of the volunteer rye/oats from last year is out competing them.

This year I went cheap with the oats for my main plot; feed oats at Rural King for $15/50#. They are growing quite well! Wish I had a better stand of soybeans for them to be growing in, but the first batch rotted and the second seeding didn't get planted until middle of July. Still feeding deer, but doubt I'll get much grain production for late season.
Posted By: killerv Re: No till food plots - 10/07/21
Only time we use annual rye is to fill in spots later in the season. We most always do 2:1 wheat/oats. I didn't till my big food plot this year. I did till two smaller ones. I'm curious how it pans out.
© 24hourcampfire