Home
Bullion or coins?

MM
Compare gold to the stock market over any 10 year period the past 100 years. There’s your answer.
If i ever won the powerball i would buy gold and silver coins.
A couple million dollars. One time insurance policy that you would
have wealth no matter what.

But it's not a money making investment.

And I haven't bought a ticket in months.
Wearable gold:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Wearable gold:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, a little tough to resell in hard times, though.

Met the guy's grandson a few years ago that started Patek.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Yeah, a little tough to resell in hard times, though.

Met the guy's grandson a few years ago that started Patek.

MM

The Stern's are good folks, they're dedicated to their brand and their diligence to their craft has made them #1 in the watch world.
I'm buying but I consider it more like insurance than an investment. I should have stayed in the markets too but I lost faith in stocks when the new regime stole power. I'm shooting for 15% assets in metals as a hedge against inflation and dollar issues.

Bb
I like having gold, I don’t worry about it from an investment standpoint. If you intend to sell your gold… I strongly suggest you do not buy the “cheapest” bullion, coins, bars out there. Buy coins that sell, mainstays like AGE’s, Buffs, Maple leafs and what not.

BTW not a fan of the AGE type 2 design.
S.
I bought into a gold trust. I am not sure I like doing that but only have 2K into it. I decided to buy a gold miners ETF (GDX). I also bought Kirkland, Kinross and Newmont gold miners companies. I was up 13% in just a few months, but now I am down on my gold investments by about 6%. I bought in around May. I am not too concerned cause it is only 1% of my portoflio.
No.
Originally Posted by dale06
Compare gold to the stock market over any 10 year period the past 100 years. There’s your answer.

Hedge.
There’s your answer.....
Crypto.
Not going to do crypto.

If I buy gold it will simply be to hold & as a hedge, no attempt to make money on the value increase, per se'.

MM
I had a small wad sitting in good the last two years.... I just unloaded half of it because it is just not moving one way or another....

I'm moving it into oil....
I’d buy physical gold, not an etf. Defeats the purpose I’d be buying it for.
Long term, if you’re buying it in small amounts (less than 10k) and for an investment only, there’s a lot better options. If you’re buying it for currency when the economy collapses, I’d be buying $10,000 worth of tradeable necessities that store well long term.

Shopping around the physical goes for about 4% more than the spot price. Do gold buyers buy it over the spot price? I've never tried to sell physical but a 4% bid/ask spread is pretty expensive.
Do you trust the market today? Gold is not an investment to earn money as much as it is a loss prevention measure.

g
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Shopping around the physical goes for about 4% more than the spot price. Do gold buyers buy it over the spot price? I've never tried to sell physical but a 4% bid/ask spread is pretty expensive.

I bought gold coins around 2009 and sold some last month to the same company from whom I bought the coins.

They paid spot on the day it was received and the charge was 1% of sale.
I don't trust equities anymore, neither the dollar, crypto, and I'm not interested in speculation. In the past, I invested primarily in small cap growth stocks. My rationale was to put capital toward something productive. I've given up. I think there is real productivity out there, no doubt, but the securities market that trades in dollar-denominated assets is totally unhinged from any kind of realistic valuations and massively inflated by unrestrained alchemy.

Metals are closer to a commodity today than they have been in the past. They're a poor medium of exchange in today's market because of absurd premiums. Metal-backed securities of various kinds are less costly to trade, but they often sap the value out over the long term. As a hedge, the long-term is the only way they are functional. I expect them to crash with the market. People will sell their metals to cover their other losses that are dollar-denominated.

The biggest attraction to me is that metals are amoral in a market where just about everything else is turning immoral and evil. No doubt there is far more money to be made "investing" (speculating, gambling, and betting) in market darlings. You know the tickers. I'd rather vomit.

If you've got money in IRA(s), it's either cash, gold, bonds, equities, or something similar. Cash represents the Federal Reserve. Bonds represent the Treasury, another government, or corporation. Equities represent big businesses. You can't find a cabal with more corruption, wickedness, and immorality in any point of history than that, with the exception of gold. Gold is just gold.

I don't think about the performance of gold or silver in dollar terms. There will always be small fluctuations in supply and demand, but big dollar gains or losses reflect more the changing value of the dollar than that of the metals. An ounce of gold may very well be $50,000 some day, but I won't be rich because of that. It will just mean the dollar is worthless.
Originally Posted by Toddly
Crypto.

Yepx2.

Plus

Commodities with a decent dividend

Bought RIO Look at REITs and midstream too
You gonna make gold bullets?
Buy what you like. I prefer coins from government mints. If you have local coin stores around stop in and check them out. I have found a good one that beat the internet price on some French ,and Swiss franks,, they had. Gold is Gold. I don't see paying the high premiums on the Eagles. If you don't hold it you don't Own it.
Silver, and coins recognizable by most.

So much counterfeiting & skepticism(warranted) these days.
Junk silver is my favorite. It is 1964 and earlier U.S. coins that are 90% silver but have no collector value. $1 dollar in face value has barely over .7 of an ounce so it's easy to figure the metal value. Everyone recognizes them and no one is afraid they are fake. Also they are small enough in value that you can actually use them for transactions if money disappears. The only serious issue that is holding precious metals way under value is the knowledge that the governments of the world can outlaw the possession of metals exactly as the U.S. did with gold in 1933.It was made a crime and they got away with what should have been clearly unconstitutional.
Local coin store, or online bullion store like SD bullion, JM etc. Definitely watch out for fakes. Avoid ebay craigslist, junk/antique stores.
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I don't trust equities anymore, neither the dollar, crypto, and I'm not interested in speculation.

but the securities market that trades in dollar-denominated assets is totally unhinged from any kind of realistic valuations and massively inflated by unrestrained alchemy.

An ounce of gold may very well be $50,000 some day, but I won't be rich because of that. It will just mean the dollar is worthless.

Excellent post & that's all exactly where I am; further, at this point I am much more interested in protecting what I have.

MM
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I bought gold coins around 2009 and sold some last month to the same company from whom I bought the coins.

They paid spot on the day it was received and the charge was 1% of sale.

But how much over spot did you pay for your coins in 2009?

For example, the current price is $1758 but the cheapest gold here is $1838.
Got some of both.

Don't mean much but got rid of some gold back before it fell around 1500+-.

Silver seems to me a joke because they talk it up as being almost used up because of solar panels and computers and such.

And yet it remains below 30 dollars.
The only folks making money off of it now is the folks that are selling it to folks that think they need it because of the end of the world. wink
What's up with the stock market? Any ideas on what to do? If it weren't for oil (GUSH), platinum (PPLT), and Russia (RUSL)I would be under water for the day. I'm about 19% in precious metal, 4.5% in Russia, and 3.5% in oil. As it is I'm only plus .05% for the day.
Originally Posted by dale06

Anyone can cherry pick.....

From 1929 until January 1933, the shares of Homestake Mining, the largest gold producer in the U.S., rose 474%. Dome Mines, Canada’s largest producer, soared 558% – this while the Dow lost 73% of its value…[and if] you…[had] bought both stocks 5 years earlier ( at half their 1929 price) five years earlier…you would…[have had] gains of around 1,000%.

From 1925 to 1940, Homestake shares rose 10-fold, while the Dow basically went nowhere…[In fact,] during the worst part of the crash, where the Dow lost 89% of its value, this gold stock more than doubled in price.

https://munknee.com/history-says-gold-silver-will-go-much-higher-after-this-stock-market-crash/
Bought some FSAGX (Fidelity 'Select Gold Portfolio' Mutual Fund) a few months ago @ ~$27/share, it's currently ~$25/share and doesn't appear to be doing much. I did pretty good on it last year, but definitely gave some of my gains back this fall. I really thought that with the Democrats devaluing the dollar like they are that gold would be a good hedge. Nope.
Patients grasshopper.... it's better to be a little early, than a day late.
Just bought a Krugerrand last week. This week I went & bought 1/2 oz gold bar.
No. Never. Silver, neither.
If you trust the federal reserve/government to do the right thing, than stay in the dollar. It's only a matter of time before people lose confidence in this ponzi scheme.
Originally Posted by centershot
Bought some FSAGX (Fidelity 'Select Gold Portfolio' Mutual Fund) a few months ago @ ~$27/share, it's currently ~$25/share and doesn't appear to be doing much. I did pretty good on it last year, but definitely gave some of my gains back this fall. I really thought that with the Democrats devaluing the dollar like they are that gold would be a good hedge. Nope.
Yet. We are in uncharted territory as far as the USA is concerned. Argentina has been there, it was once wealthy. The banks have been working against us for over a century now. They have moved us from the free range pasture to the kill floor. All accomplished with bait. The only question now is what to do with the few that refused the bait. Do they kill us or figure we are so few that they will just break us with confiscation? And probably lock you up for possessing precious metal and for sure if you try to trade with it. Good money cannot be allowed to compete with bad.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Invest in something real? that you can hold in your hand? That has had intrinsic value for millennia? Crazy talk. Crypto is where it’s at.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

Invest in something real? that you can hold in your hand? That has had intrinsic value for millennia? Crazy talk. Crypto is where it’s at.

LOL. Yep. And fairy dust.
The stock market is way over valued, but the ride's been long, & actually, IMHO, w/o justification.

But when a correction or a real crash comes, hang onto yer azz, 'cause the drop is going to be legendary.

MM
The stock market is way over valued, but the ride's been long, & actually, IMHO, w/o justification.
But when a correction or a real crash comes, hang onto yer azz, 'cause the drop is going to be legendary.
MM
Correct. All bubbles burst, and laws governing economics, arithmetic, and gravity cannot be repealed.

MM

Yep. And it’s coming soon with Hiden Biden in the WH and his Handlers destroying America daily.
I have 101 grams of 24K. I’m looking at retiring, and the day I retire I’m going to sell and blow it on something. Probably a nice over and under. It was around 6000, I think it was down to 5300 or so. Anyway it will be good to have cash instead of a paper weight.
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have 101 grams of 24K. I’m looking at retiring, and the day I retire I’m going to sell and blow it on something. Probably a nice over and under. It was around 6000, I think it was down to 5300 or so. Anyway it will be good to have cash instead of a paper weight.
About $5709 today

Investment = a set of actions with the intent of earning profit.

Gold isn't much of an investment - it's not going above $2k per oz.
Bad investment 1932 one ounce was worth a $20 bill. 89 years later gold is $1750 ,and that same 20 bill is still $20.
Originally Posted by Twopatch
Bad investment 1932 one ounce was worth a $20 bill. 89 years later gold is $1750 ,and that same 20 bill is still $20.

A 1932 $20 has a buying power of $356.81 today,
I'm going to move some excess cash flow into bullion next tax year. See how inflation shakes out by the end of the year. But inflation is going to be vicious, more than brokerage.
Originally Posted by WTM45
That 1932 $20 gold coin is now worth more than $1500.
Originally Posted by Hastings

Since were talking about investing here, pretend that same $20 was invested in the boring AF S&P 500. Courtesy of a very good last decade it'd be worth a bit over 80k. Gold still seem like a good investment?
Uh, try again. Buy a US Double Eagle $20.00 Gold Piece at eBay
Originally Posted by trplem

Since were talking about investing here, pretend that same $20 was invested in the boring AF S&P 500. Courtesy of a very good last decade it'd be worth a bit over 80k. Gold still seem like a good investment?
I cannot say whether your stated figure of 80K is correct but the jump in the price of gold from $20.67 to $1757 is indicative of the devaluation of the dollar. If gold ownership was protected in the constitution I dare say gold would be priced much higher than it is now.
Right, but that is also including the collector value. The coin has slightly less than 1 ounce of gold.
Right, but that is also including the collector value. The coin has slightly less than 1 ounce of gold.

There's some of that, but there's also the difference between the theoretical price of gold (spot) and the actual price of gold (what you need to spend in Federal Reserve Notes to actually buy it).
I have shares of IAU as a hedge, I no longer hold any physical gold or silver.
Originally Posted by trplem

I cannot say whether your stated figure of 80K is correct but the jump in the price of gold from $20.67 to $1757 is indicative of the devaluation of the dollar. If gold ownership was protected in the constitution I dare say gold would be priced much higher than it is now.

I'll show my work. Google-fu "S&P 500 ave yearly returns for 90 years". Plug that number into a compound interest calculator. That's how I came up with 80k or so.
In 1934 FDR set the price of Gold at $35/ounce and mandated that all Gold must be surrendered to the feds.... that is not a period we should include in the topic of return on investment with Gold.

Since 1971 when Nixon deregulated Gold, we could consider.

[Linked Image from goldprice.org]

Gold $35 in 1971
Gold $1642 in 2021
----------------------------
50 years.
Price Ratio $1642/ $35 = 46.9

50th root of 46.9 = 1.08 -> 8% compounded annually.

Meanwhile investing in big tech has made:
Clinton 20%
Bush 20%
Obama 20%
Trump 40%
Biden 24%
© 24hourcampfire