Home
Posted By: JPro Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
The local animal control office had a post on FB saying they were over-capacity, asking folks to please stop bringing in more animals, as it meant the older dogs were having to be put down.

They had pictures of course, and they hooked me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Went by the next day and picked up Charlie girl. Like so many at the dog pound, she's got some Staff/Pit blood in her, so be praying she doesn't eat us all in our sleep. grin

Taking her to the vet today to get a checkup and all the meds. Bet she goes about 37lbs.

She's young, but untrained. Been a while since I've had to work with one that's not a puppy and creating good habits are likely going to be tougher. Guessing she had a family at some point, as she loves all people and won't sleep if she thinks she's alone. Had to put a kennel next to the bed, and then she happily sleeps the whole night. It's about like bringing home another kid. wink

I suppose I must have needed another exercise in patience.....
Good looking dog.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
God bless you for adopting her.
Just don't reach for the milk bone box and you'll arrive home intact.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Can I have your guns?
Every since the first puppy wormed it's way into your heart--------------------Your a dog lover for life.

Plus the more I'm around my dog the less I like people.

Bob
Originally Posted by Tuco
God bless you for adopting her.

Originally Posted by RiverRider
Just don't reach for the milk bone box and you'll arrive home intact.

Roger that to both the above comments.
Posted By: Teal Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Glad you adopted.

My fur friends are adopted/rescues as well. When they pass, I might be done for a while but if I'm not - adopt/rescue and look for older dogs/cats that others don't want. Best ones to get.
I have a female Pit Bull rescue that looks a bit like her. I picked her up, wounded, on the side of the road. She has been a great dog and everyone that knows her loves her. Even some of the anti Pit Bull folks in the family. She has a way of winning folks over. Good luck and have fun with your new pup! Keep us posted on her progress.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Can I have your guns?

laugh grin
Posted By: JPro Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Can I have your guns?

Will put you first in line...
grin

Our other two dogs were give-aways as well. One was from a shelter as a little pup and one came from my dad's un-spayed female yard dog getting knocked up. This new girl is a bit high-energy for them, but they're coming around. That'll be part of the challenge in integrating a new member to the clan.
My two came a bit that way. One from the Puppies for Parole locally and one a rehome from the Grandson. Both are deep into my heart. Ya done good JPro. Be well, RZ.
Posted By: deflave Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
One born every minute.

LOL
Haha. Good move, JPro.
JPro you are a good man !!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Bob

That does seem to be a thing.......
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Living on the EDGE! Good Times.

You might be surprised at how much she appreciates what you've done for her, She'll show you, that's what pits do.
Originally Posted by deflave
One born every minute.

LOL

I said the same thing. Multiple times.... lol
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Nice dog, enjoy her!
Every since the first puppy wormed it's way into your heart--------------------Your a dog lover for life.

Bob

+1
Posted By: las Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
She already has got your heart.

Liver is next if you listen to the pit haters here.

Those 4 pics duped the looks Honey HalfLab gave me the day she Borged me and made me take her home with me. I told the Rescue lady she wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Rescue lady just smiled and pointed down at the dog. It was a conspiracy!
JPro, why did you let your dog bring home that ugly dood? Sheesh!
Posted By: las Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
JPro, why did you let your dog bring home that ugly dood? Sheesh!

And apparently his driving is suspect..... smile

I think you will find she is as easy to train as a pup - maybe easier. Patience, grasshopper. I thought Honey, at 18 months, was a bit on the slow side....turned out it was just ignorance on both our parts. She is one of, if not the smartest top 3 dogs I've had.

Well, don't make her mad/anxious and leave her in the car alone. The seatbelts may be at risk at first.....but turnaround time to replace the webbing is only a week or less, including flat-rate transit both ways. smile
Driving probably was suspect, as she rode halfway home in my lap. I can see explaining a collision to an officer and telling him how I was trying to take a selfie with my dog. He'd be impressed, for sure.
Glad you got her, good for you.................she looks very calm, most likely be just fine.

MM
One of my English settlers is in my lap as I write this. Good luck with your new friend. Hasbeen
Wishing you all the best with your pup.
Posted By: JohnP Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Ya did good JPro. Keep us posted on her training.

Posted By: Huntz Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Where are the only good pits are dead ones guys?Nice looking dog by the way!!!
Make sure your Homeowners Insurance is payed up!!!!
Posted By: Hastings Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Good luck. I brought home a 6 week old foundling female Pit from the farm. She was a wonderful loving dog as a pup. Became a beautiful muscled up brindle adult. Then one day I shot a squirrel she had treed in the back yard. I had to fight her off. She had an almost crazed look. Then my daughter had a baby girl and I noticed an intense interest in the baby and a bit of that squirrel killer look. It was not a friendly interest. I was so glad when she got stolen, she was very friendly and would have gladly loaded up with anyone. Just watch out around kids. Sometimes a natural catch dog will view them as varmints.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
That's a good looking dog Jpro......its her lucky day.
Posted By: deflave Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
Do yourself and everyone else a favor and throw it back into the “kill today” bin.

LOL
I bet it’s a Trump supporter.

Show her a Biden supporter and see what happens.
Posted By: Rugies Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
She could almost be twins with mine, your gonna love her.
Posted By: g5m Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/08/21
It's good to save a dog.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Bob

+1

+ 5493
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21

Bob

+++++💯
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Living on the EDGE! Good Times.

You might be surprised at how much she appreciates what you've done for her, She'll show you, that's what pits do.

Mine is a textbook case of the above ^^^^^. I hope yours is too.
Posted By: DMc Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
How old do you think the dog is?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
Thumbs up from the Outback of NorCal.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
Nice dog you took home. I'd be very surprised if she's mean. In being around dogs all my life it's the eyes that tell the most. Your pup doesn't have that wild I'm gonna kill something look.
Nice looking dog.

Most pits don’t flip, a few do.

Watch her around other dogs as she gets older.
Hard to turn away when they look at you like that !

You’re a good man
Posted By: JPro Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
Vet says she’s maybe a little over a year old. 40lbs. Licked everybody to death in the waiting room and exam room. Will certainly keep a close eye while integrating with the big dogs. It helps that they’re twice her size. They’ve got to establish the pecking order.
Posted By: LFC Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
Can I have your guns?

He might need them...
But will he be ready when the unprovoked attack happens
Posted By: LFC Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
Originally Posted by JPro
Vet says she’s maybe a little over a year old. 40lbs. Licked everybody to death in the waiting room and exam room. Will certainly keep a close eye while integrating with the big dogs. It helps that they’re twice her size. They’ve got to establish the pecking order.

I guess you never witnessed a pitt bull fight...size means nothing.
Posted By: viking Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
“Licked everyone…”. Ah that’s taste testing and a tenderizing method. 😂

No, seriously, good for you. Like many here, the older I get the more I like dogs an people less.
Posted By: poboy Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21
We had a really good Blue Staffordshire bitch......exception
to the rule, I guess.
Good for you. That's a beautiful dog, and should be a great member of your family (Pits have great personalities). Just keep in mind that one little slip in her judgement can result in more harm than could be the case if a Golden Retriever were to have the same slip in judgement. That's about the only special instruction you need for that breed.
she looks hooked on you already!
take good care.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/09/21

I'm sure you had the air bag turned off on her side, but just in case, be beware that if an air bag is deployed on a dog in the front seat, it can very well kill a dog or very seriously injure it. I see folks riding with a dog on their lap and I want to yell at them. Dumb folks.

Just sayin'. smile

Nice looking dog. Good on you. Good for her.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thumbs up from the Outback of NorCal.

Hopefully, Gaybitch Newsom isn't throwing a wine party in your hood this weekend.
Posted By: JPro Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/18/21
Little update on the land shark for any who might be interested. We're betting Charlie's a bit younger than originally thought, as there's still a lot of puppy in there. Housetraining is still going on, but we have a fenced backyard here, so she can go in and out as needed. Sleeps 8hrs no problem in a crate in the bedroom, but still wants to pee in the house at times if she's played hard or just woke up.

She figured out right quick that the old white bulldog mix is boss, and she's not challenging that. Made best friends with our 3yr old brindle cur and he's liable to get back in fighting shape with all the wrasslin' every day. We're currently living in our 1200SF hunting camp as we prepare to build a house here, so it gets a bit tight when the pups get after it.

The best part is that she's a people-lover. Guess it's partly due to the alone-time at the pound, but she's wanting to be with somebody at every waking moment. We're going with it for a while before we start suggesting she learn a bit of independence. A person might want to get a shower or go to the bathroom by themselves every now and again.

Phase 2 is going to be off-leash command training and working on not chasing the cats. Hopefully, we'll get there. It took a while with the big dogs, but they made it. She likely can too..

Posted By: KFWA Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/18/21
if I had a big spread I'd have several dogs. The old I get the more I just like being around them.

I have 3 now.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/18/21
not a pit man but nice looking dog
Posted By: skeen Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by KFWA
if I had a big spread I'd have several dogs. The old I get the more I just like being around them.

I have 3 now.

Man, I'm with ya.'
Posted By: skeen Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/18/21
Little update on the land shark for any who might be interested. We're betting Charlie's a bit younger than originally thought, as there's still a lot of puppy in there. Housetraining is still going on, but we have a fenced backyard here, so she can go in and out as needed. Sleeps 8hrs no problem in a crate in the bedroom, but still wants to pee in the house at times if she's played hard or just woke up.

She figured out right quick that the old white bulldog mix is boss, and she's not challenging that. Made best friends with our 3yr old brindle cur and he's liable to get back in fighting shape with all the wrasslin' every day. We're currently living in our 1200SF hunting camp as we prepare to build a house here, so it gets a bit tight when the pups get after it.

The best part is that she's a people-lover. Guess it's partly due to the alone-time at the pound, but she's wanting to be with somebody at every waking moment. We're going with it for a while before we start suggesting she learn a bit of independence. A person might want to get a shower or go to the bathroom by themselves every now and again.

Phase 2 is going to be off-leash command training and working on not chasing the cats. Hopefully, we'll get there. It took a while with the big dogs, but they made it. She likely can too..

Great pics!
Originally Posted by gemby58
not a pit man but nice looking dog

We're wondering if there's likely some other terrier blood in there for her to be so small? She's 40lbs. Seems like most pits I see around are a good bit bigger.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Brought home a land shark - 10/18/21

Looks like that dog hit the jackpot with you folks. smile I'd rather have a dog that is a bit of a clinger than off on it's own all the time.

I in the past I've used the e-collar to reinforce training when they get a little rebellious. Works well and not needed for long.
We do have a good e-collar that we'll likely integrate when working with running off or chasing cats. Inside, we use a water gun to enforce verbal discipline. Little girl just hates the thing, much like a cat does. Go figure....
You say she's a people lover. That's extremely typical for a pure Pitbull.
Originally Posted by KFWA

I have 3 now.

When my dad's Dog had pups a couple years back, we got one and another guy got one, and then Dad decided he couldn't let the other ones go. So he kept 3 for himself. It's always a dog-pile at his place now, but he loves it.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know.

I've had German Shepherds, a Doberman, a couple of Pitbull mixes, and two pure Pitbulls. Of all of them, there's no contest. The ones that were indiscriminately people -friendly were the pure Pitbulls. Others who own them say the same. The ghetto Pitbulls on chains that act like they want to kill anyone the meet are intentionally conditioned to be that way to protect the stashes of their owners.
© 24hourcampfire