Home
I've lost two hunting partners this year and now it seems another is about to pass from Covid induced Pneumonia. First Sean got run over and killed by a hit and run driver and then Ken took his own life and now Jack, Sean's dad has pneumonia and is in a coma and not expected to make it. It's gonna be lonely in the woods this year, may just call it quits and not even go hunting.

Life sucks..........
Sounds to me like you need some time in the woods.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Yep.

Mich, your friends wouldn't want you to quit. I feel sure they would rather you carry on and remember the good time yall had. If ya quit, sure you can remember the good times, but it just wont be the same.

Find ya a kid and teach him to hunt. The old timers took the time to teach you and now it's time to pass it on....
Lost my Dad and an Uncle during summer of 2020. One to covid pneumonia complications and other to brain cancer. Both hunting partners since I started hunting big game in 1979. They were also the last of my circle of hunting buddies.

Youngest Daughter decided she wanted to start hunting in Fall of 2020 just having graduated previous spring from college and no longer did a Fall sport.

We went on our first deer hunt this year together. Now we have family members coming out of the wood work wanting to get involved and get their younger kids out in the field after she posted up the pictures.

Almost sold all mine and Dad's guns last year I was so depressed.

Doors closed, doors opened.
You're on the right side of the grass. Keep your head up
Sorry for your losses.

Some good advice already posted.

Good luck.
Yup, that sucks.
Keep your head up and spend some time in the woods.
Life does really suck sometimes. Lost a childhood friend and hunting pal a few years ago. But his objective was to hunt as long as he was able and he did until he had a massive heart attack while at home, at age 69. I think about him often when I'm in the woods and I know he'd want me to keep hunting. About 10 years ago I met a guy in his late 80's who said he hunted up until he was the last survivor of all his hunting pals. Said if he was physically able he'd still be out there. It's best to keep at it as long as possible and it's good therapy.
nahma is a beautiful place to hunt, man. Enjoy being out there.
Turn is tragedy around and take a kid hunting. I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your friends. Prayers for you from us in N.C.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Get after it. The deceased would want that.
You gotta grieve. It’s normal and nothing to be afraid of. You’ve lost a lot this year. Losing friends and family hurts, but life does not suck. If you try, it will get better. Don’t give up.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
You gotta grieve. It’s normal and nothing to be afraid of. You’ve lost a lot this year. Losing friends and family hurts, but life does not suck. If you try, it will get better. Don’t give up.

Yep. Hurts like hell. Lost both my parents within a year of each other. And a very good friend.

Got to keep your head up and keep going no matter how much it hurts.
I just make new friends.
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
I've lost two hunting partners this year and now it seems another is about to pass from Covid induced Pneumonia. First Sean got run over and killed by a hit and run driver and then Ken took his own life and now Jack, Sean's dad has pneumonia and is in a coma and not expected to make it. It's gonna be lonely in the woods this year, may just call it quits and not even go hunting.

Life sucks..........

WTF, are you a democrat? Make new friends, take some younger guys out, show them, teach them. Would your buddies want you to quit.
Guess i'll be in the woods this weekend, opener for Georgia deer . My son and i will be there with one other friend who is 80 yrs old. We'll drink a toast to missing friends and carry on . You guys are right, they would not want me to quit hunting , but it is still hard to lose 3 friends in 3 months.
Sorry for you losses. Keep your chin up.
My three brothers and our best friend were my hunting buddies for 40 years. My brothers have passed on and my buddy sits in his recliner all day and sometimes doesn't know who I am when I go to visit. So I feel your pain. And I will agree that being out in the November woods...the same woods we all hunted together...is tough when the memories roll in. I miss the fellowship, to use the term loosely. I've found it helpful to find new places to hunt. It's been harder to find new people to hunt with, but I'm working on it. Keep your chin up, big guy. Things will get better.
Sorry for your losses but your friends would not want you to quit. Hold your head up and move on.
I lost my son last year to suicide as many of you know. I took him and my daughter on the juvenile deer hunt every year. It was our ritual to get them out of school early on Fridays and get up to the farm to prepare for Saturday morning's hunt. I missed it last year and my daughter lost interest after losing her brother. It has allowed me to try new hunting rituals. I got my cousin involved in deer hunting and he's hooked now. He's helped me more than I know. Take time to grieve, recognize the great times and realize what your buddies would want you to do. I came to the conclusion that if I gave up the things I loved to do, I wouldn't know myself anymore. That's not the place to be.
In California, disabled hunters can hunt off of an ATV.

Life sucks..........

Sorry to hear this. Take a kid hunting. MAGA
Rommey and Murkabou are voting for Jumanji.. It's has already ..
Guess i'll be in the woods this weekend, opener for Georgia deer . My son and i will be there with one other friend who is 80 yrs old. We'll drink a toast to missing friends and carry on . You guys are right, they would not want me to quit hunting , but it is still hard to lose 3 friends in 3 months.

Good to hear. Sorry you lost your pals, My condolences.

Come on down to the Get together, a bunch of mifits will cheer your ass up!
Nahma mich: Tough times when "things" add up on you like they have!
Stay strong - and indeed some time to yourself may just help rejuvenate?
Sorry for your losses.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
My brother will be dead in a few weeks. It will pretty much be me, dad, and one nephew hunting our place then. And dad…well, he is in great shape…84 going on 70, but this going to be tough on him.

Cancer sucks.
We've probably all had hunting partners come and go, especially if you or he moves to another state. You have strong memories that reflect a certain time in your life, usually really good memories. But you have to think back- those memories were made before you had them. You were making them right then and didn't always have them, and you can make memories again. Different memories but still great memories are in your future if you just move forward. The best ones for me are helping other people learn to hunt. Listening to new stories told by excited newbies getting their first bear or deer. You can change lives by giving of your knowledge and equipment.

Get out there and do it. You have a lot to offer.
Originally Posted by ConradCA
In California, disabled hunters can hunt off of an ATV.

Good news for Disabled Vets.
I’m really sorry for the loss you’ve suffered and that which you’re currently suffering through but giving up hunting and the outdoors, things that you and your friends loved to do together, does disservice to their memory. Do you honestly think that they’d encourage you to quit out of self pity? Do NOT give up that which brings you happiness and cleanses your soul like time spent outdoors…God’s creation. Don’t quit living.

Seeing how precious and uncertain life is should encourage you to live each day to the fullest and bring honor to your friend’s memory by continuing to enjoy God’s creation.

I’m sorry for your loss but you gotta get back on the horse. You aren’t hurting anyone but yourself with your boycott.
Sorry to hear about the losses, however you should hunt twice as much and take some young folks in their honor!

They can be sad when it's your time to go..
© 24hourcampfire