Home
Posted By: RickinTN Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Hello all,
A couple of years ago I bought a couple of LED "D" cell Mag-Lights for my truck. The last time I used them was last winter as I recall. Since then, and a few surgeries later. I needed on the other day. I pulled it out, and no surprise it didn't work. I too the cap off and the batteries in both lights are corroded. I soaked both with Kroil around the batteries in heavy amounts for over 10 days hoping to free them up. I drilled a hole in the rear battery of one and threaded a large screw hook into the battery. All the pulling I can muster and it's not budging.
Any ideas on other ways to get the batteries out?
Your help and suggestions most appreciated!
Rick
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
That is the standard operating procedure of Mag-Lights.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21

Tannerite....don't stand too close.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
When in doubt grab a hammer. Or in this case a rubber mallet? Have you tried sticking it in a vice and going around the cylinder with a mallet or dead blow hammer soak some more in Kroil repeat?
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
First off - NO alkaline batteries in flashlights, they're called 'Alkaleaks'.

Second - get a modern LED flashlight that uses a Lithium-Ion battery (21700 or 18650). A Lithium-Ion battery can be recharged about 500 times.

Put that Maglite on a shelf and be done with it.

Start your search here, they sell a good variety of LED flashlights. Start search on "Flashlights" from the drop-down menu, then narrow by battery:

https://www.killzoneflashlights.com/

Other brands to start your journey in LED's:

Sofirn
Convoy
Lumintop
Nitecore
Fenix
Acebeam
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
It's trash. Heed gonehuntin's advice.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Don't buy another mag lite.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
I never understood how Mag-Lights became such an object of worshipful devotion.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
I learned to store Maglites without batteries in them. Sorry but I can not help.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
The batteries have swelled so you have to gut the them then Get a screwdriver and work your way around them pulling to the center. At some point, they will loosen up and come out. Flush with baking soda. A round brush on a drill to clean the ID helps speed things up.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
They're great for pounding in tent pegs. Beyond that, not so much. There are lots of brighter, lighter, and more reliable lights out there for a lot less money.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Hello all,
A couple of years ago I bought a couple of LED "D" cell Mag-Lights for my truck. The last time I used them was last winter as I recall. Since then, and a few surgeries later. I needed on the other day. I pulled it out, and no surprise it didn't work. I too the cap off and the batteries in both lights are corroded. I soaked both with Kroil around the batteries in heavy amounts for over 10 days hoping to free them up. I drilled a hole in the rear battery of one and threaded a large screw hook into the battery. All the pulling I can muster and it's not budging.
Rick

Duracell batteries?
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Energizer battery's? ,...?i f so send to mag lite ...u get a new flashlight the bunny and mag lite have a agreement!...easy fix...
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Energizer battery's? ,...?i f so send to mag lite ...u get a new flashlight the bunny and mag lite have a agreement!...easy fix...
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Good luck but contrary to the opinions on here I have had a 4 D cell mag light for more than 20 years, it rides under the back seat of my pick up 24/7 and it has never failed me.

I'm sure I've been lucky but that's where I'm at.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Throw the whole rig away and sin no more

I learned the maglite battery barrel bullcrap over 15 years ago.

From now on: three choices

1. Never buy another aluminum barrel flashlight again

2. Never leave batteries in, (which defeats the point of having a light ready at the need

3. If you are dead set and just love maglites, use the 2 or 3 AA mini lights and use lithium or ‘camera’ batteries in them

Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Flush with baking soda. A round brush on a drill to clean the ID helps speed things up.

Assuming alkaline batteries, what does the baking soda do?
Posted By: hanco Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
It’s trash, been there!
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Good luck but contrary to the opinions on here I have had a 4 D cell mag light for more than 20 years, it rides under the back seat of my pick up 24/7 and it has never failed me.

I think I still have 4 of them around. They're all 20-30 years old, have never given me any trouble and I'm pretty sure they all still work. That said they have been replaced by better, more modern LED lights and haven't gotten much use in recent years.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Put a LED head in my 30 year old 5 cell a year or so ago. Bright bastid now.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
My luck, if the batteries leak toward the front end, it's toast and not worth the salvage effort. An issue with the leds is batteries last too long and one rarely gives them a simple check. Still function well even when the batteries are leaking. Now I try to just unscrew them and give things a look on about a monthly basis.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Send them an e-mail telling them what happened.

They might ask for pictures or have you send it in.

They usually will send you another one.

By the way were the batteries Duracell?
Posted By: add Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Haven't bought a Mag Lite product in 30 yrs...

...damn glad about it too!
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
For those who have asked the brand of the batteries....I don't know. I haven't been able to get one out.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
The new mag lite that is designed from the get go to be an LED is a bright light that retains the ability to pound tent tent stakes.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
If anyone has a surviving MagLite, I suggest replacing the bulb with a BrightEyes unit, and tailcap switch if available. Run Energizer lithiums or Eneloop rechargeables. This combo has never leaked for me, unlike the the Duracell POS.

If you need a new one, Olights are the beans, regrettably made you know where. Pay the extra and get one with a button switch on the end. Also have a couple of rechargeable Streamlight headlamps that are excellent, COO unknown to me (lets keep it that way, please).
Posted By: ihookem Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
I have 3 d cell Maglights. My first one is 33? yrs. old. It sits up north in the cabin so it doesnt get used much . However, it always works.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[quote=5sdad]I never understood how Mag-Lights became such an object of worshipful devotion.
They're great for pounding in tent pegs. Beyond that, not so much. There are lots of brighter, lighter, and more reliable lights out there for a lot less money.

They were great for cracking skulls back in the day. Now they're pretty much worthless unless you crack skulls as a private person.
I can take a Klarus XT-11 with a crenelated bezel and take scalps like an old-school Iroquois. And it's much brighter.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
I had several PrincetonTech plastic xenon lights. Wasnt always galvanic seize, just that batteries leak period. Ruined several of those lights.

I quit buying any flashlight over $10

got a 10 pack of those little aluminum cylinder lights from dollar store and walmart. 10 for $10 with batteries already in them.

Take the lights and toss em around in every room of the house. $1 a pop

Corrode in 3 years. Pfft
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
O-Light. That’s your answer. Throw the Mag-light away.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Hello all,
Rick

Duracell batteries?

I bet not. I only buy Duracell now.

Energizer is the only brand I’ve had leak (twice). Energizer did send me a check for each item.

OP - pls post brand.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
JMHO-
As the others have posted.
Toss it and chalk it up to education.
BTDT on the corroded batteries- locked up tighter
than sheet ( unless you just have lots of disposable time)

Used to get the free ready-to-go harbor freight
lights as the coupon bonus deal.
I've probably got a dozen of those left that work.
They're about as bright as I need a flashlight to be.
I have a pretty bright one I received as a gift
that says ultra fire on one side and cree something
something on the other side and it recharges and
and it's pretty bright, but doesn't last long shining
full blast

Toss it and worry no more
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Flush with baking soda. A round brush on a drill to clean the ID helps speed things up.

Assuming alkaline batteries, what does the baking soda do?

Well, duh. It makes the alkaline leakage more basic! 😉🤣
For those who have asked the brand of the batteries....I don't know. I haven't been able to get one out.

Take the tail cap off and pour vinegar in. Let sit overnight.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21

If you ever have to hit someone upside the head with a 5 cell MAG-LITE You will understand worshipful Devotion Perfectly!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
I have a 3 cell. I put an LED conversion in it and now it's about 1/2 as bright as a $3 single AA light I got from Amazon.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

I think I still have 4 of them around. They're all 20-30 years old, have never given me any trouble and I'm pretty sure they all still work. That said they have been replaced by better, more modern LED lights and haven't gotten much use in recent years.

Sounds like your Leupolds

LMAO

Hold into the dust
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
I haven’t bought a mag light In THIRTY YEARS
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Put a LED head in my 30 year old 5 cell a year or so ago. Bright bastid now.....

Malice Green autograph model?
Posted By: Krazi Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
My FIL was a Deputy. He said the 4 d cell ones made a good bonker.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Sometimes you can save yourself a headache by first putting the batteries in a plastic sleeve (tube) first.

Phil
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Rick, it couldn't hurt to email the company with a photo or two to ask "What now?" They've been known to send people a pre-paid mailing label and then replace the unit no charge. Do that before you bung up anything.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Yeah, Maglites get wrecked by leakers (use the lithium cells) but they are better head knockers for things that go bump in the night.
Battery mfgs offer a guarantee.

https://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/battery-leakage

https://www.duracellpower.com/pages/warranty-replacement-request-form
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hello all,
Rick

Duracell batteries?

Energizer is the only brand I’ve had leak (twice). Energizer did send me a check for each item.

OP - pls post brand.

That's funny as schit IB, I've had exactly the opposite problem. I had Duracells ruin 3 flashlights and a thermostat, all Double A's and all Duracell.
Hello all,
Rick

Duracell batteries?

OP - pls post brand.

That's funny as schit IB, I've had exactly the opposite problem. I had Duracells ruin 3 flashlights and a thermostat, all Double A's and all Duracell.

🤷‍♀️
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Hello all,
Rick

Duracell batteries?

OP - pls post brand.

🤷‍♀️

My experience as well; Duracell and Kirkland batteries from Costco have been my leakers lately. No Energizer problems so far.
I have Kirkland batteries that are supposed to be good until 2030 leaking one year after buying.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Hello all,
Rick

Duracell batteries?

OP - pls post brand.

🤷‍♀️

My experience as well; Duracell and Kirkland batteries from Costco have been my leakers lately. No Energizer problems so far.
I have Kirkland batteries that are supposed to be good until 2030 leaking one year after buying,

I also have had major problems with Duracells destroying flashlights and gadgets the last couple of years. I figure they made some change that takes the "dura" part out of the name. I have switched exclusively to Energizers and have not noticed any problems so far.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
This website has honest reviews of modern LED/LEP flashlights, use the drop-down menu to narrow your search:

https://1lumen.com/
Posted By: texasbatman Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
The last couple of years I have had bad luck with Duracell batteries. Lots of leaks. I quit using them a few months back.

Jim
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21

I assume you never had cause to split a man's wig with one. They work marvelously in that capacity. Now, as an illumination device, they can certainly be lacking...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
No Duracell for me.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Mag lite help - 10/13/21
Rick,
sent you a PM
batteries these days are crap an leak a lot more than they used to.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Mag lite help - 10/14/21
Unaint sent it in yet ...get moving !
Posted By: AZmark Re: Mag lite help - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I assume you never had cause to split a man's wig with one. They work marvelously in that capacity. Now, as an illumination device, they can certainly be lacking...

Did that once. Had a 4 D cell maglite. He was out like a maglight that had batteries left in it for a year.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mag lite help - 10/14/21
Hello all,
Rick

Rick, do yourself a favour and throw it in the bin, then go peruse the Olight site.

Worked for me.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mag lite help - 10/14/21
How often does the need arise to use a light as a club? I've needed one for driving tent stakes 100x more often. They're a little thin to make a good wheel chock. I would prefer a light that's small and bright and leave the clubbing to an M1 Carbine in a quick draw holster.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Mag lite help - 10/14/21
Big Larry + Lithium...
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Mag lite help - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Hello all,
Rick

Duracell batteries?

OP - pls post brand.

🤷‍♀️

I have Kirkland batteries that are supposed to be good until 2030 leaking one year after buying.

Kirkland batteries as made by Duracell.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mag lite help - 10/14/21
Some batteries rechargeable IIRC, warn against use in a sealed unit. I think they get warm, then hot, then leak.
© 24hourcampfire