Home
Posted By: wabigoon Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
If you take any, what, and any side effects?

I'm just off Lininopril, and hope the phlegm goes away.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Yeah Lisinopril was a no go for me. I'm on losartan now for the past few years and it works well for me. No real side affects for me. Lucky I guess.
40 mg of Micardis , one a day .. no side effects that I know of
Thanks!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Was on Lisinopril, doc changed me to Losartin and Hydrochlorothizide. No side effects. Been on them about 12 years.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

That chit made me cough so bad I pulled a muscle in my groin. Take clonidine now.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Lisinopril/HCTZ combo pill. An occasional cough but not much. Been on it several years.

Dale
Take 100 mg of Atenolol with a 12.5 mg HCTZ alongside. Been taking it for years with no side effects.
Jesus fugking Christ.
I saw an old neighbor first time in years this evening.
He said he was just prescribe a bP med.

He looked like he had hepatitis. He lost energy and never saw him like that before. I thought he might have had a stroke, but he said no.
I'm also on Amlodipine.
Long list, will post more later so as no errors. Mostly needed because of impatience and intolerance of ignorant people
Lisinopril works fine for me
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
The thing to know about any medication is that whatever you take, there will be someone with an intense interest in your well-being to come along and tell you how harmful that medication is for you.
10mg of Norvasc - Amlodipine. I quit eating sweets, ice cream, potatoes and bread, lost weight and seem to be doing better.
I am glad there is a pill.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
I's on the Losartin the only side effect is I gots a constant hard on...
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Tell me more? laugh
I take Losartin. I had three heart attacks and quadruple bypass in 2012. Idiot doctors put me on a pressure pill that slowed my heart rate. I have an athletic heart and don't need its rate slowed down. I needed a medication that opened up my blood vessels. The doctor finally realized that was what I needed, but didn't take me off the first pill.

Then, when I told him I was getting dizzy and falling down, he said "Stop taking the first pill!". I had to diagnose my own problem and then figure out how much Losartin to take.

Needless to say, I don't go to that cardiologist any more. The important thing is to understand what's wrong with you, question the doctor, and do some research.

My wife takes a pressure pill that lowers her heart rate, opposite of me.

Tell me more? laugh

https://www.verywellhealth.com/cozaar-also-improves-sexual-function-2966814

The 12-week study of 164 men, all with hypertension, was divided into 2 groups of 82, one group with sexual dysfunction, the other group reported normal sexual functioning. Both groups took losartan in dosages of 50 to 100 milligrams daily for the 12 weeks of the study. In the group of men with sexual dysfunction, 88 percent reported improvement in at least one area of sexual function and 73.7% reported an improved quality of life.1

The number of men reporting improvement was at 88% during the study. The number of men involved in the study who reported impotence dropped from 75.3 % to 11.8%. The results of this study raise hope for men who have quit taking other blood pressure medications because they interfered with sexual function. Sexual dysfunction was defined for the study as decreased libido, impotence and poor sexual satisfaction.

The study group of men without sexual dysfunction, the drug did not produce changes in sexual function or satisfaction.
I'm also on Amlodipine.

Me too, have been for years.
Metoprolol and Ranexa. No side effects other than I sleep very well
I'm on exercise and clean living. The main side effects are increased natural testosterone levels and a general feeing of excellence.
Posted By: goalie Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by Squidge

Tell me more? laugh

https://www.verywellhealth.com/cozaar-also-improves-sexual-function-2966814

The 12-week study of 164 men, all with hypertension, was divided into 2 groups of 82, one group with sexual dysfunction, the other group reported normal sexual functioning. Both groups took losartan in dosages of 50 to 100 milligrams daily for the 12 weeks of the study. In the group of men with sexual dysfunction, 88 percent reported improvement in at least one area of sexual function and 73.7% reported an improved quality of life.1

The number of men reporting improvement was at 88% during the study. The number of men involved in the study who reported impotence dropped from 75.3 % to 11.8%. The results of this study raise hope for men who have quit taking other blood pressure medications because they interfered with sexual function. Sexual dysfunction was defined for the study as decreased libido, impotence and poor sexual satisfaction.

The study group of men without sexual dysfunction, the drug did not produce changes in sexual function or satisfaction.

Might be related to most cardiologists stopping beta blockers when starting cozaar.
I pulled me a big azz pork steak outta the freezer for dinner tomorrow !!!
Lisinopril 10mg per day. No problems.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
5mg of lisinopril each morning & 12.5mg metoprolol morning & night. No issues
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Dammit I forgot to mention metoprolol, Amlodipine, and chlorthalidone
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Metoprolol for me. No side effects other than it gives me weird dreams. I take it for a hereditary tachardia issue I’ve had all my life.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I'm on exercise and clean living. The main side effects are increased natural testosterone levels and a general feeing of excellence.

Seems prudent. I'm no expert, but isn't high BP usually associated with excess weight? Maybe some people have high BP while still being fit, for those people would Niacin have benefits? I've read that it supposed to lower blood pressure but haven't looked into it too much.
Originally Posted by deflave
Jesus fugking Christ.

Death is starting to seem like a viable option.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Metoprolol for me. No side effects other than it gives me weird dreams. I take it for a hereditary tachardia issue I’ve had all my life.

Ditto on the weird dreams, Neal!

LOL ! I’m gonna go visit Bob and eat the good stuff ! 🤠
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Exercise? ok.
Clean living?! Hell no.

C’mon down!
Heineken, pot and cocaine.

And a glass of water with a baby aspirin before bed time.
It would be a pleasure to break bread with Bob.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Heineken, pot and cocaine.

And a glass of water with a baby aspirin before bed time.

“What in the world ever became of sweet Jane?
She lost her sparkle, you know she isn't the same
Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine
All a friend can say is, "Ain't it a shame?"
Beta blockers don't do well for me. Years ago Doc put me on atenolol. While it did take my heart rate down aprox 20 bpm it was like hitting a brick wall when I was working out. I'd get my heart up to 130 bpm and the fatigue and shortness of breath would kick in. I'd have to slow down to cool down speed, took a long time to recover my energy level. I convinced my doctor to take me off of the atenolol, within six months I had a silent heart attack and ended up with triple bypass surgery. After the surgery my cardiologist put me on metoprolol which has the same effect as the atenolol. I'm also on Norvasc and Lisinapril.
Pay attention to your BP, it’s the biggest risk factor for heart failure.
What all the excitement over high blood pressure there seems to be little they can do for low blood pressure which is just as deadly.
Originally Posted by Texson2
What all the excitement over high blood pressure there seems to be little they can do for low blood pressure which is just as deadly.

I have had a couple of hospital visits where they hooked me up to a heart monitor and the low BP low Heart Rate alarms went off. Turns out those ranges are set for couch potatoes, and I was fine.
HCTZ/Amlodipine/Metroptolol

Was on Lisinopril.
Had an unexplained episode of sudden face swelling, eyes and mouth.
Scary [bleep], I blew up like a balloon, and it kept going getting worse
by the hour. Took awhile and several hits of medicine at the ER to
get things under control.

Had another attack within a month, this time it was just eyes.

The ER doc ordered Lisinopril to be stopped immediately.
It can cause those kind of things, and he seemed pissed that it
was even being used.

Did an allergy panel with an allergist, couldn't find anything else that
may have triggered it. Lisinopril wasn't in the panel. So no evidence
to prove anything.

That was several years ago, hasn't happened since.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
My mother, father, brothers and sister all started taking blood pressure medicine about age 50.

I am 70 and have never taken it.
I had high blood pressure and cured it myself by cutting carbs.

It is thought that when the body produces too much insulin and leptin in response to a higher-carb diet, it causes blood pressure to increase. Hyperinsulinemia raises blood pressure, in part, by decreasing sodium and water excretion in the kidneys, and directly vasocontristing blood vessels.

Years later, my sister is a pharmacist, and is now slim. If she is not fat, she is off the carbs.

Carbohydrates cause; high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, obesity, stokes, and senility.

The American Heart Association are a bunch of quacks or crooks.

The association was criticized for its recommendations of low-fat diets and its "Heart Check Program", which approved unhealthy foods such as processed cereals high in sugar in exchange of a payment. They have misinformed the public on the nature of sodium. Sodium does not affect blood pressure as they state on their website.

I couldn't take the coughing caused by Lisinopril. I've been on Losartan for a couple years now. It's ok but the Lisinopril worked better.
Originally Posted by ldholton
Long list, will post more later so as no errors. Mostly needed because of impatience and intolerance of ignorant people

Diltiazem [240gr]
Bystolic [ 10mg] only one that have help and the list tied is long.
Not BP meds but Celebrex 50mg 2x a day
And baby aspirin routine .
My biggest issues are stress and dealing with old injuries / pain .
Ldholton : Celebrex and asa are not a good combo
Originally Posted by 338Rules

And ??
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
HCTZ/Amlodipine/Metroptolol

Was on Lisinopril.
Had an unexplained episode of sudden face swelling, eyes and mouth.
Scary [bleep], I blew up like a balloon, and it kept going getting worse
by the hour. Took awhile and several hits of medicine at the ER to
get things under control.

Had another attack within a month, this time it was just eyes.

The ER doc ordered Lisinopril to be stopped immediately.
It can cause those kind of things, and he seemed pissed that it
was even being used.

Did an allergy panel with an allergist, couldn't find anything else that
may have triggered it. Lisinopril wasn't in the panel. So no evidence
to prove anything.

That was several years ago, hasn't happened since.

Angioedema. Bad.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I couldn't take the coughing caused by Lisinopril. I've been on Losartan for a couple years now. It's ok but the Lisinopril worked better.

ACE cough. Common.
Posted By: denton Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Was on Amlodipine as part of my regimen. Sapped my energy beyond belief. Doctor cut that and switched me from Losartan to Irbesartan, which is stronger and lasts longer. Also a side order of chlorthalidone, which seems to be very effective.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Beta blockers don't do well for me. Years ago Doc put me on atenolol. While it did take my heart rate down aprox 20 bpm it was like hitting a brick wall when I was working out. I'd get my heart up to 130 bpm and the fatigue and shortness of breath would kick in. I'd have to slow down to cool down speed, took a long time to recover my energy level. I convinced my doctor to take me off of the atenolol, within six months I had a silent heart attack and ended up with triple bypass surgery. After the surgery my cardiologist put me on metoprolol which has the same effect as the atenolol. I'm also on Norvasc and Lisinapril.

When that happened your doc should have done an EKG on the treadmill to see if you had blockages to your heart muscle blood supply. Classic case of Angina, you start to exercise, but your heart can't supply enough oxygen rich blood to your body because it isn't receiving sufficient oxygen itself. You run out of energy quickly and eventually if you push it too hard you damage your heart muscle and have a heart attack. I got to the point I couldn't go around the yard a single time with my lawnmower without stopping to catch my breath. Went to see my doctor, he had me in my cardiologist the next day- 4 stents placed 2 days later. I feel fine now, but I'm on Metropolol for reduced heart rate and lower my blood pressure and Statins to keep my stents from getting blocked again... felt great ever since... and that was 12 years ago...

Younger brother had the same thing happen to him, but he ended up with a five way bypass and same meds... no problems for him either...

Bob

Isosorbide Dinitrate
Carvedilol
Hydralizine
Torsemide
Originally Posted by Sheister

When that happened your doc should have done an EKG on the treadmill to see if you had blockages to your heart muscle blood supply. Classic case of Angina, you start to exercise, but your heart can't supply enough oxygen rich blood to your body because it isn't receiving sufficient oxygen itself. You run out of energy quickly and eventually if you push it too hard you damage your heart muscle and have a heart attack. I got to the point I couldn't go around the yard a single time with my lawnmower without stopping to catch my breath. Went to see my doctor, he had me in my cardiologist the next day- 4 stents placed 2 days later. I feel fine now, but I'm on Metropolol for reduced heart rate and lower my blood pressure and Statins to keep my stents from getting blocked again... felt great ever since... and that was 12 years ago...

Younger brother had the same thing happen to him, but he ended up with a five way bypass and same meds... no problems for him either...

Bob
I'm opposite heart could/ would hit 180 for no reason the type beta blocker I'm on now relaxed 50
I take Olmesartan (generic Benicar) plus HCTZ.

Lisinopril gave me a constant dry cough, had to shidt can it.
If I would known better I would have found a new MD sooner. When I complained to him about my issues he'd tell me that he was concerned that if I had a stress test I'd have a false positive and then a needless heart cath. That didn't work out well...
My LAD ended up with a blockage below the bypass, a cardiologist put in a stent sized too small. That stent grew tissue inside of it. Another cardiologist went in, had to balloon the stent and put in a longer/larger stent. He recommended bracky therapy to deal with the tissue growth. I went in for the radiation treatment as soon as hospitals were seeing cardiology patients again in 2020, in three months time frame the stent was 75% occluded with tissue growth. So far it appears the radiation worked.
I also take imdur to deal with angina issues...
Coreg (carvedilol)
Benicar HCT
Baby Aspirin

Clonidine worked but kicked my ass and made me so parched I couldn't stand it

All of these knock your dick in the dirt.
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob
I'm opposite heart could/ would hit 180 for no reason the type beta blocker I'm on now relaxed 50

My daughter in law has the same heart condition. At the moment they have her on metropolol and something else, can't remember what.... still isn't completely controlled and she has gained a lot of weight due to the slowdown of her metabolism...
For every 5 mm/Hg reduction in BP, you lower your risk of stroke 50%.
100 MG losartan, with 25 MG diuretic built into it. Only side effect has been a knuckle on my right hand hurts sometimes
Check family history for disease
Until I was laying in the ICU I had no idea that my
maternal grandpa died young of heart failure.
He was a hard working slim jim string bean from
the farm, and he didn't make 60

Metoprolol
Losartan
Amlodipine
Hydrochlorothiazide
Atorvastatin
Aspirin
Every day

It gets old, but I guess it's better than not getting old

JMHO- diet alone won't keep you alive if
your genes have it in for you
Been on Losartin and Amlodipine for the last five years or so. Can't really tell if there are any side effects and they are working good as far as BP goes.

I read about two studies they did where they found that two types of BP meds would lessen the effects of covid. Losartin being one of them. I think that was why my covid case felt like a light flu. Whereas my wife sat in the recliner and coughed for two weeks and felt like she was run over by a truck.

Either way, we both dodged a bullet.
Indosyl Combi 4/1.25

Not noticing anything at all.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Atorvastatin - Losartin - Hydroclorot - Propranolo - for Hypertension and CAD.

Seems to work.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Losartin Coreg and Aldactone. No change in meds for the past 5 years now
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Tag for later
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter

That chit made me cough so bad I pulled a muscle in my groin. Take clonidine now.

I thought I would pop a blood vessel in my head coughing from that med.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Isosorbide Dinitrate
Carvedilol
Hydralizine
Torsemide

Dayum.

Your kidney issues bring on the heart/BP troubles?

I was on indapimide for years, couldn't even remember which doc started it or why.

After that little syncope episode I had a few months back the cardiologist decided it may have been keeping too much potassium washed out.

Still using a ACE inhibitor and they added Amlodipine.

Nuclear stress tests, echo's and EKG all good. Two, two week monitors both were good.

Heart disease runs strong on my dads side of the family so I have always tried to stay on top of BP and cholesterol issues, and I keep my weight down plus exercise.

I do like beer. So I generally drink my bread.....life goes on, try to enjoy it best you can.
Lisinopril and I take Benzonotate to help with the dry cough.Tired Norvasc, Losartin and Carvidilol. All had side effects from them
Posted By: EdM Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
The latest on aspirin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/12/health/aspirin-heart-attack-stroke.html
Originally Posted by blindshooter

Isosorbide Dinitrate
Carvedilol
Hydralizine
Torsemide

Dayum.

Your kidney issues bring on the heart/BP troubles?

I was on indapimide for years, couldn't even remember which doc started it or why.

After that little syncope episode I had a few months back the cardiologist decided it may have been keeping too much potassium washed out.

Still using a ACE inhibitor and they added Amlodipine.

Nuclear stress tests, echo's and EKG all good. Two, two week monitors both were good.

Heart disease runs strong on my dads side of the family so I have always tried to stay on top of BP and cholesterol issues, and I keep my weight down plus exercise.

I do like beer. So I generally drink my bread.....life goes on, try to enjoy it best you can.

Yes
Bad kidneys, release crazy adrenal stuff. Zap blood pressure
Ivermectin.

Is that why you go by Grizz?
I couldn't do Lisinopril either. HCTZ had me pissin' every 15 minutes for like 2 hours.
New doc and now I am on .75 of Losartin. My BP was 128/77 20 minutes ago.
I'm 60 and slightly overweight. It was time for my CG physical a couple of months back and my BP was 150/100. Doc said "no salt". Two months later it was 128/80.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21

Prescribed Lisinopril, though not for high blood pressure but as an aide to help avoid kidney damage, a common side affect of some other meds I'm taking. I do have the lisinopril cough but I'm told that the cough and throat irritation is a fairly common side affect of pretty much all in that class of meds.
https://www.heartfailurematters.org...sin-inhibitor-arni-sacubitril-valsartan/
DeFlave: I (and my family), back when I was a child, were kicked out of two major religions (Mormon - 1954 and Catholic - 1960) but I think I remember correctly that "Thou shall NOT take the Lords name in vain"!
If I recall correctly that was one of the "big rules"?
Hang loose brutha.
Judgement day may, in fact, be fo'real.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Will be 70 next month. My BP was running 155/100 and higher. Went through all the tests. Heart muscle was thickened. No other kidney or vision damage at that time. Now taking lisinopril 40mg, amlodipine 5mg and hydrochlorothiazide 2.5mg. BP is staying about 120/80. Have to force myself to drink lots of water or I get dehydrated. Usually around 4:00 in the afternoon I have a coughing spell. Helps clear out the aisles at the store.

Edited to add I would like to grow about 4 inches taller or loose about 20 pounds. The weight loss is probably more doable.
Surprising to see all of the lisinopril

That was like first generation 2-bit blood pressure med. Doesn’t work all that great and gives patients a persistent wet cough.

Anyone I know that’s been on that is on something else now. Like the 1980s wants their meds back.

And HTCZ is garbage, that cheap chit made me black out. Another old class med. Must be a medicare thing.

That was like first generation 2-bit blood pressure med. Doesn’t work all that great and gives patients a persistent wet cough.

Anyone I know that’s been on that is on something else now. Like the 1980s wants their meds back.

And HTCZ is garbage, that cheap chit made me black out. Another old class med. Must be a medicare thing.

Insurance companies love the generics.

And doctors write them to avoid the hassle.

It’s the easiest route.
Posted By: EdM Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/14/21
Lisinopril-HCTZ 10-25 MG and Nifedipine 60 MG since 2009 without any issues.

That was like first generation 2-bit blood pressure med. Doesn’t work all that great and gives patients a persistent wet cough. Anyone I know that’s been on that is on something else now. Like the 1980s wants their meds back.

There are quite a few older medications that still work very well.I suppose you think aspirin isn't any good either although it is still the safes blood thinner person can take.Also a diuretic HTCZ) has been proven to help lower BP with little if any side effects, unless maybe you have BPH.

Originally Posted by joken2

Prescribed Lisinopril, though not for high blood pressure but as an aide to help avoid kidney damage, a common side affect of some other meds I'm taking. I do have the Lisinopril cough but I'm told that the cough and throat irritation is a fairly common side affect of pretty much all in that class of meds.

You might get your doc to let you try Benzonatate (Tesslon Perls) for the cough. They sure help .

C’mon down!

Thanks Bob !
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/15/21
My cardiologist told me recent studies have shown lisinopril has actually restored thickened heart muscle. Will find out next month if that is true for me.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/15/21
When your only tool is a prescription pad, all your carb eating patients need medicine.
Originally Posted by 45_100
My cardiologist told me recent studies have shown lisinopril has actually restored thickened heart muscle. Will find out next month if that is true for me.

It’s called reverse remodeling. ACE inhibitors like lisinopril do it, so do ARBs, beta blockers, and ARNI.

The data on everything but ARNI is pretty old. Generic manufacturers don’t tend to spend money on clinical trials.

Wabigoon,

I don't think that BP meds are what we.need as much as more water daily and less time around the trolls

😄
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Blood pressure medications? - 10/15/21
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by 45_100

It’s called reverse remodeling. ACE inhibitors like lisinopril do it, so do ARBs, beta blockers, and ARNI.

The data on everything but ARNI is pretty old. Generic manufacturers don’t tend to spend money on clinical trials.

Thanks for clarifying
Originally Posted by 338Rules

And ??

Talk with your pharmacist or BP about this :

asa has exaggerated side effects when combined with other ant-inflammatories like Celebrex , which is helping with your old injuries.

Why are you taking 81mg asa ? Do you have arrhythmia ? ( irregular heart beat )
© 24hourcampfire