Home
My wife read some stuff on making tomato powder. You dry them and blend them into a powder. They retain most of the nutrients as only water is removed. That makes them easy to store. They can be sprinkled dry on food or they can be reconstituted to make juice, paste, etc.
We're in the experimental stage right now, making the powder. We haven't got to the using it part yet. If you have the tomatoes, search for 'tomato powder' to get a bunch of ideas.

The nutrients in many dried foods are destroyed by oxidation. You can get very cheap oxygen removal packets, like those little packets you find inside many things you buy. They greatly extend the shelf life of dried foods.
sun dried tomatoes, paste never heard of powdering...
do yo have to puree first?
We bought a freeze drier this summer so we're drying them that way. We just slice them to about 3/4 to 1". This is new to us, too, so I can't answer many questions until we get more experience. We've used a regular dryer in the past, just slicing them.

I've never dried tomatoes, but see them on the shelf at the store and know they have it in some dried veggie soup blends.
Sounds like a great way to reuse and not take up space.
That would be a good way to store indefinitely without botulism.

Throw them at your terrible neighbors house at night.
When you dry tomatoes, you'll be surprised at how much salt is in them.
Dried lots of sliced tomatoes.

Try adding seasonings to them, various.
They rehydrate just fine for cooking.
Can em.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Huh?
Freeze them in zip lock bags.

C;lick Here
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Can em.
We have over 100 qts canned now but the maters just keep coming. We're out of jars and storage space. That's storing a lot of water. Powder takes up hardly any space.
Salsa
My wife read some stuff on making tomato powder. You dry them and blend them into a powder. They retain most of the nutrients as only water is removed. That makes them easy to store. They can be sprinkled dry on food or they can be reconstituted to make juice, paste, etc.
We're in the experimental stage right now, making the powder. We haven't got to the using it part yet. If you have the tomatoes, search for 'tomato powder' to get a bunch of ideas.

The nutrients in many dried foods are destroyed by oxidation. You can get very cheap oxygen removal packets, like those little packets you find inside many things you buy. They greatly extend the shelf life of dried foods.
Make your own pizza sauce, your own salsa, your own spaghetti sauce... Pressure can it in pints/quarts/whatever and they'll keep for years..
Originally Posted by bluefish

You mean the known Democrats
A quart jar will hold a BUNCH of tomatoes when they're dried and powdered. Here're some ideas and recipes for using it: TOMATO POWDER Like I said, we're just making the powder now. We haven't tried any of this stuff yet.
i just core them and toss them in freezer bags. take out and thaw and the skin comes right off. good for chili and also can be run through a juicer easy to get rid of the seeds. canning is good too but kind of a PITA.
Can em.
We have over 100 qts canned now but the maters just keep coming. We're out of jars and storage space. That's storing a lot of water. Powder takes up hardly any space.

Call up a nursing home and ask if they can use some.
Rock Chuck I will be headed up that way next Wednesday and I would be happy to take some off your hands…
A couple years ago after canning all we needed I initiated a tomato fight with two neighbor kids.
Originally Posted by Springcove
Rock Chuck I will be headed up that way next Wednesday and I would be happy to take some off your hands…
We don't have any frost in the forecast before then so they should still be good. I'm going hunting but should be home Wed afternoon at the latest.
Originally Posted by Springcove
We don't have any frost in the forecast before then so they should still be good. I'm going hunting but should be home Wed afternoon at the latest.

I will send you a PM Wednesday when I get to Hagerman.
I’d make fresh pico de gallo by the gallon. I can eat that stuff every single day, and with every single meal.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i just core them and toss them in freezer bags. take out and thaw and the skin comes right off. good for chili and also can be run through a juicer easy to get rid of the seeds. canning is good too but kind of a PITA.
We've done that a lot. However, right now we only have room for 1 elk and the season opens soon. I'd hate to have to throw out a bunch of tomatoes to get an elk squeezed in.
Tomato Preserves MINUS the nutmeg or cinnamon that is recommended in many recipes.
Try a little you may like the addition of spices.
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by bluefish

You mean the known Democrats

Good idea. I always use rotten eg..., uh, nevermind.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Can em.

Call up a nursing home and ask if they can use some.

Great idea there for sure.
Originally Posted by antlers
I’d make fresh pico de gallo by the gallon. I can eat that stuff every single day, and with every single meal.

Me too..
Make a big batch & freeze

There's lots of natural MSG in tomatoes. I don't think it's harmful like the copious amounts of industrial MSG in fast food, but it does enhance flavor.
If you have sore joints or muscles, you might want to try to eliminate the night shade family of plants and tomatoes for a couple of weeks. Drink lots of water and eat lots of dark greens and see if it clears up.
A lot of seniors are on meds that can change diet and see results. I don't know if that's you, or any in your family, but it's a very common correctable condition JFYI and anyone reading this.
tomatoes are hell on wheels for those of us that have arthritis! Take that to the bank! Google: night shade vegetables .learn and hurt less
Originally Posted by keith
tomatoes are hell on wheels for those of us that have arthritis! Take that to the bank! Google: night shade vegetables .learn and hurt less

I like pretty much all of the nightshades, so I get reminded from time to time. It's probably true of a lot of folks suffering so much that they get the series of shots and meds. Eventually are convinced to go for surgery and unnecessary joint replacements. Nobody ever took the time or cared enough to share that valuable info.
That's why I look at meals with pasta sauce, peppers, etc as a treat and not a regular staple. They're enjoyable in limited amounts.
Pick them green and pickle them in salt brine. Soak them when you take them out of the can to get the salt out then slice them up and fry them in bacon grease with sweet corn.
Between salsa and spaghetti sauce, there is no such thing as "excess" tomatoes around here. smile
To beat the frost, we plan on taking a bucket to church to share.
© 24hourcampfire