Home
Posted By: johnw Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
Nights are getting longer, and I'm spending more time in the house.

Most nights I'd as soon read a good novel as turn on a movie, but the winter should be long enough to pursue some of both.

I'll throw out the book series by Donald Harstad, about Nations County, Iowa deputy sheriff Carl Houseman. Fantastic action, yet grounded in plausibility. Harstad is a retired deputy from the region he writes about and he knows his subject matter well. IIRC, his first in the series was "Eleven Days"
Excellent writing...
Posted By: johnw Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
I'd like to avoid the Jack Reacher/Lee Childs sort of stuff. Childs has no concept of the US Military that his fictional protagonist was supposed to have come from.

The best fiction could be true
Check out Michael Connelly, great mystery writer dealing with cases involving both L.A. Police Dept detectives and L. A. Sheriff's Dept. detectives.

Also mystery novels by David Baldacci, Both authors offer good entertaining reading.

L.W.
Agree on Connelly. Think I've read every thing he's written

Seems like I've started a couple of Baldacci books and didn't finish them. I'll try again
C j box.

Joe Pickett series.

Jack Carr.
I surf the Books a Miilion [BAM] clearance section for deals.

$7 a book isn’t bad.
Other notable authors I've enjoyed are Kent Haruf, and John Grisham. Both are masters of the elements they write of

I read Craig Johnson, but really have to suspend reality to do it. Downcheck...
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
C j box.

Joe Pickett series.

Jack Carr.

Really Like the Joe Pickett stuff. Wish Box would kill off Nate Romanowski.
Posted By: add Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
That black actor who dresses up as an aunt or as somebody's gramma, or something, and are supposed to be comedies.

Rent those.
He’s the outlaw he one likes till they need him.

The OG rip.
He was homeless.

In a Chevy cavelier

The OG rip.

Mr Bean?
I hate reading to be reading

And we ditched the DirecTv

Probably start dehoarding the shops and barns this winter now the the darn wasps will go in slug mode. Might get a 20 yard dumpster sent out

The OG rip.

Box invented Romanowski without having any military experience and without consulting with anyone who did.

Fiction is all made up, but to be good it needs to be believable.
Originally Posted by johnw

The OG rip.

Box invented Romanowski without having any military experience and without consulting with anyone who did.

Bring in Jack Carr.
I guess I'm not wholly consistent in my need for plausibility in a book. I've read almost everything Randy Wayne White has written under his own name. All of the "Doc Ford" novels.
So much for reality...
Ace Atkins

He does good.
I also occasionally read science fiction. Scalzi's "Old Men's War" series was pretty good.

I was spoiled for fantasy fiction by reading Tolkien when I was in high school.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
Originally Posted by add
That black actor who dresses up as an aunt or as somebody's gramma, or something, and are supposed to be comedies.

Rent those.

Madea is bad ass. Packs a pistola in that big ol purse of hers.
Ace Atkins

He does good.

Good thought. I've read a couple of his.

They are a little grittier than i really like but he writes well.

Other authors like him are J.Todd Scott, and Kris Lackey
You might check out the book quoted in my sig line?

It's about hunting in a way, a greedy hunter, and men and the evils of men. I looked it up because I love the desert and ran into that quote somewhere and got the book. I found it good enough I reread it every year or so.

Then again..................................I'm weird........................and enjoy weird scheidt sometimes.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by add

Rent those.

Never heard of that.
nick pitre.

havetnt read it yet, but was on the '$3 list at the DG.
Posted By: drover Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Check out Michael Connelly, great mystery writer dealing with cases involving both L.A. Police Dept detectives and L. A. Sheriff's Dept. detectives.

Also mystery novels by David Baldacci, Both authors offer good entertaining reading.

L.W.

I am not that fond of Baldacci novels but I enjoy Connelly, The Amazon series Bosch is an adaptation of the L.A. detective character in the Connelly books.

drover
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Rent those.

Never heard of that.

Yep, threatened to shoot some jerk in one of the movies.

Good Christian messages in "her" movies too.
Blood meridian.

It's about hunting in a way, a greedy hunter, and men and the evils of men. I looked it up because I love the desert and ran into that quote somewhere and got the book. I found it good enough I reread it every year or so.

Then again..................................I'm weird........................and enjoy weird scheidt sometimes.

Just downloaded a sample of the book from Google Books to my phone

I re-read a ton of stuff. The Donald Harstad novels I mentioned in the OP? Probably read all of them 4 or 5 times now. Same with Connelly, Randy Wayne White, and others.
Originally Posted by Raferman
Blood meridian.

Once was enough, for that one...

The OG rip.

Bring in Jack Carr.

I've read Jack Carr. He writes well, and his plots are plausible enough

I feel like he's reaching a bit with James Reece's genesis, or origin. Reece's father was both a spook/warrior, and an all American father who imparted superior moral convictions and a grand outdoor lifestyle to his son. Okay...

In my mind, Jack Carr/James Reece killed Hillary Clinton in his first book. Audacious...
And worth reading again, now that we've brought it up
Originally Posted by Raferman
Blood meridian.

Once was enough, for that one...

Based on the dark exploits and violent end of John Glanton, served with the Texas Rangers under RIP Ford when they first went into Mexico as part of the war effort in 1846.
Watched "Official Secrets" on Netflix. Very good. (based on true events) But,,,, with the disclaimer, I am now a peacenik and have been ever since my enlistment was up in 1967. So, if you were a fan of Bush and Colin Powell, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Carl Rove, Tony Blair, and 'huge stocks of WMD's', you may not enjoy it.
Don't read fiction any more so can't recommend much there but it seems you like detective or police related material.

The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh is a good book and movie.

LA Confidential is a good noir type movie set in the 1940's with Russell Crowe and Kim Basinger. Basinger won an Oscar for her role here.

A lot of the old Humphrey Bogart classics are great, such as The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep in particular. Also lots of the film noir movies of the 40's and 50's like Double Indemnity. They aren't as gritty as modern movies but the stories and dialogue haven't lost anything with age.

Babylon Berlin is an excellent TV series from Germany about a rather conflicted police inspector in the late 1920's Weimar era, it's in German with subtitles but I think there is an English dubbed version as well.

On the somewhat lighter side, Knives Out is a good comedy/murder mystery movie.
Posted By: g5m Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
Much of John Sandford's stuff. As mentioned, Grisham, Baldacci, Connelly. C.J. Box. Craig Johnson.

Also Robert B. Parker, and those written by others in his name (Ace Atkins, etc.) after Parker's death.

I like some local stories so J.A. Jance. She tells a now amusing/ironic story of going to the University of Arizona and taking a creative writing class where the prof told her to quit becaus she'd never be a writer. Her books have sold many millions of copies. Her husband was supposedly the writer in the family who never had anything published, apparently, as was the case of the professor. Their is a lot more to that story that she tells in person.

If you like sea going stuff Robert Bunes' new book "Wind, Fire and Ice" is out about a Coast Guard icebreaker acruise in !969-70. That one is meaningful to me.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
Baggy Zero Four and Mike Five Eight: Air War Over Cambodia

The Author is some guy named Rocky Raab.
The Galaxy’s Edge series. If you like science fiction, military, space opera stuff. I’m like 19 books deep now.

I know Amazon sucks, but the kindle unlimited has saved me many hundreds of dollars every year.
If you like the old film noir movies, read some of the master writers of the genre. Dashielle Hammett, James Cain, and Raymond Chandler. Great story tellers.

L.W.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The Galaxy’s Edge series. If you like science fiction, military, space opera stuff. I’m like 19 books deep now.

I know Amazon sucks, but the kindle unlimited has saved me many hundreds of dollars every year.

You recommended these before, and I'd like to check them out. Not seen them in print, and they're n ot available on Google books. Yet...
I've read a lot of Sandford's stuff. Mostly pretty well written.

I see JA Jance everywhere. Can't remember if I tried any of it, but I'm way leery of female fiction writers.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh is a good book and movie.

I read a couple of Wambaughs novels. His best are hilarious.

Well... Some consider The Onion Field his best. I don't recall the hilarity in that one, but it's been decades
Might be a re-read...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/58/1/movie-book-and-music-review
I mentioned a movie on the tarred and feathers thread called LAWLESS. It's based on the life of a moonshiner and a damn good movie if you haven't seen it.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

You recommended these before, and I'd like to check them out. Not seen them in print, and they're n ot available on Google books. Yet...

Hate to repeat myself, can never remember which books I've recommended. They're easy to read, and politically don't pull any punches. I was a hold out for a long time on the e-books, but once I dipped my toe I'm a full blown convert.
Posted By: wahoo Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
bernard cornwell...the last kingdom series. there is a miniseries also. ditto on raymond chandler.
Originally Posted by wahoo
bernard cornwell...the last kingdom series. there is a miniseries also. ditto on raymond chandler.

The books, oh hell YES.

And the Sharpe series by him as well. I never gave much of a rip about napoleonic times, but the Sharpe series is badass,.
The twenty or so series by Patrick O'Brien that starts with Master and Commander.
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 10/24/21
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I mentioned a movie on the tarred and feathers thread called LAWLESS. It's based on the life of a moonshiner and a damn good movie if you haven't seen it.
Paul B.

Yep. Worth watching.

Also The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell. There are two follow ups I think.
Duncan Hamilton has a series that is incredible too. If you are into fantasy with shades of historical grounding.

Dan Davis Immortal Knight series is another one that is really damned fugking good if you are a history nerd.

Thrice Named Man series by Hector Miller is another I can recommend with no hesitancy. Historical fiction.

Adrian Goldsworthy also has an awesome series set in Roman times.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Also The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell. There are two follow ups I think.

yup.

Basically anything by Cornwell lol
Master of War series as well by David Gilman I recommend highly. Very highly!
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Baggy Zero Four and Mike Five Eight: Air War Over Cambodia

The Author is some guy named Rocky Raab.

Tobacco Spittin Women in Competition

hold me back
Posted By: johnw Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 11/12/21

I read it. Some interesting perspective. A little out there on the spirit stuff?

also signed back up for netflix. I'll watch a few things this fall/winter.

First netflix movie was "The Old Guard" Decent show despite that 2 of the good guys were queers.

Seems like every movie has a despite to it, in some way

Also watched "An Unfinished Life", despite Robert Redford playing a leading role. Good actor that I detest

Looking for another netflix show tonight
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
The twenty or so series by Patrick O'Brien that starts with Master and Commander.

+1

I'm currently on number 8. Excellent writing.
The Rivers Ran East, by Leonard Clark.

A barn burner about exploring the Amazon in the early 50,s. Its tough to not finish in one night.
Posted By: johnw Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 11/12/21
And I just got disgusted and cancelled netflix again
Posted By: pointer Re: Book and Movie Recommends? - 11/12/21
If you like historical fiction, I really enjoyed Conn Iggulden. Especially the ones on Julius Ceasar and Ghengis Khan.
© 24hourcampfire