Home
Posted By: Armednfree Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Tossed the 22 in the truck before work this A.M. After work I took a walk on the edge of some woods. There's a narrow tractor trail along the woods with standing corn in the field. 30 minutes and 5 squirrels, that's cheating. I could have gotten more, but 5 was enough. The woods are loaded with squirrel, almost no one hunts them anymore. These are fox squirrels, we never see greys around here.
How do you prepare them?
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Tossed the 22 in the truck before work this A.M. After work I took a walk on the edge of some woods. There's a narrow tractor trail along the woods with standing corn in the field. 30 minutes and 5 squirrels, that's cheating. I could have gotten more, but 5 was enough. The woods are loaded with squirrel, almost no one hunts them anymore. These are fox squirrels, we never see greys around here.

A bud and I still love to get out and kill some. A lot of kids will never know how fun it is.
Posted By: EMoore Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
How do you prepare them?

He probably just sneaks up on them and shoots them...no need to warn or "prepare" them for what's coming. Y'all do it different in Montana?
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Ain’t no more little old widow womerns to give em to

Me and ren just toss em in a ditch

Can’t even find a negro that will take a drum fish or a snapping turtle either.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by EMoore
How do you prepare them?

He probably just sneaks up on them and shoots them...no need to warn or "prepare" them for what's coming. Y'all do it different in Montana?

grin some squirrels just need shootin'

mike r
I killed six greys in just over an hour yesterday. Used to run into other squirrel and rabbit hunters afield all the time 40 years ago. Never anymore. If it ain't got antlers or a beard to hang on the wall and brag about, folks ain't interested anymore.
Hope those fox sq up there aren't as chewy as the fox sq down here.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
I used to look forward to the first day of squirrel almost as much, if not more than deer. rain or shine. i would hunt all day or long enough to get my limit. kind of lost the passion so to speak within the past 5-6 or so years. still get out 2-3 times a season. usually don't even take a shot. everybody talks about how great squirrel is. eh. i eat them but i wouldn't order them at arbys.
Posted By: Lacy1 Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
I love fried squirrel, some crispy, some simmered in milk gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits!!!
Squirrel dumplings
Posted By: EMoore Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
JC got his squirrels trained to drink Worcestershire sauce so they're already marinated from the inside out 🤣
Originally Posted by rem141r
I used to look forward to the first day of squirrel almost as much, if not more than deer. rain or shine. i would hunt all day or long enough to get my limit. kind of lost the passion so to speak within the past 5-6 or so years. still get out 2-3 times a season. usually don't even take a shot. everybody talks about how great squirrel is. eh. i eat them but i wouldn't order them at arbys.
Young of the year are good battered and fried. Older ones make good squirrel gravy and biscuits. I don't like them as good as cottontail but they are tasty if prepared right.
Posted By: Lacy1 Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
I have a couple of friends that have trained squirrel dogs. Hunting with them is a blast.

I knew a guy that made squirrel brains and eggs . I tried it once but not on my list of favorites .
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Squirrel brain and a quail egg, great start to the day and not too filling.

mike r
Posted By: skfullen Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Squirrel & Dumplings. That's the ticket!
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Hope those fox sq up there aren't as chewy as the fox sq down here.

Crock pot will fix that , Kenneth
JC got his squirrels trained to drink Worcestershire sauce so they're already marinated from the inside out 🤣

The big town over west has some squirrels.

They wont even let you get after them with a sling shot. They would rather you took your commodity cheese and went home.
Originally Posted by Lacy1
I love fried squirrel, some crispy, some simmered in milk gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits!!!
Squirrel dumplings

That sounds damn good.

We fix rabbit in a similar fashion.
The Hmong have cleaned the State out of our Gray and Fox squirrels. Come to think of it the chipmunks and Reds are on the decline also.

WS
Good to see ArmedandFree posting.
They just won't allow shooting them on the courthouse lawn? grin

On our courthouse grounds they have some but not a huntable number.
Around here foxes are the only squirrels we have. We have reds but we have to drive a ways to the mountains to find them. These foxes were introduced for their 'cuteness' and have become a real pain in the rear. I shoot them in my orchard as they're really hard on fruit. I never get enough to eat, though. They come 1 at a time.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
No fox squirrels here only runnin' greys. Thing is they are all ate up with wolves or warbles. I kill them for the cat and dogs.
I like to take the gray’s, fry em’ up, and then put them in a baking dish and cover with cream of mushroom soup.
Next I put them in the oven on 275 for a couple of hours.
Mashed potatoes, green beans and corn rounds it all out.
First class comfort food!
Posted By: shootem Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by Armednfree

You’re in Ohio so you I’m assuming y’all have the Midwestern variety of fox squirrel. They have finally reached the northwest corner of North Carolina. I’ve seen them in both Ashe and Allegheny counties which border TN and VA. cute little devils but I wouldn’t be above eating them. They have similar coloration to that of the southeastern strain but not the size. Still noticeably larger than the grays.

BTW squirrel gumbo is mighty fine too. Pan fry the parts then debone. Then add it to whatever your version of gumbo is. Just don’t forget the filet seasoning (powdered sassafras). Spoon it over some Zatarains white rice and break out a bottle of good red. Don’t forget the hot sauce. UmmmUmmmUm
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21

The big town over west has some squirrels.

They wont even let you get after them with a sling shot. They would rather you took your commodity cheese and went home.

Lotta places up in E WA where I used to live that were the same way. They never made it down to where I lived, had they I think a nice quite trap or 6 might have made for a fine dinner.
Posted By: ERK Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
You guys in Minnesota should tell the Hmong that blacks taste like squirrels. Save the squirrels and get rid of some Lee he’s. Edk
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
We’re covered up with greys and fox squirrels

Right now the ground is covered like ball bearings with gazillions of acorns.

Holding off till after deer
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
My Dad grew up poor…real poor. I remember bringing home 5 or 6 fatties to fry and simmer. He told me he’d eaten so many just tryin to survive the late 30’s that he’d just soon eat an alleycat!
Posted By: skeen Re: Hunting almost cheating. - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

I knew a guy that made squirrel brains and eggs . I tried it once but not on my list of favorites .

That was a thang in Virginny back in the day. My g'ma could fry squirrel, any way it could be fried.

There was a campfire thread a few years back on squirrel brain and scrambled eggs.

That's some good hillbilly eatin.'
Me and the kids get after em pretty good. Likely start hunting them this weekend. My youngest is pretty wicked with a .22.
© 24hourcampfire