Home
Posted By: Whelenman Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
I’m thinking I’m going to have to get it done. What are your experiences with it. I’m sorry to say but I am a wuss , when it comes to getting under the knife.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
I am thankful modern medicine can cure the ills that it does.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Going on 12 years with both hips replaced, if I had know how well things would go I would have it done a year earlier. I had both hips replaced the same day, took the surgeon 1 1/2 hrs., modern anesthesia takes care of the pain. I didn't finish all the pain meds they sent me home from the hospital with. My wife had one hip replaced this January, I was amazed at how surgical techniques had advanced. She recovered quickly and is doing very well.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I’m thinking I’m going to have to get it done. What are your experiences with it.

Nothing but positive, had my left done in March.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
My best bud's wife had one done and she is motoring pretty darn good.

She has been doing more walking and general movement than she has for years.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
A friend had it done. He said best money he ever spent. His mobility was immensely improved. I hear the pain is much less than knee replacement.
Good luck .
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
I’m thinking I’m going to have to get it done. What are your experiences with it. I’m sorry to say but I am a wuss , when it comes to getting under the knife.

I don't know bud, you know what they do with lame horses...🤔🙄

And by the way, just for you...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don’t know your med center or ortho doc, but briefly, there are two general surgical approaches — an anterior approach or the more traditional lateral approach. The first has some decided advantages like less cutting of muscle, blood loss, pain, and post op chance of dislocation. These are very general comments and there may be circumstances (like your surgeon doesn’t do it) that mitigate those; if so, all is not lost, but at least ask about it.

Generally, not a long surgery, and also not one with a lot of post-op pain. But when they get you up a few hours later, walk, walk, and walk some more. The more you walk, the betta…

Oh yeah, I always tell patients to ask for an upper body (for this surgery) warmer during surgery.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don’t know your med center or ortho doc, but briefly, there are two general surgical approaches — an anterior approach or the more traditional lateral approach. The first has some decided advantages like less cutting of muscle, blood loss, pain, and post op chance of dislocation. These are very general comments and there may be circumstances (like your surgeon doesn’t do it) that mitigate those; if so, all is not lost, but at least ask about it.

Generally, not a long surgery, and also not one with a lot of post-op pain. But when they get you up a few hours later, walk, walk, and walk some more. The more you walk, the betta…

Oh yeah, I always tell patients to ask for an upper body (for this surgery) warmer during surgery.

I would add see if you can get a cooling device that circulates cold water around the wound in addition to the ice. My dr ordered one and my insurance originally said they wouldn’t pay for it. Never got a bill and it made recovery easier. I had anterior and was driving in 2 weeks. My brother in law had robotic surgery and went to work (office) after a week.

My doctor didn’t believe in much therapy, refuse to do anything that causes pain. He claimed walking is the best way to recover. Any questions send me a message. Been 10 months and it feels great.

Good luck and get off the pain pills as soon as you can.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Suck it up buttercup!!

I can come over and take you for a walk a couple times a day if you want.........

Seriously, get it done, you will have some pain but you know it'll end soon, the way you're going you'll always have pain. I hope you fare well buddy.
Posted By: papat Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Had left one done 2 months ago. Getting around well. Much different experience than the right one 6 years ago. Pain was controlled much better this time. Was home the next day. Threw walker away in 5 days. Was supposed to use it 2 weeks. By 2 weeks was doing well in house without cane. Had opiods but only took 2. The high power ibuprofin did just fine. By 3 weeks done with pain meds. Stay steady. Don't fall down. Walk as much as you can when you get steady.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21

Have you considered one of the PRP variety of injections?
I know someone who does them that will answer your question for a free consultation. Just PM. I make no commission, just offering a possible option that would be much lower risk.

Another option is nutritional supplementation and nutrition.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
My wife had her right hip replaced a year ago Oct 5. For the first time in several years she can walk (or even sleep) pain free.

Her rehab was a little tough because she waited a couple years too long to get the surgery. She had been unable to walk more than a few steps for almost two years and had suffered severe muscular atrophy.

If your surgeon does not use the anterior approach, I would find another surgeon who does.

Best of luck on your surgery and coming rehab. It will hurt for a while. But in the end, you will gain much increased mobility.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
It sucks but well worth it. They will have you up and walking the next day! Do your PT! You'll be happy after its done.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
My wife had both hips done 10 -12 years ago. Hips are the easiest before knees and then shoulder. She had very little pain.It is not the replacement, it's the other risk associated with it.They cracked her femur when diving in the spike and she was on crutches for 6 weeks after the surgery.A friend of mine has had all kind of trouble with his hip replacement.The Docs took the 1st one out and redid it.He still isn't right.I had a shoulder replaced that still isn't right.Now the doc wants to go in and add a spacer. Bull crap on that. They did a nerve block in my neck for it and put too much in. It paralyzed the right side of my diaphragm.Almost died from it and spent 22 hours in the ER and another day in the Cardiac Observation ward until everything stabilized.

Try every available option before surgery. Don't do it unless absolutely required
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I don't know bud, you know what they do with lame horses...🤔🙄

And by the way, just for you...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😄😄😄😄🤪🤪🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Have you considered one of the PRP variety of injections?
I know someone who does them that will answer your question for a free consultation. Just PM. I make no commission, just offering a possible option that would be much lower risk.

Another option is nutritional supplementation and nutrition.

The hip is a ball and socket. When the socket gets worn there is play. No supplement or shot is going to make up for the wear. If you have been examined by a competent orthopedic surgeon and as you lay on the examination table, feel the leg moving in the joint get the replacement. Your X-ray will show the damage as well. All you do by postponing the surgery is place stress on the good hip and knees. Now read that again.

Do what they tell you and it’s a cakewalk. The big worry is post operative infection. The hospital here in Connecticut only has orthopedic patients in it. Most procedures are home the same day. Don’t put it off, the pain only gets worse.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Had mine done 3 years ago. Anterior method, up and walking same day uncomfortable 2 days because i did not use any pain killers.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Had mine done 3 years ago. Anterior method, up and walking same day uncomfortable 2 days because i did not use any pain killers.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Roughly speaking How long does it take to be 100% ? My left hip needs replacing
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
I had the right hip done some years back. Recovery was straightforward, and the results, while not perfect, sure beat the snot of how things were before I had it done. I was back driving my truck and taking hikes within a month.
Posted By: MIsportsman Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
I had my left hip replaced 3 years ago (posterior), out patient. I was home by noon. Used a walker for one day, then started using a cane the following day. This December 6th, I’m having the exact same procedure done for my right hip.
I was probably 90% when I went back to work 12 weeks later, but I have a physically demanding job.
I think you’ll be surprised just how quick you heal.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Hip replacement? - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by Mac84

Had mine done March 17th, walking without any aid 7 days later. I was pretty much good to go by August. The mental aspect of it is gone also, I don’t even think about it anymore.
Originally Posted by Mac84

I had my right done in March of ‘18 and had an elk hunt already scheduled for that coming October with a lot of time to be on horseback. While I had no pain, it was more of a feeling of insecurity, especially on slopes where I struggled a bit, especially with the wet snow.

I ended up taking a young 6x6 but certainly wasn’t 100% for that level of activity. However, there is a lot of individual variation in recovery and what a person may feel they are up to.
© 24hourcampfire