Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’m thinking I’m going to have to get it done. What are your experiences with it. I’m sorry to say but I am a wuss , when it comes to getting under the knife.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am thankful modern medicine can cure the ills that it does.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Going on 12 years with both hips replaced, if I had know how well things would go I would have it done a year earlier. I had both hips replaced the same day, took the surgeon 1 1/2 hrs., modern anesthesia takes care of the pain. I didn't finish all the pain meds they sent me home from the hospital with. My wife had one hip replaced this January, I was amazed at how surgical techniques had advanced. She recovered quickly and is doing very well.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I’m thinking I’m going to have to get it done. What are your experiences with it.

Nothing but positive, had my left done in March.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My best bud's wife had one done and she is motoring pretty darn good.

She has been doing more walking and general movement than she has for years.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
A friend had it done. He said best money he ever spent. His mobility was immensely improved. I hear the pain is much less than knee replacement.
Good luck .

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m thinking I’m going to have to get it done. What are your experiences with it. I’m sorry to say but I am a wuss , when it comes to getting under the knife.

I don't know bud, you know what they do with lame horses...🤔🙄

And by the way, just for you...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don’t know your med center or ortho doc, but briefly, there are two general surgical approaches — an anterior approach or the more traditional lateral approach. The first has some decided advantages like less cutting of muscle, blood loss, pain, and post op chance of dislocation. These are very general comments and there may be circumstances (like your surgeon doesn’t do it) that mitigate those; if so, all is not lost, but at least ask about it.

Generally, not a long surgery, and also not one with a lot of post-op pain. But when they get you up a few hours later, walk, walk, and walk some more. The more you walk, the betta…

Oh yeah, I always tell patients to ask for an upper body (for this surgery) warmer during surgery.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don’t know your med center or ortho doc, but briefly, there are two general surgical approaches — an anterior approach or the more traditional lateral approach. The first has some decided advantages like less cutting of muscle, blood loss, pain, and post op chance of dislocation. These are very general comments and there may be circumstances (like your surgeon doesn’t do it) that mitigate those; if so, all is not lost, but at least ask about it.

Generally, not a long surgery, and also not one with a lot of post-op pain. But when they get you up a few hours later, walk, walk, and walk some more. The more you walk, the betta…

Oh yeah, I always tell patients to ask for an upper body (for this surgery) warmer during surgery.

I would add see if you can get a cooling device that circulates cold water around the wound in addition to the ice. My dr ordered one and my insurance originally said they wouldn’t pay for it. Never got a bill and it made recovery easier. I had anterior and was driving in 2 weeks. My brother in law had robotic surgery and went to work (office) after a week.

My doctor didn’t believe in much therapy, refuse to do anything that causes pain. He claimed walking is the best way to recover. Any questions send me a message. Been 10 months and it feels great.

Good luck and get off the pain pills as soon as you can.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Suck it up buttercup!!

I can come over and take you for a walk a couple times a day if you want.........

Seriously, get it done, you will have some pain but you know it'll end soon, the way you're going you'll always have pain. I hope you fare well buddy.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Had left one done 2 months ago. Getting around well. Much different experience than the right one 6 years ago. Pain was controlled much better this time. Was home the next day. Threw walker away in 5 days. Was supposed to use it 2 weeks. By 2 weeks was doing well in house without cane. Had opiods but only took 2. The high power ibuprofin did just fine. By 3 weeks done with pain meds. Stay steady. Don't fall down. Walk as much as you can when you get steady.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have you considered one of the PRP variety of injections?
I know someone who does them that will answer your question for a free consultation. Just PM. I make no commission, just offering a possible option that would be much lower risk.

Another option is nutritional supplementation and nutrition.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My wife had her right hip replaced a year ago Oct 5. For the first time in several years she can walk (or even sleep) pain free.

Her rehab was a little tough because she waited a couple years too long to get the surgery. She had been unable to walk more than a few steps for almost two years and had suffered severe muscular atrophy.

If your surgeon does not use the anterior approach, I would find another surgeon who does.

Best of luck on your surgery and coming rehab. It will hurt for a while. But in the end, you will gain much increased mobility.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sucks but well worth it. They will have you up and walking the next day! Do your PT! You'll be happy after its done.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My wife had both hips done 10 -12 years ago. Hips are the easiest before knees and then shoulder. She had very little pain.It is not the replacement, it's the other risk associated with it.They cracked her femur when diving in the spike and she was on crutches for 6 weeks after the surgery.A friend of mine has had all kind of trouble with his hip replacement.The Docs took the 1st one out and redid it.He still isn't right.I had a shoulder replaced that still isn't right.Now the doc wants to go in and add a spacer. Bull crap on that. They did a nerve block in my neck for it and put too much in. It paralyzed the right side of my diaphragm.Almost died from it and spent 22 hours in the ER and another day in the Cardiac Observation ward until everything stabilized.

Try every available option before surgery. Don't do it unless absolutely required

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I don't know bud, you know what they do with lame horses...🤔🙄

And by the way, just for you...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😄😄😄😄🤪🤪🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Have you considered one of the PRP variety of injections?
I know someone who does them that will answer your question for a free consultation. Just PM. I make no commission, just offering a possible option that would be much lower risk.

Another option is nutritional supplementation and nutrition.

The hip is a ball and socket. When the socket gets worn there is play. No supplement or shot is going to make up for the wear. If you have been examined by a competent orthopedic surgeon and as you lay on the examination table, feel the leg moving in the joint get the replacement. Your X-ray will show the damage as well. All you do by postponing the surgery is place stress on the good hip and knees. Now read that again.

Do what they tell you and it’s a cakewalk. The big worry is post operative infection. The hospital here in Connecticut only has orthopedic patients in it. Most procedures are home the same day. Don’t put it off, the pain only gets worse.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had mine done 3 years ago. Anterior method, up and walking same day uncomfortable 2 days because i did not use any pain killers.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had mine done 3 years ago. Anterior method, up and walking same day uncomfortable 2 days because i did not use any pain killers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roughly speaking How long does it take to be 100% ? My left hip needs replacing

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.