Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
https://www.jacksonville.com/story/...buse-student-darnell-cookman/6201621001/

just what was she thinking?
A Duval Schools English teacher who was just named Teacher of the Year at Darnell-Cookman Middle/High has been charged with a count of child abuse against a student at the school.

Caroline Melanie Lee, 60, was arrested Friday.

The arrest came after a student said Lee called her into her classroom to speak privately and allegedly struck her on the face causing a bloody nose, according to a Duval Schools Police report.
Posted By: deflave Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
You know that attitude flight attendants have since 9/11?

That’s how teachers are since the Bologna Virus.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Soo I'm guessing that student is a no for Teacher of the Year.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
If she's black, and the child white, she'll get hero status.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
What caused the reaction? Disrespect? Mouthing off? Mayhap the kid earned it maybe not.. i know theres many here whos gonna say if my child had gotten slapped Id have... but somtimes thats exactly the teaching method thats needed. Somtimes not...in elementary we had a principle who would flat out put knots on your head..an we had respect for him even after we graduated high school.. need more like him
Posted By: efw Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Slapped the disrespect right outta that little biotch!

Served her right…
Posted By: g5m Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by hosfly
What caused the reaction? Disrespect? Mouthing off? Mayhap the kid earned it maybe not.. i know theres many here whos gonna say if my child had gotten slapped Id have... but somtimes thats exactly the teaching method thats needed. Somtimes not...in elementary we had a principle who would flat out put knots on your head..an we had respect for him even after we graduated high school.. need more like him

Good teachers that I have known have been lost to the system and quit their jobs because they weren't even allowed to control the little darlings in the classroom. Parents weren't doing their own jobs and leaving a mess for others to take care of then bitching and threatening when the others tried to do that job.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
You smack my kid it's your ass.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by g5m

Good teachers that I have known have been lost to the system and quit their jobs because they weren't even allowed to control the little darlings in the classroom. Parents weren't doing their own jobs and leaving a mess for others to take care of then bitching and threatening when the others tried to do that job.

This, in spades (no pun intended). Well, maybe sort of intended.

The key word in the OP's blurb is "allegedly".
Posted By: hosfly Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by g5m

agree 100%. If they are so disrespctful that they need smacked usually the parent has let the kid down an needs a smack too
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
According to the news story.....

The kid was not that teacher’s student this year, the teacher says the kid had previously sent veiled death threats on Instagram.

“Of Mice and Men” taught in class? OK prob’ly in an advanced upper-level course, not likely a class filled with dysfunctional kids. Teacher of the Year? OK so the teacher prob’ly ain’t a slug either.

There’s a backstory not being told here, the animosity between the teacher and the kid sounds personal and longstanding.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

My Dad's philosophy but maybe if Dad had smacked that kid first the teacher wouldn't have had to.

Now if a teacher smacked me and and Dad found out... ( I probably would never have told him) .then went up to confront the teacher and was told I had made death threats....the teacher is probably not the one going to get smacked by Dad.

Some kids ....ain't kids either.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

Jim, I don't know you and have never met you or your kids. From what I have seen here on the Campfire, I can't imagine one of your kids ever doing anything that would deserve that kind of treatment so I can relate to your position. Your kids appear to have been blessed with exceptional parents.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
[Linked Image from static.independent.co.uk]

LMAO
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Whatever the merits of either side in this case, in the end the kid has won.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Alot of kids and parents need a good slap! Kids these days can make adult decisions with no adult responsibility or accountability for their actions or words. After they get their arse handed to them, then they claim to be a victim.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

The teaching profession is no different than any other profession -- lot of inner politics and secrets.

Same for teachers --- some are excellent, some good, some so-so, some subpar, some real losers and a few are total nut cases.

Son had a teacher in elementary school that was borderline psycho. Middle aged divorced woman, nothing special going for her in looks or figure, no children of her own, stated she never wanted kids herself or even liked them and wished she had never become a school teacher. Said she had accumulated too many years of tenure already to give up teaching now so she had to stick it out until she could retire.

She ran with a group of mostly other teachers and they often partied hard on weekends, usually in towns away from home turf where they were less likely of being recognized so they could really 'let it all hang out'. She was known to come to work on Monday mornings after a weekend of hard partying all hungover and in a foul mood . More than once she went into rages at the slightest perceived provocation and commence to cussing and flipping student's desks over. She had numerous complaints against her on her record but she had enough dirt on other educators who ran with her crowd, including some in high levels, who always covered up her transgressions. The school principal was one. The principal also a divorced, childless, middle-aged female, had an ongoing affair with a married male principal at a elementary school in a nearby town.

For some unknown reason she had a grudge against our son who was around 11 - 12 at the time and really started to focus her rages on him specifically. Her and her partner in sin, the principal, were accusing son of things he adamantly denied and were both at the same time double-teaming 'counseling' him privately, without our knowledge or permission, trying to get him to admit to what they wanted him to. He was literally terrified no one would believe him...

We finally just transferred son to another school in an adjacent county where he excelled making the honor roll repeatedly, winning awards and was highly praised by teachers.

Psycho teacher made it to retirement age and did so. Principal was later promoted to a office on county board of education at a 6 figure salary.

Posted By: hanco Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Her job is gone even if she didn’t do it.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
False flag operation. That old woman looks like she could hardly crack an egg.

As far as smacking kids goes, If I'd been smacked - and deserved it - my dad would have come down on me with both boots. There were no excuses in my upbringing for me to be a little prick; though me and my buddies still were, especially in jr high!
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Sounds like the snitching crybaby needed a smack.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
During my school days discipline was dispensed with the application of wood.

[Linked Image from cdispatch.com]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by sawbuck
[Linked Image from static.independent.co.uk]

LMAO

Woody Allen?
Probably got a hell of a left hook by the look of her.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I can't believe you guys tolerated that schit.

When did they stop spanking your little hineys?
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

Yup.

But my kids would never have mouthed off. They were taught at home. Corporal punishment was still a thing when I was in grade school. But was never a blow to the face.

I’m going to reserve judgement. We are asking teachers (good teachers, REAL teachers) to do an almost impossible job. I couldn’t do it. I toyed with the idea of being a substitute after I retired to teach history at HS level to try and balance out the bs out there. But after listening to the stories from a bud that had the same idea I’m out. And that’s here in NW MT. Can’t imagine what it’d be like in other places.
Last time I got smacked was in my senior year, 1966. Dunno about what happened after that, was too busy killin' Commies to stay up to date.

Had my butt paddled in the early 80s several times with one of those.

I didnt wanna tell mom, she’d have beat me with Dr Shoal’s wooden clogg shoe
Last time I got smacked was in my senior year, 1966. Dunno about what happened after that, was too busy killin' Commies to stay up to date.

Who hit you in 66?

Give me a name!
Originally Posted by slumlord

Had my butt paddled in the early 80s several times with one of those.

I didnt wanna tell mom, she’d have beat me with Dr Shoal’s wooden clogg shoe

Wouldn't you have been in your late teens?

Who hit you in 66?

Give me a name!

Why? He been gone for quite a few years. And I deserved it.

FWIW, his first name was Curt.
Posted By: colodog Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
The "board of education was applied to the "seat of the problem" a couple times when I was in grade school but I was never struck in the face.

Students aren't anywhere near the same level of discipline, respect for authority or self control that was common with previous generations....

I understand the frustration a teacher can have but smack a kid and bloody a nose, you're done.

Who hit you in 66?

Give me a name!

Sounds like a U boat captain.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

Yup. My kid lips off you call me and I’ll smack his ass.

You don’t touch my kid.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

Newsflash,....assault is illegal. Sheesh.
Originally Posted by tpcollins

You don’t touch my kid.

Some parents do take it too far however.

I remember a buddy got into a fender bender while driving his dad's pickup.

The cop taking the accident report actually had to stand between the kid and his father. He was upset!

I beat that kids dad in arm wrestling when I was 15.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by tpcollins

You don’t touch my kid.

I posted the same a while back on a different kid gets beat thread.

A number here proceeded to tell my that my attitude is the problem with school kids now days.

LMAO.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
That was called the Board of Education my principal had hanging on his wall in my grade school in the 50's.
I never had it used on me, but I knew guys that had it used on them. I learned from them, not to act like them---and I didn't.
If I got in trouble at school, my old man would have made sure I paid for it at home that evening.
My wife recently retired from teaching, and she knew she would have lost her job for hitting any kid. But if she could have, she would have gladly punched one of the parents if she thought it would do any good.
The quality of the parents has gone downhill since when she started teaching in the 80's You should see the [bleep] that some of the mothers say about the teachers on Face book!
I am sure there are some bad teachers in every school system, but the students don't get touched in any of the schools I know of.
I think we will never see any semblance of the old days as far as society has gone downhill morally.
Just my opinion,

Ken
Posted By: las Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

Doubt your kids need smacking - certainly not by anyone but you or your wife. If they do, you will handle it yourself, as did most of our parents with us.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
I got whacked twice in school.
Neither time was it justified.

Once was due to some chairs getting superglued to the floor.
Wasn't aware it had happened until I was called to the office.
Assistant principal was standing there holding a floor tile with a hole on it.

Took three whacks for that.
Never did know who had done it.

Same teacher who had accused me of that caught me in the school parking lot as I was leaving to go to work one afternoon.
I lit a cigarette with my car door opened, I was letting some Florida heat out of the car.
Closed the door moments later, as I was dropping it into gear the teacher came running up beatting on my window.

Rules stated my car doors had to be closed to smoke.

Got three more whacks for that, the whacks were meaningless, not even painful but their BS caused me to be late for my after school job.
I was in good standings at work so it was OK but the schools schit really grinded on me.

Probably a good thing it's no longer allowed.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

Growing up in Jr High,

Assistant principal had one similar to that.

Except is was all dolled up with wood burnings and engravings from a suckass in shop class.

Regular students had a choice, suspension or a paddlin.

Athletes didn’t. You got your ass whooped.

Always in gym shorts. 😂🤣
Posted By: joken2 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21

I attended inner city public schools in Chicago from the mid '50s through mid '60s and know for a fact that there was much of the same issues as now happening there back then and I imagine it was the same at schools in other large cities, as well. Some of the bloodiest fights I've ever seen happened inside school, on school grounds, and less than a block of school grounds. Students using alcohol, marijuana and pills of all kinds was already common and LSD was just starting to become a 'in thing'. Surprise police drug raids were not uncommon at popular restaurants close to school where students congregated to eat lunch. We had a uniformed Chicago city policeman with all the official police turnout equipment -- revolver, handcuffs, nightstick, etc., assigned full time to patrol on foot the high school halls and grounds I attend.
Everyone with a Members Only jacket should have gotten a beating
Posted By: outahere Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
The nun's in my gradeschool would still be doing time!

Who hit you in 66?

Give me a name!

He was the football coach of a championship team.....and a geometry teacher.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by deflave
You know that attitude flight attendants have since 9/11?

That’s how teachers are since the Bologna Virus.

That’s a very astute comparison and one that I completely agree with.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21

Who hit you in 66?

Give me a name!

He was the football coach of a championship team.....and a geometry teacher.

My geometry teacher used to lock me in a closet.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21

Yep but you had your choices. Take your licks or get expelled.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
We don't yet know what precipitated the slap. It was likely well-deserved.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
What the fugg kind of adult wants to confront a minor about an Instagram post?

Were they both hot for the same juvenile male?
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Words don’t constitute a fight. If she’s did slap the kid for whatever reason she’s going to have a big problem.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
During my Freshman summer I discovered the power that Mom's of teenaged danceline daughters have. My band nerd self got to instruct these young ladies in how to march.Naturally the assistant football coaches and stooges would catcall it was all fun and games til the first bottom slapping "In fun relax" A well placed elbow ruins all the fun. It was kinda nice to go from band nerd to full fleged cool degenerate.
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
In my small, rural town we've got a raging covtard lib teacher that needs to go. Goes out of her way to punish the conservative kids, mine included. I'm doing everything in my power to voice my opinion. Both of my kids get A's and B's but not in her class. Flips her lid when my kids wear Trump apparel but doesn't say a word about BLM stuff. She's such a hypocrite. Told my kids if they get kicked out of her class that I want the principal to call me. They have told the principal that and it's gotten a little better but she definitely grades way harder on them.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Words don’t constitute a fight. If she’s did slap the kid for whatever reason she’s going to have a big problem.

The kid may have gotten lippy.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
In my small, rural town we've got a raging covtard lib teacher that needs to go. Goes out of her way to punish the conservative kids, mine included. I'm doing everything in my power to voice my opinion. Both of my kids get A's and B's but not in her class. Flips her lid when my kids wear Trump apparel but doesn't say a word about BLM stuff. She's such a hypocrite. Told my kids if they get kicked out of her class that I want the principal to call me. They have told the principal that and it's gotten a little better but she definitely grades way harder on them.

Make her life harder if she wants to be a petty c.unt.

Any assignments and projects you feel were graded less than fairly request a full rubric laying out grading criteria with written explanations justifying score received. CC principal and board president. She'll soon tire of the extra work or be exposed.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
My high school math teacher did it right. He said if we finished tomorrow's homework in class we could go to the back and play checkers. We all did our homework while he was teaching the lesson. After the teaching part it was checkers game on. Even he played.

I kinda did the same thing as a cub scout webelos leader. We were supposed to have an hour lesson/activity each week. But 10-11 year old boys get bored after awhile. So my deal was properly participate for a half hour, then we will play flag football in the park for the last half hour.

Yeah, schools nowadays can be problematic. I know, my wife teaches high school and intermediate school. Enabled kids, administrators doing the cya and not backing the teachers, etc.
Posted By: mathman Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
That doesn't sound like a very demanding math class.
Originally Posted by mathman
That doesn't sound like a very demanding math class.

Not everyone in the class got their work done in class, there was a small group of us, most ranked grades-wise in the top 10 out of a class of a little over 600. I was one of those, but couldn't do the work now. If you don't use it you forget it, and that was 50 years ago. We used slide rules and tables in the back of the math books for certain calculations.

Whether it was demanding or not I have no comparison. I do know that college math was certainly a challenge for me!

In my profession we used both qualitative and qualitative analysis to help reach conclusions and make recommendations. Our office had a PhD methodologist to help guide and review our work. I found that aspect fascinating, i.e. determining causation and the use of statistics in our work.

No, I am not a math expert, far from it. I was more the big picture guy at work, and very fortunate to have highly knowledgeable educated and real world experienced team members to keep me out trouble!

Yeah, a long response for a short comment, but an old man likes to sometimes reminisce about the good old days at work.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21

You're an idiot if you think a face slap is a form of discipline from a teacher. Paddling, detention, lines, etc., are forms of discipline, but not a slap to the face.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
I graduated high school in early 1980's and grade school was in the mid to late 1970's. After kinder garden I attended Catholic schools with many but not all of the teachers being nuns. I received my fair share of discipline in school and for me it was a non issue, my biggest fear was my parents finding out about it and the discipline my father would dispense at home. That was the big motivation to behave and follow rules. As regards to a face slap, it happed more than once at school. It was a different world back then.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
My seventh grade home room teacher (1972 ish) was Mr. Davidson. He was one of many WWII vets who through the GI bill became teachers. We would stand for the national anthem when the announcement came over the intercom. One kid Jeff, decided he wasn’t going to stand and instead laid across a couple chairs. Mr. D came over and kicked his legs, told him in the war if a guy did that he would have shot him. No one saw a thing.
Originally Posted by Strider1
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

LOL! Competition could be intense.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
I still remember where the paddle was proudly displayed in the Coaches/PE teachers office in JR HS. Don't think it was ever used in my time. Trophy of an earlier time and psychological threat by the late 70's.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
Had to take the ol lady's car in for service, so went in the school to her classroom ( to fetch her keys ).

There she is, w some monster sized kid standing over her yelling threats.

I knocked on the door hard and she came and unlocked. Kid still standing. Went in and told him to shut up and sit down. He did, but mouthed off that I couldnt talk to him that way.

Reminded him I didnt work for the school and we could further discuss this in the parking lot.....any time.

My ol lady said he was never a problem in class again. Said he thought I was gonna kill him LOL
Posted By: hookeye Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
The schoola usually put disruptive kids in a special class.
Theyre almost always behind and have to salvage some minimal gpa.

Schools wont kick em out.

So somebody usually ends up w a room full of [bleep].

Another form of protected people.

My ol lady as well as a bunch of others, quit teaching.
Kids and their parents arent worth a damn any more and other teachers/ admins are liberal and or psycho.

Not safe.
Posted By: brownpapabear Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt

If she's black and the kid is white - it won't make it to the news.
Posted By: ribka Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/09/21
Originally Posted by outahere
The nun's in my gradeschool would still be doing time!

https://www.npr.org/sections/insurr...officer-injured-during-attack-on-capitol
Posted By: Tigerluty Re: Teacher of the Year - 11/09/21
Not after me reading all that happened, what would you rather the teacher do?
© 24hourcampfire