Home
Posted By: Judman Bob Milek shootin range… - 11/06/21
As a kid growing up in the 80’s waitin like a kid at Christmas morning, for my old mans “Peterson Hunting “ magazine, I was enomoured with the likes of Milek, Gresham, wooters, townsley; seyfried,barsness,haviland,, coogan,sundra, Robb, damn the list goes on and on. Anyhow, on a recent antelope hunt, passed Bobs range on the way home. Pretty cool deal, for a honorable man. Get the chance swing by and pay your respects.
Posted By: 79S Re: Bob Milek shootin range… - 11/06/21
I loved his articles on the 243 winchester. He also wrote the article for the 700 classic in the newly standardized 35 whelen. Boy I wanted one so bad, couple yrs later I ended up with one. Shot my first deer with it. Man I need to find me a classic in a 35 whelen now smile. Thats wen guns and ammo was a worth a chit.
Posted By: Judman Re: Bob Milek shootin range… - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by 79S
I loved his articles on the 243 winchester. He also wrote the article for the 700 classic in the newly standardized 35 whelen. Boy I wanted one so bad, couple yrs later I ended up with one. Shot my first deer with it. Man I need to find me a classic in a 35 whelen now smile. Thats wen guns and ammo was a worth a chit.

Yep. The www ruined shiit….
XP 100 daddy
Originally Posted by Judman
XP 100 daddy

Yep remember those articles as well. Those xp100 are worth some serous coin now.
If I remember right he was real big n the qtr bores particularly the 25-06 and 257 roberts.
Yep
Originally Posted by 79S

I passed up a .35 Whelen 700 classic at a gun show in Ft Collins in the 1990's. Wanted it bad, but wanted to pay to pay the rent worse! Must have made an impression, I still remember it!
I couldn't find a Whelen so I built one on a Mauser action. Fajen stock, low mount swing safety, douglas barrel and had a smith weld a checkered bolt handle to look just like a 700. I must of talked too much about the "35 Whelen", because right after I finished the project my wife gave me a Ruger Hawkeye chambered for it. I didn't have the heart to tell her I had one already, she was so proud that she had found and ordered one for me. I silently sold off my custom on the campfire and hunt with the Hawkeye. Thanks for the memories.
As a kid growing up in the 80’s waitin like a kid at Christmas morning, for my old mans “Peterson Hunting “ magazine, I was enomoured with the likes of Milek, Gresham, wooters, townsley; seyfried,barsness,haviland,, coogan,sundra, Robb, damn the list goes on and on. Anyhow, on a recent antelope hunt, passed Bobs range on the way home. Pretty cool deal, for a honorable man. Get the chance swing by and pay your respects.

Where is the range located?
I owned a 700 class. In 35 whelend back in 1991, used it to take my only Elk and mule deer, that rifle would shoot. But long gone .
When I first became interested in shooting, Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer.
Had a question on cleaning rifle techniques one time and thought”what the heck, I’ll use information and see if I can get Bob Mileks number and ask him”.
He answered my questions and we had a really nice conversation.
Always loved reading his articles in Peterens.
Originally Posted by 79S
If I remember right he was real big n the qtr bores particularly the 25-06 and 257 roberts.

.........If I were more computer savvy I could post a picture of me in Wyoming in 2003 with a nice antelope buck and holding a Ruger 77 in .25-06. That was one of my bucket list things was to tag an antelope in Wyoming using a .25-06. That was about 10 years after we lost Bob Milek . He was a big part of my inspiration for that, including caliber selection. I've only shot 3 antelope in my life, (so far), and every time afterward I recall looking up at the sky and thinking of Bob. Even after the one I got with a 300 WSM a few years later; and then I was wondering what he would have thought of that cartridge if he were still with us.
Originally Posted by 79S

I sold my 700 classic in .35 Whelen when I bought my model 70 in .375 H&H a few years ago.
Posted By: viking Re: Bob Milek shootin range… - 11/06/21
Those were the good old days.

Good stuff Jud. Would love to see that. You brought back some very fond memories for me as well.
Bob and Steve were the folks behind the 30 Herrett,300 Herrett and the .357 Herrett cartridges. Bob shot a lot of contenders as well as XP100's. They did a lot to promote handgun hunting.
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek shootin range… - 11/06/21

I was a fan of Bob’s writings, and was privileged to spend visit with him twice at his home! I’ve never shot at his range.....but, pass by it fairly often! memtb
Originally Posted by 3dtestify

Where is the range located?

Just outside of thermopalis, Wyoming
Originally Posted by 79S
XP 100 daddy

Yep remember those articles as well. Those xp100 are worth some serous coin now.

I have an early one.

It's pretty cool.
Was in Thermopolis last Fall - went to the hot springs. Thought about Bob while driving those endless high prairie roads. Great writer he was.
© 24hourcampfire