Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
As a kid growing up in the 80’s waitin like a kid at Christmas morning, for my old mans “Peterson Hunting “ magazine, I was enomoured with the likes of Milek, Gresham, wooters, townsley; seyfried,barsness,haviland,, coogan,sundra, Robb, damn the list goes on and on. Anyhow, on a recent antelope hunt, passed Bobs range on the way home. Pretty cool deal, for a honorable man. Get the chance swing by and pay your respects.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loved his articles on the 243 winchester. He also wrote the article for the 700 classic in the newly standardized 35 whelen. Boy I wanted one so bad, couple yrs later I ended up with one. Shot my first deer with it. Man I need to find me a classic in a 35 whelen now smile. Thats wen guns and ammo was a worth a chit.

Last edited by 79S; 11/05/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 79S
I loved his articles on the 243 winchester. He also wrote the article for the 700 classic in the newly standardized 35 whelen. Boy I wanted one so bad, couple yrs later I ended up with one. Shot my first deer with it. Man I need to find me a classic in a 35 whelen now smile. Thats wen guns and ammo was a worth a chit.

Yep. The www ruined shiit….

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
XP 100 daddy

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
XP 100 daddy

Yep remember those articles as well. Those xp100 are worth some serous coin now.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I remember right he was real big n the qtr bores particularly the 25-06 and 257 roberts.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I passed up a .35 Whelen 700 classic at a gun show in Ft Collins in the 1990's. Wanted it bad, but wanted to pay to pay the rent worse! Must have made an impression, I still remember it!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't find a Whelen so I built one on a Mauser action. Fajen stock, low mount swing safety, douglas barrel and had a smith weld a checkered bolt handle to look just like a 700. I must of talked too much about the "35 Whelen", because right after I finished the project my wife gave me a Ruger Hawkeye chambered for it. I didn't have the heart to tell her I had one already, she was so proud that she had found and ordered one for me. I silently sold off my custom on the campfire and hunt with the Hawkeye. Thanks for the memories.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
As a kid growing up in the 80’s waitin like a kid at Christmas morning, for my old mans “Peterson Hunting “ magazine, I was enomoured with the likes of Milek, Gresham, wooters, townsley; seyfried,barsness,haviland,, coogan,sundra, Robb, damn the list goes on and on. Anyhow, on a recent antelope hunt, passed Bobs range on the way home. Pretty cool deal, for a honorable man. Get the chance swing by and pay your respects.

Where is the range located?

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I owned a 700 class. In 35 whelend back in 1991, used it to take my only Elk and mule deer, that rifle would shoot. But long gone .

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
When I first became interested in shooting, Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had a question on cleaning rifle techniques one time and thought”what the heck, I’ll use information and see if I can get Bob Mileks number and ask him”.
He answered my questions and we had a really nice conversation.
Always loved reading his articles in Peterens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
If I remember right he was real big n the qtr bores particularly the 25-06 and 257 roberts.

.........If I were more computer savvy I could post a picture of me in Wyoming in 2003 with a nice antelope buck and holding a Ruger 77 in .25-06. That was one of my bucket list things was to tag an antelope in Wyoming using a .25-06. That was about 10 years after we lost Bob Milek . He was a big part of my inspiration for that, including caliber selection. I've only shot 3 antelope in my life, (so far), and every time afterward I recall looking up at the sky and thinking of Bob. Even after the one I got with a 300 WSM a few years later; and then I was wondering what he would have thought of that cartridge if he were still with us.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 79S

I sold my 700 classic in .35 Whelen when I bought my model 70 in .375 H&H a few years ago.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Those were the good old days.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Good stuff Jud. Would love to see that. You brought back some very fond memories for me as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Bob and Steve were the folks behind the 30 Herrett,300 Herrett and the .357 Herrett cartridges. Bob shot a lot of contenders as well as XP100's. They did a lot to promote handgun hunting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

I was a fan of Bob’s writings, and was privileged to spend visit with him twice at his home! I’ve never shot at his range.....but, pass by it fairly often! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 3dtestify

Where is the range located?

Just outside of thermopalis, Wyoming

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.