Home
Posted By: Raeford Another plumbing/well question - 11/22/21
I've noticed our pressure tank/switch is kicking on/off constantly when any water is running.
It's in our basement where we spend much time in cold weather[why I'm noticing]
If showering or using water there is a noticeable pressure difference, surge of water then slows off a bit until the next surge.

Bad bladder?
If so, tank needs replaced?

Thanks
Either bad bladder or bad pressure switch...
Had our pressure tank replaced 6 months ago suspecting bad bladder. Plumber (private 1 man business we use) said “Yep” then another “Yep” when he pulled the old one. Next was the well pump because it had been running so much. And wasn’t much to begin with. Not a real bad hit to the wallet….compared to no water when you’re in the shower, face full of soap, headed to the switch box and pump breaker in a robe barefoot.
Yes, I feel that this needs fixed asap if the pump is switching on/off as often as the switch!
Raeford,

Just like the other thread with a well pump/flow issue I think your pressure tank has a bad bladder. Your description on how your pump kicks off and on constantly is exactly what happens when there is little to no air in the tank to compress allowing storage of enough water in the system to prevent the pump from coming on as you describe.

Originally Posted by Raeford
Yes, I feel that this needs fixed asap if the pump is switching on/off as often as the switch!

Letting it go very long puts your well pump at risk.

Thankfully we have a handy-man guy I use for these issues. He seems like a decent enough plumber. And when I call, he responds asap because I pay on the spot. And he charges me a decent amount and I don't fuss. That little higher rate is gladly paid so that when I need him he responds.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Raeford,

Just like the other thread with a well pump/flow issue I think your pressure tank has a bad bladder. Your description on how your pump kicks off and on constantly is exactly what happens when there is little to no air in the tank to compress allowing storage of enough water in the system to prevent the pump from coming on as you describe.

+1

smile
Classic pressure tank failure.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Check the air pressure in the tank.

Mine has a valve on top. It's 28 PSI.

Usually check and add air to the proper pressure a couple times a year.
you may just need to pressurize it. your pressure switch is set to turn on at a certain pressure and shut off at a certain (higher) pressure. theres lots of youtube vids on how to do this i'm sure. i've had to do this a few times. if it doesn't work then your pressure tank needs replaced.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I'll check it this evening.
Thanks
Same exact thing happened to us earlier this year and it was a bad bladder. The guy that installed the original one when our house was built retired but his son Bill Jr took over and installed our new one. He said 10 years is about the average lifespan for a pressure tank.

Good luck…the holidays are a crappy time for that to happen.
We're at 20 years with the tank, the original only lasted 2 years.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Same exact thing happened to us earlier this year and it was a bad bladder. The guy that installed the original one when our house was built retired but his son Bill Jr took over and installed our new one. He said 10 years is about the average lifespan for a pressure tank.

Good luck…the holidays are a crappy time for that to happen.
I'm up to 26 years now on my pressure tank. I've only had to add air a couple times in those years.
i'm at 10 years with my tank. first one lasted about 25 but needed recharged a lot. the one at my camp is 35 years old.

Thanks

The air pressure in the tank needs to be 2 p.s.i. lower than the pressure switch cutoff. The tank has to be empty of water to accurately adjust the air pressure. If you shut off the power to the pump and open a faucet or drain valve and there's still water in the tank after the line has drained, the bladder is waterlogged. You should replace the pressure switch when you replace the tank; they're cheap ($35-$40) but vital.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Thanks

The air pressure in the tank needs to be 2 p.s.i. lower than the pressure switch cutoff. The tank has to be empty of water to accurately adjust the air pressure. If you shut off the power to the pump and open a faucet or drain valve and there's still water in the tank after the line has drained, the bladder is waterlogged. You should replace the pressure switch when you replace the tank; they're cheap ($35-$40) but vital.

I'm a plumber and this is the right way.^^^
© 24hourcampfire