Home
In 8mm (7,9mm) Mauser.

[Linked Image]

I bought this rifle some thirty years ago, and have never shot it. It appeared to have never been shot since coming out of the Oberndorf factory in 1937, thus my hesitancy, but I decided to shoot it some.

[Linked Image]

The history of this rifle is interesting. It was actually made when Germany was severely restricted in the manufacture of arms for their military, i.e., under the terms of the Versailles Treaty. But they found a loophole allowing them to produce as many military arms at they liked, and that was to mark them as commercial rifles, i.e., leaving off all military markings. They were allowed to manufacture commercial arms, so they just made "commercial" arms that were identical in characteristics to military arms.

My specimen is, feature-wise, about halfway between what was a standard German military Mauser 98 in WWI and what would eventually become standard in WWII. Notice the carbine length, but the straight bolt handle, for example. Also, the rear sling swivel is under the butt stock, like in WWI, but during WWII they changed that to the side of the butt stock. There is also no provision for a front sight protector, which only became standard during WWII. Another feature is the WWI style butt plate, whereas most WWII specimens (other than the very earliest) featured a steel butt cup, to better protect the wood during rough handling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I shot some military surplus 8mm from Greece, manufactured in 1940. In thirty rounds fired, I had one primer fail. Not bad for 80 year old ammo.

Here's a group from fifty yards. I think that's about 2.5 inches. As you can see, it was high and to the left.

[Linked Image]

I used a brass hammer to drift the front sight to the left. Little by little, I got it to where it was impacting directly over the red dot. Then I put the target out to 100 yards, where it was still centering perfectly, but was about four inches high (with the rear sight set at 100 yards - or is it meters?). Groups at 100 yards were about 4.5 inches.

I'm sure it's mechanically capable of much better, but the ammo was old (likely each round pushed bullets out at significantly different velocities), and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Still, better than typical AK-47 accuracy.

I bet with new quality ammo, and a scope, this rifle could make small groups at 100 yards. I'll get to work drilling and tapping for a scope mount next week - NOT.

Nice rifle.

That zero is about perfecto.
What a beauty.
that ammo is prolly corrosive, windex is your friend.

nice rifle though,
That is a good looking rifle, even in military configuration.

Iron sights are a challenge for tired old eyes, ain't they? Not that I know, but I've been told.
wink
Thats a nice Mauser!!!!!
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
that ammo is prolly corrosive, windex is your friend.

nice rifle though,

Yep, I cleaned it like it was a black powder rifle I just shot, i.e., with moose milk, which is mostly water, but partially Ballistol. The water component will flush out the salts, and the Ballistol will preserve the steel.
Looks great
Not entirely germane to the situation but here is my 6.5 Obern 1908

Fajen stock, barrel bobbed, cerokote

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's a beauty, TRH.

MM

This was one good day in the history of the Hawkeye.
That furniture has been well preserved over all of those years.
I saw a 24/48 (?) at Big 5 some years back still in csmoline but I didnt have 200. The bluing would gave made weatherby proud.

Nice find
That’s a dandy…and it took how long to shoot it? Shame on you..
Good looking rifle TRH.
Nice rifle.
You have a fine rifle TRH, as you well know. I can use the Mauser sights much easier than I can our Springfield. Paul Mauser was one of the most brilliant men I know of and even yet today his design is what others are compared to and copied.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

This was one good day in the history of the Hawkeye.
That furniture has been well preserved over all of those years.

Yes, this rifle has never seen military service. It has been well cared for since the day it left the factory.
Wunderbar!! Hubsch!!!

I love the Mausers and that is a beautiful Mauser. I bet that old Greek ammo is the problem, I bet you get some good ammo it will shoot 1 inch groups.
That rifle was invented in 1898 and even today when the SWAT team needs a really good rifle for one particular shot, where do they turn?

They turn to a Mauser, or a variation thereof. No substantial improvements since 1898.

I love the Mausers and I have 4 of them.
Nice that is. When are you going to get an old rifle?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Nice that is. When are you going to get an old rifle?

One with a flintlock action?
I said previously that I had the front sight protector, but I just realized that it never had one. The front sight protector I have fits my pre-64 Winchester 70.
Naw, it could be a caplock. My oldest was make circa 1870 in the style of Union sniper rifles, by a fella that made them. .50 caliber bullet gun with scope. Shoots pretty darn good. My most handsome relic is a flinter.
My other rifle is a 7x57 Mauser.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
My other rifle is a 7x57 Mauser.

I have one of them, too, and in equally nice condition. It's an FN made Venezuelan Mauser 98 made in the middle 1930s. Never shot that one, either. I have some 7mm Mauser ammo on order from Midway, but it's back ordered. Soon as I get it, I will shoot it. I've had that one for about 30 years, too. I have a really nice Swedish Mauser, in 6.5, also (shot that one quite a bit about twenty-five years ago). I used to have a factory new Persian Mauser, too, but an Iranian talked me out of it. He wanted it as a gift for his father, who served in the Iranian military under the Shah.
Fine rifle there, TRH!
Thanks, love it, the best. A much needed antidote to that biker picture!
Very nice rifle. Congrats! Also interesting are the Karabiner 98k rifles that were confiscated in Norway at the end of the war. They got new 30-calibre barrels for the 30-06, due to the longer cartridge compared to the 8mm Mauser the frontal part of the receiver got a milled notch so that the magazine could accommodate the cartridges by using the loading clip. The front sight was changed to a square instead of the roof profile and the rear sight got a U- instead of a V-notch.
The former "backbone of the Wehrmacht" is still in use the German army at their guard batallion but as a presentation rifle to parade in front of high ranking visitors from other countries. Unfortunately these rifles are not able to be fired anymore and the proof marks dating back to the time of the Nazis are polished.
Nice gun. Please picture or describe the receiver markings and barrel proofs. Also is this a 100% serial number matching gun?
Nice old 98. Let me add that the 8x57 responds well to handloading. Old, corrosive Mil-surp ammo doesn't really do much more than go Bang, usually. I've got a K-98 that was rebuilt & mostly scrubbed in Yugoslavia post WW2. Still in 8x57 with a mint barrel. Put good handloads in it and it's a whole new ball game. A fiber optic front sight sure helps old eyes. Few years ago I put a fiber optic front sight on that helps old eyes. Fits right into the front sight dovetail, no Bubba work involved. It's from Williams Gun Sight Co., Firesight #70940 for Mauser Model 98 Military. Don't know if they still offer them but if they are still available I'd recommend them.
Beautiful rifle, sir.
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Nice gun. Please picture or describe the receiver markings and barrel proofs. Also is this a 100% serial number matching gun?

Yes, it's an all original German Mauser.

Receiver Markings:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hawkeye;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the world and that you're well.

Thanks once again for posting the photos of your collection, I appreciate and enjoy it always even if I don't comment.

This time however, I had to for a couple of reasons, the first of which is that's about as fine an example as one could hope to find of a 98 in military dress.

The other is that my "walking around in the mountains" rifle is built on an action like your Mauser. It's only markings were the Mauser roll mark on the front receiver ring, aside from the serial numbers. There are no Waffenampts on it anywhere, unlike most of the other 98 actions I've built stuff on. I actually didn't twig on it until the gunsmith up the valley was installing the second barrel on it mentioned he'd seldom seen them in his over 50 years in the trade.

Somehow I didn't know the history of how the Germans were producing them, but it makes sense that they found a loophole.

When I traded a long passed on buddy for the action it was a bit of a basket case and if memory serves I gave a whopping $35 CDN for the action and bolt only, but admittedly that has to be 25 years ago.

Here's what mine looks like as of today, but as soon as late whitetail season is over it's getting the paint stripped and something a little more brown toned applied.

[Linked Image]

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of the 'Fire crew south of the medicine line.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

If it is, guarded well. Was at my local gun shop yesterday and they had bought a bunch of Mausers 92.95 & 98s but one was a very fine specimen 98K (1938) with no import marks. Are you sitting down? granted this store is ridiculously high as a matter of course but they wanted 4999 for it. Yes four THOUSAND. Can you 98 guys shed some light on collectible Mauser prices these days? They also had an all matching (except the magazine) Luger made in 1916 ( I suspect the grips were refinished but that's another story) for t3K. That seems hign but reasonable but are 98s that expensive now?

Curious - I would have thought the TN Hillbilly use of a bull bag would be opposite of what's pictured.

Originally Posted by slumlord

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Curious - I would have thought the TN Hillbilly use of a bull bag would be opposite of what's pictured.

Originally Posted by slumlord

[Linked Image]

Which one of us is using it "correctly?" LOL.

Used the other way, I was aimed too low. I could have put something under it, I guess.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

If it is, guarded well. Was at my local gun shop yesterday and they had bought a bunch of Mausers 92.95 & 98s but one was a very fine specimen 98K (1938) with no import marks. Are you sitting down? granted this store is ridiculously high as a matter of course but they wanted 4999 for it. Yes four THOUSAND. Can you 98 guys shed some light on collectible Mauser prices these days? They also had an all matching (except the magazine) Luger made in 1916 ( I suspect the grips were refinished but that's another story) for t3K. That seems hign but reasonable but are 98s that expensive now?

Thanks, Jorge. No import marks on it. Matching serial numbers. I don't believe I spent huge bucks on it back 30 years ago, as I don't recall it being a high dollar gun, particularly, but my memory could be faulty on that. The absence of military markings on it could have been the reason I didn't have to spend big on it. Could be that the absence of military marking, today, isn't considered as much of a drawback as it did 30 years ago.

PS This particular model (The "Standardmodell") was exported all over the world between the World Wars, and also ended up, once hostilities began, arming the early SS, from what I've read, even though they were never marked for the SS, or anything Nazi related.
I’m shooting downhill at my home range.

Didnt know that Haute Couture dictated bag etiquette

I’ll be sure and check with Miss Lynn more often
Much nicer than the 1939 vintage Kitchen Counter Custom living at my place.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Just did a little research, and one in similar condition (same exact model) sold at Rock Island Auction Company, back in 2018, for $3,450.00. I guess, if I wanted top dollar for it, I'd contact them. Link
Back in the dark ages I bought 30 Turkish Mausers for $29.95 each- - - - -complete rifles, not barreled actions. The sand in the barrel channels was included at no extra charge. These were made in Orbendorf under contract to the Turkish government, so they're actual German-made rifles, not knockoffs made in some local armory. I made a bunch of sporters out of them, and I've still got a few in original condition. The originals are selling these days for at least 10 times my original cost!
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Back in the dark ages I bought 30 Turkish Mausers for $29.95 each- - - - -complete rifles, not barreled actions. The sand in the barrel channels was included at no extra charge. These were made in Orbendorf under contract to the Turkish government, so they're actual German-made rifles, not knockoffs made in some local armory. I made a bunch of sporters out of them, and I've still got a few in original condition. The originals are selling these days for at least 10 times my original cost!
No doubt.
Nice old 98, for sure.

Used the other way, I was aimed too low. I could have put something under it, I guess.

I have an assortment of 2"x6" and 1"x6" squares in my shooting bag bucket to make these type of elevation adjustments.

I'll give you props for your redneck ingenuity, which is usually reserved for Slummy smirk
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I have an assortment of 2"x6" and 1"x6" squares in my shooting bag bucket to make these type of elevation adjustments.

I'll give you props for your redneck ingenuity, which is usually reserved for Slummy smirk

Good idea.
Thanks for the pics. A few of the 1937 Standard Modells actually started out as 98k military guns with S/42 above the banner and buffed away and 1937 below the banner and again buffed away. There are two story lines whichever one chooses to believe.

1. That they were used by SS. I don't believe that because there are no military markings on them anywhere.

2. That they started out as S/42 Code 1937 destined for 98k carbines but did not pass military inspection, but were deemed as suitable for sporting use. I believe that more than the other.
Thanks for the pics. A few of the 1937 Standard Modells actually started out as 98k military guns with S/42 above the banner and buffed away and 1937 below the banner and again buffed away. There are two story lines whichever one chooses to believe.

1. That they were used by SS. I don't believe that because there are no military markings on them anywhere.

2. That they started out as S/42 Code 1937 destined for 98k carbines but did not pass military inspection, but were deemed as suitable for sporting use. I believe that more than the other.

These Standard Modells were used by many security and police forces around the world, to include pre-WWII Germany. They are not military rejects that are only suitable for sports. They were designated commercial guns at the Oberndorf factory as a ruse only, to defeat Versailles Treaty inspectors.

I remember seeing a big table a gun show piled high with Turkish Mausers, 60 of them piled up like firewood. Sixty bucks a piece. like you said, German Mausers made at oberndorf. I bought one, great rifle!
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I remember seeing a big table a gun show piled high with Turkish Mausers, 60 of them piled up like firewood. Sixty bucks a piece. like you said, German Mausers made at oberndorf. I bought one, great rifle!

Yep, back in the 1990s they were coming in in droves, by the crate full, and cheap, like you say. Back at that time, I was looking through a bunch that had just been put out on the floor, and one of them looked pristine, like it had never been issued. I immediately grabbed it, brought it up to the cashier, and she started processing me for the purchase, when the owner's son passed by and caught a glimpse of it, picked it up and looked it over admiringly. I commented, "Nice, right?" He replied, "Oh, this was put out by mistake ... it's got a defect, and we can't sell it." He then went into the back with it, and that was that. What an a-hole.

I went back and found another one, but the best of what was left, which, while functional and in reasonable shape (clean bore, too), wasn't much compared to the one the owner's son stole from me.
Anybody ever seen the Chinese "Chiang Kai Chek" Mausers? Rumor has it the receivers were hand-forged out of scrap iron, including railroad tracks, in the 1930's. I had two of them, sold as "non-firing wall hangers only" by a vendor in Shotgun News. Rough as a cob, but they looked and cycled like real Mausers.
Standard Modells are definitely Cadillacs, but there are more than a few 1937 Standard Modells that have the S/42 code above the Mauser banner and 1937 below the Mauser banner on the receiver ring with the S/42 and 1937 buffed off but still readable. This is unique to 1937. I did not say all Standard Modells were military rejects nor am I saying that all 1937 Standard Modells are military rejects. I asked how yours was marked to see if it was one of those examples. I know Standard Modells were made from 1935, possibly 1934. They are fine guns. I don't know for sure when they quit making them.
Standard Modells are definitely Cadillacs, but there are more than a few 1937 Standard Modells that have the S/42 code above the Mauser banner and 1937 below the Mauser banner on the receiver ring with the S/42 and 1937 buffed off but still readable. This is unique to 1937. I did not say all Standard Modells were military rejects nor am I saying that all 1937 Standard Modells are military rejects. I asked how yours was marked to see if it was one of those examples. I know Standard Modells were made from 1935, possibly 1934. They are fine guns. I don't know for sure when they quit making them.

S/42 is indeed buffed out above Mauser, and 1937 is indeed buffed out below Mauser. What does this mean?

One just like mine just sold for $4,750.00. Link

I had no idea. I don't think I paid a huge sum for this gun back 30 years ago.
I listed the two most popular beliefs earlier about being SS guns or receivers that didn't pass military inspection for whatever reason. I will add a third. The Nazi's decided to openly defy the Treaty of Versailles in 1937 but then got cold feet and waited until 1938 to openly produce the 98k. That is another mystery lost to history. As I stated there are more than a few of these 1937 dual marked guns.

I had a mixmaster 1935 Standard Modell; actually I had a gun that had a 1935 Standard Modell receiver is about all. I wish I still had it!
I listed the two most popular beliefs earlier about being SS guns or receivers that didn't pass military inspection for whatever reason. I will add a third. The Nazi's decided to openly defy the Treaty of Versailles in 1937 but then got cold feet and waited until 1938 to openly produce the 98k. That is another mystery lost to history. As I stated there are more than a few of these 1937 dual marked guns.

I had a mixmaster 1935 Standard Modell; actually I had a gun that had a 1935 Standard Modell receiver is about all. I wish I still had it!

Thanks. Mine has serial numbers all over it, and all of them match. Not sure if I should keep this rifle, or put it up for auction, considering the prices they seem to be getting.
I'll try and help you out with your problem.

1. Are you running a museum? If not, you may want the money they are bringing. Be aware of seller's remorse.

2. If you want to shoot it, either find a cheaper alternative, but 98k's in decent condition, and unmatched are going for a lot these days, or shoot it and enjoy the heck out of an extremely valuable and unique gun. The value will drop a bit as the wear and tear increases, but will still bring ridiculous money down the road.

I collected all manner of guns at one time or another. I eventually always sold the more pristine and kept the dogs to play with. There are so many Mauser variants that it is hard to collect them all. But you have one of the most desirable Mausers out there. It ranks up there but probably a bit below an Oberndorf Sporter or bonafide Nazi marked SS rune gun as far as value. You can't beat a banner Mauser as far as pure class! And you have a pristine example of a known variant that nobody seems to know why they happened. I think someone jumped the gun on 98k's either at the top and then changed their mind or a subordinate jumped the gun and was clamped down from higher. One thing for sure is there are more than a couple of these in existence and why are the other military proofs, acceptance marks, and Waffenampts absent? Who knows, maybe it was an honest mistake. One thing for sure they were not backyard conversions.
Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your commentary.
Let Happy Camper accuracy test it for you.
When he was 9 or 10.
He put 10 or 15 shots with one into the x ring.
1 hole group at 100yds...
Nice.....
He made a post about doing so...

👍👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Oh my bad he was 8 at the time...
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...eorge-floyd-as-jesus-christ#Post16651520
I've fired a lot of "one hole groups"- - - - -of course only having one round of ammo handy at the time helps!
But doing it at 8 yrs old
A 15 shot one hole group.
With a 98 8mm.

Absofuggingloutly infuggingcredible.

Its Alvin York and Carlos Hathcock
Reincarnated in our very own Happy Camper

We are truly blessed to have him here as a member among us.

Markmanship and spiritual guidance all in one person.

PTL!!!!
No matter what the 98 is my favorite….. in any configuration….
That's a real beauty and a great catch. Can remember when surplus M98s could be had in the late 1950s, for around $50. But noting as tasty as the one in the pics.

Been a Mauser slut since i was a kid. Dad sent a VZ 24 (Brno) home at war's end. Straight bolt, unaltered except he cut the original stock back in the late 40s, for a deer rifle. Metal finish is very good. Killed a doe with it some years ago. Military V groove sights aren't for feeble eyes. Same for the 1903 US Rem (1942) w/original sights that I have. It is not an 03A3.

All of my other Mausers and variants thereof, have been sporterized. Including the the 1939 M98K my former employer brought home in 1945. Little metal finish left on it, but it's all matching numbers. Wish now I'd let it be? Also have the ol' boy's P38 AC41 w/matching numbers, even the magazine.

But I shortened the barrel on his M98, bolt reconfigured, drilled and tapped for scope bases. Timney trigger, low scope safety and Fajen walnut stock. It's very accurate with my loads and has killed several deer.

Also have a M98 small ring Mauser in 8x57. Think it's a Danzig? An FN M98 pattern action semi custom, that started life as a Columbian Army rifle in 30-06.
Yeah, back in the day, sporterizing them was pretty standard practice, which is why they are so collectable now. Few were left in military configuration.

I have a really nice, professionally sporterized, German Mauser that was converted to .30-06. Beautiful rifle. I think it was sporterized between the world wars. Very high quality job. I think I'll take that one out and shoot it next.
One of my neighbors lent me a beautiful M98 sporter years back. Nicely figured walnut stock, re-blued metal. Had a Lyman rear sight and was D/T'd, but he didn't know that had happened to the bases. Sights were spot on at 100 for factory 170gr ammo, which is fairly anemic stuff. Would've liked to have seen how it did scoped, because it was very accurate with the Lyman.

Fired a few of my 8x57 150gr reloads in it, that printed an inch and a half higher than the factory stuff.

Never got to hunt with it, he eventually wanted it back and refused to sell it.

Receiver Markings:

[Linked Image]

The meaning of the proofmarks:
U with crown means: Endbeschuss/final prooffiring

B with crown means: marking of foreign weapons and that is a little bit strange since the gun was made in Germany but probably reimported from a foreign state

G with crown means: rifled barrel

N with crown means: nitro powder proofed
https://www.sgammo.com/product/blac...auser-154-grain-fmj-steel-case-ammo-made

Thanks.
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

Receiver Markings:

[Linked Image]

The meaning of the proofmarks:
U with crown means: Endbeschuss/final prooffiring

B with crown means: marking of foreign weapons and that is a little bit strange since the gun was made in Germany but probably reimported from a foreign state

G with crown means: rifled barrel

N with crown means: nitro powder proofed

Cool. Thanks.
Thanks for posting about your 1937OM. Being very partial to reworked ("sporterized"?) mil Mausers, the favorite among mine is the 1895 Chilean in 7x57 bought from the Sears mail catalog for $13 and change in 1962. A pure novice, I reworked it myself over a period of a year and took a desert mule deer with it in fall 1963. With its reloads, still drops 5 within an inch at 100 yds. Thanks again.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Thanks for posting about your 1937OM. Being very partial to reworked ("sporterized"?) mil Mausers, the favorite among mine is the 1895 Chilean in 7x57 bought from the Sears mail catalog for $13 and change in 1962. A pure novice, I reworked it myself over a period of a year and took a desert mule deer with it in fall 1963. With its reloads, still drops 5 within an inch at 100 yds. Thanks again.

Cool.

I've got a Venezuelan Mauser 98 (made by FN between the wars) that's in about the same kind of condition as this one, and it's in 7mm. It's damned hard to get any military surplus 7mm ammo nowadays, though, so I've never shot it. I have recently ordered some sporting 7mm ammo, and intend to shoot it as soon at it arrives.

I've also got a German Mauser 98 that was reworked (sporterized) professionally some time back in the Dark Ages (maybe between the world wars) that's a real beauty. It was rebarreled at that time to .30-06. I intend to shoot it and report on it soon.

I’ve got a case of that in the garage that I bought for $99. I shot a couple more of it. It’s pretty good but not as good as the Yugo stuff you used to be able to get.
Originally Posted by JoeBob

I’ve got a case of that in the garage that I bought for $99. I shot a couple more of it. It’s pretty good but not as good as the Yugo stuff you used to be able to get.

I remember those days fondly.
Great looking rifle. I had a 1939. It had WWII features.
The 7x57 available in 1962 when I got the M95 was Win mfr. 175 gr. with a lead round nose. Turned out to be mediocre at best. Over the years, some commercial mfr. in the 150 gr. area have been good - the best of those was some RWS from Germany. In general, 140 gr. Sierra is tops in mine and the ballistic calcs seem to support such.
[Linked Image]

This Mauser was made at Oberndorf between 1903 and 1905 for the Turks.
I rebarreled to 260 rem 3.1" Bartlein and shot a deer October 2021......118 years later.
There's a simple, minimally-invasive modification that I do to some Mausers that I don't want to go the full sporter route on- - - - -ream the chamber to 8MM-06. That was a popular conversion back in the 1950's when the only 8MM ammo available on this side of the pond was Berdan primed and very difficult to reload, and milsurp -06 brass was available by the truckload. The brass was easy to fireform once the chamber was reamed correctly.

You're welcome. This stuff ought to shoot pretty good.

That's a mighty fine rifle you have there.
Back to the first pictures in this thread, WOW. That is the cleanest and best looking 98 I've ever seen. I have a DOU 43 that looks like what it is (a well worn WWII rifle that was manhandled by the Soviets)...to think it once looked like TRH's pic is mind boggling.
Originally Posted by hanco
Great looking rifle. I had a 1939. It had WWII features.

I've always wanted one like that, i.e., a clean, early Nazi, Mauser K98k, in full military configuration, matching numbers.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You're welcome. This stuff ought to shoot pretty good.

That's a mighty fine rifle you have there.

Thank you.
A real "commercial" Mauser, not a military clone, will not have the stripper clip slot in the rear bridge, or the thumb cutout in the left rail. The fit and finish on those rifles is nothing short of spectacular and their collector's value is out of sight.
A real "commercial" Mauser, not a military clone, will not have the stripper clip slot in the rear bridge, or the thumb cutout in the left rail. The fit and finish on those rifles is nothing short of spectacular and their collector's value is out of sight.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
I like that poster.
I love the Mausers!
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I like that poster.
I love the Mausers!

The pre-64 Winchester 70s are nearly as cool. I've got a Super Grade in very minty condition, with original detachable sling swivels. Sadly, it's in the, recently ill-reputed, 270 Winchester chambering, LOL.
Nein! du Schweinhund!!!

Nothing compares to the Mauser.
Hawk, that's a real keeper haven't seen one that clean for ages...very NICE !

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I don't even like Mausers and I like that poster.
I've always liked that poster, too.

Also, thanks FFF.
© 24hourcampfire