Home
Posted By: Coyotejunki Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
My brother bought a Laser range finder the I 1000 I think? Anyways the LED's inside stopped working so he can't see the numbers. He sent it back to Leupold for repairs they sent it back saying they don't warrentee them anymore. Guess it is time to buy the vortex or chinese stuff with lifetime warrentees.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
Ouch !

Vortex does have an endless supply of exchanges for their products failures.

YMMV

🦫
Posted By: slumlord Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21

Posted By: pullit Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
lol
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
I’ve got the same one. Worked fine for years. Took it out of my pack, a few days ago, and SAME issue. Reading on the Internet, looks like LOTS of these are starting to do this. Optics are fine, rangefinding function still works, you just can’t see the led in regular daytime light. I won’t waste $300-$400 on another Leupold one.

FWIW, I can make it “visible” by holding a finger over the bottom half of the objective lens, OR quickly placing my hand completely over the lens after hitting ranging button (don’t obscure the laser hole BEFORE the ranging has been done). Makes the view dark enough that led readout is legible.

PITA, and turned it into a TWO handed tool, but at least got me through the hunt...
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
BTW, the Leupold is Chinese as well....
Posted By: hanco Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
Mine went bad also, bad product.
Posted By: barm Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
Mine went bad too a few weeks ago. They said it was 8-10 years old and I could buy another model at a discounted price. I bought a Leica from Cameraland NY instead. Thank you, Doug.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/01/21
IIRC
Think Lupy only warranties optics electonics for like 5yrs.

Dunno
Dont care.

Was a life long user from 1977 to 2017.
They lost homie as a customer.
Just a drop in da bucket to em anyways.
But I prefer scopes ( subject outside of thread)
That track per stated value correctly
Hold zero
Return to zero for known loads.

BTW...
Chasing zero is not a thing to have in a aiming device.
And finding this magic spot in a wonky scope for so a called set and forget setting is a lame excuse for brand loyalty in a substandard product.

Lupy scopes aint the same mechanically they once were.

Not much to ask of a aiming device really, for it to work properly.
Everything else is fluff.

People love em or hate em.

Fords and chevy,s .....
Blondes and Brunettes.....

Got my asbestos suit on.
👍🙄🙄👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
2 year warranty on Leupold electronics!
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Huh. Was considering a mk5 3.6-18x44. Guess it might not be worth it.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21

currently have a Leica 1200 scan....

15 + YO....

works great.....

watch for it in the ads
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
vortex or chinese stuff

Vortex IS chinese stuff.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
I have a Leupold 1000 range finder with the same exact issue as the OP. Seems like Leupold quality is lacking along with their customer service.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
I bought a jacket from Wrangler 38 years ago and the zipper just failed.

The bastards said they don't warranty them no more!

If that ain't corporate greed I don't know what is.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by barm
I bought a Leica from Cameraland NY instead. Thank you, Doug.

I did the same. Got the 2800 and it’s performance is remarkable.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
When a company has changed from Made in the USA to
Assembled in the USA

That tells ya their business and manufacturing model has changed.
When a company stops offering various services like custom work or even basic repair .
That speaks of their business model.
When ya buy a 400 to 1000 dollar scope and it pukes and they dont do repair work but do a one for one warranty exchange.
That speaks of their cost per unit and profitability per unit.

Companies aint losing money......

The best warranty is one you never have to use on proven products.

When exchange becomes a company warranty trend in leiu of even the simplest repair.
It's probably time to not trust that companies products based on it's products crapping out at any time on the user.

Just saying.......
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Sounds like a mirror image of what Weatherby is becoming..
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
I don’t consider electronics to be durable goods, in any form; phones, tvs, computers, any of it. I buy expecting a reasonable service life, hoping the item lasts until I decide to upgrade, and if a company honors the original warranty as stated at the time of purchase, they’ve kept their word. Offering a lifetime warranty on stuff that is likely going to fail at some point is a sales tool, a business decision that they’re betting will pay more than it costs.

So, did the rangefinder last through the promised warranty period, or did they change their policy after the sale? IIRC, electronics in Leupold products have had a limited warranty period for a long time, which is also the case for most companies.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Rangefinders=Leica
And forget the others
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don’t consider electronics to be durable goods, in any form; phones, tvs, computers, any of it. I buy expecting a reasonable service life, hoping the item lasts until I decide to upgrade, and if a company honors the original warranty as stated at the time of purchase, they’ve kept their word. Offering a lifetime warranty on stuff that is likely going to fail at some point is a sales tool, a business decision that they’re betting will pay more than it costs.

So, did the rangefinder last through the promised warranty period, or did they change their policy after the sale? IIRC, electronics in Leupold products have had a limited warranty period for a long time, which is also the case for most companies.

Shush!

We are busy scolding!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Oh boy, just what we need, another Leupold hate thread. Well, I had a set of Leica range finding binoculars that crapped out after two years or so. Went back to Leica and they got fixed, then came back with a piece of rubber in the lens. Thankfully, Doug from Cameraland stepped in and got me a new replacement. Electronics aren't forever, folks...
Posted By: Terryk Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
I have a Leica, worth the money to me.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Shush!

We are busy scolding!

Sorry. Despite my best efforts, the Ugly Head of Reason occasionally raises up.

I did manage to refrain from asking why he was doing the bitching instead of his brother…Oops!
Posted By: Coyotejunki Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21

Shush!

We are busy scolding!

I did manage to refrain from asking why he was doing the bitching instead of his brother…Oops!

My brother is not a member of 24hr CF forums. I don't know when he bought it and how long he had it. I know it didn't work on our Antelope hunt several weeks back. Thought I would mention it, in case someone else was looking for a range finder, this might be a heads up for then to consider another manufacturer. I didn't realize so many would be upset with my post. I guess I should be ashamed for not knowing all the rules of etiquette here. Thank you all for your kind words.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Gosh my Leupold RX-650 has worked fine for years and it's been dropped 18' out of a treestand and fell out of my pocket while hunting and spent two days/nights outdoors on the ground before my hunting partners son in law stumbled across it while hunting. Guess I'm just lucky.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Originally Posted by barm
I bought a Leica from Cameraland NY instead. Thank you, Doug.

I did the same. Got the 2800 and it’s performance is remarkable.

I will do the same when my 16 year old leica takes a crap.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have a Leica, worth the money to me.

+1

Shush!

We are busy scolding!

My brother is not a member of 24hr CF forums. I don't know when he bought it and how long he had it. I know it didn't work on our Antelope hunt several weeks back. Thought I would mention it, in case someone else was looking for a range finder, this might be a heads up for then to consider another manufacturer. I didn't realize so many would be upset with my post. I guess I should be ashamed for not knowing all the rules of etiquette here. Thank you all for your kind words.

Recommend a rangefinder that is long out of production?

Can I get a warrantee on my VCR?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21

Were they using YKK zippers way back then, or their own versions?

Can't get nothing that lasts any more.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

No schit.

And you know what? Them bastards didnt even offer to buy me a new jacket. So I says to them I says.....Well, give me another one like it.

They then says that they havent made that jacket for 27 years.

Fine customer service I say!

Whoopity Sheesh!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Bushnell 800. Would read 4-450 on it's best day. A year from new it fell apart inside. Bushnell said they only warranted for 2 years & mine was over 5 YO & had been dropped from from a high place. Told them different, new from a reputable catalog seller one year ago & I don't do high places. Offered to sell me a new one at heap big discount which was more than Cabela's ask for one. Thanks but no thanks. They ask what I wanted them to do with old unrepairable one? I ask; you really want me to answer that? Bout 4 months later got a new 1000 Arc in the mail. No invoice, thank you/GFY note or nothing. It will read 550 on it's best day.

Told friend story. He said Bushnell told him that his warranty void cause his bad one had been subjected to extreme cold temps. Said he called them liars as he lived in Ky., & KY's coldest temp for 2 years had been 13, hadn't traveled with it & he didn't keep it in the fugging deep freeze. They got an FU from him.

I have an old Leica 900 that's working marginally & no longer warranted. And, a Swarovski that still works great, but it is no longer warranted & I paid a pile for it.

As the world turns, the daily life of electronics. My Ranging 1000 not as accurate, but is over 25 YO & still going strong. No batteries required.
My brother bought a Laser range finder the I 1000 I think? Anyways the LED's inside stopped working so he can't see the numbers. He sent it back to Leupold for repairs they sent it back saying they don't warrentee them anymore. Guess it is time to buy the vortex or chinese stuff with lifetime warrentees.

Just about a crap shoot with anything electronical nowadays. Guess I'm lucky, I think I've got some sort of Bushnell or what not, that's going on 10 years old, and it was still working last year. Didn't hunt this year, so I'm not sure if it works anymore. It's only good out to 600 yards or so also.

Bought a homeowner weather station 4 years or so back. Rain gauge reads sometimes, others not, I even moved it closer to the house to see if the radio waves would have an easier time getting to the indoor receiver. No luck. I think I'm going back to analog and get one of those glass tubes that fill up and you have to read and record it by hand, like in the horse and buggy days even.

Radio in the 20 year old truck died a few years back, haven't replaced it yet. Outside of having to replace a vacuum tube now and again, the radio in the '54 Chevy that was my first car was still working when I sold it at 33 years old. They just don't make them like they used to.

Good luck with finding a model that suits y'all's needs and lasts more than a couple of years.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

No schit.

And you know what? Them bastards didnt even offer to buy me a new jacket. So I says to them I says.....Well, give me another one like it.

They then says that they havent made that jacket for 27 years.

Fine customer service I say!

Whoopity Sheesh!

"Whoppity Sheesh!"

gotta remember that one. It's like Sheesh, on steeroids!
Posted By: las Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21

That don't happen with hoodies. Just saying.....
Posted By: las Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
My scopes and 800i still work fine.

I will not use Redfield nor Bushnell products. Ever again.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21

Your local TV repairman should be able to help you out.
Well thanks for all the direction. Wrangler jackets, TV repairman, VCR help. LOL Guess I f'd up by not asking him how old it was. I thought it was new. I have the Sig and it still works fine. I thought Leupy had a lifetime warrentee, guess I was wrong there too. laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Stickfight
vortex or chinese stuff

Vortex IS chinese stuff.

Exactly.
Again I guess I should have added "vortex or other chinese stuff"

I am told Vortex has a lifetime warranty, either way not going to lose any sleep over it. Not my problem
Posted By: BarnOwl Re: Leupold Sucks - 12/02/21
Hope they don't suck. I've just dipped my toe into Leupold ownership and bought two in the last 48hours. Neither of which have arrived yet. A 20 year old M8 6x42 and a brand spanking new VX Freedom 3-9x40 hunt-plex which won't arrive for a few weeks. I'm expecting the Freedom to be a step up from my current 'best' scope which is a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40EFR.
© 24hourcampfire