Home
Posted By: ltppowell Way, way back... - 12/02/21
"Even before emails." I heard that today.

Damn.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
"Back before microwaves, we made Jiffy Pop popcorn on the stovetop".....
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Before rabbit ears we listened to the radio.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
"Back before microwaves, we made Jiffy Pop popcorn on the stovetop".....

LOL ! We were at the Drive-In Movie when I was probably 6 or 7 years old. 1966 or 1967.
Dad was too tight to buy Movie Popcorn. He did a pan of that Jiffy Pop in the foil pan on the manifold of his 64 Chevy Impala. Doesn’t get more Redneck than that. 🤠
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Carbon paper.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Before those creedmores hunters killed schiett.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My father's last words to me were in an email, still got it.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Before those creedmores hunters killed schiett.

Yeah but not as dead as with the Creed.
Before plastic, wax paper shells lubed chambers.

Before shot cups we used full chokes.

Before aluminum cans kids traded three pop bottles for a soda pop.

Posted By: RIO7 Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21

Before dial telephones----------Rio7
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
ltppowell;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope the first day of the last month of what's proven to be an eventful year finds you and yours well.

My late father went from horses only on the prairies through watching man land on the moon up to cell phones. I always thought he saw a whole lot of change in his life, but here we are now right?

Honestly speaking of cell phones though, when I watched the crew of the Enterprise with the little communicators they had, I expected to have phazers before that. We had VHF radios in the tractors, combines and trucks on the farm, but they were big things and only worked maybe 20 miles mobile to mobile.

The first computer our school got was donated by a bank and it took 6 of us to move it on and off the back of a pickup truck. I doubt it had a fraction of ability most phones have now.

Sometimes when I'm sitting on a mountain and there's no overhead airline traffic and I can't hear logging equipment, which admittedly isn't that often, but when it does happen I wonder what life would be like if it stayed quiet like that, you know?

It's interesting for sure though what some of the younger set call "way back".

On the other side of the coin, our youngest is a high school teacher and when the inner webs broked off two weeks ago, she said that very few of her Grade 8 class knew how to get information out of a textbook. That concerned her mightily as you can well imagine.

All the best to you and yours as we head into the Christmas Season.

Dwayne
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
3 cent stamps - whatever happened to the "cent" sign, BTW - the little "c" with the vertical line?
Post cards
The term "two bits"
Carbide lights, and kerosene road flares
Flour sifters
Citrus juicers
Dollar watches
"The Warden" suggested girdles and nylons with seams - "Is my seam straight?"
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
"Dittos" from the teacher.

How many of you can still smell them?
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
When radio was "wireless" and 270s were macho
Dwayne, our daughter is a high school FFA teacher, with many students who have minimal internet service. (many on the rez)
I need to ask if her students can use a book - for my own knowledge - I can't fathom NOT being able to use a reference book!

Best to you and yours, and all up north.
Posted By: skfullen Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My grandmother marveled everytime an airplane flew over. She lived 1908-1990.

I still remember her saying, "look,an airplane!". I said, "yeah", nonchalantly. She said, "well, I remember when there weren't any!"
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Hot N Now .39 cent burgers and .86 cents a gallon gas in the early 90’s. My parents would sometimes go away for the weekend and leave me with food in the fridge, a $50 and whatever money I had from my minimum wage $4.25 per hour after school job. I had money to burn riding around with buddies on a Friday or Saturday.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Hot N Now .39 cent burgers and .86 cents a gallon gas in the early 90’s. My parents would sometimes go away for the weekend and leave me with food in the fridge, a $50 and whatever money I had from my minimum wage $4.25 per hour after school job. I had money to burn riding around with buddies on a Friday or Saturday.

Lucky badstid.
Originally Posted by skfullen

I still remember her saying, "look,an airplane!". I said, "yeah", nonchalantly. She said, "well, I remember when there weren't any!"

It was similar for my grandparents. They were all born in the 1920’s and remembered first radios, first radios in cars, cranking an old car with a hand crank to start it and refrigerations rather than an icebox.

Good one.
We had a great time taking "The Warden"s grandmother to the Balloon Fiesta in ABQ - back in the mid-eighties.
She oooooohed and aaaaahhed all day!
Born 1896 - died 2000 - age 104.
Used to hear stories of living in a half-dugout, wagon travel, cooking over "BS coal", and many more.
She shot her father-in-law, just "winged him", though. Didn't WANT to kill him, just make a point!
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Lucky badstid.

Couldn’t wait for them to be gone for the weekend! My son is 18 but riding around for him and his buddies on weekends while he was in HS never seemed like a big deal to them. Growing up pre cellphones and internet we lived for riding around and checking out the local spots that kids met up at to flirt do bonfires and get into typical HS age trouble.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21

My grandmother lived from 1910 to 2008. Hell of a ride, from horse drawn wagons and no electricity in dirt poor NE TX to seeing a man land on the moon to www.

WWII, Korea, Kennedy, 'nam, Watergate, Desert storm, 9/11...pretty wild

Remember 18 cent regular gas 22 cent high test, 8 cent propane, nickle Coke a Cola, in the green bottle,.22 LR 18 cents a box of 50, 410 2 1/2" $1.25 for a box of 25 # 6s,, remember cash only no checks, AM radio only at night , no FM any time and no T.V. Good Hay 25 cents a bale. Rio7
Posted By: AZmark Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My dad 1916-2001. His immigrant parents had a hardware/furniture store in eastern AZ. They used to haul goods from Phoenix on Model A or T trucks, I'm not sure which, over mountain dirt roads. Had to camp out along the way because it was a 2 day drive (now its 3-4 hrs) One of the best stories he told me was about having to put a loaded truck in reverse and back up through the steep mountain grades because 1st gear wasnt low enough.

AZmark, The Model T And A, didn't have a fuel pump, they were gravity fed from a gas tank in the fire wall, when the going got steep you turned them around to make the gas get to the engine. Rio7
Posted By: rembo Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
When I was a kid we had to eat Tide right out of the box,....didn't have any fancy "Pods"....
Posted By: denton Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Cars and tractors that had ignition points. In a pinch, you could set the gap with a matchbook.

No transistors. All electronics were vacuum tube, and a TV cost about $650 of that era's dollars.

Only the rich could afford a private telephone line. The rest of us had the party line.

Pretty much all the cars got around 15-16 miles per gallon.
Posted By: rangerat Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Hell, I made stove top popcorn in a frying pan this evening. I remember when all the planes had propellers and I'd run outside to see them fly over. I still do when I hear a rotary plane engine.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

AZmark, The Model T And A, didn't have a fuel pump, they were gravity fed from a gas tank in the fire wall, when the going got steep you turned them around to make the gas get to the engine. Rio7

OK..then thats probably what they were doing. Its been a long time since he told me that story.

Wife got one of those old wooden ice boxes for furniture in our house...my dad told me "Yeah I remember when gas refrigerators came out and we had a bunch of those old wood ice boxes in stock and of course they wouldnt sell so my Grandpa loaded them all up on a truck and we hauled them to the dump. Theyre worth hundreds today.
Posted By: pullit Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Back when you walked the side of the road looking for coke bottles to take back to the store for the deposit.
Back when your phone had party lines and a rotary dial
Back when cars had spot lights on them.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
"Even before emails." I heard that today.

Damn.

Remember that teletype machine in the dispatch office? smile
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Hudson 7 2936......my Grandparents phone number.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21

Good one.

I remember when there weren't any as well.

Right after the 9/11 terror attacks.

The skies were eerily quiet.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My mom can recall the throbbing sound of Luftwaffe bombers, the sounds of bombs impacting, and the time a German plane buzzed the playground she was at without strafing. Her dad was a fireman.

My Ex MiL, whom I still speak to regularly, witnessed the Bataan Death March as a little girl, spent the war with her family hiding in the jungle while her father fought with the guerillas.

They both had eventful childhoods.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
My mom can recall the throbbing sound of Luftwaffe bombers, the sounds of bombs impacting, and the time a German plane buzzed the playground she was at without strafing. Her dad was a fireman.

My Ex MiL, whom I still speak to regularly, witnessed the Bataan Death March as a little girl, spent the war with her family hiding in the jungle while her father fought with the guerillas.

They both had eventful childhoods.

Ahhh....the good ole days....
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21

I think people who were born around the turn of the 20th century saw the most staggering amount of change ever. Their lives were much more similar to those of ancient times than similar to ours today.

The big thing in my lifetime has of course been the tech gadgets but its not the same as getting climate control, electricity, indoor plumbing, cars, air travel, television/radio, telephone, etc. My parents were born in 1932-33 and still used a kerosene lamp to do homework after dark, parents had wood stove and fireplace, out house....and of course no AC and living in South Georgia.

In most ways, these are the best days ever......if it were not for liberal idiots/globalists trying to ruin everything. Only thing I would like to have back from the "good old days" would be the undeveloped Georgia coast and South Carolina low country.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
A period of time before there was the internet, Jim Bowie knives became fashionable among young men. Unlike ordinary knives, these knives served primarily as tools to kill other young men should the need arise. They were male ego items, and as such were often expensive, showy, and worn in plain sight for all to see. Said knife said to the world “Do not mess with me. If I wanted I could kill you.” The usual sort of guy stuff.

There’s a famous Historian, Hank Williams Jr. who used to tell about what young men did before they had the internet and smart phones to occupy their time: Turns out young men would get together with their rowdy friends, go into town, and drink whiskey.

Across the South especially at this time, young men came from a culture where they could be rather easily provoked.

Young men easily provoked, alcohol, and now they were showing up with big honking Jim Bowie knives on their belts for all to see.

The result was predictable; a wave of senseless knife violence swept the South, young men in the flower of their youth being struck down in stupid drunken brawls. What did this epidemic of senseless knife violence result in?

Knife Control, of course.

In 1839 Georgia, Tennesse and Kentucky all outlawed the carrying of Jim Bowie knives, (which is why there are no Jim Bowie knives in those States today). These laws did not to the best of my knowledge specify what features made a Jim Bowie knife a Jim Bowie knife, nor address the fact that a plain ol’ kitchen knife could also be used to kill people.

If them young men back them woulda had video games and smartphones this all would likely of never happened.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Want to get an awful puzzled look? Just give a kid a book for Christmas this year.
I tell people I’m from the 1900’s
Posted By: dale06 Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
I remember the outhouse that we used as kids way back in the early 1960s. That was at a one room country school in west central Ks. They did have one for boys and girls, as we only had two genders those days.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Threads like this remind us why that old show "The Waltons" was so popular.

We all want to live in simpler times.
Going to the card catalog to look up a real book in a library
Originally Posted by RJY66
I think people who were born around the turn of the 20th century saw the most staggering amount of change ever.

Not to mention the wars and depression they saw. We take so much for granted now.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by dale06
I remember the outhouse that we used as kids way back in the early 1960s. That was at a one room country school in west central Ks. They did have one for boys and girls, as we only had two genders those days.

LOL, I can imagine what would've happened if a kid had declared he was "non- binary" back then.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Carbon paper.

Whiteout.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My Mom was born in 1910 in a house that was built when Ban Franklin was still alive. She was the oldest of 13, four of whom died serving in WW-II, and she was in the Army, also. Dad drove a deuce and a half during the Battle of the Bulge.

I'm a Boomer, born in February 1947. I have flown jets that were manufactured when I was six years old. Until my high school years, there were no phone area codes and all calls other than local had to go through a long distance operator. Our number was Mercury 2-5062. Cars got 1,000 miles between oil changes, and most "new" oil was recycled 30W. You'd switch to 10W in winter or the starter wouldn't turn over. Tires were rayon cord bias ply, and they'd have flat spots if the car sat too long. You'd hear and feel them going "wump...wump...wump" until they warmed up.

Very few people were rich enough to fly on commercial airlines, most of which were DC-3s, and if you did, you wore your Sunday best suit. They were disappearing by the 50s, but you could still see and hear steam locomotives hauling freight trains.

In college, I carried 18 to 20 semester hours, commuted to classes, and worked part time in a Western Auto store at $1.65/hr which was the minimum pay rate. Tuition at a major University was $800 a semester, and I paid off my student loans within a couple of years after graduation. Gas was 30 cents a gallon and my VW bug got 30 mpg, a happy coincidence.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub

They always appeared rather opulent to me for a depression era family.
Posted By: Osky Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Home made mittens on a string, grandma made them.
Grandma was born in an actual sod cabin on the prairie homestead 1888. Lived to 1989 sharp minded all the way.
She fondly remembered as a girl the last of the true wild Indians passing the place, some stopping to trade for food.
I sat chatting with her during a couple different shuttle launches on tv.
The things she saw and related are amazing now.

Osky
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I think people in the country did better during the depression. My father talked about hunting deer outside the legal season for food.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
5 cent fountain Cokes, five cent ice cream cones.

Party lines, "11 on 2"
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Before white girls hung out on the other side of the tracks

We have been "progressed".
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Before white girls hung out on the other side of the tracks

And had crackers paying for their mistakes.
Two dollar a carton Lucky Strikes.
Two dollar a carton Lucky Strikes.
When there were democrats instead of lying, no good, POS, dumbassed, low life, corksucking dimocrap commie traitors.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
The dimmer switch on the floorboard.
Hog cracklings for lunch right out of the big black kettle full of boiling lard on hog killing day.

When chicken for dinner meant little grandkids fighting over who gets to take first shot at a young roosters head with an open sighted 22.
55 cent hot beef sandwich.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
BS - Before Seatbelts

I think people in the country did better during the depression. My father talked about hunting deer outside the legal season for food.

Mom started out life in Williamson county Tx in a sharecroppers shack. Said there were no deer in their area. They had all been shot. She didn’t see her first deer until she was an adult. Said that her dad might get a rabbit or a squirrel if lucky. But the mainstay of their meat diet was the chickens they raised. They had it better than most.

Dad had it better. Same type two room batt & board shack. But in the blackjacks of Atascosa county. Lots of deer. And they ate em year round. They had to haul water from Galvan creek in the wagon for the garden. No well. Hand watered everything. Grandpaw would hitch hike to San Antonio for work. Many times he took several dozen home made tamales that grandmaw made and he would sell them for a dime a dozen. When he was on the road crew building bridges out around Sonora and Ozona he ended up with a small wood stove for their tent and grandmaw started baking pies and selling them. That was around 1926. She was still baking pies and selling them to cafes in San Antonio 2 years before she died. She dies in 1999
3 cents for a pop bottle.

Open range in E Texas
Posted By: Cretch Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Before calculators, had to do all your figuring with pencil & paper. I remember when we bought dad a 4 function calculator back in the late 60's or early 70's. Was over $100 if I remember correctly.
Making Change!! Easiest thing in the world to do! But if you wanna stump the cashier,,,,,,,,🤣🤣🤣🤣
It was said for a while a lot in Corrigan would have starved in the depression had it not been for my Grandad letting folks raid his crops at night. Corn, tomatoes, watermelon, okra, purple hull peas, cucumbers....

They even ate the watermelon rinds.

He was a mechanic at the Ford house then and farmed on the side and fed his 30 cows with chopped corn on the cob in the winter.
Jag, there was a lot of that went on!!! Grandmaw said that the local game warden would chase grandpaw all night during the week. But would always show up about 11:45 on Sundays to eat lunch with them! LOL!

Mom started out life in Williamson county Tx in a sharecroppers shack. Said there were no deer in their area. They had all been shot. She didn’t see her first deer until she was an adult. Said that her dad might get a rabbit or a squirrel if lucky. But the mainstay of their meat diet was the chickens they raised. They had it better than most.

Dad had it better. Same type two room batt & board shack. But in the blackjacks of Atascosa county. Lots of deer. And they ate em year round. They had to haul water from Galvan creek in the wagon for the garden. No well. Hand watered everything. Grandpaw would hitch hike to San Antonio for work. Many times he took several dozen home made tamales that grandmaw made and he would sell them for a dime a dozen. When he was on the road crew building bridges out around Sonora and Ozona he ended up with a small wood stove for their tent and grandmaw started baking pies and selling them. That was around 1926. She was still baking pies and selling them to cafes in San Antonio 2 years before she died. She dies in 1999

I'm old enough to have had several family members who lived through the depression. They didn't waste anything, esp food. We'd visit the grandparents and could eat as much as we wanted, but God help you if you didn't clean your plate off. Now that I'm older I find that I am the same way. with my grand kids. In some respects, the effects of the depression are still felt 100 yrs later.
Feed sack clothes.

I'm old enough to have had several family members who lived through the depression. They didn't waste anything, esp food. We'd visit the grandparents and could eat as much as we wanted, but God help you if you didn't clean your plate off. Now that I'm older I find that I am the same way. with my grand kids. In some respects, the effects of the depression are still felt 100 yrs later.

Oh yes!!! 100%.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My mom’s dad fought in WW1 I still have pictures. My dad’s dad drove a stage coach far a brief time.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My wife was a school teacher. She used a mimeograph machine to make multiple copies of tests, etc.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Pay toilets, and not a penny to my name.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Cretch
Before calculators, had to do all your figuring with pencil & paper. I remember when we bought dad a 4 function calculator back in the late 60's or early 70's. Was over $100 if I remember correctly.

Does that include the Abacus?
Newspapers, not paper towels to drain food on.
Originally Posted by Jim1611
...and a floor mounted starter pedal next to the gas pedal.

In college in the late 60's, a friend was studying engineering. He bought one of the 1st engineering calculators for about $400. That was a lot of money in those days when the minimum wage was about $1.25/hr.
The after market turn signals.
Posted By: mathman Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Openers for beer cans.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21

SuperCub and Kaywoodie;
Good morning to you both, I hope that you're both doing well this fine warm December morning.

I believe that the effects of the Depression are absolutely still felt today or at least in us kids of the people who survived it.

My Dad's family was somewhat unique in that all of the kids lived to adulthood, not the case in Mom's family for instance.

Dad's family were quite poor, but he related that they didn't feel that way because the kids all had rubber boots to wear, which some families did not. Imagine Saskatchewan winter without overshoes of any kind for a moment.

Mom's family were like the Waltons in that they were quite well off, but there was very little cash available for extras. My father in law said that they never went hungry, but cash even for repairs was hard to come by.

A cousin however related to me that he recalled eating "Brot und schmaltz" for days on end because that's all there was. Interestingly he became a fairly large contractor down at the coast and was a multi millionaire back when that was actually a big number. Harry never, ever left food on his plate that I recall though, leading me to believe some lessons in life stick.

Thanks to you both and all really for the discussion, it's interesting to me for sure.

All the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: las Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My wife's grandmother moved from Colorado to MT in a Conestoga, and took her first airplane ride, ever, on a jet to our wedding in Anchorage in 1978 at the age of 82.

A friend went to one of his neighbor's place to watch Armstrong walk on the moon. Frank had the only color TV in town, the other two being B&W. Frank blew up, claiming it was "Another government lie- that guy is just walking around in Arizona someplace, so they can raise our taxes! It's a GD Government Lie!"

His wife, quietly knitting nearby said, "That's what you said about television, Dear".
Posted By: bbassi Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Great thread. I'm younger than most of you Fuds but I do remember when the TV went off line at 2AM and all you got was the test screen until morning. I also remember taking the kitchen phone receiver and cord up to the second floor and hanging it out the window to untwist the cord. I also remember my mom making me a bed in the back window shelf of our Ford LTD so I could sleep on a long trip from Nebraska to Washington.
Steel cans for Coke and beer
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
3 cents for a pop bottle.

Open range in E Texas

Some of East Texas is still open range. Banco and I hunt in it.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Jim1611

I remember stomping that in a 1969 4-door Impala....
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
I remember our first five digit phone number when I was five (1955).

I remember walking to school.

Beat that! smile
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
My great grandmother. Born 1889, died 1992. I still marvel at what a ride she had, the things she lived through, saw and remembered.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Grandpa worked on the railroad from 1887 and drove a coal fired locomotive in northern Wisconsin until he retired in 1939. Oh what that guy must have seen in his lifetime. Dad talked about crawling under their 1926 Rio with a blow torch to heat up the oil so that the engine would turn over. Sis had him dictate his autobiography into a book and what a real archive that has been. Mom made a CD which was another great idea. Way simpler times for us growing up. 5 cent fries and 15 cent burgers at McDonald's. We'd walk over there after grade school to see if they had changed their sign of how many million burgers they had sold.
Milkin' by hand.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Dittos to the "clean your plate" adage from Depression parents. And I still cannot bring myself to throw food away willingly.

One of my worst spankings came the day my Mom said "There are starving children in Europe who'd love to have that" because I had left something. Foolishly I replied, "So how does it help them if I eat this?"
Posted By: comerade Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by mark shubert
3 cent stamps - whatever happened to the "cent" sign, BTW - the little "c" with the vertical line?
Post cards
The term "two bits"
Carbide lights, and kerosene road flares
Flour sifters
Citrus juicers
Dollar watches
"The Warden" suggested girdles and nylons with seams - "Is my seam straight?"

2 bits, 4 bits& 6 bits...I still use this term to explain the silver in my pocket. I also used a carbide lamp , I was taught to take this neccessity while hunting and fishing.
Amazing device, no matter how wet it got( the Carbide was kept dry separately until needed) you could create heat & light and without a match.
Posted By: MO2AZ Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Wow! lots of stuff I'd forgotten. Dimmer switches on the floor....totally had forgotten that. I recall the frustration when shifting gears and needing to dim the lights at the same time. crazy
My 1st recollections were of a house in S. Missouri on a dirt road (main road in the area) with the electricity in our front room provided by wiring with brown rough textured insulation (cloth?) mounted to the wall on white glass insulators with a rotary switch to turn the only light bulb in the room hanging in the center of the room on the same type of insulator. Water for the kitchen sink provided by a pitcher pump next to it on the counter... which drained out of the house by a pipe that just went outside to run away from the house in the yard. "Cabinets" were just fabric hung to cover the shelves. Outhouse in back. Only business in town was a combination gas station, feed store, post office, and had some groceries. Church next door where ladies organization had quilting bee's where they made quilts to help finance the church activities and my dad's salary(He did circuit of 3 small churches). Boxes full of rags/cloth they used were kept in the corner along with their quilting frames.
Don't recall our phone, but grandparents used a wall mounted crank type that as I recall had no dial....they had to tap the "speaker" hanger to get the operator so they could connect. Party line which confused me about why they didn't answer every time it rang. laugh Wood cook stove only heat in the house.
In HS gas was about 25 cents and gas wars would go down to 15cents. Buddy had a Mustang convertible 6 banger and the 4 of us all chipped in a quarter for gas and we could tool around all night. cool
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Dad was teasing Mom about her dishwasher and I ask,
"What would be the last gadget you would give up?"

I'm thinking microwave, dishwasher..... things a kid that grew up
in the 70s would think of.

Immediately, without thinking,
"Running water. Especially having running hot water."

She was 16 in 1954 when they got running water in her house.
Didn't even have a well, they carried water 150 yards from a
neighbors dug well.

Married my dad at 18 and lived on the farm. A mile off the road with no
electricity, for 3 or 4 more years. They had a hand pump, and only
had to carry it bout 50 yards. But somewhat uphill.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Asked Dad when did he get running water.
UGA, Athens, GA.

Lost it when he returned home after graduation. LOL
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
One of my worst spankings came the day my Mom said "There are starving children in Europe who'd love to have that" because I had left something. Foolishly I replied, "So how does it help them if I eat this?"

<LOL> ..... Impending doom! smile
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dad was teasing Mom about her dishwasher and I ask,
"What would be the last gadget you would give up?"

I'm thinking microwave, dishwasher..... things a kid that grew up
in the 70s would think of.

Immediately, without thinking,
"Running water. Especially having running hot water."

She was 16 in 1954 when they got running water in her house.
Didn't even have a well, they carried water 150 yards from a
neighbors dug well.

Married my dad at 18 and lived on the farm. A mile off the road with no
electricity, for 3 or 4 more years. They had a hand pump, and only
had to carry it bout 50 yards. But somewhat uphill.
I had an aunt/uncle and cousins that still had hand pumped water and an outhouse into the '70's.
Way Way back we had the duck and cover drills in school
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by comerade

2 bits, 4 bits& 6 bits...I still use this term to explain the silver in my pocket. I also used a carbide lamp , I was taught to take this neccessity while hunting and fishing.
Amazing device, no matter how wet it got( the Carbide was kept dry separately until needed) you could create heat & light and without a match.

The carbide I remember was a grey cake that reacted with water to create a gas, and this had to be lit to provide light...the light was extinguished by pulling the inner container containing the carbide out of the outer container containing the water.

It was useful for fishing if you put the carbide in a tin and soldered the lid on, then put a small hole in the tin and dropped it in to a larger tin with rocks in it and a hole for water ingress...the tins sank to the bottom and the water slowly leaked in and the resultant gas in the inner tin built up pressure 'til it blew the tin and killed or stunned nearby fish.

They banned carbide here as drunks has a habit of not pulling the inner carbide tin out of the water and extinguishing the flame, instead the flame would blow/peter out and the carbide being still in contact with water would continue to produce gas in an enclosed space occupied by a sleeping occupant.

That and fire risk from a naked flame...great fun for a young lad when dropped in a puddle of water as it was very entertaining.
How many of you remember Sputnik?
Posted By: deflave Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Imagine the kids that are growing up with backup cameras trying to hook up without one.

LOL

That gonna be awkward.
Posted By: johnw Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Good one.

I remember when there weren't any as well.

Right after the 9/11 terror attacks.

The skies were eerily quiet.

laugh My goofiest sister in law stuck in Houston... Too bad that had to end
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21

Oh yes!!! 100%.

Oh heck, I can't send a plate to the sink without wiping it up with a piece of bread.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

And brown paper bags.

Which I still use for my bacon.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And brown paper bags.

We always get the frozen items placed in brown bags.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Pay toilets, and not a penny to my name.

My buddy's dad, Ace (God bless the character he was) used to joke about being poor.

"If it cost a nickel to schiedt.....................I'd have to throw up"
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And brown paper bags.

& mushroom storage !!
Posted By: coobie Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
TV dinners were great..
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
folks under 40 have no concept of what life was like before we all had computers and smart phones
When it was safe to pick up hitch hikers.

Wabigoon calls those his “Hand job years.”

He been praying ever since.

LOL
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
folks under 40 have no concept of what life was like before we all had computers and smart phones

I’d wager you ain’t started a lot of tractors with a hand crank.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

We had a John Deer A,B,and H that you had to spin the flywheel to start them!
Mom's family were like the Waltons in that they were quite well off, but there was very little cash available for extras. My father in law said that they never went hungry, but cash even for repairs was hard to come by.
During the depression, my grandparents lost a farm just for that reason. They had good crops but it was all barter. There was no cash available. When the $200 mortgage came due, they couldn't sell their crops for enough cash to pay it. The banks weren't reasonable. They caused it all in the 1st place.

It was also the reason that criminals like Bonnie and Clyde had lots of sympathy and help. They were hitting the banks that were causing people the misery. If they hadn't had a habit of killing cops, they would have had a lot more sympathy and quite possibly would have never got caught.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
During the depression, my grandparents lost a farm just for that reason. They had good crops but it was all barter. There was no cash available. When the $200 mortgage came due, they couldn't sell their crops for enough cash to pay it. The banks weren't reasonable. They caused it all in the 1st place.

That’s called being dead broke.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Whelenman

LOL

Beat me to it!!
Posted By: Cretch Re: Way, way back... - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by Whelenman

LOL

Yup, had the same. An "A" & "H". Spinning tool looked like a steering wheel. The "H" is still in the family. My sister & BIL have it. BIL restored it.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Before drones were used to climb trees with cameras too get the picture
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Who remembers multiplication tables?

Encyclopedia salesmen?

Seltzer delivery, like milk delivery.

Homemade egg cream sodas.

When the family insurance guy came to the house to update the policies?

Buckles on galoshes?

Pegs that slipped through a loop to hold your winter jacket closed? (easy to use with mittens on)
Posted By: EdM Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Fortran 4 punch cards circa 1980. More than once I spelled something wrong early on, my name included, just to have them kicked back and hours of rerun.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Well good folks, I was born late in 1943!
Posted By: pullit Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
when staying at a hotel you looked for "Air Conditioned Rooms" on the sign
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Slide Rules
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by EdM
Fortran 4 punch cards circa 1980. More than once I spelled something wrong early on, my name included, just to have them kicked back and hours of rerun.

Computer Science and Fortran punch cards in ‘72 🤬. I think we got one run on the school (Ole Miss) computer a day. One comma, a period, or space out of place and the computer would spit it out. Dammit! If the mistake wasn’t bad enough to get spit out, one wrong entry and you could end up with a five inch stack of paper print outs with one number on each sheet. That was probably THE most frustrating courses I took as a required course for ROTC. I think I got a B out of the course but, most importantly, I learned how stupid computers are.
Posted By: deflave Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by pullit
when staying at a hotel you looked for "Air Conditioned Rooms" on the sign

They still got those in Montana. LOL

And don't forget "Free ESPN."
Posted By: Steve Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by mark shubert

¢
Air mail stamps, onion skin paper?
Posted By: EdM Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by EdM

Computer Science and Fortran punch cards in ‘72 🤬. I think we got one run on the school (Ole Miss) computer a day. One comma, a period, or space out of place and the computer would spit it out. Dammit! If the mistake wasn’t bad enough to get spit out, one wrong entry and you could end up with a five inch stack of paper print outs with one number on each sheet. That was probably THE most frustrating courses I took as a required course for ROTC. I think I got a B out of the course but, most importantly, I learned how stupid computers are.

I eventually rented a terminal with a modem (seat the phone in the rubber holder and dial out with R2D2 sounds) that sat on my handloading bench in my bedroom. Well worth $20/month than deal with lines in the library.
Posted By: RoadRunner65 Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dittos to the "clean your plate" adage from Depression parents. And I still cannot bring myself to throw food away willingly.

My come back for that was "oh yeah... name 3 of them" I think i was in a coma for a couple days...
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Black and white TV 3 channels, no ac, record players, cartoons Saturday mornings.
Posted By: blanket Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Archie was the insurance man that stopped by to collect and doctor Carlson made House calls. Had coal delivered and unloaded down the chute to the coal room. Grandparents got electricity on the farm in the sixties, party line soon followed.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21

LOL

My dad would start the two old Vauxhall sedans we had with a hand crank while mom worked the choke. The front doors opened backwards, for turn signals these little arms flipped out from near the door posts. I do recall the seats,?old cracked leather, still seemed a luxury.

I don’t suppose anyone here watched the 1966 World Cup. England vs. West Germany at Wembley Stadium. England won 4-2 in overtime and the whole country was out in the streets celebrating.

‘69, we had to stay up ‘till the early hours of the morning to watch Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.
[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6a3fck0NBI[/img]
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21

We still only have 2 genders.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
My Dad's Father and Mom had an outhouse in their back yard.

This was in the city and i remember helping dig the trench for the sewer hook up to city sewer.

Had to flower the outhouse hole with quick lime every so often.

The new restroom was built on the back porch and you had to go out the back door to get in.

Had no water heater so it was heated on the stove then hauled out.

Before that showers were done in a #10 washtub in the back yard in summer,in winter was done in the kitchen.

Life was nice back then.
Had one in the yard,bag of lime in the corner
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21

Wabigoon calls those his “Hand job years.”

He been praying ever since.

LOL

Just about lost my tater tots on this one!
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
How about sharing the same bath water?
Originally Posted by HitnRun
How about sharing the same bath water?
yes women and girls first, then boys then men
Posted By: pullit Re: Way, way back... - 12/03/21
Pay phones
Hospital ward rooms
polishing shoes
TV and radio tube tester at the local drug stores.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Way, way back... - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Black and white TV 3 channels, no ac, record players, cartoons Saturday mornings.

3 channels plus the one from Tijuana, which we thought cool as we could watch bullfights live and JaiAlai too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Way, way back... - 12/04/21
Just saw an ad for Delaware Punch, on an archived Mexican film of all places. (Apparently hard to find nowadays, maybe in Houston according the Internet?)

Lux soap flakes.
© 24hourcampfire