Home
Posted By: elkmtb Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Who here flashes their lights for cars coming the other direction approaching a popo speed trap?

Seems very few do it anymore. Used to when I did it people would wave in thanks. Now I’m not sure most people know what it means.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by elkmtb
Now I’m not sure most people know what it means.

This ^ ^ ^

I don't bother any more.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
With the waze app, they knew the cop was there long before you passed them.
Posted By: memtb Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Who here flashes their lights for cars coming the other direction approaching a popo speed trap?

Seems very few do it anymore. Used to when I did it people would wave in thanks. Now I’m not sure most people know what it means.

I do.....and it’s still a fairly common practice up here! memtb
Posted By: EdM Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Always.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I vaguely remember some years ago reading about somebody actually getting criminally charged for doing this. The cops claimed that they were "interfering with a police operation" or some such BS. I don't remember how it turned out.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I usually just go the speed limit and pay attention to the posted limit

Crazy.....
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
If someone behind me want to pass, I'll give the lefthand blinker one blink to let them know, I'm slowing down, and pulling over.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Always have done it.
If the oncoming vehicle don't know what it means they will soon enough.
Still a lot of folks that do it around here
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If someone behind me want to pass, I'll give the lefthand blinker one blink to let them know, I'm slowing down, and pulling over.

Slowed down to turn left off the road into my cabin a few years ago. Guy behind, sped up around a smashed into the side of me. Told me afterwards he thought I'd put on my signal to tell him to pass. Stupidest thing I'd ever heard at the time, but apparently it's really a thing?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Do it all the time

Fouck the poleece

I’ll toss out roofing nails where they set up radar too

Go solve some real crimes
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Used to. Don't see much in the way of speed traps around here.

The last time I flashed was to slow the other driver, but it was because there were deer all over the road and he was just about to discover them.
With modern radar, it's on a roll. they do get you coming, and going!
Posted By: fshaw Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Every time.
Posted By: Deans Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Still do.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Around here, people will flash their lights at you if you're coming up on a wreck, or something else in the road.

I actually don't see "speed traps" much anymore.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do it always!
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Damn right I do even though I'm very vocal about backing the blue.

I just don't care for speed traps. Bastards.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Yep, but not for cars like a Prius, Tesla, or anything [bleep] Subaru.

😆
Posted By: 19rabbit52 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I did it today.
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I don't. Maybe the cops are waiting on a blue Kia with a 7 year old that was just kidnapped and shoved in the trunk.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I am convinced traffic control officers main priority is generating revenue for the state. To do that they contiously play a game of cat and mouse with drivers, especially truck drivers. They get upset when they get outsmarted or exposed.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Nope

Way too busy texting or watchin stuff on my phone
That said, I had a county deputy flash his lights at me a few months ago. A mile up the road there was a state trooper running radar.

Even the county boys hate the troopers.
Posted By: kingston Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21

I'm waiting in anxious anticipation for the rest of the key to your signal light language.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do
laugh The old, hand signals. as in, a woman drying her nail polish.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Nope. If that sunnabeach is speeding, I'll just laugh my balls off hoping he gets a humunguous fine. Same thing when some bastid whips around me doing 30+ over the limit and I see him later pulled over.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Just did the other day. Very common here.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Stophel
I vaguely remember some years ago reading about somebody actually getting criminally charged for doing this. The cops claimed that they were "interfering with a police operation" or some such BS. I don't remember how it turned out.

It went thru the courts and final decision was it was legal as it was a category of “freedom of speech”.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Yep , do it all the time or for obstructions . Stopped after getting out of a construction area to get a 2x4 with nails out of the road .pisses me off to see them trying to bust somebodies balls going to work .
Kenneth
Posted By: antlers Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I still do it.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

The last time I flashed was to slow the other driver, but it was because there were deer all over the road and he was just about to discover them.

Same here Shane, I was gonna type the same reply until I saw your post.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Yep, around here flashing your lights because deer are in the road or are at the edge ready to cross happens a couple of time a week in the spring and fall in my area.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Deer have been thick in the ditches all year around here.

Extra water draining off the highway made for the greenest grass in the country.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Pat85
With the waze app, they knew the cop was there long before you passed them.

yep that was my first thought.

Not only has waze kept me from being in traffic jams but is probably kept me from getting at least 2 tickets
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
One of our resident coppers will be along shortly to tell you the dangers of conspiracy to commit tax evasion. 😁
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I try and warn folks .

Near the middle school in Ocean Springs, Ms. I had just passed a cop shooting radar at oncoming vehicles, quarter mile or more up the road I was slowing down to cross some rough railroad tracks . Another cop [oncoming] was doing the same - I flashed my lights at him then as we met at the tracks I did my fingers like Rollers - there's a cop down there . He shook with a scowl on his face and rolled his eyes -but I know he thought that was funny .
Posted By: ring3 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Still do but don’t think as many understand what doing so means. Rarely do I see someone warning me anymore.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
If I see an obvious speed trap, or run through some kind of surprise or danger, like a fleet of deer, I will give three flashes out to about a mile but that's about the length of an attention span for even the most alert. However, really bad dangers, I blink the four-ways and the "down" signal. It's just courtesy. I have been "warned" myself and appreciate the effort.

I'll also flash the occasional heavy-hauler trying to merge or finish a pass, I'll even encourage faster drivers (not many) to pass just so they can run "interference" for me up ahead. THAT has been a time and money-saver, you bet. On the flip side, I never let anyone magnet-@$$ me for more than a couple of miles.
Posted By: 5spd Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I always flash my lights......but only to let the passing semi trucks know they are safe to pull back over in front of me.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21

I do.

As if someone would know WTH that one blink meant?
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Yep , do it all the time or for obstructions . Stopped after getting out of a construction area to get a 2x4 with nails out of the road .pisses me off to see them trying to bust somebodies balls going to work .
Kenneth

This. Working to pay their income, hospitalization and retirement.
Deer have been thick in the ditches all year around here.

Extra water draining off the highway made for the greenest grass in the country.

Thats what cow catchers are for. Free venison. wink
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do it. Flashed my lights at an oncoming to warn him. SOB turned on his red-and-blues for a sec or 2 and kept on a goin'.

I laughed, my wife laughed, we're sure the po-po laughed, too.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by 45_100
I am convinced traffic control officers main priority is generating revenue for the state. To do that they contiously play a game of cat and mouse with drivers, especially truck drivers. They get upset when they get outsmarted or exposed.

Duh
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
If I see an obvious speed trap, or run through some kind of surprise or danger, like a fleet of deer, I will give three flashes out to about a mile but that's about the length of an attention span for even the most alert. However, really bad dangers, I blink the four-ways and the "down" signal. It's just courtesy. I have been "warned" myself and appreciate the effort.

I'll also flash the occasional heavy-hauler trying to merge or finish a pass, I'll even encourage faster drivers (not many) to pass just so they can run "interference" for me up ahead. THAT has been a time and money-saver, you bet. On the flip side, I never let anyone magnet-@$$ me for more than a couple of miles.

I always try to get behind a rabbit.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I thought it was going to be a Rodney Carrington show them to me thread
Posted By: reivertom Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21

I do, and I never dismiss people that do it for me. It saved my life once when a drunk was on the wrong side of Interstate 64 West. A fellow was on the Eastbound side warning folks on the Westbound side ahead of the idiot drunk.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx

No kidding! Who makes up this schit?

Another dumb idea I'm seeing more and more of around here is somebody putting on their turn signal when the car in front of them has their turn signal on. After the first vehicle turns the next one turns his off. I guess they think it's cute to pass it down the line. It's just stupid if you ask me, now I don't know who the hell is turning.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Nestucca
I thought it was going to be a Rodney Carrington show them to me thread

Likewise.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]betta fish dying symptoms
Posted By: MadTrapper375 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Crazy.....

Unless your on your way to Gruff's house for a Shrimpin' party, then it's cherries and berries the whole way! God help little Johnny if he out riding around on his scooter.
Not many outside the box thinkers here.
Posted By: chudly Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by 5spd
I always flash my lights......but only to let the passing semi trucks know they are safe to pull back over in front of me.

Ditto, need to help those guys out .
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do it. A few still do it here.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

I always try to get behind a rabbit.

During my motorcycle period we called em pigeons.

Once heading north on 54 out of El Paso I was behind such a driver going PDF (pretty darn fast). New Mexico Trooper coming the other way turned on the ol’ red and blues. I started to pull over but he waved me off and went after the pigeon.

To this day if I’m speeding, it’s usually behind someone.
Posted By: killerv Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do, especially when the cops are setup in a sneaky place. We have a little speed trap where it goes from 65 to 55 out on a highway we hunt off of. Cops always sitting right there bustin people forgetting to get back down to 55. Plus theyll be parked in the median with their lights off earlier in the AM.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Another dumb idea I'm seeing more and more of around here is somebody putting on their turn signal when the car in front of them has their turn signal on. After the first vehicle turns the next one turns his off. I guess they think it's cute to pass it down the line. It's just stupid if you ask me, now I don't know who the hell is turning.

Never heard of this.

Makes sense to me, a harmless gesture that could keep you from getting hit from behind, or maybe keep some idiot from trying to pass.
Posted By: killerv Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Never heard of this.

Makes sense to me, a harmless gesture that could keep you from getting hit from behind, or maybe keep some idiot from trying to pass.

My mom does it and then wonders why she gets honked at. Your turn signal is for turning, not not turning.
Posted By: pullit Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
I do or when there is a wreck or some other thing in the road ahead.
Guy flashed his lights at me last night, dark rainy road and some dumb butt was riding a lawnmower in the middle of my lane about a half mile up the road. No lights, dressed in dark coat. Glad he did because I slowed down and was looking for something. I was within 50 yards of him before I saw him.
Posted By: CRS Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21

I do this for deer also. I will also try to warn if there is an issue on the road, accident etc.
Have never heard of, or done the flashing thing for cops though.

In Zambia when driving to the hunting area, the left turn signal for OK to pass, and right for do not pass was common. I had never seen it and had to ask what the vehicles in front of us were doing.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
A "courtesy" left blinker in a stopped line of cars was common back in Illinois when I started driving 60 years ago. Haven't seen it since, really. It's not a good idea because there's no way for anyone behind you to know if it's a "relay" or a real turn signal. That's doubly true for an "okay to pass" blinker. If I came up behind with an overtake speed and saw a left blinker, I'd instantly brake, thinking that car is going to slow and turn. If I assumed it was an okay to pass signal and he DID slow and turn, I'd plow right into him. Stupid idea.
Posted By: RL Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Crazy.....

Well - pin a rose on your nose.
Originally Posted by pullit
I do or when there is a wreck or some other thing in the road ahead.
Guy flashed his lights at me last night, dark rainy road and some dumb butt was riding a lawnmower in the middle of my lane about a half mile up the road. No lights, dressed in dark coat. Glad he did because I slowed down and was looking for something. I was within 50 yards of him before I saw him.

That would have gotten a 911 call from me.

I dont mind drunk dimpcraps dying but a riding lawnmower can mess up some innocents truck.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx

No kidding! Who makes up this schit?

Would have appreciated the car in front of me giving that warning signal a few days ago .
Was comming down a dual lane hiway and a car in front of me was going slow in the right lane , I gave signal , moved to left lane and holy shiet ! A shiet bird in a little car turns left as I got to the slow cars rear , crammed the brakes , [bleep] doesn’t accelerate , barely missed a serious Pitt removal we all wouldn’t have forgotten in a spell .
As I looked in my mirror the slow car is now turning behind him , WTF ?
Kenneth
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Never heard of this.

The problem is it’s not harmless. Signals have a meaning and for the most part they’re standardized across the US. If someone has a turn signal on it means “this car is about to turn”, not “a car in front of me is about to turn” or “ it’s safe to pass”. You may think your meaning is perfectly clear but others around you now don’t know what you intend to do. Eventually the signals become meaningless because everybody is making up their own stuff.

Just stick to the stuff you were taught in drivers Ed so others know what you’re doing.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Flashing ‘em - 12/07/21
Same thing with idiots who get to a stop sign first and don’t go because they want to be nice and let you go. There is a right of way and it should be followed.

4 way flashing red lights at a busy intersection is a cluster in the city because half want to go when it’s not thier turn and the other half won’t go on time.
© 24hourcampfire