Home
Posted By: Pharmseller How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Planning on my Sunday “cheat day” and I’m gonna make biscuits and gravy. I’ll buy some bulk pork sausage at Safeway but I need a great gravy recipe. Be advised I like my gravy thick but not spicy hot.

Help a brother out.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Pioneer gravy mix?
I wing it, no recipe.
Its a one to one ratio flour to grease. Cook the mixture down until your roux smells like gravy. Add liquid as you stir. Add more liquid than you think.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
1 pk of jimmy dean sausage

Brown in skillet, after browning sausage, stir in approx 1/4 cup of flour . Pour 2.5 cups of milk in........slowly and stir while simmering. Add course black pepper to taste. Recipe was found online, not mine.
Posted By: antlers Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
1 lb. Breakfast Sausage
1 pkg. Pioneer Country Gravy Mix

Crumble the sausage and cook it in a skillet.
Prepare the Pioneer Country Gravy Mix to package instructions.
Add the cooked, crumbled sausage to the prepared gravy.
Originally Posted by antlers
1 lb. Breakfast Sausage
1 pkg. Pioneer Country Gravy Mix

Crumble the sausage and cook it in a skillet.
Prepare the Pioneer Country Gravy Mix to package instructions.
Add the cooked, crumbled sausage to the prepared gravy.

You didn’t.
Iron skillet, half pound of sausage, brown sausage in skillet, stir in 1/2 cup of flour, salt and pepper to taste, stir until flour is cooked. Stir in milk, about 3/4 skillet full. A fork works well. Keep stirring until mixture begins to bubble. Turn off heat. If you do it right, the biscuits are done at the same time, and its time to eat. Some fried eggs and good bacon finish it nicely...

You can add more milk if needed to get your desired consistency, but if you get it too thin, you just have to let it cook. Makes for a lot of stirring. You can mix a little more flour with cold water and thicken it, but that is a thing to be avoided if at all possible.

I eat this all the time, still in no danger of becoming your customer....😂
Use cheap bulk sausage with lots of fat. Brown a pound of it in a cast iron skillet and scoop most of the meat out to a separate container. If there's not enough grease rendered out of the sausage, add a little vegetable oil or lard to the skillet. Mix all purpose flour and milk to form a thin paste. Add the milk/flour mix to the hot grease slowly, stirring with a whisk to avoid forming lumps. Cook at medium/high heat until the gravy thickens, then add the meat back into the gravy and blend well. Season to taste with coarse ground pepper and kosher salt.

Serve over home-made cat-head biscuits. Enjoy.
Posted By: antlers Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
I like the Pioneer Peppered Gravy Mix even better.
Never been much of a recipe guy but I like to cook the sausage, remove and leave all the grease I can, then fry bacon in the same pan and make the roux out of that grease, add milk when the roux is browned. Add the sausage back when done.
Posted By: mathman Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Some of these recipes read like greasy glue, not gravy.
Originally Posted by Esox357

Brown in skillet, after browning sausage, stir in approx 1/4 cup of flour . Pour 2.5 cups of milk in........slowly and stir while simmering. Add course black pepper to taste. Recipe was found online, not mine.

Me too, except I add 2 cups of milk istead of 2.5.
Brown 1lb sausage. Add 1/4 cup flour. Stir in and let flour brown for 1-2min max. Add 1 can evaporated milk and 2 cups whole milk. Bring to an easy boil on med high stirring constantly. Keep scraping bottom golf skillet. Stir, stir, stir. Let it bubble hard for 2-3 min. Til it starts to thicken. Turn heat down to med low, add salt and black pepper to taste and keep stirring constantly. 4-5 minutes or so and you are golden. Serve over hot biscuits or toast. Easy peasy. Don’t let it sit and cook, scrape the bottom and stir the whole time.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21

That is basically what I do. There's no need to remove the sausage the fat keeps the flour from forming lumps. Stir it till the flour starts to brown then add the milk. Don't add all the liquid at once till you see how it thickens.
Originally Posted by NVhntr

That is basically what I do. There's no need to remove the sausage the fat keeps the flour from forming lumps. Stir it till the flour starts to brown then add the milk. Don't add all the liquid at once till you see how it thickens.

That's how to arrive at a cooked roux and avoid making glue.
I use homemade sausage we season with A.C. Legg blend #10 pork sausage seasoning. Gores is awesome and if you’re in NC get some Bass farms sausage.
You gotta cook your roux.

Sometimes it will separate if you dont.
Jimmy Dean is for the unwashed masses. Fugkin last thing in the world I want to injest.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You gotta cook your roux.

Sometimes it will separate if you dont.

Yep. Add the milk too soon and it's Elmer's glue for breakfast.
All good, but sausage gravy is best if you start with a "slurry"...flour and milk whisked together with the raw sausage crumbled into it. Salt and pepper to taste after thickening.
Posted By: rainshot Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Use about 2-3 Tbs bacon grease. 2tbs flour to iron skillet. Salt & pepper to taste. Brown flour storing over medium heat. Turn up heat and add water a little at a time stiring. Add cooked sausage crumbled. Make it sorta thin (watery) it will thicken.
Use more grease than flour. Biscuits, eggs, hash browns.
Coffee…..
Originally Posted by ltppowell
All good, but sausage gravy is best if you start with a "slurry"...flour and milk whisked together with the raw sausage crumbled into it. Salt and pepper to taste after thickening.

Originally Posted by rainshot
Use about 2-3 Tbs bacon grease. 2tbs flour to iron skillet. Salt & pepper to taste. Brown flour storing over medium heat. Turn up heat and add water a little at a time stiring. Add cooked sausage crumbled. Make it sorta thin (watery) it will thicken.
Use more grease than flour. Biscuits, eggs, hash browns.
Coffee…..

No, and HELL no. No sausage gravy in the world is made with water. JFC……
Posted By: slumlord Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
LOL

fat drippins, flour and mrlk
🤣
Posted By: rainshot Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
You can make it with milk if you want but water is what I like.,
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
If you have to have a package and instructions to make gravy, you may as well go to Denny’s 😂
Posted By: byron Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21

The only change I would make is to dust the top of the gravy with poultry seasoning instead of using pepper.
Brown 1/2 pound of sausage and 1/4 pound of chopped bacon until all fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Remove meat and add 1/2 cup of flour to drippings and whisk until a light roux forms. Don't brown it too much. Return meat to roux and add 4 cups of whole milk--skim and 2% need not apply--and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, or as close to it as you can stand. Add sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste while still simmering. Lots of pepper is good but you said you don't want it too spicy.

Voila.

If you don't like the idea of bacon in the gravy use 3/4 pound of sausage. But you should at least brown it in bacon drippings for best flavor. This recipe is mine and I've made it hundreds of times.
P.S. Serves 3 people or 2 really hungry people, so scale accordingly.
Nothing is simpler. I just tell my wife I'd like some sausage gravy and biscuits and a little while later, voila, I have sausage gravy and biscuits.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Brown 1/2 pound of sausage and 1/4 pound of chopped bacon until all fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Remove meat and add 1/2 cup of flour to drippings and whisk until a light roux forms. Don't brown it too much. Return meat to roux and add 4 cups of whole milk--skim and 2% need not apply--and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, or as close to it as you can stand. Add sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste while still simmering. Lots of pepper is good but you said you don't want it too spicy.

Voila.

If you don't like the idea of bacon in the gravy use 3/4 pound of sausage. But you should at least brown it in bacon drippings for best flavor. This recipe is mine and I've made it hundreds of times.

That’s basically what I do but with whole sliced bacon. Just eat it on the side. Lot of pepper,
Skip the sausage and make it with bacon. As Slummy said, fat drippings, flour and milk.

Fry the bacon & take it out of the pan. Spoon off most of the grease leaving about two tablespoons of grease and the residue. Over medium heat gently stir in a couple of tablespoons of flour, stirring the whole time and brown the roux for a few minutes then start stirring in milk until it's the proper consistency and cook for a bit.

I learned it from my grandmother and mom so I don't know exact amounts or times, I just do it by feel and add stuff until it looks right so my portions and times are probably off a good bit. Forget the sausage though, that belongs on the side. Sausage in gravy is just a crutch to fix bad gravy.
Not much easier.

Fry up some bacon. Remove and eat.
Fry up breakfast sausage in the bacon grease. Add flour about equal to your volume of grease. Whisk until your roux is smooth and bubblin’.

Add 1/2&1/2, whisking in on low heat. Let it come to a simmer and keep adding a bit until your desired consistency.

Season with S&P and cayenne to taste.
Posted By: KC Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Pioneer gravy mix?

This is my answer also. Put a little less water in it, to thicken it up.

Posted By: ingwe Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Planning on my Sunday “cheat day” and I’m gonna make biscuits and gravy. I’ll buy some bulk pork sausage at Safeway but I need a great gravy recipe. Be advised I like my gravy thick but not spicy hot.

Help a brother out.

I make sure theres lots of sausage grease in the pan and I use gravy mix in place of plain flour when I get to stirring the milk in...the grease is the key though.
Posted By: gunzo Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Bacon or bacon grease in sausage gravy, blasphemy. Save the bacon parts for bacon gravy. shocked

Cast iron skillet mandatory for standout flavor.

Rue must be slightly browned without burning. None of that cracker white or watery opaque stuff.

Speaking of water, it should never be near sausage gravy until it's time to wipe out the skillet.

A small, very small pat of butter will keep the gravy from skimming over if it sets. But gravy skim is pretty robust & some prefer it.
It's roux.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Nothing is simpler. I just tell my wife I'd like some sausage gravy and biscuits and a little while later, voila, I have sausage gravy and biscuits.

You misspelled husband w I f e you dumbfugk
Originally Posted by mathman
It's roux.

Deauxn’t confuse ‘em.
Sausage, flour, milk, salt and pepper.
No water, no bacon, no cayenne, no remove the meat etc… probably the simplest thing in the world to make and you retards are making it complex.

Stick to poptarts and Capt. Crunch.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
No water, no bacon, no cayenne, no remove the meat etc… probably the simplest thing in the world to make and you retards are making it complex.

I use a little garlic powder, bitch.
Little garlic powder is a nice touch.

I’ve taken to Montreal Steak seasoning on fried taters for breakfast.
Posted By: ingwe Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by mathman
It's roux.

Deauxn’t confuse ‘em.

laugh
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Hold into the mango chutney. Sheesh!
No need to remove sausage after browning it. Add the flour and mix in with the meat and cook for a few minutes before adding milk. Use Lawrys seasoned salt and plenty of pepper.
Biscuits on plate first, covet with gravy, then cover the gravy with 2-3 over easy or sunny side up fried eggs.
Posted By: blanket Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
S cum lord finally has the answer
Lol
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Hold into the mango chutney. Sheesh!

Hah!
Posted By: g5m Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Tag.
Everything's better with bacon.

Cast iron is a given.
Posted By: Scotty Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Sounds good, making me hungry.
I cook the (cheap) sausage, remove from pan, add flour to soak up the grease and brown the flour. I prefer dark gravy. You can brown as dark or as light to your taste. When the flour is browning, add salt and pepper, stirring often to get a uniform color to the flour. When ready, add the sausage back in then add milk and water stirring to prevent lumps. Keep adding liquid until you get the desired thickness. I like a few dashes of Texas Pete and a cup of coffee added to mine.
Posted By: pullit Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Like everyone else said, cook your sausage, remove it from pan, stir in flour and make a roex, salt and pepper to taste, add milk and break up or chop up your sausage and add to the mix. I never measured anything, just eye ball till it looks right.
Posted By: joken2 Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Pioneer gravy mix?

This is my answer also. Put a little less water in it, to thicken it up.

^^^ This ^^^

I crumble up 2 or 3 already cooked sausage patties and add it along with a pretty healthy dose of extra sage and black pepper when the gravy first starts to boil.

Pour over 4 biscuits (big biscuits not the small ones) torn into bite size pieces.

(Pioneer gravy mix is sold in two different size packages -- one makes 2 cups of gravy, the other makes 4 cups -- I use the 2 cup size when it's just me)

Edit : Also, Pioneer brand gravy mix comes in several flavors / types ... I always use the one that says "Sausage" flavor on the front of package.

If you guys want to improve your recipes, swap the milk for half and half….
Same with all “milk” gravy recipes….
Posted By: krp Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
You have to have enough liquid grease to make a roux, and then the more you 'burn' the roux the more taste you have, get it brown. You need enough grease to make the flour like pancake batter to brown. Usually 4 or 5 pieces of bacon will give enough for 2 heaping table spoons of floor. Sausage doesn't give up enough grease by itself, neither does venison, so you need to add bacon grease, veg oil or lard to make the roux.

Obviously you can just make the bland white gravy like in a restaurant, but that's not grandma's or the old camp hand's gravy.

This morning bacon gravy.

Thought I got a picture of the roux browned but I didn't, lots of pepper and salt, the old hands on camp called it pepper gravy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: coobie Re: How to make sausage gravy - 12/07/21
1 LB. bob evans breakfast sausage 1/4 cup flour diced onions,1/2 teaspoon garlic,pepper. 2 cups milk.
© 24hourcampfire