Home
Posted By: Cross Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
I can shop around and find lots of 6.5, 270, 308, and 338 bullets but 7mm bullets are thin on the ground. Look around at your various online retailers and check it out if you don't believe me but 7mms bullets (not ammo) are very hard to find. What's the deal? I understand that there are shortages right now but can't a bullet maker whose busily cranking out 6.5s and 308's hit the pause button for a second and spool up for 7mm's? Not Hornady. Not Nosler. Not Berger. Not Sierra. Not Swift. Not anybody!

I'm thinking about calling Colin Kaepernick and asking him to take a knee for the .284 guys who are being oppressed beyond all others in this 'supposedly free' society to bring attention to our plight.

What gives?

Cross
I have them….😊
I think in the "big picture" .284"/7mm s aren't as big in the demand as we might think they are or should be.
Posted By: bcp Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
Ammunition factories are running 25/8/370. Shops aren't getting any because the distributors don't have it, so it can't be hoarders and new gun owners buying it all.

I think it is going to the same place missing socks go to, or the thing you set down, but now you can't find it, and you haven't moved.

Bruce
They are getting picked up as fast as they are made. It might surprise some, there are way more 7mm rifles than 6.5 or .338. Maybe not as popular today, but they been around long enough, and popular for a hundred plus years. Just my two cents.
In my basement
Bought up as soon as they’re made I would imagine. I have about 800, and I haven’t even fired my 7mm since 1995.
7mm and 308 diameter should be the only boolits being produced.

Am down to my last 8 boxes....
Posted By: slm9s Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
Brunos has several 7mm options in stock
Gunbroker
...No... I've Got Em....
I’ve got more than I could ever shoot.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I’ve got more than I could ever shoot.

👍👍
Stocked up when LBJ was president.
My son in law lives in Minnesota. He has a friend that works for Federal, being located in Minnesota, and according to him they have machines sitting idle. I've smelled a rat through all of this. If you knew how much income these companies depended on from the federal government it might be enlightening.
I received an order from Sierra a couple weeks ago.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Sorry to hear that. LOL. I guess they would be better than no bullets at all.
Originally Posted by Jim1611
My son in law lives in Minnesota. He has a friend that works for Federal, being located in Minnesota, and according to him they have machines sitting idle. I've smelled a rat through all of this. If you knew how much income these companies depended on from the federal government it might be enlightening.

With all the help wanted signs out I'd bet finding people good enough to run machines on important stuff rather than flipping burgers is almost impossible too. And from what I"m hearing, lead, copper, you name it, its all hard to find.

I keep saving 22 cases. Never have bought the dies or lead to make 224 bullets. Or the press. Maybe the future is we should buy a press. Dies., Buckets of jackets and pounds of lead. Just in case. I'm big on just in case.

Just wished it was feasible to make priming compound and powder safely.

Don't feel as dumb these days for buying that 200 pound keg of powder in the 90s though.
Originally Posted by rost495

Best bullets….ever..
Posted By: TimZ Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
If you find where they are hiding the cream cheese you'll probably find the 7 MM........
Posted By: papat Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
I got a few...
according to him they have machines sitting idle. I've smelled a rat through all of this.

The company I work for has lines sitting idle as well.

1. Can't get manpower to run our lines (and we are a top wage plant in the area, they're even throwing $10/hour bonus pay on top of time and half and double time pay for guys to volunteer for weekend shifts, $43/hour and $54/hour to load some cardboard blanks in a casepacker.

2. Can't get raw materials in to supply our lines.

3. Down the supply chain, the product our product goes into, can't get manpower and/or materials for their finished product.

I have contractor buddies that do work for a sausage/lunch meat plant in another state. They have the same issue. Their plant manager said since the 'legal' weed shops have popped up, they can't hire anybody that can pass a drug test, on top of not having raw materials to work with.

Lot more to it than a conspiracy theory of just letting lines sit idle.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
according to him they have machines sitting idle. I've smelled a rat through all of this.

1. Can't get manpower to run our lines (and we are a top wage plant in the area, they're even throwing $10/hour bonus pay on top of time and half and double time pay for guys to volunteer for weekend shifts, $43/hour and $54/hour to load some cardboard blanks in a casepacker.

3. Down the supply chain, the product our product goes into, can't get manpower and/or materials for their finished product.

I have contractor buddies that do work for a sausage/lunch meat plant in another state. They have the same issue. Their plant manager said since the 'legal' weed shops have popped up, they can't hire anybody that can pass a drug test, on top of not having raw materials to work with.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think it's a well laid out plan that's been in the making for years. Some people with foresight have predicted another way to take away gun ownership is to cut off ammo supplies. In Missouri a few years ago one of the few remaining lead mines was closed. We have to depend on most of our powder from foreign sources. Then the shortage of people that are smart enough to work and will has been attacked. As Rush used to so aptly call it, "the dumbing down of America". As you mentioned the pot stores being part of the problem. None of this has been off the cuff actions. It's all been well thought through.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have them….😊

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by slumlord
Stocked up when LBJ was president.

LOL.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
Wow.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]I’m doing pretty good here. I like the old Nosler Solid Base Boat Tails in the 100 packs.

Attached picture D60DC975-DBFE-487F-B426-6A76CC15A6A8.jpeg
Cross's reloading machine is sitting idle, too. Why doesn't he crank his up?

ps: It's for the same reason.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have them….😊

[Linked Image]

Those are collectable antiques
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have them….😊

[Linked Image]

Those are collectable antiques

LOL. I guess they are.
I've not found any 7mm bullets either but finding plenty of .284
There are not plenty of anything around here. About all I see are a few .30cal Target bullets that run $0.80 each. Would love to find some 140gr SST's in 6.5mm.

Correction - I just ordered 500 6.5mm 140gr SST's from Midway. Unfortunately very few 7mm bullets.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
Me also.

We threw all of our eggs into the China basket and look where we are today. You can bet this was no accident by the CCP or the complicit democRATs. Anything to destroy America even if it kills thousands of innocent Chinese and Americans in the process. None of this is an accident.

For the record, under no circumstances do I support decriminalized marijuana. We have accepted the vice of decriminalized alcohol. (yes, I imbibe) Just how many mind altering substances do or should we allow ?? I see marijuana as just another false god.

We have the chance to correct some if this in November. Will conservatives and republicans do it ?? I have my doubts.

kwg
6 mm bullets can't be found around here either. I wanted some for my buddy's kid, because he could not get ammo. So I got him some dies, but I could not get bullets. No big deal because he had enough to have a good deer season, but it is a shame to live like this.
Now we are focusing on flintlock season, and thankfully we are squared up on those needs. So I'll look for the good, and I won't let those A-holes stop the fun.
Posted By: tzone Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
I'm pretty sure I have them.
Ammunition and reloading supplies have been in short supply since Obama came into power in 2008. Anyone who doesn't buy what they use when they find it (especially when it is on sale), is mentally deficient. I'm not talking about hoarding, just grabbing a box or two before you actually run out. Do this and you're never asking stupid questions with exclamation marks.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Ammunition and reloading supplies have been in short supply since Obama came into power in 2008. Anyone who doesn't buy what they use when they find it (especially when it is on sale), is mentally deficient. I'm not talking about hoarding, just grabbing a box or two before you actually run out. Do this and you're never asking stupid questions with exclamation marks.

These days if I can't find 1000 bullets for a new gun, I"ll buy what I can. And next time buy a couple boxes etc... its the only way one can keep up. And there are bumps in there. Like if you want powder, pay attention, now and then you can get 30-50 pounds and have it shipped. Whatever that cutoff is for reasonable shipping. To buy 1 pound or one box of bullets at a time is nuts, but its the way it is often and if you keep up one at a time you will eventually have the spares you should have had.
Posted By: efw Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
I have them….😊

+1
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
7mm and 308 diameter should be the only boolits being produced.

Well there ya go…..you’ve pissed off the 6.5 Man Bun crowd.
Originally Posted by Cross
I can shop around and find lots of 6.5, 270, 308, and 338 bullets but 7mm bullets are thin on the ground. Look around at your various online retailers and check it out if you don't believe me but 7mms bullets (not ammo) are very hard to find. What's the deal? I understand that there are shortages right now but can't a bullet maker whose busily cranking out 6.5s and 308's hit the pause button for a second and spool up for 7mm's? Not Hornady. Not Nosler. Not Berger. Not Sierra. Not Swift. Not anybody!

I'm thinking about calling Colin Kaepernick and asking him to take a knee for the .284 guys who are being oppressed beyond all others in this 'supposedly free' society to bring attention to our plight.

What gives?

Cross
I've asked the same question... 7mm bullets are just NOT available - unless it's some weird stuff that nobody wants...
Haven't seen 7mm bullets in over a year and a half
Posted By: WAM Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/14/21
I have anecdotes of folks I know who had to borrow rifles, ammo, express ship $5 a pop ammo, etc. just to go hunting this fall. Woe unto the nimrod who does not have an ammo supply laid in, doesn’t hand load, or doesn’t take up knitting or tiddlywinks. I would not expect it to get much better soon, but I have seen a big increase in .308 Win cartridges on store shelves.

Try finding .257 bullets around, too.
Around here there’s not much of anything available. Build Back Better.
Don’t have any 7mm rifles any more except a7x57 and the bullets I got are left over Hornady 120gr for 7-30 waters from days gone by .
Haven’t tried them but might give them a spin in that ole Mauser and see how they do .
Kenneth
I've got lots of Hornady 162 btsp and speer 160g hot cores. I can hardly give them away around here. Most people want accubonds or elds etc.

Bb
"Beware of the man with one gun" is often the saying that is heard. Now the man with one gun can't find ammo or components.

Will have to use that as my justification to my wife for having so many 'deer' rifles. Can always come up with a combination that has available components or factory ammo in a pinch.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think it's a well laid out plan that's been in the making for years. Some people with foresight have predicted another way to take away gun ownership is to cut off ammo supplies. In Missouri a few years ago one of the few remaining lead mines was closed. We have to depend on most of our powder from foreign sources. Then the shortage of people that are smart enough to work and will has been attacked. As Rush used to so aptly call it, "the dumbing down of America". As you mentioned the pot stores being part of the problem. None of this has been off the cuff actions. It's all been well thought through.

Congratulations-you just defined a conspiracy.Anyway, back to 7mm bullets. I've found them a bit hard to come by myself these days, at least the stuff I'm partial to. There's plenty around the place for the rifles I've owned forever. Buying a new 7mm chambering won't happen anytime soon though.
I have helped out several of my local friends but have limited them some. Back during the last 22lr shortage, I was able to get in a case of 5000 CCI mini-mags. I offered them to this same group, about 8 guys. One or two responded and box a box of 100 or so. The rest either didn’t respond or said the still had a box or two or were good.

Several have come to me this year looking for ammo to squirrel hunt. Or wanted me to load them some center fire ammo. I ask what components they have and I get the blank look. One guy was looking for H1000 powder. Saw it at local shop, called him immediately and his response, “I’ll try to make it up there this weekend “. Of course it was sold out. Dude is retired, come deer season he was begging me if I knew where he could get some. I reminded him of our previous communication that he ignored.

I will not be sidelined and have planned accordingly. Some people I just don’t understand.
With a 7 mag you only need 1, so there is that.
Wholesale Hunter currently has 120 grain NBT and Barnes TTSX in stock as well as Combined Technology Silvertips 140s. I bought 120 NBTs from Powder Valley yesterday and 140 NBTs from Wholesale Hunter last week. I’ve found that if you look a few times a day, long enough, you’ll find something you want.
https://www.midwayusa.com/bullets/br?cid=19785&Diameter=0.284+Inches
Originally Posted by rost495

Best bullets….ever..

They’ve always done everything I expect a bullet to do.
Posted By: hanco Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/15/21
I have about 30 boxes of ballistic tips, bout 20 boxes of tipped Bear claws. Years ago I would only buy a box when I needed to load 50 or so. That’s why there is a shortage, people like me scared they will run out. The stores will never get caught back up.
Has Partsman commented yet? lol
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/73795
I got 250 160 grain Accubonds I’ll let go for a thousand bucks.

P
Make fun of those old guys that bought ahead
And free shipping.
After a year of trying, I finally managed to score 2 boxes of Hornady 139 grain IL SP's last month. The backorder had been sitting in the queue at Midsouth for 6 months.
Scheels is still having their bullets at 20% off. They currently have 120gr TTSX $31.19 and 150gr e-ldx for $31.99 per box.

https://www.scheels.com/p/hornady-eld-x-rifle-bullets/90255-2441.html?cgid=rifle-bullets#prefn1=Caliber&prefv1=284%2F7+mm+(.284)&start=1

Still coming up as free shipping over $99
Posted By: JPro Re: Where's all the 7mm Bullets! - 12/16/21
They have 1 box of the 120TTSX. Better be quick if you want it.
Got a few. Maybe more than Midway, but haven't counted them.
I have them….😊

Not all of them, I have 600 120gr TTSX's and some odd packets of sundry 7mm projectiles.
© 24hourcampfire