Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Merino wool - 12/19/21
Not sure what the hype's all about.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
?? You can go for days without bathing if you wear MW, I'm saving up for some
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
It's good!
Posted By: goalie Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Heavyweight quality baselayers don't suck.

Less funk than synthetic.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21

I have a bunch of Merino socks and base layers from a variety of makers.
They are all non itchy. I've read that it varies in quality, but never noticed a difference. Like other wool, it extends the comfort zone of temperature better than any synthetic. The benefits have to do with lack of the scratchy feeling.
It's not necessary for outer layers since it costs more and doesn't touch the skin.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

They are all non itchy. I've read that it varies in quality, but never noticed a difference. Like other wool, it extends the comfort zone of temperature better than any synthetic. The benefits have to do with lack of the scratchy feeling.
It's not necessary for outer layers since it costs more and doesn't touch the skin.

Did God send them to you? Does he ship FedEx or UPS
Posted By: shootem Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Didn’t know Dan was in the sheep business.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Several years ago Costco had merino wool socks that were awesome. The next time I went to buy them they we only half as thick and suck and I wished I would have bought a bunch
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Several years ago Costco had merino wool socks that were awesome. The next time I went to buy them they we only half as thick and suck and I wished I would have bought a bunch

+1.

I ordered some last year or 2 ago after RockyRaabs reccomendation.

Those were good.

Bought some this year. Like you said. Thinner.

Not called hiking socks as before. Now trail socks.
Sams club has the Omni wool socks.

They are heavier. Made in USA also.

3 pr/ $14
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Interesting.

I will have to look at the last package I bought, quite awhile back now.

I decided to grab a pack while they were there, as Costco has the reputation for getting a person hooked on something, then never stocking them again.

Like 12 packs of Altoids mints

and small plastic barrels of pitted Kalamat olives.

And lately, as in the last year, I haven't been able to find Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal, online or the last time I was in a brick and mortar store.

I'm OK on the socks now though, have enough to last a lifetime as I only wear them a few times a year. Proper Planning Prevents................and all that.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Merino wool is from a sheep with finer hairs than that from ordinary sheep, so Nancy's and soy boys can wear it without crying about it being "itchy"... :P It's all the rage among the neo-hippy and hipster crowds.

The "itchiness" comes from the size of the individual fibers, which some people are overly sensitive to. No, you're not "allergic to wool".

I don't think that Merino wool has anywhere near the insulating properties as regular wool, or so it seems to me.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Replaced everything that is next to my skin hunting with merino wool.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by goalie

Did God send them to you? Does he ship FedEx or UPS

It was a miracle! He read about merino and sone just showed up one day.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
It’s good!

Sometimes I go back to polypropylene or EXO synthetic.
That would usually be when I plan a long hike with wool pants.
The reason is that wool on wool layers offers resistance.
Extra energy is expended from the extra effort of fighting the additional friction of the course fibers. If it's extra cold, then an extra pair can be worn. Wool long johns under poly, then wool pants. This helps the bearing surfaces to move easier.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
The socks are ok, but the shirts seem fragile. Every single one I have bought developed holes and rips.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21

Extra energy is expended from the extra effort of fighting the additional friction of the course fibers. If it's extra cold, then an extra pair can be worn. Wool long johns under poly, then wool pants. This helps the bearing surfaces to move easier.

How cold is it to need TWO pairs of long johns and wool pants during activity?

This is hilarious!!
Originally Posted by ironbender

This is hilarious!!

Yes, yes it is.

But, who are we to argue with one who's literally been blessed with gifts from God on numerous occasions?!?!?!??
I guess you guys never still hunted or spent time swaying in the wind way up a tree in a stand.
Sometimes I actually wear three layers top too. Base, mid, outer. Three on feet......liner, wool, leather boots.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21

This is hilarious!!

Going from standing to being on his knees repeatedly, is an activity only Glamper can speak about with authority.

🦫
Posted By: BWalker Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Merino wool doesn't make you stink after 5 days in elk camp with no shower. It also doesn't dry out nearly as fast as synthetic options. It seems to be warmer than synthetic options as well.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

This is hilarious!!

Going from standing to being on his knees repeatedly, is an activity only Glamper can speak about with authority.

🦫

You and Con"man" sure are obsessed with your sexual identities. Why is it you (chosen pronoun here) talk funny, walk funny, and constantly talk about what's on your perv minds?

"An evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."
Originally Posted by BWalker
Merino wool doesn't make you stink after 5 days in elk camp with no shower. It also doesn't dry out nearly as fast as synthetic options. It seems to be warmer than synthetic options as well.

Slow to dry is the biggest drawback IMHO too.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10

This is hilarious!!

🦫

Your kind sure are obsessed with your sexual identities. Why is it you (chosen pronoun here) talk funny, walk funny, and constantly talk about what's on your perv minds?

"An evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."

I’m sorry, Frank....I assumed from your consistent BS pastor and friends videos, that you were that guy who spent most of his day in prayer.

🦫
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Azz in the air too....
I guess you guys never still hunted or spent time swaying in the wind way up a tree in a stand.
Sometimes I actually wear three layers top too. Base, mid, outer. Three on feet......liner, wool, leather boots.

Nobody here believes you hunt at all, let alone in adverse weather.
No one here believes *anything* HC says….
The men in our family get a pair of these.[Linked Image from s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Wool fibers have microscopic barbs that hold the fibers together. If you run it through a drier, the barbs will bind the fibers closer together and they won't come apart - known as shrinking. Those barbs also make it itch. Merino sheep don't have nearly as many barbs. It's less scratchy and more shrink resistant. It's not any warmer but a lot more comfortable.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
I like it, and just ordered some more from miss 33! Smart wool works good too!
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Its all I buy anymore socks mid layer pants and shirts, neck gator and hats. Still have some old heavy wool stuff but it doesn't get used much.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
I have a bunch of it as well.

Really like it for 0-40F temps.

If it's below zero I prefer heavy synthetic long johns as they're warmer.

I have various weights of Icebreaker, Duckworth and a chitload of Smartwool socks. All good stuff.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not sure what the hype's all about.

What ol mike, goalie, Wabi and HC said, in spades. It all goes too for cashmere.

Wear merino long johns on bottom, merino wool socks, cashmere wool sweater under a coat and pants all day several days hunting hard, sweating and camping and if its really cold just take off the boots, pants and coat and crawl into a down bag at bedtime. Go for days without feellng dirty or stinking.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Still itchy.

No can do.
Originally Posted by RickBin
Still itchy.

No can do.

Then you want $ilk, Ric.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Still itchy.

No can do.

Sorry to hear, have you tried cashmere sweaters over a shirt or moreno long johns over silk ones?

Duofold made some good stuff too.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Still itchy.

No can do.

No kidding?

Even Smart Wool?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Foo Foo clothes.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by BWalker

True.

As far as stink, it's not the Merino wool, it's the "5 days without a shower" that contributes the most.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
I'm wearing lightweight long johns as we speak.

Nothing else....

lol
Posted By: sparkman10mm Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21

Yep,..I still have several pr from a few years ago...
New/ recent ones are thinner, but I just double up...great socks!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
The finest of sheep fibers.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Merino wool - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have a bunch of it as well.

Really like it for 0-40F temps.

If it's below zero I prefer heavy synthetic long johns as they're warmer.

I have various weights of Icebreaker, Duckworth and a chitload of Smartwool socks. All good stuff.

Ya when it gets for real cold hard to beat some thick fleece added to the mix
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Yep.

I would have to say my favorite merino is the 260 weight long sleeve shirt.

Live in those things now until about April. Wear 'em 3-4 days at work and wash, no smell.
Posted By: krp Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Synthetic makes you stink quickly. Backpack hunting wool rules where the wardrobe is maybe 1 extra pair of socks... unless you just like smelling your own funk.

Kent
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by Stophel
Merino wool is from a sheep with finer hairs than that from ordinary sheep, so Nancy's and soy boys can wear it without crying about it being "itchy"... :P It's all the rage among the neo-hippy and hipster crowds.

The "itchiness" comes from the size of the individual fibers, which some people are overly sensitive to. No, you're not "allergic to wool".

I don't think that Merino wool has anywhere near the insulating properties as regular wool, or so it seems to me.

You got a lot wrong here. Not all of it, but a lot.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Still itchy.

No can do.

Give bamboo rayon a try as a base layer.
I just got back from four days of Bamboo base layer, because it wasn't cold, then scratchy vintage wool mid. It didn't get through the base, but had the antimicrobial benefits.
You might like it as a technical fabric that needs less washing.., ideal for out in the field.
Major comfort, even more than cotton.

Kudos to Jaguar's choices too.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Still itchy.

No can do.

Yeah, but you can feel the pea under the mattress.

You’re a sensitive sumbitch!
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Another thing... my merino long johns are very thin and flexible. They fit under my skinny jeans and my ass looks amazing
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by Salty303
Another thing... my merino long johns are very thin and flexible. They fit under my skinny jeans and my ass looks amazing

Waiting for pitchers. You stud you.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Yep.

Live in those things now until about April. Wear 'em 3-4 days at work and wash, no smell.

What brand, Sammo?
Originally Posted by 1minute
The finest off sheep fibers.

But cashmere goat fibers are finer and warmer.

https://news.orvis.com/products-we-love/cashmere-vs-merino-whats-the-best-wool-to-wear#:~:text=Warmer%3A%20Cashmere%20can%20be%20seven,and%20resists%20pilling%20more%20effectively.

Wool is one of the best performing materials available, and also one of the oldest. But in a contest of two favorites—cashmere versus merino—does a clear winner emerge? Which wool is the warmest? Which one is the softest and the most comfortable? Which lends itself to more formal occasions? And what about durability—does merino wool clothing resist pilling better than cashmere? To best appreciate the differences between cashmere and merino—and the benefits of each—it’s helpful to understand how these different types of wool are sourced and produced.

What is Wool?
Wool is a natural fiber also known as fleece, similar to human hair or fur, that covers the skin of a variety of animals including sheep, goats, and alpacas, and is used in different woven and knitted textiles. The fibers are collected during the annual shearing of the animals, and then processed. Wool has been used for thousands of years to make warm clothing, blankets, and other furnishings; regardless of which animal produces them, the “crimped” nature of the wool fibers makes them an effective insulator against the cold. The quality and other properties of the wool, however, vary considerably, depending on the type and breed of animal.

Sheep’s Wool
“Sheep’s wool” is a general term that refers to the fibers produced by various breeds of adult sheep grown all over the world (versus “lambswool,” which comes from their lambs). Sheep’s wool is the most common and widely available type of wool, though its qualities vary depending on the breed of sheep that produces it. In addition to its insulating properties, sheep’s wool contains lanolin, which repels water and bacteria. This is why wool doesn’t readily absorb odors compared to other materials. But garments made from ‘regular’ sheep’s wool, while warm, are relatively heavy and can feel scratchy due to the coarseness of the wool.

Merino Wool
Merino wool, on the other hand, is softer and more refined than regular wool. It comes from Merino sheep, raised mostly in Australia and New Zealand these days, and bred to produce very fine wool fibers. Merino wool is a superb material for performance clothing especially, given its moisture wicking properties. It is warm yet lightweight and breathable, making it suitable for a wide range of active pursuits. And since merino wool garments tend to retain their shape without wrinkling, they are great for travel and appropriate for varied climates. Are the best wool sweaters made from merino? The answer probably depends on the situation. Merino wool clothing has certainly proved its mettle for the wearer who enjoys an active lifestyle.

Cashmere
Cashmere comes from goats and is softer still than sheep’s wool. Specifically, it is produced from fibers that make up the soft, downy undercoat of Kashmir goats that originally inhabited areas in China, India, Iran, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Collecting these particular fibers is a laborious task that must be done by hand during spring molting season, resulting in a relatively small yield. The difficulty involved with collecting cashmere wool explains why it is relatively rare and considered a luxury item compared to sheep’s wool. It takes at least two goats to make one two-ply cashmere sweater, whereas the wool from one sheep can be used to make four or five conventional wool sweaters.

Cashmere wool is softer and lighter than sheep’s wool and possesses a higher loft, which translates into plush, luxurious fabrics with a silky feel. Because it also drapes beautifully, cashmere garments impart an elegant look on more formal occasions.

Cashmere vs. Merino—What’s to Choose?
Warmer: Cashmere can be seven to eight times warmer than merino wool.
Softer: Cashmere has a higher loft, which makes it softer.
More Durable: Merino wool is sturdier and resists pilling more effectively.
Easier to Care for: Merino generally requires less care in washing.
Dressier: Cashmere is a more luxurious fabric with an elegant drape.
If you spend a lot of time outdoors in all seasons like we do—whatever the weather—you’re probably always on the hunt for the latest and greatest in performance clothing. Though high performance apparel made from synthetic fabrics abounds these days—designed for different outdoor activities in all seasons—the purists among us believe that nothing beats good ‘ol natural wool. Attractive, warm, water repellent and breathable, wool garments, particularly if they’re a refined version such as cashmere or merino, are singularly comforting.
Posted By: kingston Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Still itchy.

No can do.

No kidding?

Even Smart Wool?

Rick must be sensitive.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Yep.

What brand, Sammo?

Jag, Icebreaker for the heavier 260, last stuff I ordered was lighter weight from Duckworth.

Both great quality.

As mentioned they will wear thin. Save the wore out stuff for warmer weather...
Thanks.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21

I bought some.... like 4 packs of them.... so that would be 24 pair...

I keep losing pairs of them.... then I go in my wife's sock drawer and there they are....
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21

If you're stand hunting..............................

why do you worry about the minor amount of extra energy one might expend because of friction between two wool layers?

Whoopity Sheesh for sure.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Still itchy.

No can do.

No kidding?

Even Smart Wool?

Rick must be sensitive.

I'd say something about certain folks being banned................................

But I better not.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
A couple years ago Costco had long sleeved merino T-shirts for about $20. I bought 8 which was all they had in my size. They're warm and really comfortable. I sure wish Costco would get over their policy of buying something once and you never see it again.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by ol_mike
?? You can go for days without bathing if you wear MW, I'm saving up for some

I am an ex shearer and that is incorrect, what is more it is frigging itchy.

Screw wearing wool.
Posted By: natman Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Once upon a time I worked for a Filson dealer and got a discount, which allowed me to afford a set of Filson merino wool long johns. They feel so good to put on they're illegal in seven states.
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Before Merino, Cabela's used to sell silk long underwear as a base layer to the old scratchy wool. I bought a heavy silk top to go under a Stanfield top...Stanfield, talk about heavy duty and scratchy!
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Yeah, the Filson wool is pretty good. I've got a couple tops. Good stuff!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Still itchy.

No can do.

Rick;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that you and all of yours are well as can be despite the way the world seems these days.

I've quoted your reply but see that there's others here who are in the same boat as you and everyone else in my family too. My good wife can't even do cashmere for more than a few hours as she reacts to it. I want to say one daughter does now too, but it might be like my wife who used to be able to do some wool and then one day no longer could.

Up here Costco used to bring in long sleeved base layers of merino that were made in Canada. I tried a couple based on a recommendation from Okanagan here I believe and liked them so much I bought enough to last my lifetime.

Their old trail socks used to be good too, the new ones I picked up last summer weren't as good, but again I bought "a lot" of them so am fixed for a bit.

I live in those Costco Merino base layers from October to March so that more or less tells what I think of them, but for sure I get that some people just cannot which is a pity.

All the best to you all this Christmas Rick.

Dwayne
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Merino wool - 12/20/21
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Before Merino, Cabela's used to sell silk long underwear as a base layer to the old scratchy wool. I bought a heavy silk top to go under a Stanfield top...Stanfield, talk about heavy duty and scratchy!

Wool over silk is a great combination for comfort and warmth. I have some the old Cabela's heavy weight silk. It is really good stuff. Unfortunately, nobody seems to sell the heavy weight silk anymore.
© 24hourcampfire