Home
Price is a lot cheaper than the Diehard I bought in Advance Auto Parts. I have a few vehicles in need.

AGM worth the extra cost?

Vehicles are an F150 and a couple of 4runners.
I'd think they would be just fine.
It’s what I typically buy if I can, have changed out several in their parking lot. (You might be a redneck, if...). The ones in the ‘96 7.3 F250 are at least 5 years old now, so I’m happy with that. The ones in the Taco lasted either five or six years. The price and warranty are attractive, and their mechanics appear to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.
If they were closer I'd certainly consider using them, as I have in the past, their tires also.

But, being very rural and having a Les Schwab here, I gave up on the Costco auto stuff even given the good results I had with them over the years. A lot closer to go to the Schwabie's here, than take a 3 hr drive to the nearest Costco for a warranty or age related replacement.

Dutch, might be that Costco pays their mechanics a decent wage and can keep a suitable mechanic or two around?
I always go with the Costco batteries if they have what I need.
Was disappointed when they lowered the warranty on their deep cycle batteries to 1 year.
I guess there's too many idiots that don't know how to keep their boat or RV batteries charged and simply return them to Costco.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
If they were closer I'd certainly consider using them, as I have in the past, their tires also.

But, being very rural and having a Les Schwab here, I gave up on the Costco auto stuff even given the good results I had with them over the years. A lot closer to go to the Schwabie's here, than take a 3 hr drive to the nearest Costco for a warranty or age related replacement.

Dutch, might be that Costco pays their mechanics a decent wage and can keep a suitable mechanic or two around?

They may eve offer, shudder, BENEFITS!

Schwab has gone to heck since the old man died. I used to buy all my tires there, and running a 22 wheel semi rig, skid steers, a bunch of farm trucks, trailers, and personal vehicles, I used to spend as much as five figures a year there. I’d call, they’d send a guy to the farm, swap the tires, give me a decent case credit, and I’d send them money. Win-win.

Then the old man died, and they went full on accountant ruled. Went in there for a tire rotation, so I asked the mechanic to tell me what the pads looked like while he had it up and the wheels were off.

I was presented with a $80 “brake inspection” invoice. I asked the (new) manager if he was serious; he said he was. So I paid the bill and haven’t been back since.
Well scheidt,

I wonder if that's a "manager" issue as I just swapped the summers for winter treads on both the vehicles and there was no charge for the brake inspection.

The manager that was here when we arrived left for a bigger store in the Tacoma area, closer to his or his wife's family as I recall too. I'm not as much of a fan of the new manager.

Sad to hear it seems to have gone "corporate". I best hope they don't get bought out by Bass Pro Shops.
I've used nothing but costco battery for probably 15 years now across several vehicles and have had no problems.
Interstate batteries aren't a Costco house brand. They're a very good battery, however.

I've had good luck with them.
Originally Posted by WTF
Interstate batteries aren't a Costco house brand. They're a very good battery, however.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are only 2 companies making batteries, Interstate is just branded as that to their specs.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by WTF

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are only 2 companies making batteries, Interstate is just branded as that to their specs.

MM

This. A best buy as far as I'm concerned.
Interstate is all I use on the farm for all of my trucks, my wife's Lexus, my equipment, tractors, etc., my 4 wheelers and golf cart and even my solar panels energy storage ... although I am going to be switching-over to more modern chemistry in 2022 for the solar energy storage.

I have bought quite a few batteries from Costco. The Interstate guarantee applies just like it does everywhere else.
You’d be a fool to buy anything else

Costco tires are "price point" tires.............Batteries probably are too.
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Interstate is all I use on the farm for all of my trucks, my wife's Lexus, my equipment, tractors, etc., my 4 wheelers and golf cart and even my solar panels energy storage ... although I am going to be switching-over to more modern chemistry in 2022 for the solar energy storage.

I have bought quite a few batteries from Costco. The Interstate guarantee applies just like it does everywhere else.

Except you can only return a Costco Interstate battery to Costco. It's labeled right on the battery. It's not a big deal unless you are away from home and have a problem.

FWIW I have only had 1 problem with a Costco battery and it went bad in a little less than a year.
Originally Posted by cisco1

Even the high end Michelin tires?
No, the Interstate batteries are a premium brand. I buy nothing else.

Price is probably lower because Costco buys a kajillion of them at a time, just like everything else they sell.
Originally Posted by czech1022
No, the Interstate batteries are a premium brand. I buy nothing else.

Price is probably lower because Costco buys a kajillion of them at a time, just like everything else they sell.

Right. Interstate is top of the line until you start getting into the gel stuff.
Best part about them is there's no hassle when you want to warranty one. I get tired of arguing with the local tire shop trying to get a battery warrantied The local guys always say it's not completely gone yet. If you charge it overnight it'll still turn your starter over a few times. They always tried to push a darling battery just past warranty.

If a Costco one starts to go you just take it right in and they replace it.

Bb
I'm going to bust a few bubbles with this, but a recent experience on my wife's car.... she called me from work when it was time to come home and " My car won't start!".

So I threw some tools in the car and jumper cables... go over to the Hospital and her battery has a large cracked spot on the corner, and it is leaking. its shot.

Back home, pull a battery out of one of my other cars and bring it back over, and put that in her Camry.... starts right up.

I head over to Costco with her battery. They look at it and tell me its gone and they will replace it.... BUT...

The replacement battery, won't have the new 36 month warranty any more.... they will only honor the balance of the warranty that was left on the battery that went bad, 8 months, and the warranty is over.... the other option is to just pay for a new battery and get the 36 month warranty, AND they will not credit the 8 months remaining on the old battery.

And then I think back to when I started using their batteries.... they had a 6 year warranty, and the first 36 months was no charge, the last 36 months was credited on the remain months left on its 72 month warranty. Their tire warranty use to be the same thing... and then they started lowering the warranty, and it got lower every time I had to replace a tire off of a new set, and the prices kept going up tho. I no longer run Costco tires....

My jury is still out on if I'll buy any new Costco batteries.... now you can match their warranty at a number of places....

it was great for the 20 plus years that it lasted.. but that ship has now sailed....

These new batteries, aren't lasting as long either as the ones that had the Costco name on them....even if they were made by Interstate for Private Label...

just passing that recent experience along.....
Interstate batteries suck donkey balls. I'll never buy one with my own money. The best we get out of them is maybe two years.

Stop being cheap bastids and buy a good battery if you want reliability.
I'm not afraid of them
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Interstate batteries suck donkey balls. I'll never buy one with my own money. The best we get out of them is maybe two years.

Stop being cheap bastids and buy a good battery if you want reliability.

There's no such thing as a good battery anymore...
Had one fading in my Tacoma last month. Tested it at O’Reilly and it was bad. Their 3yr battery, but it made it 5 years.
Toyota batteries are made by Interstate with a Toyota label.
I usually buy mine from the Toyota dealership.

My daughter got screwed over at O'Reillys Auto Parts they sold her a battery that doesn't come close to fitting the battery compartment looks like it should be in a riding lawn mower....I saw it and went up there and pitched a bitch to no avail.

Screw O'Reilly auto parts.

Cosco is not the only place with the new screw you warranty. I guess that's not really fair to say about Costco if the warranty was different we'd be getting free batteries for life.

Harbor Freight the junk tool store takes it one step farther. I bought a cheap electric cut off tool...girl asked if I wanted the extended warranty...told me the price I bought it figuring the cheap Chinese chit wouldnt last.

Short time later it broke....I took it in and they gave me a new one....I was informed that my warranty had now expired and that I could buy another warrenty

I didn't buy the extended warranty on the second one and it running strong after 4 or 5 years.
some of you guys can complain all you want about costco...you arent going to beat their tire prices or battery prices and they have the same if not better warranty as anybody else selling the same products
#16747142 New5 hours ago
smarquez
Campfire Guide

Rancho Altacucawanda, CA
Originally Posted by cisco1

Even the high end Michelin tires?

Yes smarquez, even the high end Michelin. I knew about price point items forever, however , years ago,I made the mistake of buying Michelin tires for 2 Duramax company trucks . Very good saleslady assuired me same as dealer tires . Replaced them on both trucks at 50K miles . Worn out .
Originally Posted by LFC
Toyota batteries are made by Interstate with a Toyota label.
I usually buy mine from the dealership.

My daughter got screwed over at O'Reillys auto they sold her a battery that doesn't come close to fitting the battery compartment....I saw it and went up there and pitched a bitch to no avail.

Screw O'Reilly auto parts.

My wife's 2016 4runner has the original battery. It's labeled Panasonic. I did not contact the dealer to see what they have.

I payed like 200 bucks for a Diehard Gold for my 2002 4runner and really thinking about running over to Costco. Same 3 year replacement warranty for almost 100 bucks less.

The Interstate AGM battety is around 50 bucks less than the Diehard Gold.

It is a crap shoot with price point batteries. Some will have to honor the warranty.

Ain't that fun on a late night in the winter ? Carry a jump pack.

I like Costco . Things like Prime Steak, the best bird seed. Buy 10 bags at a time. The flowers and the gas.
I have 2 6v golf cart batteries on our camp trailer. The yellow top Interstates sold at Costco aren't the same as the green top Interstate brand. They're nowhere near as powerful.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Price is a lot cheaper than the Diehard I bought in Advance Auto Parts. I have a few vehicles in need.

AGM worth the extra cost?

Vehicles are an F150 and a couple of 4runners.

I have had good luck with Costco batteries, regular FLA.

If you go AGM, make sure your vehicles charging voltage is compatible, or I would expect short battery life. AGMs may need higher charging voltage to fully charge.
Ended up buying 2 Costco Interstate batteries (not AGM) and saved about 190 bucks compared to auto parts store prices.

Thanks all.
Napa sells a good battery.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have 2 6v golf cart batteries on our camp trailer. The yellow top Interstates sold at Costco aren't the same as the green top Interstate brand. They're nowhere near as powerful.

What are the complete specs on your old battery?

What are the complete specs on the replacement new battery?

Specs do not matter .....the cheapest price does . I have some relatives like that ...they always need a jump .
Last interstate battery($154) I purchased for my 2004 Ford F-150 lasted a whopping 2 years never again for me.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Napa sells a good battery.
This NAPA GOLD or Deka batteries.
© 24hourcampfire