Home
I wanted to buy an electric smoker. (I have zero smoking experience though.) The girlfriend bought me a propane smoker for Christmas. Do i keep it, or exchange it for electric? Hate to hurt her feelings and swap it, especially if propane is a good way to go.

Input?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
We have a smoker that uses either, but the wife always has it using the pellets.
Posted By: hanco Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
I’ve never used anything but a wood smoker-pit. I use mostly mesquite.
I have a Smoke-N-Tex electric smoker which is stupid easy. Uses chunks or chips of any wood you wish and is as bullet proof as a smoker can be.
Just calculate the amount of water produced by a pound of propane...

It is almost three pounds produced per pound of propane.
I really like my propane smoker.

It may not be a real bbq pit that looks like a choo choo train, but it uses actual flame, rather than a hot plate.

For some really low temps, I suppose the Electric would be superior. I dont mess with the cold stuff.
An electric smoker never runs out of gas.
I have both pellet and electric smokers. I use my electric Cookshack hands down over anything else.

https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-grills-smokers/bbq-smokers/electric-smokers
If your going to smoke in colder Temps don't bother with electric. I had a Bradley electric smoker years ago that would not get past 150 degrees if the Temps were around freezing or less without a huge blanket around it.
Electric all the way.
As usual, you get pros and cons both ways. Just use it and enjoy. It'll work fine.

That said, I use a Green Mountain pellet grill.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
If your going to smoke in colder Temps don't bother with electric. I had a Bradley electric smoker years ago that would not get past 150 degrees if the Temps were around freezing or less without a huge blanket around it.

That is a Bradley problem, not an electricity issue.
My Masterbuilt 340G has a temp dial on it like an oven.

Its really easy to use.

Flame is better than a hot plate in my opinion.
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Unless the power goes out?
The element burns out?

I use propane. Works year round.
I’ve never used one but agree on the flame. Use it.

What model is it?
I use propane, you can cold smoke or turn it up and cook whatever needs cooking.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I’ve used my Bradly electric in 20 degree weather with good results.
It's a Camp Chef "Smoke Vault." Thanks for all the feedback.
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I’ve used my Bradly electric in 20 degree weather with good results.

You don't use it in winter?
wink
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Looks like a good one.
I’d use it. The only problem with propane is the bottle valves they switched to. They have an O-ring in the quick connect fitting that eventually wears out. Fitting is still good but will leak. They sell a lot of fittings though.
I think I am going to give it a try. She bought it in Denver which is two hours away too. Hate to give up on it due to my own ignorance. I literally have zero smoking experience, but I want to learn.
I really like my Masterbuilt electric smoker, will hold 250+ even when cold outside. I had a propane smoker; it would not get beyond 150 unless I wrapped it with a welding blanket. I think it is perhaps the quality of the smoker itself. A good seal on the door and some insulation etc.
I think I am going to give it a try. She bought it in Denver which is two hours away too. Hate to give up on it due to my own ignorance. I literally have zero smoking experience, but I want to learn.

Start off with a pork butt. You can’t mess that up.
I use a plain old 4 burner Propane grill and smoke tubes. Two 2" square tubes daisy chained together gives 10-12 hours of smoke with pellets from Walmart. Once the temp gets right by adjusting the flame on two burners I can smoke two butts overnight for perfectly done pulled pork. It takers a LONG time for a 100 Lb. tank to run out of gas. Brisket is just roast beef- - - -real BBQ comes from a pig!
Posted By: 35 Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As usual, you get pros and cons both ways. Just use it and enjoy. It'll work fine.

That said, I use a Green Mountain pellet grill.

X 10 !
I had an Electric smoker and returned it for a gas.
Used the gas for a couple years, tough to keep temperature regulated.
The Green Mountain is set and forget.
I have the Daniel Boone without the WIFI.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/choice-wifi/daniel-boone/
Which is most functional if the power goes off?
Originally Posted by 1minute
Which is most functional if the power goes off?

Well...that's when you fire up your 15000 dollar generation system and keep smoking!

propane sucks and before long biden will make it so expensive you wont be able to afford to use it

Originally Posted by barnabus

propane sucks and before long biden will make it so expensive you wont be able to afford to use it

In the words of the great white father, "We'll be smoking as long as the sun shines or the wind blows..."
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
Wasn't there an argument about barbequing with gas on "King of the Hill" cartoon in 1997?

[Linked Image from img.texasmonthly.com]
Originally Posted by SandBilly

What flavor wood do you like to use? Does wood type matter much?
Posted By: Judman Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
I’ve both, prefer the propane smoker. 👍

Your stronger woods are probably Hickory and Mesquite. Pecan is probably my favorite all around, middle of the road wood. Mix in some fruit wood with any of these and see what you like and on what cut of meat. You’ll probably get many suggestions on this.

I don’t know that I can taste something and always tell you what kind of wood it was. That’s part of the fun, just experiment with it.

I like brisket with pecan, hickory or mesquite. I’ll use about anything on pork.

I used cherry on the last one.

Have used pecan and apple.
Thanks! Ever smoke drumsticks or wings?
Most fruit woods are pretty light in flavor. Mesquite is quite strong. Hickory has more character than fruit wood but nothing like mesquite.

I like electric heat and use chips or pellets in an Amaz N smoker thingy. Works good for most items that I want to smoke and not necessarily “cook”.

Brisket and pork shoulders I like with charcoal for heat and wood chips or sticks for smoke.
None of its hard. Figure out keeping stable temps and have at ‘er. Get a good meat thermometer. Go low and slow.

You’ll quickly figure out how much smoke you like.

Starting to think that fuel type is probably less important than learning how to get that thin blue line of smoke with whatever smoker is chosen. Anyone can step on the gas, so to speak, and produce a lot of acrid smoke.

I have an electric, but if someone gave me a propane unit I would use it. Some people add moisture to electric smokers, since they are so dry, anyway. I'd focus on making the propane unit work as best as it can (good smoke), then decide if you want something else. No downside to having a couple smokers, grills, etc. either!
Smoke something mild in a propane smoker using alder or other very light wood and see if you can taste the oilwell in it... that water came out of a well... sort of.

And always needs a plug.

Cut the cord and go propane.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
I use this funny thing called wood! Yesterday I did a 15lb ham with pecan wood. For New Years I’m doing pork butt which takes 17 hours at 225 degrees.
Better yet is my Weber Smokey Mountain.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
My smoker is ceramic.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/26/21
I have an electric Cookshack, and it is worth the money. Easy and consistent. Probably 20 years old now, and I use it all the time.
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have an electric Cookshack, and it is worth the money. Easy and consistent. Probably 20 years old now, and I use it all the time.

Cook Shack model 50 since 2004..
No problems... Have few buddies that borrow it, they all love it..
A bit of advice to save on the learning curve. Especially poultry and pork tenderloin.

Turkey for example, most places you look will say 180 internal in the thigh and 170 in the breast. But If you dig further it’s not needed, it’ll save you from having a dry finished product.

According to the USDA's own data, as long as your turkey spends at least 3.7 minutes at or above,150°F it is safe to eat. No dry turkey here.

Brisket is another story. Google the fork test but around 195 internal is where it’ll be. Same with pork butt.
Thanks for all the info. I'd love to do a brisket someday. Not sure where to even buy one around here though.
Thanks for all the info. I'd love to do a brisket someday. Not sure where to even buy one around here though.

Really?
I have an electric smoker I got as a gift. It makes delicious food. I’d just use whatever she bought you. I’m sure I’d be happy with a propane model. Smoking takes time, patience, and a meat thermometer.
I smoked a turkey injected with Cajun marinade yesterday. It was awesome!
I wanted to buy an electric smoker. (I have zero smoking experience though.) The girlfriend bought me a propane smoker for Christmas. Do i keep it, or exchange it for electric? Hate to hurt her feelings and swap it, especially if propane is a good way to go.

Input?

Get a traeger, thank me later
Bradley 4 rack electric. Can smoke 15 pounds of pork bellies at a time. Or 2 full racks of spare ribs. Add pucks and walk away.

Really?

My grocery store is pretty limited. I believe costco sells a giant one though.

I use a Bradley up here, mostly for cold smoking cheese and bacon. I usually cold smoke around 60 to 70 degrees so I suppose it depends on what you intend to use it for. I love mine, best smoked cheese you've ever tasted. Just ask my granddaughter if you don't believe me. I also have a Traeger and a Weber gas fired grill I use for steaks, brisket, burgers, or whatever.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Better yet is my Weber Smokey Mountain.

BINGO!

Enjoy the process. Donut stacking or stack the middle with hot coals. Charcoal, wood chunks, bourbon or beer. A two probe thermometer helps out tremendously.
The "Smoke" thermometer is what I use.

A friend along is fun.

Best flavor of all.
Posted By: RayF Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/27/21
The real question is: Are pellets and pucks really considered “smoking”?

Never impressed with the level of flavor they provide. I’ll be the 3rd to say WSM….or an offset….or a BGE. Basically ANYTHING that uses lump coal and woods chunks of choice.
You can use and get good results with either electric or propane. There is a learning curve to getting the temps right, but it's a pretty easy process. I have a smoker that can use either gas or charcoal but I've never used anything but propane. They don't make them any more and mine is almost 40 years old and going strong.

I mostly smoke turkeys, using a water bath under the bird and apple wood chunks for smoke. I put the bird in, fire it up and check the temp every so often. Come back in four hours and it's done. It really is that simple.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/27/21
Who has the best deal on wood pellets?
Cabelas branded pellets are rebadged Lumberjack's, which are great. Only $10/bag too. Tractor Supply has Bear Mountain for the same price and their great too.

My electric Masterbuilt has done fine for me for a couple years now. For longer smokes I use a smoker tube, which will last for about 6 hours. I don't like watching the fire, monitoring temps, or any of that. I like set and forget and use an internal meat thermometer on almost everything because it's foolproof. Makes great food.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have a Smoke-N-Tex electric smoker which is stupid easy. Uses chunks or chips of any wood you wish and is as bullet proof as a smoker can be.

This smoker is excellent - easy temp control, good sealed smoke box, and not a huge pain to clean.
I've read conflicting info on whether you need to soak your wood chips in water or not?
No, don't do that.
The old school thought was soak the wood if you're going to drop the wood chunks directly on charcoal. Burning dry wood does not create much smoke. But it is simple enough to move the wood chunks off the heat to smoke without rapidly burning.
I have a master built elec, unless they are insulated, they are a push in cold weather.
I've read conflicting info on whether you need to soak your wood chips in water or not?

I like pellets much better than chips. They smoke great and last longer.
I always soak my chunks and chips overnight. You risk burning dry ones instead of smoldering them. I use a mix so the chips get smoke going early and the chunks (fist sized) smolder longer. I get an hour to 90 minutes of smoke that starts almost immediately. That's all I need or want but if I wanted more smoke flavor I could always drop in a couple more chunks.

We have lots of a orchards here where I can go beg a couple of trimmed apple, pear, cherry, peach, or apricot limbs. I like them about two inches in diameter, which I saw into three- to four-inch lengths. I keep them for six months to a year before using them so they aren't green. In a pinch, I can always buy a bag of chunks. That's how I get mesquite when I use that - which is only rarely because it's pretty intense.
Thanks for all the great input.
Posted By: byron Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/27/21

That's the model I have and it works well.
Soaked chips just take longer to smoke.

A lot of what people fancy as smoke is actually steam.

Why would you want punky shìtty smoke?

It's all some can afford.
I’ve never soaked the wood chips.
Dry chips and chunks are fine - if you want a campfire under your meat. Personally, I believe flames are not a good idea. I soak mine.
You are delaying the oxidation necessary for smoke production.
If you have to use water to control heat and thus...flames...you have poor air control.

Get that fire to skunk and smolder with oxygen....not dihydrogen monoxide.
Soaked chips just take longer to smoke.

A lot of what people fancy as smoke is actually steam.

Agree 100%. Steam and smoke are obviously not the same thing.
I won't argue, but based on almost four decades of experience, I'll keep doing what I believe in. Results speak for themselves.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I won't argue, but based on almost four decades of experience, I'll keep doing what I believe in. Results speak for themselves.

You have also said that you have an absolutely disgusting sense of what good food is.

Or what might even classify as "edible". grin
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Burning dry wood does not create much smoke.

LOL

Go gettem JC.

If ya can't get 'fire clams ta realize they shouldn't throw water on their fire, when they're tryin ta cook, there's no hope.
Jim, I have NEVER said such a thing.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Jim, I have NEVER said such a thing.

I have routinely read your posts where you have chronicled some of terrible things you have eaten over the years.

I don't remember them right off hand.....but I guarantee that you have eaten some horrible things over the years.
Just breaking your balls anyhow.
Posted By: pullit Re: Propane vs Electric smoker? - 12/27/21
I have had both propane and electric smokers. I don't want another propane smoker. I does leave a taste in the meat.
In my book electric is better than propane but neither hold a candle to a stick burner smoker or pit for taste.
© 24hourcampfire