Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
Routine traffic stop, suspect ran, got tased, search of his pickup revealed coolers full of body parts including a severed head. I'd turn in my badge on the spot.

BODY PARTS
Posted By: Teal Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Routine traffic stop, suspect ran, got tased, search of his pickup revealed coolers full of body parts including a severed head. I'd turn in my badge on the spot.

BODY PARTS

Would likely keep me up a while.

City cop - no

County sheriff- yeah

TX Ranger - that would be cool

Marshal - yeah
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
I'd say the number of people who want to become cops has dropped considerably in the last two years. We currently see very little public respect for cops, and it's a difficult, often thankless job. Society sure needs cops, but you wouldn't know it from the public discussion. It's a bad situation that will result in a lot more crime and violence.
If it’s an adult, it’s not too bad. Kids is what gets to me sometimes. A guy near here got into an argument with his wife/girlfriend about how to discipline their kid. He picked up a knife, grabbed their 5 year-old, and cut her throat. That was really terrible. It’s been 11 years and I still get worked up thinking about it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
I am thankful there are those doing that job, but it would take three times normal earnings and a lot of time off for me to go into that line of work. Has to be especially hard in small communities where all are known entities seeing one another on almost a daily basis.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
If it’s an adult, it’s not too bad. Kids is what gets to me sometimes. A guy near here got into an argument with his wife/girlfriend about how to discipline their kid. He picked up a knife, grabbed their 5 year-old, and cut her throat. That was really terrible. It’s been 11 years and I still get worked up thinking about it.

That would get me.
"To Serve (ourselves) and Protect (the politicians)" At least they give you a nice uniform with lightning bolts on the collar and a pair of knee-high boots. Learning to goose step would be a bit of a challenge!
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
"To Serve (ourselves) and Protect (the politicians)" At least they give you a nice uniform with lightning bolts on the collar and a pair of knee-high boots. Learning to goose step would be a bit of a challenge!

Most of us wear 8 inch boots now. Makes your leg more end-loaded like a good softball bat.
Were the parts well iced?

Gotta respect a man who takes care of his meat.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Were the parts well iced?

Gotta respect a man who takes care of his meat.

I was thinking it, but you said it!
Posted By: antlers Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
"To Serve (ourselves) and Protect (our pensions and the politicians)" At least they give you a nice uniform with lightning bolts on the collar and a pair of knee-high boots. Learning to goose step would be a bit of a challenge!
Standing by and watching while criminals loot stores and then burn them to the ground. Then write a ticket to a taxpayer on his way home from work for a minor traffic violation. Such an honorable profession.
Originally Posted by antlers
"To Serve (ourselves) and Protect (our pensions and the politicians)" At least they give you a nice uniform with lightning bolts on the collar and a pair of knee-high boots. Learning to goose step would be a bit of a challenge!
Standing by and watching while criminals loot stores and then burn them to the ground. Then write a ticket to a taxpayer on his way home from work for a minor traffic violation. Such an honorable profession.

It's no more honorable than what you do....or did before social security boomie life...
Posted By: antlers Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It's no more honorable than what you do....or did before social security boomie life...
lol
Posted By: smarquez Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
Reason #123,984 for me. I saw and heard enough nasty [bleep] as a fireman in Los Angeles county from the early 80's.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
You'd think Thug Life 101 would teach you to drive safely and cautiously when in the commission of a crime or not in commission of a crime so you don't have to talk to the police. But what do criminals do? Drive like morons. Pretty much why they only catch the dumb ones. Gary Ridgway was basically special needs and killed hundreds before they caught him.

BODY PARTS

Which is why I don't flash my lights at oncoming traffic if I passed a parked cop. You never know what they are looking for.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
It's Vegas Baby!
Originally Posted by 19352012
You'd think Thug Life 101 would teach you to drive safely and cautiously when in the commission of a crime or not in commission of a crime so you don't have to talk to the police. But what do criminals do? Drive like morons. Pretty much why they only catch the dumb ones. Gary Ridgway was basically special needs and killed hundreds before they caught him.

Whenever I’m behind someone and they drive at or below the speed limit and make zero mistakes, I assume they got warrants.
Posted By: viking Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21

It seems that way, well in some areas anyway.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
Being told to “stand down”, (watching ANTIFA or BLM) destroying statues and other public and private property.
Watching brother officers being tried and convicted for killing a perpetrator, (regardless of color).
Being ordered to confiscate weapons from law abiding citizens in event of disaster or illegal orders.
No dice. I have too much self respect. A paycheck is one thing , my soul is completely different.
Like I said, the day is soon coming when LEOs are gonna have to decide whether they work for the people who pay their paychecks, or the people who sign their paychecks.
I hope they choose wisely.
7mm
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
I retired on 12/01/2021. Once the dust settled a bit during a quiet moment, I began to realize/ remember some of the terrible things I have seen and experienced. I was able to voice some it to my wife. It felt better to talk about it. At least half of the incidents/ memories I spoke of she told me that she did recall me ever mentioning to her. i was shocked what I had filtered from her and my daughters. Last, I realized all the things that I had missed because of work. Family events, and such. I felt terrible about that but realized that I cannot get those moments back. They are gone and that haunts me at times, truly believe that the job is really a lifestyle that puts many other things to the side. I survived it and now I have to enjoy a life out of the game. 34 years was really to long of a run. I do not know where we will find those folks who are able to do the as it is today. God bless them and may god look after them.
What gets me is the…ahh I saw a dead body and now where is my disability check type. GMAFB.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
If they gave me a free-fire permit I'd be a cop. Have no interest in using tasers, bear spray or talking to azzholes.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
I have not seen a lot of that type departure from LE. But there have been a few, to which I to had to say to myself, I was on one of those types of calls just two days ago. I am ok, at least I think I am ok. So, yes I can agree with viking on that . But, just that!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If they gave me a free-fire permit I'd be a cop. Have no interest in using tasers, bear spray or talking to azzholes.

That’s the spirit 🤣
Body parts=white suspect.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
Let me thank you for your service. I’ve known quite a few police officers who I respected and admired.
I’ve also known a few whose motivations were purely for the authority the job gives them.
Most of the former are getting close to retirement or already there.
It seems that the majority nowadays are in the latter.
7mm
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Body parts=white suspect.

I was thinking cartel ish.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/26/21
I don't have the temperament.

Things bother me too much, both the tragic,
And the frustrating. The tragic might take too much a toll.
The frustrating would make me a criminal eventually.

And this is why I hold good cops in high esteem,
while holding them all to a very high expectation.
Thankfully my douchebag governor gave me the option to no longer be surrounded by felons. Some of the dumb bastids that think they are coy cracked me up.
Originally Posted by viking
What gets me is the…ahh I saw a dead body and now where is my disability check type. GMAFB.

Yeah, that gets me too. I guess I don’t know how something hits someone, so that may be unfair. Or, maybe they have a greater deal of introspect than I do and I’m just repressing stuff.

But I’m pretty sure they were always looking for free ticket. This was abused regularly. Then, investigators were hired to make sure people on admin leave were obeying the conditions of their home assignment and people on disability were really disabled.

Since workplace injuries aren’t subject to HIPAA, it’s getting harder to hide.
Seen nothing yet that bothers me. Perhaps I am crazy. Wife will tell you I am pure logic based, very little emotion, ever. Probably make the worst cop in history.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
Years ago I was loafing, drinking coffee and shooting the breeze at a local service station, back before everything became self service.
There was a helluva crash outside. We heard the impact and ran outside to the highway.
There was a car down over the bank in the field, and I went down to see if I could maybe help somebody.
I won’t go into detail about what I saw. Let me just say that the car had hit a truck head on hard enough to knock the front axle out from under the truck. The bumper of the truck was the height of the hood. The car went under the truck, but the hood was shoved back through the windshield. It had decapitated both the driver and the passenger.
Something I don’t ever care to see again.
There are a few people who I despise enough to maybe cause a lot of discomfort. People who have used their position and power to hurt other people for fun and profit.
I’ve read enough about the Indians , and I’ve got enough imagination that they’d be begging for death. Like I said in another thread, it’s a good thing I can’t get my hands on some people, because it’d probably cost me my salvation.
I’ve butchered beef cattle, pigs, and lots of wild game. That doesn’t bother me.
But to deliberately dissect another person, I just can’t imagine having the stomach.
That’s just beyond my capacity for evil.
7mm
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I'd say the number of people who want to become cops has dropped considerably in the last two years. We currently see very little public respect for cops, and it's a difficult, often thankless job. Society sure needs cops, but you wouldn't know it from the public discussion. It's a bad situation that will result in a lot more crime and violence.

This. I live in a town of about 70,000. We are a suburb and many folks move here because they feel safe and we are a long ways away from a ghetto. But, they are having a huge problem getting police candidates. And, many of the applicants can't get through the process before failing some part of it. The ones that get through are many times lured away by a department that pays more, has better shifts or more opportunity. Gone are the days of getting 50 candidates for 2 or 3 jobs. It sounds like 8 or 10 will show up for the written test and 4 or 5 will take the physical agility test.

If getting recruits is tough in our town can you imagine what it is like in some $hithole town ?? I predict the demise of the patrol officer in the next 10 years, especially in places like Minneapolis, LA, New York, Seattle or Chicago. I'm sure there will be some folks who are happy about that. I guess that explains why folks are leaving the blue States and blue cities. Or, at least part of the reason. Throw in the taxes and politics and there you go.

kwg
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Seen nothing yet that bothers me. Perhaps I am crazy. Wife will tell you I am pure logic based, very little emotion, ever. Probably make the worst cop in history.

I think that’s the best way to do it. Being overly emotional and having an ego that’s out of control is a recipe for embarrassment and disaster.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
What's wrong with a Guy wanting to get some head ?
I know several ex-LEO's who got too old and feeble to bully and intimidate people with a badge, a gun, and a set of blue lights. These days they're internet chat room moderators! "Keyboard Commandos!"
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
I did not know that their were other retired LE's on this forum! Wow I am amongst good company!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Have no interest in using tasers, bear spray or talking to azzholes.

Plus, you can get all of those you want right here.

Except the tasers and bear spray.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I retired on 12/01/2021. Once the dust settled a bit during a quiet moment, I began to realize/ remember some of the terrible things I have seen and experienced. I was able to voice some it to my wife. It felt better to talk about it. At least half of the incidents/ memories I spoke of she told me that she did recall me ever mentioning to her. i was shocked what I had filtered from her and my daughters. Last, I realized all the things that I had missed because of work. Family events, and such. I felt terrible about that but realized that I cannot get those moments back. They are gone and that haunts me at times, truly believe that the job is really a lifestyle that puts many other things to the side. I survived it and now I have to enjoy a life out of the game. 34 years was really to long of a run. I do not know where we will find those folks who are able to do the as it is today. God bless them and may god look after them.

Thanks for your service
I bet it was a long tough 34
Hank
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
I did not know that their were other retired LE's on this forum! Wow I am amongst good company!

I did 32 years as a civilian and 3 as an Army MP. I still do some part time security for a local County government. I see very little future for the patrol guys, especially in the $hithole cities. I hope the locals are prepared when the day comes they cannot call for an on duty police officer. America has to really change before Law Enforcement becomes a career again. I'm sorry to be so pessimistic. If the democRATs can so blatantly steal an election from a setting president what else can they do to destroy America ? Eliminating local police departments by making the job too risky personally and financially is just a start.

kwg
To those who served, and served well, you have my thanks.

P
Posted By: worriedman Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21

Whenever I’m behind someone and they drive at or below the speed limit and make zero mistakes, I assume they got warrants.

Or, they are tired of the increase in insurance rates or the threat of one more ticket and loosing their license. Some people can learn...
I know several ex-LEO's who got too old and feeble to bully and intimidate people with a badge, a gun, and a set of blue lights. These days they're internet chat room moderators! "Keyboard Commandos!"

You sure act like a great big gaping cundt.
A slow hand salute to all you public servants!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
Former BIL was a Illinois State Trooper.

no shortage of stories of him coming up on drug mules loaded with dope and cash. He could have built up a pretty nice nest egg if he wasn't as honest as the day is long.
Posted By: FWP Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21

BODY PARTS

We actually had a similar job. You can look it up. The guy was Gary Michael Heidnik.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_M._Heidnik
That's high praise, coming from a spandex-wearing vagina like yourself!

Unlikely on the nest egg. You only rip them off one time and they play for keeps. Unlike the failed judicial system. GW
That's high praise, coming from a spandex-wearing vagina like yourself!

Did a big, scary powiceman pull you over and frighten you one time? Maybe some PTSD counseling would help soothe the pain.
Posted By: FWP Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21

But there are a few A Holes!!
Posted By: Higginez Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by bowmanh

This. I live in a town of about 70,000. We are a suburb and many folks move here because they feel safe and we are a long ways away from a ghetto. But, they are having a huge problem getting police candidates. And, many of the applicants can't get through the process before failing some part of it. The ones that get through are many times lured away by a department that pays more, has better shifts or more opportunity. Gone are the days of getting 50 candidates for 2 or 3 jobs. It sounds like 8 or 10 will show up for the written test and 4 or 5 will take the physical agility test.

If getting recruits is tough in our town can you imagine what it is like in some $hithole town ?? I predict the demise of the patrol officer in the next 10 years, especially in places like Minneapolis, LA, New York, Seattle or Chicago. I'm sure there will be some folks who are happy about that. I guess that explains why folks are leaving the blue States and blue cities. Or, at least part of the reason. Throw in the taxes and politics and there you go.

kwg

Yep. A guy would have to be an idiot to want to go into law enforcement these days. The bar will be lowered to fill positions and it will snowball.
My Son has been a Police Officer for 19 years. He has served well. He is Reserve Tactical Flight Officer and plays Bagpipes for the honor guard. He is hanging it up in a couple of weeks and has been accepted as a first officer for a major airlines. He used to love his job and got a real pleasure out of helping people. I hate to see him leave but I completely understand.

Jim
Originally Posted by worriedman

Or, they are tired of the increase in insurance rates or the threat of one more ticket and loosing their license. Some people can learn...

That was a joke. “You drive like you got warrants or something!”
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21

It is not an act.

mike r
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/27/21
All new LEO must know Kung Foo.

That’s the answer.

🦫😂
How many still flash their lights at oncoming traffic if you see a cop set up on the side of the road?
Posted By: lima1seven Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
How many still flash their lights at oncoming traffic if you see a cop set up on the side of the road?

I’ve only seen that in Texas and that was about 20 years ago. Asked the people I was with what was going on and they said there was a cop ahead. Sure enough couple miles up the road was an officer running radar.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by lima1seven

I’ve only seen that in Texas and that was about 20 years ago. Asked the people I was with what was going on and they said there was a cop ahead. Sure enough couple miles up the road was an officer running radar.

There is a crooked little municipality up the road from me and you betcha, when I go through there and see them working speed traps I flash my lights to oncoming traffic and will continue to do so. Many people don't even know what it means or don't pay attention, but the truckers sure do. They will flash back or toot their horns, maybe wave, and when they do it makes me feel good all over that I potentially saved one of those great Americans from getting robbed by those blood suckers.

Everyone knows they are borderline crooks including the cops who work for them.

They aren't looking for criminals, they are looking for traffic fines.....believe me. I had to go to court there a few years ago for rolling a stop sign. There was a tree to my left that I couldn't see around very well and I let the car roll so I could see what was coming. A cop saw me do it and wrote me up. When I was in court a trucker was fined for going 5 miles over. I thought I had the stinkiest chickenshit ticket but I concede that he beat me. That kind of BS is nothing more than common theft under the guise of "law enforcement". I have no more respect for the "officers" and "judges" that participate in that racket than I would for a pick pocket.
Posted By: Cntrmass Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
Where’s the video?
Rolled the stop sign at what 15mph?

No video- didn’t happen!
Originally Posted by RJY66

There is a crooked little municipality up the road from me and you betcha, when I go through there and see them working speed traps I flash my lights to oncoming traffic and will continue to do so. Many people don't even know what it means or don't pay attention, but the truckers sure do. They will flash back or toot their horns, maybe wave, and when they do it makes me feel good all over that I potentially saved one of those great Americans from getting robbed by those blood suckers.

They aren't looking for criminals, they are looking for traffic fines.....believe me. I had to go to court there a few years ago for rolling a stop sign. There was a tree to my left that I couldn't see around very well and I let the car roll so I could see what was coming. A cop saw me do it and wrote me up. When I was in court a trucker was fined for going 5 miles over. I thought I had the stinkiest chickenshit ticket but I concede that he beat me. That kind of BS is nothing more than common theft under the guise of "law enforcement". I have no more respect for the "officers" and "judges" that participate in that racket than I would for a pick pocket.

Another reason a cop's job is tough. Traffic tickets are for the other people who break the law.
Posted By: deflave Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21

My whole life everywhere I’ve lived.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by deflave

My whole life everywhere I’ve lived.

God bless you. Youre a great American. Me too.
Posted By: deflave Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21

He’s quite the dumb ass, ain’t he?

LOL
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21

Another reason a cop's job is tough. Traffic tickets are for the other people who break the law.

Kinda hard to have much empathy for police over traffic tickets in particular, when the average cruiser on the road seems to be going about 85 miles an hour at all times. I doubt if they are writing each other very many speeding tickets.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
True , but remember that often they are trying to get to a call for service that may not hesitate a code response but as always incidents can and will degrade. Most departments run single man cars. So you are often on your own for most of time. That is a bad thing in our current environment. Ambushed incidents are way up. At my agency when you exceed the the speed limit the in car camera turns on. A few years ago auto accidents were the the number one killer of police. Now it is gun fire! Many departments have made their people slow down just be cause of all the benefits it brings, So now, we are in mode of 'I'll get there when I get there".
Posted By: g5m Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
A good friend, retired LEO, has told me of some of the scenes that haunt him. Very bad stuff.
Posted By: las Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
I am thankful there are those doing that job, but it would take three times normal earnings and a lot of time off for me to go into that line of work. Has to be especially hard in small communities where all are known entities seeing one another on almost a daily basis.

It is why Alaska villages are largely lawless. Everyone is related to everyone, or if not, they are feuding. sometimes both. No one in the village wants the job, and an outsider is automatically the bad guy to pretty much everyone.

Yet they whine about a lack of law enforcement.
Posted By: las Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
I hit my flasher lights for the cop thing sometimes, but mostly for moose near or on the road.

Every once in a while the oncoming traffic actually slows down. Not often.

I like moose....
Originally Posted by auk1124

Kinda hard to have much empathy for police over traffic tickets in particular, when the average cruiser on the road seems to be going about 85 miles an hour at all times. I doubt if they are writing each other very many speeding tickets.

Kinda hard to give a phuuk over traffic tickets, since any cop worth a schiet I've ever worked with didn't give a fly F about traffic, unless it involved almost killing someone. Nanna going 5 over? Who gives a F.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21

A good friend got a ticket in rural eastern NC coming home from visiting her
son. Several NC plated cars were passing her when she saw the cop,
But he didn't see them.😉
Two days after she got home, she got the official court notice.
The fine had to be paid in person, at a predetermined time.

Coincidently 😂😂😂😂 she received letters from several lawyers offering
to represent her. The same day!

Almost 80, and in fair health, she didn't want to drive 500 miles each way
for a 5 minute pre-determined hearing. The writing was on the wall and
she was stuck. (Exactly how it had been planned?)

So, she called a lawyer, they agreed to represent her.
$100 fee.
Plus$200 was their guess at the fine.
If they could lead it down, they would refund the balance!😂😂😂😂
She sent the money and I don't know if she ever heard anything again.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
I am aware of one small PD in Virginia that runs RADAR out on I-95. even though the interstate does not run thru their town. They get a direct percentage of the revenue generated from the citations issued. In Maryland i am not aware of the state returning funds generated for citations. One reason My former agency does not and will have performance expectations in traffic enforcement. or for that matter in any area of enforcement. Thank god for that!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by worriedman

Both of you are right. Those guys with warrants and they have one ounce of brains and they are very low profile. Others, they have too many tickets or they are already under suspension and they are either on the verge of illegal or they are illegal. Typically, they have a job or a wife and kids and are trying to clean up their act and they are trying to run out their suspension clock. Getting stopped starts the clock all over again.

Then you have the "I don't give a fu&k" folks and they are balls to the walls. They have nothing to lose and hate anyone of any authority. Use your imagination and I think you can figure it all out who is dangerous and who wants to be "out of sight and out of mind". Unfortunately, the "out of sight and out of mind" are getting fewer and the "balls to the wall" guys are getting braver and more of them. Throw in a bunch of new rules about engagement and use of force and you can see what you get. It's a very complicated world and it does not have to be. Nothing is going to change any time soon.

kwg
Posted By: Vek Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21

No, just illegals with no paperwork.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/28/21
I am aware of one small PD in Virginia that runs RADAR out on I-95. even though the interstate does not run thru their town. They get a direct percentage of the revenue generated from the citations issued. In Maryland i am not aware of the state returning funds generated for citations. One reason My former agency does not and will have performance expectations in traffic enforcement. or for that matter in any area of enforcement. Thank god for that!
`

There was a small department outside of Ft. Hood Texas doing that very same thing. I don't recall the highway number but it was a divided 4 lane at 65 mph. Suddenly the speed limit went down to 55 with only one sign indicating a speed change with no signs of a town or city and no exit ramps. That place was making some big bank. Finally, the Texas DPS got involved and in the end the small town was court ordered to stop what they were doing and they were forced to eliminate the speed reduction.

It's issues like this that cause law enforcement agencies a lot of negative issues. I hated it when the patrol supervisor insisted on seeing tickets as proof you were "working" . Not that I didn't make stops. On most of the years I worked nights I was getting 25 OWI's (DUI) a year. I was stopping cars and doing my part. A good officer is stopping cars and talking to people but that doesn't mean tickets are written or everyone goes to jail.

kwg
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21

BODY PARTS

https://apnews.com/article/texas-las-vegas-california-nevada-9285b57285fa85415de9aa0ab828a9c5

[Linked Image from storage.googleapis.com]

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A prosecutor in Las Vegas told a judge Tuesday that a man jailed after police found the severed head and body parts of an acquaintance in the truck he was driving has prior felony and federal criminal convictions dating to the 1980s in states including California, Texas and Nevada.

Eric Holland stood in court flanked by heavily armed security guards and an attorney temporarily appointed to his case for a brief hearing at which a Las Vegas judge ordered him held without bail pending another court appearance next week.

Justice of the Peace Harmony Letizia set a preliminary hearing of evidence for Jan. 27.

Holland, 57, was not asked to enter a plea to the murder charge against him, and his attorney, Deputy Public Defender Sarah Hawkins, declined outside court to comment on his behalf.

Prosecutor Giancarlo Pesci listed Holland’s three-state criminal history under names including Eric John Holland and Eric Allen Holland, and told the judge that Holland represents a danger to the community and should not be allowed out on bail.

Holland’s alleged victim was identified Tuesday as Richard P. Miller of Las Vegas. The Clark County coroner said Miller died last Thursday from multiple gunshot wounds and his death was a homicide.

“The victim is literally cut into pieces,” Pesci said in court. “His head is cut off.”

Holland “fled from police” in an allegedly stolen truck and then got into another allegedly stolen vehicle before he was arrested, the prosecutor said.

Police later found receipts in the vehicles for items purchased from a home improvement store where Pesci said Holland was seen on security cameras pushing a cart with a saw in it.

“This is an individual who literally had the body cut up into pieces in that car that he flees from the police (in),” he told the judge, “who has felonies spanning four decades and a current case pending.”

Outside court, Pesci said Holland and Miller knew each other, but he didn’t know the extent of their acquaintance.

Holland had been sought since May 2019 on an arrest warrant in a 2018 case in Las Vegas accusing him of embezzlement, identity theft, issuing false checks and theft, according to court records. He had posted $5,000 bail in that case.

KLAS-TV in Las Vegas reported that court records showed Holland was accused in 2018 of stealing a truck and selling it.

Holland served prison time in Nevada for a felony conviction in Las Vegas on theft charges stemming from a forgery case filed in 2000. Prison records say he used names including John Carl Hall, Phil Whidden, Robert Daniel Lauer and Steven Tauber.

His previous convictions as an adult date to 1987 in California for embezzlement, property theft and false identification, Pesci said, and Holland also had a conviction in federal court in Texas in a counterfeiting case.

Pesci said Holland was found guilty in California in 1997 of assault with a deadly weapon and resisting arrest causing substantial bodily harm, and records show Holland also was convicted in 1991 in U.S. District Court in Texas of attempted escape and aiding in an escape. His post-prison supervision was transferred to Nevada in 2014.

Holland’s arrest Thursday came after he drove away from police trying to stop him in an allegedly stolen truck. Police said he then switched to another truck that he tried to abandon before he was captured.

“Holland threw various items at officers in an attempt to flee, but he was taken into custody,” police said in a statement.

Officers searching the second truck discovered the dismembered human remains in ice chests, homicide Lt. Ray Spencer told KLAS-TV.

“I mean, you can imagine the horror when you open up an ice chest and you find a human head inside,” Spencer said.
Posted By: hanco Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21
For every one they catch, how many more out there they don’t????

Son in law says they mostly catch the dumb law breakers.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21
Originally Posted by hanco

said many times but if you watch enough episodes of 'The Next 48' you realize that about 70% of those cases are solved because the suspect tries to lie his way out of it. If he just goes dumb "I don't know anything about what you are talking about" and then lawyer up when they arrest him, a good number of those guys would be back out on the street.

I mean I'm glad they are dumb and try to lie, but damn.

I saw one that was particularly bad last week. A young man was with 3 of his friends. One of his friends is messing around with another guys girlfriend, she starts schit so the 4 guys go to where the BF lives, one of the 4 pulls out a gun and shoots the guy. So the young man that did not pull the trigger is hiding out. The police roll up after him with a swat team at his mommas house, scare her to death and have her call him. She calls him and says "they just want to talk to you" - so momma set his ass up right off the bat. He tells the police where he is at (cause, you know , momma), they pick him up and during the interrogation the cop is like "look, I know you didn't pull the trigger, so if you want to help yourself here, you need to give up who did" - so he does after trying to dance around who did it and claim he didn't see it (of course they already have eye witnesses, how do you think they found your dumbass).....and they still arrest his ass for murder , he goes to trial and gets like 20 years in prison.

shut the F' up man. that's all he had to do.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21

BODY PARTS

My father was a lawman in Santa Cruz CA back in the 60’s, during the crazy times. The Ohtas, Mullins, Kemper, I grew up on the cop talk they never realized we heard. The old man was shot in the 60’s, had a gun put to his head in the 70’s, I said no thank you in the 80’s. He told me back then he didn’t blame me, the job wasn’t the same anymore. “We used to be respected in this town, now our own city council works against us, turns the public against us”. That was back in the 80’s, now it’s five times as bad.
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by hanco

said many times but if you watch enough episodes of 'The Next 48' you realize that about 70% of those cases are solved because the suspect tries to lie his way out of it. If he just goes dumb "I don't know anything about what you are talking about" and then lawyer up when they arrest him, a good number of those guys would be back out on the street.

I mean I'm glad they are dumb and try to lie, but damn.

I saw one that was particularly bad last week. A young man was with 3 of his friends. One of his friends is messing around with another guys girlfriend, she starts schit so the 4 guys go to where the BF lives, one of the 4 pulls out a gun and shoots the guy. So the young man that did not pull the trigger is hiding out. The police roll up after him with a swat team at his mommas house, scare her to death and have her call him. She calls him and says "they just want to talk to you" - so momma set his ass up right off the bat. He tells the police where he is at (cause, you know , momma), they pick him up and during the interrogation the cop is like "look, I know you didn't pull the trigger, so if you want to help yourself here, you need to give up who did" - so he does after trying to dance around who did it and claim he didn't see it (of course they already have eye witnesses, how do you think they found your dumbass).....and they still arrest his ass for murder , he goes to trial and gets like 20 years in prison.

shut the F' up man. that's all he had to do.

One of my favorite shows. Criminals have always lied, but now video and cell phone records make it almost impossible to get away with murder.
If you decide to become a policeman remember every stop is a FELONY STOP. I spent almost 25 years watching the results of a court sending guys to prison. It was always my fault they were there. And if they came back they "caught a case". I had very few that said you know officer, I did it. Be safe and Be Well. RZ.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
To those who served, and served well, you have my thanks.

P

This in spades

With the addition of those currently serving
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21
Hey, cops in Canada are getting worse. They used to join the force because they cared about there communities, and wanted to make a difference. Now they join because it's good pay, good benefits, good retirement,, easy work, just drive around in an air condition car and hand out tickets like a meter maid. Nothing to serious up here in Canuckastan, yet! There used to be good cops, now there getting scarce. Most now are the guys in school whom no one would hang around with and no one hangs with them now, except other cops. Yes most are on a power trip, including the women!!! Can't imagine getting a call to a bar with a fight in progress and your partner is a 4ft 14in female. No I don't have much use for them, they are simply put (glorified tax collectors) if there's anything serious going down they call in swat, that's a whole other ball of cowboys. Yes I have stories to back it up!!! Don't get me started...... Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Originally Posted by Barkoff

BODY PARTS

My father was a lawman in Santa Cruz CA back in the 60’s, during the crazy times. The Ohtas, Mullins, Kemper, I grew up on the cop talk they never realized we heard. The old man was shot in the 60’s, had a gun put to his head in the 70’s, I said no thank you in the 80’s. He told me back then he didn’t blame me, the job wasn’t the same anymore. “We used to be respected in this town, now our own city council works against us, turns the public against us”. That was back in the 80’s, now it’s five times as bad.

That’s what is killing it for me. The local government, various councils, and fringe activists are taken way too seriously by administration and end up dealing with knee-jerk changes or bogus disciplinary reviews.

The public treats us great. Just about every day, someone says something really nice to me or tries to pay for lunch or something. This takes the sting off the other crap.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21
With the amount of heinous murders the cops in cities see on a day to day basis, I'm surprised there isn't more problems with mental problems among their ranks. They see black kids murdering people for tennis shoes or 40 bucks worth of weed, so I can't blame them for being fast on the draw when some thug starts reaching for a weapon.

That’s what is killing it for me. The local government, various councils, and fringe activists are taken way too seriously by administration and end up dealing with knee-jerk changes or bogus disciplinary reviews.

The public treats us great. Just about every day, someone says something really nice to me or tries to pay for lunch or something. This takes the sting off the other crap.

That’s pretty much what he felt. He loved the street patrol, he loved helping people out, then when he became a Deputy Chief he was miserable having to deal the the city council.

Because our name was very rare, people would recognize it and always ask me, “was your father the cop?” Every time it was followed by “do you know what he did once?”. Every time I was asked that my guard went up, but every time it was followed by a story about how he had helped them out. These were people I had never met before. From talking angry parents down to giving people rides home, most of the stories I heard would not be possible for police today in the world of lawsuits and civilian review boards.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21
Originally Posted by reivertom
With the amount of heinous murders the cops in cities see on a day to day basis, I'm surprised there isn't more problems with mental problems among their ranks. They see black kids murdering people for tennis shoes or 40 bucks worth of weed, so I can't blame them for being fast on the draw when some thug starts reaching for a weapon.

Which may be part of the reason Goerge Floyd found himself under a cop's knee. You can't send good people into those $hitholes every day and not have them come out being mean and pi$$ed off. The good folks of Minneapolis are going to find out the hard way again come summer. It's just too cold to do any meaningful protesting in Minnesota in the winter time. Their day is coming. Again.
kwg
Posted By: Hubert Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21
What was he saving the head for?? there is very little good meat on a human head to eat...
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/30/21
Originally Posted by Hubert
What was he saving the head for?? there is very little good meat on a human head to eat...

Brains & Eggs is a favorite dish for some people. Maybe ......?? grin

L.W.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Why I couldn't be a cop - 12/31/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

A good friend got a ticket in rural eastern NC coming home from visiting her
son. Several NC plated cars were passing her when she saw the cop,
But he didn't see them.😉
Two days after she got home, she got the official court notice.
The fine had to be paid in person, at a predetermined time.

Coincidently 😂😂😂😂 she received letters from several lawyers offering
to represent her. The same day!

Almost 80, and in fair health, she didn't want to drive 500 miles each way
for a 5 minute pre-determined hearing. The writing was on the wall and
she was stuck. (Exactly how it had been planned?)

So, she called a lawyer, they agreed to represent her.
$100 fee.
Plus$200 was their guess at the fine.
If they could lead it down, they would refund the balance!😂😂😂😂
She sent the money and I don't know if she ever heard anything again.

Darndest thing. I've been away since posting on this thread doing some visiting with family and all but forgot about it but the following caused me to remember.....

One of my old aunts got a ticket on the way to our get together whilst driving through a little town in Hampton County SC. Won't name it just in case.

Anyway my Aunt gets pulled over and told she was speeding. I asked her was she and she says she really did not know....she is older and probably drives too slow if anything....but she may have sped up too fast in their speed trap leaving town, who knows, I wasn't there. The officer tells her that she (female black cop lady in a 95% diversified town) was only going to charge her with not wearing a seat belt. My Aunt says but I am wearing a seat belt. The cop lady replies well the speeding fine is 400 some odd dollars and so many points on your insurance but no seatbelt is only 25 bucks which do you want?

Nothing shady about that! laugh

My aunt said that she kinda wanted to go to court and ask to see the radar or whatever. I said mail them the $25 consider it chickenshit tax or driving in Tinytown, S.C. with a Georgia tag during the holidays tax and be glad it was that cheap and forget about it. Darn good chance the police woman is the daughter, niece, or Grand daughter of the judge anyway. Good luck with that. BTDT.

I know from the replies I just read that some of you did not appreciate my observations on "law enforcement" in these parts. Perhaps some of you are officers that are as pure as the driven snow and never break any rules when you drive and behave in a much more professional manner in discharging your duties in your locales and only write tickets to punish the guilty and protect the innocent without regard to revenues and quotas. Maybe so, maybe not.

Suffice it to say, some things are "different down here" in some places.......often amusingly so! laugh

I'm gonna keep flashing my lights and thanks to any and all who flash their lights at me! Ya'll do what you want.

Happy new year!

© 24hourcampfire