Home
Posted By: cra1948 I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Out running errands, stopped at a lgs to check out consignments. While looking over a 6” Python with a sad reblue, I overheard the counter guy explaining to a guy that the problem was he was trying to use.308 ammo in a .30-06.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
I think that I found one of his cases at the range one day.
Posted By: las Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Just because someone can vote, doesn't mean they should, either. smile
Posted By: horse1 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
He's fire-forming "300 Savage Long" cases with those really short necks.
Posted By: dale06 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
A friend asked me to sight in his BAR 30-06. He gave me a bunch of mis matched ammo to use, including 8MM Mauser. He’s a lawyer.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Years ago my dumfuuk liberal uncle claimed that “the Viet Cong could use 5.56/223 ammunition in their rifles.”
He then continued with “Unlike during WW2 when we could use the German’s ammo in our rifles.”
I was a teenager at the time and had been taught to not publicly disagree with adults, but it was obvious to me that he didn’t know his azz from a hole in the ground.
Posted By: m1rifleman Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
technically he was right. as soon as they got M16s from our ARVN troops
Posted By: ol_mike Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Had conversation with 3 guys who worked at Bay County, Florida Gun Range north of Panama City Beach, I had no idea there were so many firearm know-nothings.

Their stories of 'sight in days' before deer season were hilarious & scary, scary that someone so stupid is walking around in the woods with a loaded gun.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Friends uncle fired a 308 in a 280.
No injuries, but it didn't go well.
I ask if it was hard to chamber, no one seemed to know.
Maybe another good reason to have good neck tension?
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Years ago my dumfuuk liberal uncle claimed that the Viet Cong could use 5.56/223 ammunition in their rifles.
Unlike during WW2 when we could use the German’s ammo in our rifles. I was a teenager at the time and had been taught to not publicly disagree with adults, but it was obvious to me that he didn’t know his azz from a hole in the ground.

Sorry, but the 8x57 cartridge used by German forces in WWII was not interchangeable with U.S. 30/06 cartridge. The most telling is the German round is .323" in diameter while the 30/06 is .308". That .015" difference is rather dramatic and would likely lead to some over pressure situations.

One can load the 8x57 round in a 30/06 chamber but the above mentioned differences in bullet diameter is going to create some problems.

Or you may be thinking of the Finnish 7.62x53R round which is the same as the Russian 7.62x54R. Or the British 303 and the Japanese 7.7x58 Rimmed which are also one and the same.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
I was out at a local range many years ago and this guy two benches down was shooting his rifle. I was watching him as his shooting technique sucked. he had his fired cases laying on the bench and I asked him what he was shooting, he replied 300 mag, I got up walked over and asked which one as I never seen a case like that before. here he was shooting 300 win mag out of a 300 wby mag, very short necks after fireforming. i packed up and left
Posted By: smokepole Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Had conversation with 3 guys who worked at Bay County, Florida Gun Range north of Panama City Beach, I had no idea there were so many firearm know-nothings.

Their stories of 'sight in days' before deer season were hilarious & scary, scary that someone so stupid is walking around in the woods with a loaded gun.

Our range used to have "sight-in day" for non-members. I worked it one time and my only job was to check ammo against rifle. I didn't find any mismatches but the club decided to stop having sight-in days because of all the stupid stunts people would pull.

One year my job was to collect everyone's $10 fee. The guy in charge gave me a list of 3-4 people who'd written bad checks the previous year and told me to be on the lookout.

Sure enough, a guy on "the list" showed up and tried to write another bad $10 check. How low do you have to be to pass bad $10 checks?
Posted By: mathman Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
I've seen 300 Weatherchester brass. Or is it Wincherby?
Posted By: Sycamore Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by mathman

300W
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
30 carbine in a savage 110 223 , wasn’t there but the owner had the gall to ask me if I would take it to a smith .
Alcohol, mix of ammo on bench , somebody from Newport News that obviously shouldn’t have been shooting .

Then recently, BIL told me about his son , in late 20’s just out of the service buying a 270 and bitching something was wrong with the gun , BIL takes a look and he is trying to chamber 30-06 rds .
Went there to hunt a few weeks back and there was his son walking through the woods , I waved , made a halfass circle up the hill to my vehicle and haven’t been back .
Posted By: Boise Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
I have two Sako Vixens that are the same vintage with nearly identical scopes, one in 223 and one in 222 Mag. I've shot several 223s in the magnum, never intentionally, but have hit prairie dogs with the wrong ammo. Ruins the cases but I have LOTS of 223 empties.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Years ago my dumfuuk liberal uncle claimed that the Viet Cong could use 5.56/223 ammunition in their rifles.
Unlike during WW2 when we could use the German’s ammo in our rifles. I was a teenager at the time and had been taught to not publicly disagree with adults, but it was obvious to me that he didn’t know his azz from a hole in the ground.

Sorry, but the 8x57 cartridge used by German forces in WWII was not interchangeable with U.S. 30/06 cartridge. The most telling is the German round is .323" in diameter while the 30/06 is .308". That .015" difference is rather dramatic and would likely lead to some over pressure situations.

One can load the 8x57 round in a 30/06 chamber but the above mentioned differences in bullet diameter is going to create some problems.

Or you may be thinking of the Finnish 7.62x53R round which is the same as the Russian 7.62x54R. Or the British 303 and the Japanese 7.7x58 Rimmed which are also one and the same.

Sorry,m I wasn’t clear about it,the WW2 comment was uncle dumfuuk’s not mine.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Was at Walmart years ago and saw a guy buying ammo. The female clerk didn’t know a thing, so he turned to me and showed me a box of 375 Winchester ammo and asked if it would work in his 375 H&H. My answer was “It’ll work. Once.”

The bigger shock was how someone like him ended up with a 375 H&H. Obviously went to an LGS and asked for the most badass thing they had because he had to swing his dick when he went to his first moose camp.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21

A not uncommon thing to hear around SEA during my time over there was that the AK47 used the same ammo a the M-14, an idea spawned no doubt by the fact that both are 30 caliber.
Posted By: 700LH Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21

Dude!
Posted By: 700LH Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by cra1948

A not uncommon thing to hear around SEA during my time over there was that the AK47 used the same ammo a the M-14, an idea spawned no doubt by the fact that both are 30 caliber.

A 7.62 bullet is a couple of thousands wider diameter than .308.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
P.O. Ackley actually ran some tests in the early 1950's where he fired 8 X 57 rounds in a .30-06 Springfield bolt action. If the case neck could expand enough to release the bullet, that .323 bullet would swage itself down and exit the .308 bore without doing any damage. If the chamber throat was tight enough to grip the case neck tightly, the action would explode. He also wrote that the strongest actions of all the ones he tested were the Jap Arisakas- - - -they would survive multiple overpressure loads that would banana-peel plugged barrels, with no apparent damage!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21

I’ve told this one before. We have a bench at our hunting club and I went out one day to test some loads and found some cases with the double radius, Weatherby shoulder but with necks only about 1/4” long. WTH? was my first reaction but when I looked at the headstamp and it said, “300 Win Mag”, I figured it out but didn’t know who had done it.

I was talking to one of the guys in the club several days later and he said “So and So bought a Weatherby Mk V, 300 Wby and when the store owner told him the price of a box of ammo, he figured he could find it cheaper somewhere else.”

Well, our new Weatherby owner proceeded to Wally world and asked for “300 Magnum” ammo and the clerk sold him the 300 Win Mag ammo.

Weeks later, with the proper ammo 😁 “So and So” shot one of the largest bucks we killed on our lease that year.. He was so excited that while climbing out of the stand, he dropped the rifle and like a spear, it stuck muzzle first in the mud. 😳

He’s not hunting with us anymore.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Years ago a friend and I were in a gun store when he decided he needed some more 300 WM but they were out. The clerk tried to sell him a box of 300 H&H and told him it would be fine. He is lucky I was around.
Posted By: mathman Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Years ago a friend and I were in a gun store when he decided he needed some more 300 WM but they were out. The clerk tried to sell him a box of 300 H&H and told him it would be fine. He is lucky I was around.

That's one that would have been OK with a Weatherby.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
I once saw a guy bring a bolt to the gun counter at our local WalMart. He said it didn’t work. The employee behind the counter took a bolt of out of another rifle and swapped with him. I learned quickly that the whole concept of headspace could not be explained to either of them. I’m sure glad I don’t have to shoot on a public range.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by ackleydave

That's one that would have been OK with a Weatherby.

My bad I should have specified that it was a Winchester magnum
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Was he a small guy with narrow shoulders and a head too big to be properly supported by his waif sized neck ?

Yeah, you saw Frank aka “Happy Glamper”

Soon he’ll be posting up how he saved an LG store from being blown to pieces by a guy with wrong ammo jammed in his rifle.

Wait for it.....

🙄🦫
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Ha Ha! My buddy couldnt figure out what was wrong with his reloads for his 44 magnum. Damn brass just was torn up, and his groups were terrible. When he got home he finally figured it out, he had grabbed his 41 mag reloads. At least no one got hurt.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21

very short neck
Posted By: CashisKing Re: I finally saw it… - 12/28/21
Out running errands, stopped at a lgs to check out consignments. While looking over a 6” Python with a sad reblue, I overheard the counter guy explaining to a guy that the problem was he was trying to use.308 ammo in a .30-06.

Better than .338F or .358W in a .30-06... I reckon.
Posted By: AZmark Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
I'm not a guide but guided a guy from AK on a cow elk hunt here in the unit where I live. Put him on a herd of cows within 3 hrs of taking him out. A 75 yd broadside shot with a rest on a log and the cow just looks around at the mountain behind her, I couldnt believe he missed, so he takes another shot and missed again and they all run away. Next day, same thing at about 100 yds, rest on a tree branch, misses and they all run away.

So I had to work the next day and another of his hunting partners takes him out to check zero on his rifle and after 3 shots at a 4x4 piece of cardboard and cant figure out where he's hitting looks at a spent case. 7mm Mag in a 300 WMag rifle.

I didnt take him out anymore after that.
Posted By: cv540 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Last year I went to a local range on a Saturday I'm October. The range boss was someone I hadn't seen before.
-He asked what I was shooting and I told him "a .350 Remington mag."

-He replied very dismissively "You mean a .357 magnum??"

-I repeated "no, a 350 magnum."

-He said, "there isn't any such round."

I silently opened my range bag, and handed him an unfired round. He looked at it and said "I've never heard of this."

-I said "I know you were thinking I was a dumbazz but I guess...."
Posted By: gemby58 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
had a guy on my pistol range shooting, walked over and he threw a pistol in a 5 gallon bucket I thought nice way to treat your guns grab another one and in about 4 shoots he does the same. I stopped him and asked what's going on, he had four 45acp in the bucket that jammed with a loaded round not into battery he was shooting reloads and the primers weren't seated all the way. couldnt open it to clear it, he said he was going to take them home to clear them i told him you should do it here in the open and not in a house. he grabbed one of the jammed 45 and stated banging the rear of the slide on the bench I said stop, take them home to do that
Posted By: local_dirt Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Lol.

Sadist. 😂😂😂😆😆😆
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Did you see the green flash too?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I think that I found one of his cases at the range one day.

You live near Jell0?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by AZmark
I'm not a guide but guided a guy from AK on a cow elk hunt here in the unit where I live. Put him on a herd of cows within 3 hrs of taking him out. A 75 yd broadside shot with a rest on a log and the cow just looks around at the mountain behind her, I couldnt believe he missed, so he takes another shot and missed again and they all run away. Next day, same thing at about 100 yds, rest on a tree branch, misses and they all run away.

So I had to work the next day and another of his hunting partners takes him out to check zero on his rifle and after 3 shots at a 4x4 piece of cardboard and cant figure out where he's hitting looks at a spent case. 7mm Mag in a 300 WMag rifle.

I didnt take him out anymore after that.

Unreal.
Posted By: Boise Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Was at Walmart years ago and saw a guy buying ammo. The female clerk didn’t know a thing, so he turned to me and showed me a box of 375 Winchester ammo and asked if it would work in his 375 H&H. My answer was “It’ll work. Once.”

The bigger shock was how someone like him ended up with a 375 H&H. Obviously went to an LGS and asked for the most badass thing they had because he had to swing his dick when he went to his first moose camp.

I have a 375 H&H because my Alaskan guide felt my 280 was smaller than he liked for SE Alaskan black bears. The rifle was well received in Namibia. My point being on some hunts a 375 H&H is appropriate in the eyes of the guides. But then your view is likely accurate of the Walmart shopper.
Posted By: AbeJohnsen Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
In high school went hunting with 2 buddies, cut afternoon class. I was shooting 7mag , my buddy was shooting his dads browning in 7mag, the other guy was shooting a 270 win he got from his grandpa . Anyways we split up and I heard a shot but it didn’t sound right . Walk back and meet up and my buddy is looking at his old man’s browning shaking his head. Says he had a buck at 100 yrds and took a shot but seen snow kick up at 50 yrds. Then he said he couldn’t get the bolt open..
However he done it he had grabbed a 270 shell out of the vehicle and put it in the magazine without knowing.
Not sure how it even fired but it did , took it to my dad and he managed to get the bolt tapped open and used a cleaning rod to knock out the case .
He done a quick check and figured action looked ok .
We never did tell my buddies dad and as far as I know he still has that rifle today.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Heard about one dumbass in Montana went elk hunting with a 7-08 rifle and 22-250 ammo and he and his guide chased elk in their truck. Complete dumbass, not the partial kind.
Posted By: skeen Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
I finally saw it… .

Aw, man, I thought this was gonna be another Bigfoot thread. blush
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
My grandpa brought back a Type 38 from the war. Many years ago I went to the LGS and asked for some 6.5 Jap. Was told, condescendingly, that I meant 6.5 Swede. Have not set foot in there since.
Posted By: las Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
The year I planned on having my new wife shoot her first Dall ram with a .45 Seneca, I learned it's best to be sure one has the powder along.

She had to shoot her ram with a .270, instead, at 35 yards.

On my first sheep hunt (solo) 3 years before (same place), I ran into two scruffy guys decked out in new LLBean Safari outfits, carrying brand new .300 Weatherby's. I figured them for drug dealers, who had just scored big, decided they were hunters, and hit a gun store....

They asked what I was carrying and I said ".243" Remington 700"

"Huh. I never heard of that!"

"Well, I gotta go now!" smile

We were 6 miles in, on an 18 mile OW trek to the sheep mountain, and they were coming back, having failed to navigate around a peak in between at 11 mile. They tried to sidehill around it, instead of following the heavily used game trail up the spur ridge and over. 1,000 foot elevation rise was just too much, for someone dumber than a caribou.

Damned near killed me packing my full curl over that thing in one load, so maybe they were smarter than I at that.... Three times in 3 successive years, including our honeymoon.

I wish I was young enough to do it again! The hunt- not the forgetting the powder. I can probably still do that if I concentrate.
Posted By: skeen Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by las
The year I planned on having my new wife shoot her first Dall ram with a .45 Seneca, I learned it's best to be sure one has the powder along.

She had to shoot her ram with a .270, instead, at 35 yards.

On my first sheep hunt (solo) 3 years before (same place), I ran into two scruffy guys decked out in new LLBean Safari outfits, carrying brand new .300 Weatherby's. I figured them for drug dealers, who had just scored big, decided they were hunters, and hit a gun store....

They asked what I was carrying and I said ".243" Remington 700"

"Huh. I never heard of that!"

"Well, I gotta go now!" smile

We were 6 miles in, on an 18 mile OW trek to the sheep mountain, and they were coming back, having failed to navigate around a peak in between at 11 mile. They tried to sidehill around it, instead of following the heavily used game trail up the spur ridge and over. 1,000 foot elevation rise was just too much, for someone dumber than a caribou.

Damned near killed me packing my full curl over that thing in one load, so maybe they were smarter than I at that.... Three times in 3 successive years, including our honeymoon.

I wish I was young enough to do it again! The hunt- not the forgetting the powder. I can probably still do that if I concentrate.

laugh laugh
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
..., I overheard the counter guy explaining to a guy that the problem was he was trying to use.308 ammo in a .30-06.

And in reply why do I hear this in my head?

"Maaan, my stupid friend that reloads told me 308 and 30-06 use the same bullets. What a dumbazz".
Posted By: Teal Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
I've shared this in the past but again -

The best I head was a gentleman asking the counter guy for advice. Wanted a deer rifle but also something for game "out west some day".

Counter guy - "This is a 7-08. It's a 7mm Remington Magnum necked down to 308 and it will knock a moose on its ass at 1000 yards"

The comments are on both sides of the counter I'm sure and while I've become a huge proponent of the 708 as I got older, it's not a 1000 yard moose cartridge and it certainly is a trick to go DOWN from .284 to .308 - cartridge length aside.
Posted By: Dutch Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Originally Posted by Teal
I've shared this in the past but again -

The best I head was a gentleman asking the counter guy for advice. Wanted a deer rifle but also something for game "out west some day".

Counter guy - "This is a 7-08. It's a 7mm Remington Magnum necked down to 308 and it will knock a moose on its ass at 1000 yards"

The comments are on both sides of the counter I'm sure and while I've become a huge proponent of the 708 as I got older, it's not a 1000 yard moose cartridge and it certainly is a trick to go DOWN from .284 to .308 - cartridge length aside.

I had a counter monkey tell me that the 22LR was the highest pressure of any cartridge. I was literally speechless.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
I mentioned recently on another thread, the afternoon a high school friend pulled up to shoot the bull with a bunch of us hanging out downtown and had his SMLE in the car with him. On the dash he had boxes of .303 British and .303 Savage ammo.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
One I have told here before... Local WalMart gun guru (used to have tables at lots of gun shows) was answering a guy looking for a leftie 338WM. With a nod and a knowing wink guru tells him he can order one for him. "And as long as you are ordering you should look at the .340Weatherby because it might not sound like much but the extra two thousandths makes a huge difference!"
Posted By: ihookem Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
The worst tha has happened to me was just a few things. I was told a .243 WIn Was not enough for deer and needed a 7-08 from the gun store counter guy. However, one time, I did find a 30-06 bullet in my hunting jacket when I was hunting with my .270Win. I later decided to just sell the 30-06. However, I went to shoot my muzzleloader last year and forgot my ramrod, does that count as a dumb a$$?
Posted By: Cross Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
I've shared this before too but my buddy once made a mistake while sighting in 2 rifles at the same time. Touched off the 270 and somehow instantly knew he'd screwed up. There was another hole in the paper at 100 yards but when he opened the bolt, a very strange piece of brass popped out on the table. He'd fired a .308 Win. round through the .270 Winchester! Both the shooter and the rifle seemed to survive the mistake unharmed. Something to learn from. Keep your ammo and rifles well sorted at the range!
Posted By: TLB2 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Had a guy bring in a new savage 25-06 he fired a 308 out of. I got the brass out of it and extractor was broken.

Had another guy come in this week with a BAR in 270 with bolt stuck. I tapped it out with a cleaning rod and it was a live 6.5 creedmoor
Posted By: CashisKing Re: I finally saw it… - 12/29/21
Young gang banger at the LGS one day looking for ammo to his Glock 22.

I offered to help him in my natural help-a-fella-out kinda way.

Showed him where it said 22 on the gun...

Took him over to the 22LR section... and told him about all the types... lead, Match for super accuracy (able to fix a bad shot), rat shot.

Laid it on thicker and heavier as I went.

Guys at the counter were dying.

I know for certain that I saved lives that day.
Posted By: skfullen Re: I finally saw it… - 12/30/21
Keep em coming.

The only stupid thing I've heard lately was an unscrupulous table monkey at a gun show trying to sell a single action revolver to someone who never owned a gun before during the covid gun shortage. The potential buyer said he preferred a semi-auto for defensive use inside his home.

The idiot seller told him, it's single action, but you can always FAN the hammer like the gunfighters!"
Posted By: CashisKing Re: I finally saw it… - 12/30/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Heard about one dumbass in Montana went elk hunting with a 7-08 rifle and 22-250 ammo and he and his guide chased elk in their truck. Complete dumbass, not the partial kind.

Maybe if he a had a Savage 99 with a badazz purple Rhinoliner spray job... the story would have been different?

Your thoughts please... they matter so very much.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: I finally saw it… - 12/30/21
Buddy's Dad walked 4 days in Newfoundland on the bogs and finally stalked the moose he wanted to shoot. Tried like heck to get the bolt closed. 06 shell would NOT chamber in his .270 luckily. He DID get the Moose, shooting his hunting partner's left hand bolt action .340 Wby.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: I finally saw it… - 12/30/21
None of these stories surprise me. 99% of people don't know Jack squat about guns, just ask them. The only surprise is that more people don't blow their own face/head/assorted parts off doing something wrong with firearms.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: I finally saw it… - 12/30/21
I saw the “gun guy” that works the counter at our local Murdocks store sell a guy four boxes of 300 Norma magnum ammo. The purchaser wanted to be sure it was 300 win mag ammo just produced by Norma. The “gun guy” replied “there’s no such thing as a 300 Norma magnum”
Posted By: Masshunter Re: I finally saw it… - 12/30/21
Choosing a handgun to take to Maine on our annual deer hunt, I grabbed S&W 357, a box of handloads for rabbits if I scored a deer early, then on a whim I decided to grab a box of factory full house loads. Took a box or Winchesters off the top shelf and stuffed it in my ammo bag. Imagine my surprise unpacking to find I'd grabbed 351SL. No harm, but a reminder to be careful every time
© 24hourcampfire