Home

Came right through Podunk headed to the job..

This kid with the stuck jeep had no business being there...alone especially

Matt's operation is 4+ hrs away in Hurricane Utah

I love their videos.
that had to cost him an arm and a leg or two
Expensive T shirt 🤣

I think Matt makes a lot more off the videos than he does for recovery. He seems to be driving farther to more interesting recoveries.

Did you see Matt was charged with insurance fraud?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/downtime/utah-youtuber-charged-with-insurance-fraud/vi-AARj9kx
They left a good enough trail to bait some more trucks in.
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I think Matt makes a lot more off the videos than he does for recovery. He seems to be driving farther to more interesting recoveries.

Did you see Matt was charged with insurance fraud?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/downtime/utah-youtuber-charged-with-insurance-fraud/vi-AARj9kx

not sure what ever happened with that deal
Originally Posted by JeffA

this FR turns north off of Hwy 31 and go into the town of Clear Creek...then Scofield

Middle of July..great UTV/Jeep road......

December.....snow mobiles in groups please
Nice of y'all to fix Matt & crew lunch! smile
Hey, the kid bad 4WD and an invincible JEEP.

He had to see what it would do.

I like to watch them drive out into the still almost damp areas of 1x2 mile drying up old buffalo wallow and finally break through and sink until they have to crawl out the windows.
Originally Posted by rem141r
that had to cost him an arm and a leg or two

Straight up rape.
I need one of those Bombi snow cats. What a blast.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

this FR turns north off of Hwy 31 and go into the town of Clear Creek...then Scofield

Middle of July..great UTV/Jeep road......

December.....snow mobiles in groups please

I very well may have drove that last summer with the RV, I know after a few days of pounding through the forest service roads I probably shouldn't have had the RV on we popped out at Spanish Fork. Only other folks we saw were in Jeeps and sidexsides.

Round about here..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...4/re-kaibab-national-forest#Post16126574
Damn tourists…😜
Originally Posted by Springcove
Damn tourists…😜

Kid was from Price
When I managed a towing and recovery service back in the early 1990's there was a no man's land area of several hundred acres nearby that had been strip mined for phosphate fertilizer. The local 4X4 crowd loved to play there- - - -at least until they hit a soft spot and got mired up to the door jambs. Then we would get a "HELP" call. "Nope- - - -you dummies got yourselves in there- - - -it's up to you to get out!" I was not about to risk a $150K wrecker getting stuck or damaged trying to rescue somebody stupid enough to go play in mud several feet deep!
Turning the Jeep around was an interesting concept that I will admit we had never tried. Knocking about 20-22 psi out of the Jeeps tires would have been a game changer. Valve core removers are your friend and reside in every 4x4 we own.
Or you can just carry deflaters. I got them for my wife's truck, set for 12 psi. Put them on and walk away.
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I love their videos.

Best youtube channel, imho. Matt and his crew are a class act.
I like Matt's channel too his buddy Fab Rats is another one I watch
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Springcove
Damn tourists…😜

Kid was from Price

I know. I watched it. They do some amazing recoveries.
They seem like good people.
The towing business is crooked as hell. And that shades
the good ones. One thing people don't understand about getting
a tow and the price. I sure doesn't cost that much to come tow you.

But, if you want towed, you have to pay for the ability.
Not juyst the expertise, but the machine. It costs a hell of a lot
of money to have the man and machine to pull your ass. And the
only way it works is for each job to pay its share of overhead.

The company I worked for bought a new heavy rotator about 5 years ago.
$750,000.

For a machine that only leaves the garage for a few hours a month.
They have to charge an ungodly rate just to cover the payment.
I’ve watched the other show.

Diesel Dave or something ( not diesel bros ).

He does a lot of big equipment recovery.
Interesting video. Thanks for posting. I've had some experience with big snow cats but that was 42 years ago when I was a snow maker and groomer. Most of my snow cat hours were just going up & down hill pulling a compactor to pack it all down. They are pretty cool machines; neat to drive but ungodly expensive. I would have loved to try some of that recovery type stuff with one. They can pull some serious weight even going up hill. Still want to know what that must have cost that Jeep owner. Had to be a small fortune.
Jeep driver's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
What's 4WD do that 2WD won't?

Get you stuck further back in there...
Great videos!
That made for a good y tube episode, but a hand full of experienced jeepers could have got him out.
Those snow cats are pretty cool, but they have limits also, I once buried a Bombardier snow cat (that would make Matt's look like a toy) on top of a mountain in Montana, the hole I dug was big enough for several Jeeps to fit in. It was during a blizzard and we had to abandon it till the next day, took two snow cats to extricate it. I was grooming ski slopes at the time
Back in the late 90s I took the wife and kids to lake powel. Our group and several others drove onto a beach area near bullfrog. It was pretty hard packed. Then it dried out and the wind kicked up and everyone got stuck. The wrecker from bullfrog came and got stuck. The guys from hurricane came out and as soon as they showed I knew they had skills. Lots of cable and big steel plates. They backed in their wrecker on top of the plates and ran cable to each vehichle one at a time. They were laughing at the bullfrog tow guy. Cost me $300. Worth every penny as I had young kids and it was 105 and no shade. They must of pulled 10-15 rigs out that day and made bank.
Originally Posted by irfubar
That made for a good y tube episode, but a hand full of experienced jeepers could have got him out.
Those snow cats are pretty cool, but they have limits also, I once buried a Bombardier snow cat (that would make Matt's look like a toy) on top of a mountain in Montana, the hole I dug was big enough for several Jeeps to fit in. It was during a blizzard and we had to abandon it till the next day, took two snow cats to extricate it. I was grooming ski slopes at the time

I'd of drove it out of there.

Could've shoveled an area clear big enough to turn it around.
Pack a nice little ramp in to get back on top of the snow and haul azz early in the morning when the snow was most setup.

Pack a nice little ramp in to get back on top of the snow and haul azz early in the morning when the snow was most setup.

This beast was 10' wide , when you got off the packed and groomed track, instead of moving forward you went down..... the hole was epic..... oh and this was at 3am.... in a blizzard. I radioed another snow cat to get me , but they could not make it to me for 3hrs as there was a blizzard happening with zero visibility.... that is how I got in the predicament in the first place
Kinda reminds me of a couple of towing outfits in Wendover, NV. The go go speed racer city savages think they’re some kind of Bonneville Salt Flats driver and start to head out across them off of I-80. Pretty soon they discover that salt layer is only a thin crust except in August and sink to their axles & frames. The towing service charges by the foot to get em back on the asphalt and they had lots and lots of chain/cable.

There was a jeep that got waaaay the hell out there one time. Maybe a couple of miles. The thing was almost new and the idiot driver buried the thing. It was too far out to get back and sat there. Each time I would drive by it would be a little lower on the horizon as the salt slowly ate the thing away. After about three or four years you couldn’t see it anymore. That one mist have hurt as insurance doesn’t cover that kind of stupidity.

This beast was 10' wide , when you got off the packed and groomed track, instead of moving forward you went down..... the hole was epic..... oh and this was at 3am.... in a blizzard. I radioed another snow cat to get me , but they could not make it to me for 3hrs as there was a blizzard happening with zero visibility.... that is how I got in the predicament in the first place

I was speaking of the Jeep in the video, lol...
That video was 7 minutes of fluff before they even started towing.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
That video was 7 minutes of fluff before they even started towing.

You're not familiar with youtube channels, are you?
I can't help but think the super wide tires that jeep had was the problem when trying to drive in deep snow. Wide tires don't dig through the snow tending to float on top because of the low pounds per square inch on the contact patch. Those super wide tires look "bad" and IMO only work well in sand after deflating them. If the owner had chains that might have helped too.
Actually when the snow is semi-packed and real deep, the wide low aired tires are the best because you're trying to stay on top and avoid breaking through and getting high centered.
I'd have dumped a lot more air myself.
Someone needs to explain to the bimbo that 28* is colder than 31*.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Some of us enjoy a good bimbo from time to time 😁
Originally Posted by high_country_

I'd have used a shovel and got the hell out of there before the extra foot of snow showed up. What a dumb ass going in there alone without enough gear to get out.

Jerry

I was speaking of the Jeep in the video, lol...

Ooops.... I agree Jeff, I would have driven the Jeep out also.

Originally Posted by Azshooter
I can't help but think the super wide tires that jeep had was the problem when trying to drive in deep snow. Wide tires don't dig through the snow tending to float on top because of the low pounds per square inch on the contact patch. Those super wide tires look "bad" and IMO only work well in sand after deflating them. If the owner had chains that might have helped too.

As for skinny tires out performing wide tires in the snow , that is an old misconception, skinny tires do good on packed snow, but deep snow they will dig down and you will be buried. The secret to deep snow is very large and soft tires with less than 10 psi pressure, you want to climb on top and use just enough throttle to keep moving forward without spinning and digging in. It takes some skill, as soon as you feel the tires spinning you have to let off the throttle , back up and finesse your way on top. Skinny tires are worthless in deep snow.
Originally Posted by mirage243

laugh
New venture possibility for our very own N.Dave?
Originally Posted by Jerryv

I'd have used a shovel and got the hell out of there before the extra foot of snow showed up. What a dumb ass going in there alone without enough gear to get out.

Jerry

......... Long as you have a road beneath you a shovel is a great thing to have in a spot like that. I once buried a 2 wheel drive F-150 in the middle of the road after not seeing the 5 foot drift in front of me, at the time all I could see was white. I was still on the road so I just did a lot of shoveling and some occasional driving in reverse. Over 25 yards later I got out enough to do a 3 point turn and go back home.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Jerry

......... Long as you have a road beneath you a shovel is a great thing to have in a spot like that. I once buried a 2 wheel drive F-150 in the middle of the road after not seeing the 5 foot drift in front of me, at the time all I could see was white. I was still on the road so I just did a lot of shoveling and some occasional driving in reverse. Over 25 yards later I got out enough to do a 3 point turn and go back home.

25 yards....

Pfffft

A couple winters ago, the Curmans (Ben, Nash and Dad) shoveled something like 14 miles just to get to town! lol
Originally Posted by Azshooter
He likely wouldn't have got that far with chains as they'd have dug down and he'd have been high centered before he got there.
irfubar;
Good morning my southern friend, I hope the weekend was a good one for you folks and you're all warm, well, dry and dug out from the last snowfall.

The whole skinny tires vs. fat tires with low air pressure is something I just learned this past fall actually.

There's a young fellow who lives across the gully from us that I'm getting to know a wee bit as he's interested in learning to hunt and has come along with me a couple times.

His current off road rig is a heavily modified Toyota pickup from the '90's, complete with different gears, front and back lockers and 36" or maybe 38" rubber?

The places they go with their rigs is crazy actually. Crazy enough that the snowmobilers don't like it as it chews up their trails!

Here's a video of a group about an hour up the valley.

It's wild where they go and get out of too. Places I shall not be taking the '03 Dodge diesel anyways fubar!!

All the best to you all.

Dwayne
The video definitely shows the tracks having the advantage. At the same time, I've seen Cat's high centered and very stuck in snow. When that happens, you're screwed.
Originally Posted by mirage243
[quote=Oldman03]Someone needs to explain to the bimbo that 28* is colder than 31*.

laugh

i think you are making reference to lizzie, barrel racer, team roper, and works on the recovery team.
probably capable of settin most of youse people in youfr place.
I stand corrected. I did well in 2-2 1/2 ft snow on jeep trail to retrieve elk that no one had driven in a while. Suburban runs 235/80-16s with street tread. Locker in back open axle in front. It would just go right through that snow with no issues. Sounds like deeper snow it would still have the traction except for getting high centered. Never thought of floating over soft snow the way they do it with sand. Still learning.
© 24hourcampfire