Home
Posted By: Huntz James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/15/22
Who would yay?Arness was an inch taller at 6'7" .Some pretty good Bar scenes of Arness back handing bad guys and they would fly across the room.
Posted By: 21 Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/15/22
I wouldn't be ruling out Walker against anyone. Dude was a tough SOB in real life, took a ski pole to the chest and was pronounced dead, but saved by some good doctors. I think Arness was at Anzio, biggest guy on the landing craft they put him out first to see how deep the water was.
Posted By: hanco Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/15/22
Didn’t know the Marshall was that tall.
Originally Posted by hanco

Yeah, he was huge. That's why they cast him as The Thing. His size made the monster terrifying.

[Linked Image from midnitereviews.com]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yeah, he was huge. That's why they cast him as The Thing. His size made the monster terrifying.

Never knew that either. I would have thought Clint Walker was the taller of the two.
Posted By: hanco Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/15/22

[Linked Image from midnitereviews.com]

Damn
Arness was an inch taller but Walker was nearly 20 lb heavier. Walker did some amateur body building but I don't think he ever competed in it.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Arness was an inch taller but Walker was nearly 20 lb heavier. Walker did some amateur body building but I don't think he ever competed in it.

Yeah, he kept up his physique for the roles he tended to play.
Posted By: rte Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/15/22
Clint Walker was never an amateur bodybuilder.He did pump iron all of his life and was a bouncer at one time.

He was doorman at a Las Vegas hotel when he was discovered.

He was close to 91 when he died.

PS: James Arness had a bum leg from a previous accident.
He was an amateur body builder and he studied the Charles Atlas course. He just never did it in competition.
Wiki says Clint Walker joined the merchant marine in the last months of the war at 17yo.
Can’t hold that against him. They were both good. I enjoyed both their shows. Arness was a big guy and had a great career.
Originally Posted by rte
Clint Walker was never an amateur bodybuilder.He did pump iron all of his life and was a bouncer at one time.

Lean Wolf can tell the story from knowing him, but Arness was in full time pain the last couple of years of Gunsmoke. It was from a war injury. During the battle of Anzio, Arness' right leg was peppered with machine gun bullets, and when the bones were set they didn't mend properly, leaving him with a slight but permanent limp. The trauma of the experience mellowed into aimlessness after the war.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by rte

Lean Wolf can tell the story from knowing him, but Arness was in full time pain the last couple of years of Gunsmoke. It was from a war injury. During the battle of Anzio, Arness' right leg was peppered with machine gun bullets, and when the bones were set they didn't mend properly, leaving him with a slight but permanent limp. The trauma of the experience mellowed into aimlessness after the war.

I knew Jim, and did one movie with him. His wounds were severe and troubling him greatly. He wore compression undergarments under his pants to help keep the dropsy in both legs under control long enough to shoot a scene. The wounds are what contributed to him getting dropsy.

It wasn't a pretty sight. I saw it and the pain it caused him with my own eyes. He was a friend.
Why compare, they were both good.
Neither were great but Arness was probably a better actor.
Huntz: I have never seen Mr. James Arness in person but had occasion to meet and talk with Mr. Clint Walker at the Portland, Oregon gunshow some years ago.
He dwarfed me - not just in height (I am 6' 3" tall) but his chest was at least 5" wider than mine and it was at least 5" deeper than mine!
The giant and gentle man was indeed huge - and he seemed to be enjoying himself at that gunshow.
I am certain neither gentleman would be interested in or stoop to the level of engaging each other in a fist fight if that was what you are alluding to.
I admired them both for their acting skills and gentlemanly conduct while in the public eye, most all their lives.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Huntz Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Huntz: I have never seen Mr. James Arness in person but had occasion to meet and talk with Mr. Clint Walker at the Portland, Oregon gunshow some years ago.
He dwarfed me - not just in height (I am 6' 3" tall) but his chest was at least 5" wider than mine and it was at least 5" deeper than mine!
The giant and gentle man was indeed huge - and he seemed to be enjoying himself at that gunshow.
I am certain neither gentleman would be interested in or stoop to the level of engaging each other in a fist fight if that was what you are alluding to.
I admired them both for their acting skills and gentlemanly conduct while in the public eye, most all their lives.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Nope,in a movie fight.I would not want to fight either one.I am a little guy 6'2" 250 pounds.Of course if I was to pick a winner it would be Arness in his prime.He was a tall lanky guy.Guys with beefed up muscle punch then selves out pretty fast.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Why compare, they were both good.

Yup!
Huntz: You may be correct?
I just looked up James Arness on wikipedia and found his short bio there EXTREMELY interesting!
I have enclosed a link. I am glad he had a long and full life passing away at age 88.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James Arness

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Huntz: Clint Walkers wikipedia bio.
If you want to assess the massiveness of Mr. Clint Walkers upper body pay attention to the picture of Mr. Walker holding the normal size human being (Ms. Lucille Ball) in the enclosed wikipedia bio!

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Walker

He is massive!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I am now giving the "edge" in a "Hollywood" scuffle between Mr. Arness and Mr. Walker to Mr. Walker.
Posted By: paint Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/16/22
I wouldn’t want to have had either of them pissed at me. Both good actors, and I’ve always admired James Arness.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/16/22
Don't mess with Yellowstone Kelly..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The real Kelly was also a bad ass
2 of my all-time favorite TV stars. Both were quality men! Both served their country! And both were very good to fans. I still watch their reruns. It’s a draw between them.
When Hoss met his match.
Posted By: keith Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/16/22
James Arness was wounded in Italy during WWII, he never got over the wounds...that is where his limp came from.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by rte

I knew Jim, and did one movie with him. His wounds were severe and troubling him greatly. He wore compression undergarments under his pants to help keep the dropsy in both legs under control long enough to shoot a scene. The wounds are what contributed to him getting dropsy.

It wasn't a pretty sight. I saw it and the pain it caused him with my own eyes. He was a friend.

Jim Arness was badly wounded at Anzio, WW II, as mentioned above. Flesh and bones don't do too well when they encounter 8MM bullets from a German machine gun. The last several years of Gunsmoke, Jim could not ride a horse other than to mount, start to ride away, and the camera would do a cutaway and Jim's stunt double did the rest of the riding. He was a very nice man who survived and prospered in a pool of sharks: Hollywood.

FWIW.

L.W.
James Arness is easy one of my favorite all time actors. His service to our country just makes him all that more iconic. They don’t make them like him anymore.
Throw in Leo Gordon. ......one of the few who looked real when in a fight scene with Walker. Leo was a true Bad Ass at one time. Great person later on.
Posted By: MOGC Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Throw in Leo Gordon. ......one of the few who looked real when in a fight scene with Walker. Leo was a true Bad Ass at one time. Great person later on.

Shot by a cop while he was attempting an armed robbery. Went to prison and was a convicted felon. Bad azz... or dumb azz? Now this actor was a real deal bad azz...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_J._Ortiz
I saw Clint Walker when I was about 12 or 13 years old at a place near Denver called Magic Mountain. He did a scene from Cheyenne with another guy. They had a shoot out. He was a big guy to a little kid but signed autographs and smiled after the skit was over.
Originally Posted by Morewood
When Hoss met his match.

They should've had Mr. Spock neck-pinch him.
Posted By: Osky Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/17/22
Both seem like good guys, isn’t Walker still alive?
As far as actors I thought Arness was better more natural to his parts… until late in life. Seems to me those gunsmoke movies he did late in life were not his best and his acting seemed “forced” for lack of a better word. Trying too hard maybe?

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky
Both seem like good guys, isn’t Walker still alive?
As far as actors I thought Arness was better more natural to his parts… until late in life. Seems to me those gunsmoke movies he did late in life were not his best and his acting seemed “forced” for lack of a better word. Trying too hard maybe?

Osky

Clint died in like 2018 or so.

Jim did film work later in life, but was in a lot of pain to do so. It shows. It wasn't his acting that was the problem, it was the old war wounds weighing on him.
Posted By: ledvm Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 01/17/22
I like both. Arness gets the edge.

..... James Arness was Huge........ that is why they cast him in the "Thing".

I know that statement was not meant to take my mind where it did but I spewed coffee laughing..
When Hoss met his match.

I liked gals like that.

about the 3:23 mark she looked like she was gettin wet under all them petticoats and bloomers.
When Hoss met his match.
Their dubbed in fight sounds are out of sync. The biff sounds are coming before the fists.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
When Hoss met his match.

I liked gals like that.

about the 3:23 mark she looked like she was gettin wet under all them petticoats and bloomers.

Of course she got wet.

She started that fight. She was enjoying the resulting chaos.

Redhead too... True to form. laugh
Props, and sound effects. laugh
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

They should've had Mr. Spock neck-pinch him.

Haha! Good eye.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Shot by a cop while he was attempting an armed robbery. Went to prison and was a convicted felon. Bad azz... or dumb azz? Now this actor was a real deal bad azz...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_J._Ortiz

Dumb azzz......lol
But later in life a fine person.
Leo Gordon didn’t play many good guys but in the movie the Tall Stranger with Joel McCray he did play a good guy. He was one of many good supporting actors of that era.
I think Arness would out draw him but I think Walker would whip him in a fight.
When Hoss met his match.

I liked gals like that.

Okay you made me look. Pretty funny when you review it. . Wonder how a director coaches something like that gentle stroking of the hitch and gleam in the eye. I am betting she wanted that part. I mean REALLY wanted that part.
I respect the heck out of both men but my money is on James Arness!
Clint was bigger than “Big Bad John”…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by rte
... PS: James Arness had a bum leg from a previous accident.

Slight correction. Jim Arness received his "bum leg" [and hip], from being shot by a German machine gun during the invasion of Anzio, WW II.

Speaking of Jim's role in The Thing, a humorous anecdote about that. Years ago, CBS was filming one of my Gunsmoke scripts in which I'd written a scene I was curious to see how the director and stage manager set it up. Gunsmoke was filmed at CBS Studio City. I called John Mantley, Exec. Producer and told him I'd like to see them film that scene. Mantley said, "Sure, I'll let you know when we're going to shoot it and I'll leave you a pass at the gate."

So on the day they were shooting it, I was on the Gunsmoke sound stage set. During a break when the lighting crew was setting up lights for the scene, I was over to the side, talking with Arness. During our conversation I mentioned to him that when I was a kid, he'd scared the living bejesus out of me. He said, "Really? How's that?"

I said, "Well, in the tiny Arkansas town in which I grew up there was one streetlight between the theater and my home. That day and night it had snowed and there were several inches of snow on the ground. I watched The Thing that night by myself. Walking home, plodding through the snow, I was scared you were going to jump out from behind a tree and eat me."

Jim laughed and then said, "That was my favorite role."I said, "You're kidding."

He said, "No. it was my favorite role because I did not have to learn any lines."

I got a laugh from that.

Anyway, long ago and far away.

L.W.
Leanwolf,

Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy “old tv”.

Maybe the simplicity of it.

Recently saw a FB post of how several shows used the same locations.

Was it Andy Griffith and Hogans Heroes?

You never notice a German guard tower behind Gomers garage unless you looked for it….
I have watched these two my whole life, still do every day, the twenty years of Gunsmoke and I think I remember six years of Cheyenne, James throwing punches was with speed, power and intent, Clint always throws haymaker punches, always pulled his head back like afraid of being hit, not a killer like James. I always admired their acting, but the real stud was actor which was 6’6” also, was Chuck Connors, he could do anything James and Clint did, and was a pro baseball and basketball player, Chuck was a better actor to boot.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by rte
... PS: James Arness had a bum leg from a previous accident.

Slight correction. Jim Arness received his "bum leg" [and hip], from being shot by a German machine gun during the invasion of Anzio, WW II.

Speaking of Jim's role in The Thing, a humorous anecdote about that. Years ago, CBS was filming one of my Gunsmoke scripts in which I'd written a scene I was curious to see how the director and stage manager set it up. Gunsmoke was filmed at CBS Studio City. I called John Mantley, Exec. Producer and told him I'd like to see them film that scene. Mantley said, "Sure, I'll let you know when we're going to shoot it and I'll leave you a pass at the gate."

So on the day they were shooting it, I was on the Gunsmoke sound stage set. During a break when the lighting crew was setting up lights for the scene, I was over to the side, talking with Arness. During our conversation I mentioned to him that when I was a kid, he'd scared the living bejesus out of me. He said, "Really? How's that?"

I said, "Well, in the tiny Arkansas town in which I grew up there was one streetlight between the theater and my home. That day and night it had snowed and there were several inches of snow on the ground. I watched The Thing that night by myself. Walking home, plodding through the snow, I was scared you were going to jump out from behind a tree and eat me."

Jim laughed and then said, "That was my favorite role."I said, "You're kidding."

He said, "No. it was my favorite role because I did not have to learn any lines."

I got a laugh from that.

Anyway, long ago and far away.

L.W.
Cool story.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Leanwolf,

Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy “old tv”.

Maybe the simplicity of it.

Recently saw a FB post of how several shows used the same locations.

Was it Andy Griffith and Hogans Heroes?

You never notice a German guard tower behind Gomers garage unless you looked for it….
The fake town of Mayberry (a movie making construction) was used in a couple of Star Trek episodes. You can even see Floyd's Barber Shop, sign and all, in one of them.

[Linked Image from metvcdn.metv.com]

The above was from the episode titled The City on the Edge of Forever. The other episode where Mayberry was used was Miri.
[quote]
" ... The fake town of Mayberry (a movie making construction) was used in a couple of Star Trek episodes. ..."

Star Trek, Andy Griffith's show, Hogan's Heroes, Mission Impossible (the original series) were all filmed at Desilu Studio, as were others. Desilu Studio was the old Republic Studio. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez bought Republic Studio for six or seven million $$$$. I was on that lot many times. Used to see the various actors in those shows walking on the lot quite often.

About 25/26 years ago, Paramount Pictures, which is directly next to Desilu Studio, bought Desilu for major $$$$$.

FWIW.

L.W.
Originally Posted by rte

i think it was a wound from WW-2
I liked both of them. Clint was a bruiser of a fellow but gentle and kind. To get an idea of James Arness' size catch a scene where he's riding bareback and look at the length of his legs. They almost drag the ground. Sometimes it's hard to get an idea of just how big a person is on camera unless you can compare him to something that you know the size of. Actually love all those actors. It was a great time in filmography. Thanks for all the great posts especially the guys that knew them.
James Arness was shot by a sniper at Anzio, the sniper shot several members of his platoon and hit him in the left foot. He lost the front half of his left foot due to the wound. If you watch Gunsmoke episodes close you see his limp and difficulty he had mounting a horse at times. Buck, his buckskin, was the only horse he wanted to use in films and he hated to ride horses because of his foot. The idiot producer had him walk up hill to boot hill in the opening of the original episodes.
Arness would’ve mopped tha floor with Clint
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Arness would’ve mopped tha floor with Clint
I don't know. Leo Gordon was no match for him.

But then Chuck Connors wasn't man enough to defeat James Arness.

Hawkeye, that was great, James had him by 25#, but about same size, never saw that one I guess, a lot of strong men in the war era.
Leo Gordon usually played the huge tough guy roles, but was dwarfed by Clint Walker.
Posted By: rte Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 02/17/24
Someone must be bored to dredge up a two year old thread.
Just for fun, old T800 Model terminator vs factory new T800 Model terminator. grin

Clint would have smashed Arness
Originally Posted by rte
Someone must be bored to dredge up a two year old thread.

Any thread that gets Leanwolf to share is a goodone.

Clint would have smashed James.😁
Arness did some B movies too, I liked the movie "Them" about huge mutant ants. Arness played an FBI agent in that movie.
Arness, was in a couple movies with the Duke, they were supposed to be good friends, Wayne got James in Gunsmoke .
His brother Peter Graves, Arness was a good actor as well.
Good comparison next to an average sized guy

Big Country just coming on TCM, Conners best acting, one of best movies ever.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Arness did some B movies too, I liked the movie "Them" about huge mutant ants. Arness played an FBI agent in that movie.
That movie was a favorite of mine as a kid. I believe that was Natalie Wood's first movie role. Or was it Miracle on 34th Street?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
His brother Peter Graves, Arness was a good actor as well.
Mission Impossible.
Clint played Samson Posey in the Dirty Dozen
Originally Posted by Tansun
Clint played Samson Posey in the Dirty Dozen
Yep. Just watched it the other day. Free on either Prime or YouTube. Can't remember which.
They don’t make em like that anymore. Night of the grizzly is a movie I’ve probably watched 30 times.

Ron
Named my oldest son after Clint Walker.
I liked both men. Clint came to the Snake River Stampede when I was a kid.
Posted By: gunzo Re: James Arness Vs Clint Walker - 02/18/24
When Hoss met his match.

I liked gals like that.

Well, I guess I'm not the only one here that noticed her "moment".

You old prevert you, fist bump.
© 24hourcampfire