Home
Posted By: high_country_ Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
I just made 75# or 10 gallons of jerky. I would like to store some of it in mason jars long term. Has anyone done this?

My thoughts were to add the finished jerky to hot quart jars and set the lids while hot.

Any success or failures with this or similar would be appreciated.
Posted By: Bclark Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
I have always froze mine. Never trusted dry canning meats. Depends on how it was cured I guess?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
Do you have one of the jar vacuum adapters for your foodsaver?
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by high_country_
I just made 75# or 10 gallons of jerky. I would like to store some of it in mason jars long term. Has anyone done this?

My thoughts were to add the finished jerky to hot quart jars and set the lids while hot.

Failure recipe: Everybodys jerky preferences are different, mine is basically cool dried spiced meat. Some people dry their jerky at over 130 deg which to me ruins the flavor, tastes like leftovers. So anyway, I wanted to try a couple quart jars, I guess there was too much moisture in the meat when I jarred it, and when it was done it tasted like leftovers, had that cooked flavor. Since then, I have just vacuum sealed it...doesn't last long around here anyway, grandsons have noses to put a bloodhound to shame.
Posted By: sackett Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
I'd trust using a vacuum sealed bags before trying the mason jar.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by high_country_

That doesnt sound right.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do you have one of the jar vacuum adapters for your foodsaver?

Negative.

I made a few batches, classic salt and sugar recipes. I'm using a LEM commercial dehydrator that pumps out 10# every 4-5 hours. Moisture content is bang on.

I don't like the potential freezer flavor and we had a pretty banner year on elk so freezer would be hard pressed to store a hot dog right now. It's in the 20's so storage in the shop is fine for now....but, I've heard of dry canning this stuff with success, but never done it. I have 10 quarts of dry morels from over a year ago that have kept perfectly.....but they are not moist meat.
It looks like I could buy the jar attachments and use my vacuum pump to seal the jars. Do you typically inert with nitrogen, toss in oxy absorbers or both? Neither?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
In the dairy world, for mold prevention you flush the oxygen out with CO2 or N2. CO2 absorbs into product (I don’t know how it reacts with meat) and after a day the product is vacuum packed with no vacuum ever being applied. If you don’t want it to vacuum, you add some N2 to the mix. The N2 isn’t absorbed, leaving a pillow pack. C02 is cheaper than N2 so it’s what is tried to be used the most if.
Posted By: jimone Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
Stargon mig gas mix?
I've got stargon, argon and nitrogen.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by jimone
Stargon mig gas mix?

Might be more than a home user needs….

I just put a nitrogen system in, $70k for redundant air compressors and close to $100k for the nitrogen generator which is just a big sieve that filters the nitrogen out of the compressed air plus some various storage tanks and other hardware.

CO2 I just bought a used tank, I think it was a 25 ton unit, and installed for $90k with the refrigeration and vaporization units. CO2 comes in by the semi load.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/23/22
package in 1lb stacks in paper lunch bags and then put those in gallon freezer bags. 75 lbs of jerky is a schit ton
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/23/22
With 5 kids, it'll last a week.

Looks like it'll be about 10 gallon ziploc bags packed tight....still have a couple loads to go.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/23/22
i put in paper bags to keep it from getting slimy
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/27/22
Well I jarred up 36 quarts with oxygen absorbers and 27" of vac on them. I have them stored in the frozen shop and one without the oxy absorber on the window in the kitchen to observe.
Posted By: acy Re: Dry canning jerky? - 01/27/22
I've never tried storing jerky in jars. I always vacuum seal and freeze. After opening, I store in paper lunch bags in the refrigerator.
© 24hourcampfire