Home
What sorts of small town scams have you seen and or had tried on you?

Why do the poor ass con artists get all huffy when you catch them at it or dont fall for it?

Not your average small town price gougeing, but actual attempts to short you, steal or oter illegal acts...
Speed traps.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Speed traps.

Most east coast beach towns don't have limited acess highways into
them, so it's little roads, thru little towns.

You can be sure if they have police, they are targeting tourists.

Pissed off their community isn't getting any money?
Pissed off at having the traffic, while not getting any money?
Simply opportunistic?
All three?

A friend was getting passed by two North Carolina cars when she saw the cop. Somehow😉, he only got her speeding! (Must be the Florida plate)

Couple days later she got the fine in the mail.
Along with several lawyers offering to show up in court, plea her case, and
pay the fine. (In person was mandated!)

They got it down pat.
Fine money, enhanced court money, lawyers paid too!
And who is going to drive 450 miles each way to spend a couple hours in
court on a case that's pre determined? And I'd bet that you have to register if
YOU appear. And, the individuals appearing will be seen last.

It was around $100 for the lawyer.
He had her pre pay him $200, with the understanding
that if he could plead it down, the balance would be refunded😂😂😂😂😂!
Surprisingly 😉 it took exactly...$200.
Oh!

Motel taxes.

Ever see an advertised price for accomadations?
That increase 30% plus with taxes and fees?
Is it a scam, if it's become the norm?
I got nailed in a South Dakota small town speed trap. Very early on Sunday morning, I was the only car on the road for miles. Clocked me 27 mph in a 20 mph zone.
I used to stay in that town, buy motel, meals and gas there. Now I stop for a bathroom break and don’t spend a dime.
Originally Posted by dale06
I got nailed in a South Dakota small town speed trap. Very early on Sunday morning, I was the only car on the road for miles. Clocked me 27 mph in a 20 mph zone.
I used to stay in that town, buy motel, meals and gas there. Now I stop for a bathroom break and don’t spend a dime.

About 20 years ago I got caught in a speed trap in a small town that I have to go through on my way to work. Prior to that I'd often stop to eat, get gas, or at least grab some snacks from one of the local quick stops. I still have to drive through that town but since I got scammed in that speed trap I have not stopped or spent one nickel in that town. I might not be able to do anything about their speed trap, but I don't have to give my business to a town that allows their cops to shake down outsiders passing through.
Vrbo/ vacation rental fees. They add up to a third or more of the total cost most times.
Time share meeting,trying to sell us a vacation rental for a free meal and $20.00 voucher.
Dude was pizzed when I told him"I'm not buying into this cheat,give me my freebies"
Threw it on the desk and said "hope you enjoy it" lol
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Vrbo/ vacation rental fees. They add up to a third or more of the total cost most times.

Your final bill for housing in a typical resort town can be a little shocking once everything is added in if you're not accustomed to it.

Key West has a 12.5% resort or room tax.

During tourist season all the expenses go up for these small communities, they have to have more cops, more garbage pick up more beach clean up, etc.
The residents don't want to carry the extra load so they vote in a tax to cover the added expenses.

The hotels try to complete by having the lowest price so add ons like $20 a day for parking, additional fees for wifi and such can keep their advertised room price looking better.

It's just the way they roll.

I've found the cops in most true resort towns that are tourist dependent to be rather lenient.
They don't want to entice you to show up to party and have a good time then arrest you for doing just that.

US highway 64 passes through several small towns east of Memphis. Most of them have oddball speed limits that change at random, but Somerville is a real speed trap, with no convenient way to bypass the town. After getting tagged once, I was always very cautious whenever I had to drive through there on the way to Memphis. One day I was creeping through about 5 MPH below the 30 MPH limit when the blue lights came on. "Oh great- - - -Barney Fife is going to hassle me again!"

As usual, I presented my driver's license and carry permit, which changed the conversation somewhat. Once Deputy Dawg knows he's not the only one packing, his attitude usually changes. Some are paranoid and terrified, while others get friendly.

"Where ya headed?"

"Memphis"

"Are ya packin'?:

"Yep"

"Whatcha packin'?"

"A 1911- - - -I said I'm headed for Memphis!"

"Yep- - -I agree- - - -get that burned out brake light fixed before ya head home!- - - -Have nice day!"
Nissan pickup with freezer in the bed

Dude looks like Shamwow Guy
Nothing can hold a candle to Crazy Horse
One of those "beef" sales guys with the pickup and the freezer stopped by our place a few years ago. I guess he was too blind to see the 20 cows and calves grazing in the pasture. Back then, it cost me around a C-note to get a calf processed, usually around 400 lbs. of meat from an 800 lb. yearling. That calf only cost me a few bales of hay, some grass, and its mama's milk. We butchered one calf a year and sold the rest. For you folks who attended public school in the past 20 years and can't do simple math, I was eating steaks, roasts, and hamburger for a quarter a pound! When I offered to buy his whole truck load for the same price my beef was costing me, he got his lacy manties in a bunch!

Not a "small town" nor small establishment by any means - Sheraton Hotel in St. Louis, MO. Took family - wife and 3 kids - there on a 3 day mini vacation once. Made room reservations and paid well in advance. Asked if I wanted the "Deluxe Suite" I replied "okay" figuring I might as well shoot the works, pay the extra $ and treat the family since we didn't travel too often. Last day there - almost check out time - found out there was no such thing as a "Deluxe Suite" - all the rooms like ours were the same - no difference whatsoever. When questioned the desk clerk didn't know what to say. I insisted on speaking with the day manager. He tried to B.S. me. Finally had to cause a scene and embarrass them in front of other customers for them to give me a full refund for the difference charged for their nonexistent, "Deluxe Suite".
1988,i worked for Mar-Tec,in Lafayatte ,LA. I had to drive the flatbed loaded with a rack of O2 bottles and a decompression chamber,to go Off shore.
I was told to drive through the town of, GRETNA ,at no more than 5 MPH
Or get just HAMMERED with tickets.,or probably jailed once they saw my N.Y. drivers lic.If i remember,Orange, TX. Was another bad town for tickets.
[/b][b]
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
US highway 64 passes through several small towns east of Memphis. Most of them have oddball speed limits that change at random, but Somerville is a real speed trap, with no convenient way to bypass the town. After getting tagged once, I was always very cautious whenever I had to drive through there on the way to Memphis. One day I was creeping through about 5 MPH below the 30 MPH limit when the blue lights came on. "Oh great- - - -Barney Fife is going to hassle me again!"

As usual, I presented my driver's license and carry permit, which changed the conversation somewhat. Once Deputy Dawg knows he's not the only one packing, his attitude usually changes. Some are paranoid and terrified, while others get friendly.

"Where ya headed?"

"Memphis"

"Are ya packin'?:

"Yep"

"Whatcha packin'?"

"Yep- - -I agree- - - -get that burned out brake light fixed before ya head home!- - - -Have nice day!"

Actually deputy dawg assumes everyone is packing and is kind of relieved when he sees a permitted carry. They do not get "terrified" when they discover that someone is legally carrying.
The experienced old hands don't get antsy- - - - -the rookies appear to be about to chit their drawers at the idea they can't be as intimidating as they would like to be.
I had a Montana state trooper pull me over once, I was doing 87 in a 65 mph zone.

He took my license and registration, went back to his car and ran those, then came back to the truck.

We were driving back from one of the "icebreaker" shoots in Glasgow and we had a pile of cased rifles on the back seat so he asked us about those and seemed interested in the shoot. And then he said "I like your hat so I'm gonna let you off with a warning." It was a Noveske hat.
In the UP of Michigan there are a lot of straight roads with very little traffic. I decided to see how fast my company car, a 1972 350cc V8 Chevy, could go. I had it up to 105 mph when the cop stopped me. The speed limit was either 55 or 60. He asked what I did for a living. I told him I was a salesman. "Oh, he said, "salesmen are good drivers but watch it a little," and let me go with no fine.
350 CC is about 17 cubic inches- - - - - -I had a Honda motorcycle with a 350 engine once. How did you get a 72 Chevy with an engine that size going that fast- - - - -drive if off a cliff?
Seen the "cover charge ta get *out*" deal in ol Mex.
Ocracoke Island North Carolina used to be a good place. But over the past few decades it's been taken over by Yankee Communists and every one of them thinks they're an artist.

They take old pieces of driftwood, glue seashells on it, paint the whole mess homo rainbow, and sell it to tourists so they can take a "piece of the island" home.

I call the place "Ocrawoke".

I'm never going back.
Hot Rod Lincoln

Are you sure it wasn't one of those two "towns" just west of Spmerville.

They are WELL KNOWN for their policing procedures.

Seems like there was a story in the papers about one of the towns up on the plateau fleecing tourists out of all of the cash they had on them.
Originally Posted by LouisB
Are you sure it wasn't one of those two "towns" just west of Spmerville..

Well, I paid the speeding fine at the Somerville city hall. Deputy Dawg was so fat that the patrol car probably needed overload springs on the driver's side!
whats the statue of limitations on traffic tickets? lets put it this way, i drive slowly and carefully through virginia and try to avoid it if i can. fuggen va beach is one solid trap.
Horseshoe Bend, Idaho, about 18 miles north of Boise, is a super duper speed trap. Going north, you come down a long, long hill at 65 MPH and at the bottom of the hill you immediately hit a 15 MPH speed limit through Horseshoe Bend. The town's cop is waiting for you. He/she will ticket you every time for going a few miles per hour over the 15 limit. Not to worry, however, as they have a small traffic court right in the middle of town so you can conveniently pay your speeding ticket before going on your way. smile

L.W.
Leanwolf, I agree about horseshoe Bend. No need to ask me how I know.
Bar Harbor Maine Gift and Souvenir shops
Genuine Acadia National Park Sand Dollars for 5.99 each.
That was back in 2001.

They spell it "Arcadia" on the little price tag so they dont get hemmed up by The NPS as possibly being from the park tidal zones.

People buy em......
got pulled over in Oregon for doing 32 in a 30, going down a steep hill
Blue line hwy pirates are everywhere not just tourists towns.
Let's not forget Pedro's South of the Border at the NC, SC line on I 95 ,all thr fireworks and junk souvenirs your little heart desires.
Insurance scams.
You name it, home, auto, medical, business
Jake from State Farm's nightmare.
Between Twin Falls, ID and Jackpot, NV, a classic small town sheriff's speed trap. Got me doing 90 and I admitted what I had done. He gave me a ticket for 5 miles over (I think the speed limit was 70) and a friendly lecture about how little time I save by speeding.

About an hour later, in Nevada, I hit 145 mph....

"Where ya headed?"

"Memphis"

"Are ya packin'?:

"Yep"

"Whatcha packin'?"

Yep, Oakland just west of Somerville is even worse. Goes from 60 MPH to 35 MPH in less than a mile. They just cruise back and forth on 64 picking off the guppies
Michigan upper peninsula: The Mystery Spot.

The very definition of a tourist trap.
Double theft scam. People who streal stuff from non locals and ten sell the stuff back to the victom.... An oftrn used vsriation is to upgrade your stuff thru theft and sell the victim your old stuff or pass it around town in tge barter economy.... Or gey the victim to claim the loss on insurance...
Originally Posted by renegade50
Bar Harbor Maine Gift and Souvenir shops
Genuine Acadia National Park Sand Dollars for 5.99 each.
That was back in 2001.

They spell it "Arcadia" on the little price tag so they dont get hemmed up by The NPS as possibly being from the park tidal zones.

People buy em......

Probably made in China too, like in the Smokey Mountains - every "souvenir" has a made in China sticker...
Got stopped in a little town in OR. while one vacation, he said I was doing 32 in a 30 while I was going down a hill! He is standing there holding my drivers license and ask, "So where are you folks from"! I said, well it is right there on my license.
He let me go with a warning....
Dubois WY, west side of town heading west out of town before the Dunoir. Speed trap, cops love giving petty tickets to tourists leaving town.
I got a ticket in the middle of nowhere literally going 77 in a 70.....the humanity!

I still whine about it to this day....oh wait....lol no I don't.

Guess I've been lucky, never been taken advantage of while traveling (or maybe I'm not a sucker...or a boomer). I have been surprised by rolling into a "town" that doesn't have a gas station.
Anybody in south Louisiana knows about Golden Meadow on the way to Grand Isle on Hwy. 1

25-30 years ago, it was a little 2 lane highway along the bayou. Went from 55-35 with a flashing sign. It was easy to come around that bend and bammo, you were pulled over. Now it's a 4 lane highway that doesn't run right along the bayou, so you have time to get to the correct speed limit. Still 35 mph though.

Clyde
Stopped recently for 67 in a 45 (passing an old lady going 30 when I hit the radar.) Young kid deputy looked over my docs, told me “We have a policy to always write a ticket for 15 or more above, but my personal policy is to not ticket anyone with a dob before 1955. Have a good day sir, and watch your speed.”
How can you have a thread like this without mentioning Myrtle Beach?
The whole town is a scam!
Not a small town but definitely a tourist trap. Took the wife to Chip and Joanna Gaines place in Waco when it first opened up. Prices were so high she even refused to buy their crap, think we left with an overpriced bag of popcorn. I couldn’t even afford a camp ball cap with there Magnolia Farm logo on it.
In 1966 I was driving home from college passing thru Willow Creek Ca and stopped for gas at the Chevron station in town. A mile or so later as I was pulling the grade east of town the car started starving for fuel and finally stopped along the side of the road. I checked the sediment bowl and it was full of bars leak. I had to empty it a couple of times before I got that crap out of the fuel system. I never stopped for fuel in the town after that little incident.
Around 1982 I was driving thru Montana in a rental car and stopped for gas in Roundup at another Chevron station and continued on my way to Glasgow. The car was no running right so when I stopped for the night at a motel in Glasgow I popped the hood and found a piece of cardboard placed in the air cleaner in such a manner as to restrict the air flow enough to be noticeable.
Branson...

That is all.
Wall Drug. It's cheesy, hokey, and built for tourists. At least they're upfront about it. We stop anyway...

Darwin Minnesota. Home of the Largest Ball of Twine in Minnesota. On a road trip to Duluth with the church youth group and a Weird Al fan had it on his bucket list. A little bit of a route change and we all saw it in person. Just because we could.
I live at the base of the world's largest FIB magnet - Door County. BEAUTIFUL place but watch your speed. WI plates helps but not much.
Here's a true story, involved a warrant for my arrest and a sheriff who told me he'd better not catch me in his county again but it was 35 years ago so I can tell it.

We rented a beach cottage on St. George Island, Apalachicola County FL. My wife was 8 months pregnant at the time and having trouble sleeping so she called up the rental agent and asked some questions about the accommodations, told the agent she was having trouble sleeping and asked about the beds and what condition they were in. The agent said the cottage had just been remodeled and everything including the beds was brand new.

Well, that was BS, the place was OK but not remodeled, everything was old and the beds were some of the worst I've ever seen in a rental property, old, lumpy, springs sticking up, etc.

Well, the more we thought about it, the more pissed we were because the rental agent flat out lied to us. It was a local mom & pop operation and it was the owner my wife had talked to. We had paid for the place with a check, so when we got home we stopped payment on it. We wrote the rental broker a long letter, told them we were stopping payment and explained why. We included another check for $100 less, so we basically short-paid them $100, just on principle.

A couple months later I get a call from a local detective in my home state telling me he has a warrant for my arrest for passing bad checks in Florida. I told him what happened and he said it sounded like a civil matter, not a criminal case and he gave me the number of the DA in Tallahassee and suggested I call him. So I did, and he returned the call within five minutes. I started to explain but he cut me off. Said he was familiar with the warrant because he'd denied it when it first came up but then the locals came back when he was on vacation and got it approved. To say he was pissed is an understatement. He said he'd read our letter, our position was entirely reasonable, and then he told me they'd had similar problems with this particular rental agency. He gave me the number of the county sherriff and told me I should call him, tell him I spoke to the DA, the warrant was cancelled, and I wasn't going to pay another penny.

So I called the sheriff and played dumb. Asked him what I needed to do to make it right. He thought he had me over a barrel, and that's how the conversation went. Told me I needed to send another check for the original amount (which would have doubled the rental fee), and also pay the rental broker for his time and trouble. I asked him how much that would be and I sh*t you not, he said "hold on I'll ask him," they were eating lunch together. So then I spilled, told him I'd talked to the DA in Tallahassee, the warrant was toast, and I wasn't gonna pay another red cent. He went all Buford Pusser on me, started sputtering, and told me he'd better not catch me in his county again.

I told him that wouldn't be a problem and hung up on his sorry ass.
I can think of 2 immediately - Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island.
Ketchikan Alaska. Had a taxi driver try to scam me thinking I was a cruise ship customer. He got lit up pretty good. Probably made good money from the scam.
What about rental car fees, the "Airport tax" in vegas is %30.

Try and rent a car in town. not open Sat or Sun or holidays like the day after thanksgiving and close at 2pm friday
Along those lines...

[Linked Image]

If you haven't seen it - a very fun, family friendly, lively movie with George C Scott and a very pretty Sue Lyon.

A LOT of character actors you know from the 60's.
Something very endearing about this flick.
Just put 2,200+ miles on a rental Toyota in FL. Came to realize pretty quick their speed limits are more like suggestions.
Talking about speeding tickets, likely 30 years ago me and the family were driving through the Badlands inSouth Dakota. We were not to far into the badlands from the west entrance, fairly early in the morning. Was going on a long flat straight stretch and could see down the road for maybe three miles or so. Speed limit was 45 MPH and I was maybe going about 60. There were no other vehicles on this stretch except for a oncoming vehicle way off. When we met, it was a small pickup type with a rangers logo on the door. As soon as we passed, he dove off the shoulder and did a abrupt u turn even raising a good cloud of dust. Yep, he turned on his lights and pulled me over. He just asked for my drivers license (from Wi.) went back to his vehicle and took forever to come back to my car (which I think was deliberate)as were sitting in about 90 degree sunlight. He handed back my license with a speeding ticket, and sarcastically said here is a little souvenir from the Park. He was lucky my wife and daughter were in the car. He was definitely pissed about something, and took it out on me.
One of those "beef" sales guys with the pickup and the freezer stopped by our place a few years ago. I guess he was too blind to see the 20 cows and calves grazing in the pasture. Back then, it cost me around a C-note to get a calf processed, usually around 400 lbs. of meat from an 800 lb. yearling. That calf only cost me a few bales of hay, some grass, and its mama's milk. We butchered one calf a year and sold the rest. For you folks who attended public school in the past 20 years and can't do simple math, I was eating steaks, roasts, and hamburger for a quarter a pound! When I offered to buy his whole truck load for the same price my beef was costing me, he got his lacy manties in a bunch!

Good deal.
The noted speed trap in Wisconsin is a little town of Rosendale. It is basically a town on a intersection of two major highways, population of maybe 300. The north highway speed drops from 65 to 35 with out much warning distance. The local cops (two) will not give 1 MPH forgiveness. This speed trap has been there for over 30 years. It is so well known, that there are Tee shirts for sale that say. "I have been stopped by the Rosendale Police".
Originally Posted by oldhunter49
The noted speed trap in Wisconsin is a little town of Rosendale. It is basically a town on a intersection of two major highways, population of maybe 300. The north highway speed drops from 65 to 35 with out much warning distance. The local cops (two) will not give 1 MPH forgiveness. This speed trap has been there for over 30 years. It is so well known, that there are Tee shirts for sale that say. "I have been stopped by the Rosendale Police".

Been through many times.

Been fortunate many times lol.

I h was raised in farm country, and have seen plenty of 800 pound cows, but never a 800 pound yearly calf.
There's a long time speed trap east of here
on one of the state highways. You top a fairly
good sized hill and there's the small town right
there. No telling at the money they've made
from the highway speed limit drop down to
45. A couple of years ago I saw where some
agency had put up a " REDUCED SPEED AHEAD "
sign about 3/4 mile back. Probably got sued
or more likely a bigwig got stopped and cited.
There's still many a truck with a utility trailer
gets pulled over.
Alma, Colorado. Coming over Hoosier Pass on Hwy. 9 from Breckinridge and Blue River heading south towards Fairplay you’ll run into Alma coming downhill from the pass. The speed limit suddenly drops from highway speeds to 30 mph, and there’s the local cop sitting right there on the roadside on the north end of Alma. By the time you see the 30 mph speed limit sign, he’s already nailed you with his radar going well above the 30 mph speed limit. It’s a definite scam and speed trap. Alma’s got less than 300 people and it’s at 10,600 feet elevation.
Originally Posted by oldhunter49

Rosendale. Yeah. Them coppers are pretty busy after a Packer game. Been a trap for a lot more than 30 yrs. I knew about 'em in the '70's. Still doing "business as usual".
Originally Posted by smokepole

So I called the sheriff and played dumb. Asked him what I needed to do to make it right. He thought he had me over a barrel, and that's how the conversation went. Told me I needed to send another check for the original amount (which would have doubled the rental fee), and also pay the rental broker for his time and trouble. I asked him how much that would be and I sh*t you not, he said "hold on I'll ask him," they were eating lunch together. So then I spilled, told him I'd talked to the DA in Tallahassee, the warrant was toast, and I wasn't gonna pay another red cent. He went all Buford Pusser on me, started sputtering, and told me he'd better not catch me in his county again.

I told him that wouldn't be a problem and hung up on his sorry ass.

LoL!!! I would have started laffin' into the phone and dared him to "do something about it, boy!". Holee schitt, sometimes that badge does strange things to whoever's wearing it.
It was hard to not bust out laughing the whole time, knowing what I knew and him being such a turd. When he said "hold on I'll ask him" that was it, I couldn't take it any more. IIRC, his buddy wanted another $200 for his time and effort.
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Michigan upper peninsula: The Mystery Spot.

The very definition of a tourist trap.

Did you/have you stopped? LOL I've had the pleasure of driving downstate 3 times since last August and chuckle when I see that. What's kind of sad is the old run down motels on that side of the peninsula. Driving on I75 is hardly a speed trap though. A state police car will float by just to keep everyone honest. My last trip I got passed by state police probably pushing 85 or more. Not far behind were 3, maybe 4 other vehicles keeping their distance but keeping pace with the cop.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the number one, all time world champion tourist trap : Olongapo City. Back in the day, more ways to scam tourists (in white uniforms) than anyplace on earth.
Pinedale Wyoming, Non residents pay inflated prices at the stores, if you have a local phone number you get the cheaper price
© 24hourcampfire