There's a long time speed trap east of here
on one of the state highways. You top a fairly
good sized hill and there's the small town right
there. No telling at the money they've made
from the highway speed limit drop down to
45. A couple of years ago I saw where some
agency had put up a " REDUCED SPEED AHEAD "
sign about 3/4 mile back. Probably got sued
or more likely a bigwig got stopped and cited.
There's still many a truck with a utility trailer
gets pulled over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alma, Colorado. Coming over Hoosier Pass on Hwy. 9 from Breckinridge and Blue River heading south towards Fairplay you’ll run into Alma coming downhill from the pass. The speed limit suddenly drops from highway speeds to 30 mph, and there’s the local cop sitting right there on the roadside on the north end of Alma. By the time you see the 30 mph speed limit sign, he’s already nailed you with his radar going well above the 30 mph speed limit. It’s a definite scam and speed trap. Alma’s got less than 300 people and it’s at 10,600 feet elevation.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by oldhunter49
The noted speed trap in Wisconsin is a little town of Rosendale. It is basically a town on a intersection of two major highways, population of maybe 300. The north highway speed drops from 65 to 35 with out much warning distance. The local cops (two) will not give 1 MPH forgiveness. This speed trap has been there for over 30 years. It is so well known, that there are Tee shirts for sale that say. "I have been stopped by the Rosendale Police".

Rosendale. Yeah. Them coppers are pretty busy after a Packer game. Been a trap for a lot more than 30 yrs. I knew about 'em in the '70's. Still doing "business as usual".

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

So I called the sheriff and played dumb. Asked him what I needed to do to make it right. He thought he had me over a barrel, and that's how the conversation went. Told me I needed to send another check for the original amount (which would have doubled the rental fee), and also pay the rental broker for his time and trouble. I asked him how much that would be and I sh*t you not, he said "hold on I'll ask him," they were eating lunch together. So then I spilled, told him I'd talked to the DA in Tallahassee, the warrant was toast, and I wasn't gonna pay another red cent. He went all Buford Pusser on me, started sputtering, and told me he'd better not catch me in his county again.

I told him that wouldn't be a problem and hung up on his sorry ass.

LoL!!! I would have started laffin' into the phone and dared him to "do something about it, boy!". Holee schitt, sometimes that badge does strange things to whoever's wearing it.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It was hard to not bust out laughing the whole time, knowing what I knew and him being such a turd. When he said "hold on I'll ask him" that was it, I couldn't take it any more. IIRC, his buddy wanted another $200 for his time and effort.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Michigan upper peninsula: The Mystery Spot.

The very definition of a tourist trap.

Did you/have you stopped? LOL I've had the pleasure of driving downstate 3 times since last August and chuckle when I see that. What's kind of sad is the old run down motels on that side of the peninsula. Driving on I75 is hardly a speed trap though. A state police car will float by just to keep everyone honest. My last trip I got passed by state police probably pushing 85 or more. Not far behind were 3, maybe 4 other vehicles keeping their distance but keeping pace with the cop.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the number one, all time world champion tourist trap : Olongapo City. Back in the day, more ways to scam tourists (in white uniforms) than anyplace on earth.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pinedale Wyoming, Non residents pay inflated prices at the stores, if you have a local phone number you get the cheaper price

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.