Home
The snow is coming down and my 2013 model 1526 tractor won't start.

I mean, it won't even turn over. It's like there's a safety switch that has failed. I've messed with the neutral switch and can hear what sounds like a contactor clicking when I play with the selector while holding the key to the starter position, leading me to think that the switch is working.

Operating the key to start as usual, I hear the clicking of the fuel pump, the glow plug light comes on and I get a single click that sounds like a contactor/solenoid, but no starter.

I pulled the starter so I could spin it just in case there was a bad spot on the armature, but after reinstalling it, nothing changed.

I'm a fairly handy guy and lifelong tradesman, but tractors aren't my specialty, especially when I have to work on it out in the snow, which is piling up and making me worry. I have to get this tractor running, so any tips or suggestions on commonly failing components would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Sometimes it could be simple like not having it in neutral, both sticks, or if needed the clutch engaged.

Kent
My dad has a 2015 Massey, the thing is junk. I don't use it much but the transmission pops out of gear whenever you're using it. I've got a long driveway and my dad borrowed it to me to back drag the driveway with a blade. When it starts, its tough to keep it in gear. How cold is it where you are? The one we have is a cold blooded bear. Might need to tent it and put a heater under it for a night. See if that will help.
You try jumping the battery?
My dad has a little NH that did the same thing a few years ago. We messed with it endlessly and never could figure it out. We ended up just putting a spade connector on the hot to the fuel solenoid and a jumper to the hot on the starter. Plug the fuel on and then touch the hot to the starter to turn it over. I’m sure it’s some safety dodad on his but we can’t figure it out.
air
fuel,
spark
and a kick over.
you have no kick.
you might try a direct heavy line to the starter post to see if it will turn.
after you try charging the battery and if it still doesnt turn..
a poor battery connection will prevent your kick though the solonoid will click.
Battery is fine. Solenoid seems built into the starter, so I can't jump it. It's got to be a bad safety switch or the solenoid/starter took a crap. I just ran it for an hour or two on Saturday. Went out yesterday to finish up and,...nothing.
Scott, look for proximity or limit switches for the accessories, ie. pto, neutral if it’s a manual trans or forward/reverse if it’s a hydrostatic, mid pto if yours has one, or your rear hydraulic lever. most of these will be under the operator station.
My New Holland has a pto lever that has a proximity switch that barely makes when in the off position due to it’s bracket being welded in the wrong spot.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Scott, look for proximity or limit switches for the accessories, ie. pto, neutral if it’s a manual trans or forward/reverse if it’s a hydrostatic, mid pto if yours has one, or your rear hydraulic lever. most of these will be under the operator station.
My New Holland has a pto lever that has a proximity switch that barely makes when in the off position due to it’s bracket being welded in the wrong spot.

I laid under that bitch in the snow yesterday, looking for and playing with safety switches. Only ones I can find are the neutral switch and the seat switch. Seat switch only kills the tractor when in gear and you get off the seat.

The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards the starter/solenoid (it's all 1 unit). There's only 3 wires going to it. 2 attach to the main positive lug, which is always hot, and another wire clips into the solenoid. I'm assuming that this is the solenoid trigger. If I test it and it's getting a signal when I turn the key, I think that'll answer my question. All grounding is apparently through the block.
If I recall, it's common to start those standing beside the tractor, make sure it's in park!
Sounds like the starter needs rebuilt/replaced. I’ve also had a bad battery terminal give similar symptoms.
Give that starter a sharp whack with a hammer and see if it helps.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Sounds like the starter needs rebuilt/replaced. I’ve also had a bad battery terminal give similar symptoms.

Took us forever to figure this out on my Kioti.
It simply needed new terminals, the wires were corroded back far enough under the insulator that it was UN-noticeable.
Replaced both +/- terminals and no problem since.
Muther f u ckers
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I laid under that bitch in the snow yesterday, looking for and playing with safety switches. Only ones I can find are the neutral switch and the seat switch. Seat switch only kills the tractor when in gear and you get off the seat.

The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards the starter/solenoid (it's all 1 unit). There's only 3 wires going to it. 2 attach to the main positive lug, which is always hot, and another wire clips into the solenoid. I'm assuming that this is the solenoid trigger. If I test it and it's getting a signal when I turn the key, I think that'll answer my question. All grounding is apparently through the block.

Jump the solenoid that should eliminate a lot of questions
Do you have a service manual? I couldn't find a electrical schematic for free online.
Originally Posted by fester

Jump the solenoid that should eliminate a lot of questions

^ this, screwdriver and a couple seconds is all it takes. I learned that trick after driving out to a field and forgetting the key ...
Solenoid

My experience with MF tractors was jumping the solenoid on the little 235 we used to rake hay from when I was about 11 to 18 or so when I went to college. As stated, make sure it’s in neutral and maybe put your foot on the step and one hand on the wheel so that you can pull yourself up and out of the way real quick if you were careless. Lol
Originally Posted by Raeford

Took us forever to figure this out on my Kioti.
It simply needed new terminals, the wires were corroded back far enough under the insulator that it was UN-noticeable.
Replaced both +/- terminals and no problem since.

I bought a starter and new battery before figuring it out.
It's a cheap and easy place to start.
Solenoid isn't visible. It's fully enclosed as part of the starter.
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Do you have a service manual? I couldn't find a electrical schematic for free online.

I do. I'll be digging into it this evening.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Solenoid

My experience with MF tractors was jumping the solenoid on the little 235 we used to rake hay from when I was about 11 to 18 or so when I went to college. As stated, make sure it’s in neutral and maybe put your foot on the step and one hand on the wheel so that you can pull yourself up and out of the way real quick if you were careless. Lol

Had a mahindra at deer camp like that.

Turn the key on. Short the starter out with a screwdriver.
Fire right up.
Jump across the two big bolts on the starter. If it turns over, it's in the elect. system. If it doesn't turn over, use battery cable from battery + to big bolt on starter (try each one separately. If it doesn't turn over, its the battery, the starter, or your not grounded. If it turns over, the big wire from the battery to the starter is bad.
I have an 1825 which is similar. Several safety switches, tranny neutral, parking brake/brake, and seat. Must be in neutral, or clutch depressed, sitting in seat with brake and PTO engaged or not (clutch depressed if engaged). Having said all that, it sounds like a starter/solenoid issue.

I do. I'll be digging into it this evening.

If you can scan or to a good picture of the starting circuit I'll take a look at it.

This is pretty common on the 5203 John Deere's. You unplug a sensor and it will start.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Jump across the two big bolts on the starter. If it turns over, it's in the elect. system. If it doesn't turn over, use battery cable from battery + to big bolt on starter (try each one separately. If it doesn't turn over, its the battery, the starter, or your not grounded. If it turns over, the big wire from the battery to the starter is bad.

There aren't the typical 2 bolts on the starter, just 1, which is the positive lug. No negative wires to the starter at all. As near as I can tell, the ground is through the block. The large positive wire runs to the lug on the solenoid part of the starter and is hot at all times. I believe that the smaller (12 gauge?) wire that clips to the solenoid is probably the trigger from the ignition. I'll be testing this after work this evening.
Originally Posted by TheKid
My dad has a little NH that did the same thing a few years ago. We messed with it endlessly and never could figure it out. We ended up just putting a spade connector on the hot to the fuel solenoid and a jumper to the hot on the starter. Plug the fuel on and then touch the hot to the starter to turn it over. I’m sure it’s some safety dodad on his but we can’t figure it out.

ton my NH here is a circuit board under the hood near the hood hinge and behind the dash.

i had to put a hot jumper on my fuel solenoid because the board got hot and cut out. it is cheap but hard to get to. i have ran on the hot wire for 2 years.
I'd put power to the smaller wire direct from battery just to see if that makes a difference.
Battery is fine. Solenoid seems built into the starter, so I can't jump it. It's got to be a bad safety switch or the solenoid/starter took a crap. I just ran it for an hour or two on Saturday. Went out yesterday to finish up and,...nothing.
Is this a gas tractor? IF so, and it has gears, can you get at it to have someone give you a pull to start it??

Do not whack a starter with a hammer. Unless you’re in a spot where you’re going to drive it to the shop to replace the starter.
Pretty much all starters have the field magnets glued to the inside of the housing. Hitting it with a hammer will most often knock them loose. You may be able to lightly tap one and get away with it, but why risk it?
Originally Posted by Redneck
Is this a gas tractor? IF so, and it has gears, can you get at it to have someone give you a pull to start it??

Nope, diesel and hydrostatic.

Do not whack a starter with a hammer. Unless you’re in a spot where you’re going to drive it to the shop to replace the starter.
Pretty much all starters have the field magnets glued to the inside of the housing. Hitting it with a hammer will most often knock them loose. You may be able to lightly tap one and get away with it, but why risk it?

Learned that lesson on a 4-wheeler I had. Sometimes a rap on the starter would get it going, but those raps got harder and more frequent, and magnet parts fell out when it was disassembled by the rebuilder.😳
Scott, your plan to check voltage at the solenoid wire will probably be your best next step. It will definitely tell you which direction to continue the troubleshooting.
Scott, your plan to check voltage at the solenoid wire will probably be your best next step. It will definitely tell you which direction to continue the troubleshooting.

I think so too. A good signal there should eliminate the possibility of it being a safety switch problem.
Just getting voltage to the trigger wire might not be enough to trigger the solenoid. Wire it to something like a sealed beam headlight bulb that will draw a few amps of current. Any one of the safety switches in the circuit with a set of dirty contacts can reduce the current flow enough to get a click instead of a good starter engagement.
My little Massey is older, an 82. But I fought the dreaded single click for years. If I charged the battery it seemed to work ok. I found an article regarding this issue and installed a relay that kept the voltage up where it should be. A drop in voltage caused the click. It has worked great since I installed that relay on the starter. YMMV. Sorry I don’t have more detail as I’m not at home right now.
My buddy has a NH 35 hp hydro. Every time I am up there, I forget a different safety interlock and have to get him to start the tractor for me.
Front PTO
Rear PTO
Range selector
Hydraulics

check scribd.com. they might have one but it also may be too new
Originally Posted by Redneck

Nope, diesel and hydrostatic.
Got it... Bummer.. Hope you get it fixed pronto..
Originally Posted by Oldman03

There aren't the typical 2 bolts on the starter, just 1, which is the positive lug. No negative wires to the starter at all. As near as I can tell, the ground is through the block. The large positive wire runs to the lug on the solenoid part of the starter and is hot at all times. I believe that the smaller (12 gauge?) wire that clips to the solenoid is probably the trigger from the ignition. I'll be testing this after work this evening.

Yeah, some are like that. In this case, there is a metal strap from the solenoid to the starter. Apply 12v to the solenoid at the little wire. If it turns over, the wiring to the solenoid is the problem. Might be safety switch, ignition switch, etc. If the solenoid clicks, but starter doesn't turn over, then it's either the solenoid (they can click, but not make internal contact) or the starter. To check starter, take battery cable and hook battery + to the metal strap that goes from the solenoid to the starter. If the starter is good, that will turn it over. Be careful because if you touch anything other than the metal strap, it will arc, big time. Might have to stick old screwdriver in battery cable to touch metal strap on solenoid.

Make sure the tractor is not in gear, because you will be bypassing all the safety switches by using the battery cable. If in gear, the tractor will most likely move when the starter turns over.
When my Mahindra did that, it was a safety switch under the seat.
© 24hourcampfire