Home
I bought a 3' landscape rake from a guy on CL today. New in box. For 1/2 of what they sell for in the big box stores. And as best I could tell there were more in the bed of his pickup still in original box. Got to thinking.... He probably could return them to place of purchase for more than what I paid him. Assuming they were purchased of course. Have no way of knowing for sure they were hot, but ya gotta wonder.

By the way, the post is still up on CL 3 hours after I bought it.
To answer the thread title.............. NO!

Karma is a bitch & even if I didn't steel it, if I buy something I suspect is hot I feel I'm inviting stealing. That might include, me, being the next victim.

In short, I hate a fuggin thief, & if I suspect them of it I ask that they GTF away from me.

But sometimes we don't know if the item is hot. But if it don't feel right ??????????
Don’t buy anything I suspect as being stolen. I hate a thief.
Uncle always told me if you knew someone was a thief ask them so they’d lie, So they’d go to hell twice as quick.
No, try to be very careful. If the price is too good, maybe stolen.
I have been offered the opportunity to buy things, mostly tools and construction equipment, that I strongly suspected were stolen. I always pass on anything suspicious, and have called the police a couple of times.
One thing I am a bit suspiscious of.

Guy had a used yamaha generator selling it for maybe $300 under what it was probably worth. I asked him why he was selling. How he used it etc. The usual to get a feel for whether he was telling the truth and if it was stolen.

I felt there was about a 30-40% chance it was stolen. He came across with his story fairly straightforward. My biggest red flag was the price but he was pinched for money, so I could reconcile that in my mind. I did buy it. I do occasionally wonder if it had been nicked though.
To my knowledge I have never brought anything that was stolen. If I suspect that it was I pass on it.
Nope. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Ron
See all kinds of never used power tools here on the sale sites. Buddy works at Home Depot and says pretty much all of it is stolen.
Something to consider, the guy could have got them at an auction. I went to a home center auction once with a buddy. After a really long day, the paint, all 300 gallons of it, came up on the block. My buddy said to me, “hey go in half with me on the paint, I think we’ll get it cheap”. I did, we got it all for $275 and sold enough for $5 a gallon, before we loaded up, to get our money back on it. We used some, sold some and did great overall.

My buddy goes to a lot of auctions and always does well. He researches everything, sets his top bids and sticks to them.

So, you never know for sure, it could have been an auction deal.
[Linked Image from tampabay.com]

TAMPA — Detectives have arrested 34 people in the sale of stolen power tools and other items from retailers including Home Depot through websites such as OfferUp, Letgo and Facebook Marketplace.

LINK TO FULL STORY

Home Depot Corp. reported power tool thefts of $2.4 million from those four stores during a recent 12-month period
Was offered a brand new, in the box, never registered, didn't need to
transfer, Ruger MKII Government at a gun show at a table run by
an unlicensed dealer. Good price.

Passed.

(The transfer was the real kicker. It's legally required here. Even folks that
don't know it, often want their name off the gun.)

I Don't steal, wont be involved in it.
Yes. I bought musical equipment for some really low prices as a HS kid, and figured it was hot.

Not really anything since then.
Originally Posted by xarcher
I bought a 3' landscape rake from a guy on CL today. New in box. For 1/2 of what they sell for in the big box stores. And as best I could tell there were more in the bed of his pickup still in original box. Got to thinking.... He probably could return them to place of purchase for more than what I paid him. Assuming they were purchased of course. Have no way of knowing for sure they were hot, but ya gotta wonder.

By the way, the post is still up on CL 3 hours after I bought it.

My guess is it might have been 90% off Clearance item... I have bought lots of stuff like that... then again maybe it was stolen.
Good way to get a good price lol. Ask not want not lol

Joke by the way. No I don’t buy hot [bleep]
I bought a set of Crager rims with tires on them from a guy living in a storage unit. Pretty young and naive at the time, but looking back...🤔
Several Years ago I had a guy ask me if I wanted to buy a rifle. He pulled out a leather fitted hard case. Opened it and it had a rifle that looked like a Weatherby Royal Deluxe. It was beautiful. Chambered in 300 Norma Magnum. Wanted 500 said it was a little warm. I really wanted it but passed. The case was lined with red velvet and had slots that had 40 rounds of ammo in it.
No telling what it was worth.
I've bought stuff out of pawn shops and gun shops who buy/trade used stuff cheap enough that it might've been stolen. Most recent was in mid-Jan this year, a very clean 4-16x42 A/O Weaver, Japan produced, w/ 1/8th MOA dot in a set of cheapo AL 22 dovetail rings for $63 including Tx.
If I suspect it's stolen I pass. I hate thieves.
I've stolen a kiss, or two, never bought, nor sold any.
Not a chance because it was stolen from someone that worked for it.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've stolen a kiss, or two, never bought, nor sold any.

Whoa doggie! The truth finally comes out. O’l Wabigoon was a carouser back in his day! Does misses Wabigoon know about your player days?
I've never purposely tried to buy stolen stuff. But back when I lived in the city, I cruised pawn shops pretty regular. Half the crap in my shop was probably hot at some point. Bought plenty off the classified sites, too. I'm a sucker for a too good to be true deal.

But the one that takes the cake was this:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo uploader for forums

The first 5 times I called, the phone was busy. Then a dude answered and said it was still available. I met him in a PetSmart parking lot. I had the cash in one pocket and my HK in the other, sure I was being set-up. The spotter and tripod were in a Manfrotto bag he pulled out of his beater Pathfinder. I don't think I even looked in the bag before I handed over the cash and jumped in my truck, watching my six the whole time.

Should I feel guilt every time I look through that HD glass? Probably, I practically stole it. grin
He'll no, I also hate a thief.
No
I don’t think so
I don’t think I have. You got anything?
No
Bought a Springfield xdm many years ago. Guy was weird, not dangerous, just off. He claimed it was his father's gun and he was gifted it and didn't want it anymore. I paid a fair price. Not sure about that one to this day.
Had a guy tell me that he was walking into a gun show several years ago and a guy walked up to him and wanted to sell him a very nice Ruger #1 for a very cheap price. He said the whole situation made him very uncomfortable and he told the guy he wasnt interested.
I bought a bunch of guns from a guy who was moving to a Caribbean country where he couldn't own them. He shipped them to my FFL, but a Ruger Blackhawk 44 Magnum didn't pass the check on my end- - - -turns out it was reported stolen- - - -from a police property room in Portland Oregon! The local cops took possession of it and I never even saw the thing! Knowing what I do now about the detective who picked it up, I have my doubts that it ever made it back to Oregon. About 10 other guns were delivered with no problems.
I've had schit stolen so I ain't in the stolen goods business.
Not knowingly. I’ve been on the other side of that too many times.
Xarcher: Nope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Having had a boat stolen while I was deployed to Afghanistan, I’m a firm believer the thief’s are in a he same class as murderers and rapists.

They should be strung up from the nearest light post or power pole.

Death without parole for thieves.
I bought a professional 1/4” 2-track Otari tape machine for my studio from a guy in Tennesee. It arrived with the serial number removed. He stopped answering his phone. I called the police in the city it was shipped from. They didn’t have any reports of a stolen tape machine. I never heard anything. 15 years later when I closed the studio, I sold it on eBay with FULL disclosure. At least the next buyer didn’t get a nasty surprise, and also got a significant discount.
Home Depot is working with DeWalt on a requirement that power tools be electronically registered, using Bluetooth technology, to enable the tool to work. If it’s stolen before it’s registered, it’ll never work. Home Depot will do the registration following the sale. I expect this to be the norm with all retailers in the near future. Until the thieves figure out a way around it….
No I have not knowingly bought something that I thought was stolen.
Originally Posted by pullit
No I have not knowingly bought something that I thought was stolen.

.....................Same here. Although about 40 years ago I purchased a complete bed assembly for a late model Ford F-150 from a guy I didn't know that well. It was mint and priced decent so I bought it. He told me it came from an insurance wreck where the front end of the truck was hit and the bed was undamaged. About a year or two later I began hearing stuff about him selling stuff for somebody else who was stripping stolen vehicles. I don't have solid proof but was hearing stuff here and there about it. Sometimes you never know.
Four years ago our shop got broken into…. We lost every chain saw, blower and small engine power tool we bought since we started the company in 08. We had all the purchase receipts with serial numbers, I checked with local pawn shops and adds on craigslist …not one ever turned up-kind of a sore spot with me so No never !!
If you are knowingly buying stolen goods, does that not make you a criminal was well?

I don't care what people say about me, I am too pretty to go to jail...
Not that I'm aware of but if you buy anything from a Pawn Shop, there is always that chance that it's hot.
Yes. I have bought stolen goods.. Almost anything you buy on Ebay is stolen....

I recently bought two boat props from a guy off Ebay for $40 each.... Everywhere you find these props.... they are $150 plus shipping, I.m sure they are hot.

Also Leupold binos.... range finders.... high end hunting boots... All off of Ebay. One way to find out is to look at what other stuff the seller has listed... it's a giveaway.

If it is on Ebay, it's gonna sell to somebody...
As a teenager I had a job that required sitting behind a cash register at times.

This guy comes in buying a bunch of stuff and pays cash. All the bills are old silver certificates.

I know the guy as a known thief and sure enough another customer comes in later and in conversation says his home was broken into and a bunch of collectible paper bills were taken. Told him I had some of them and where they came from, we called the deputies and they come get the bills along with a statement from me. All this happens in less than an hour!

The deputies found and locked him up for a bunch of BE in the area.

The victim got almost all his bill collection back.
I have my own tool and die shop here at home and I lost track of the guys that stopped here trying to sell tools, end mills, drill bits and such. Some of them I knew and most I figured had stolen the stuff. I told them the only way for me to buy anything from them was if they could produce a bill of sale showing they had bought it. The last one got pretty irate and that was a clear sign he was guilty! So no, I do not engage in this. As has been stated before, I hate a thief.
© 24hourcampfire