Michael Angelo Bateo
Zakk Wylde
Brian Carroll (Buckethead)
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Billy Gibbons
Eddie Vanhalen
and a lot more I probably can't think of right now.
Angus young

Buckethead is phenomenal tho
SRV.
Clapton
Keith Richards
Dickey Betts
Hendrix,
Clapton
Joe Bonamassa
Jeff Beck
Blues....SRV no contest
We all knew it was coming?

Think we've done this a time or three since 2022 started.
Hendrix or Knopfler.
I feel like these two deserve a mention. "Best" is subjective.
Derek Trucks
Warren Haynes
Clapton
Michael Schenker from UFO fame Just listened to their live album “Strangers in the Night” album. Might be the greatest live performance ever of any rock band.
Listen to “Lights Out” from UFO’s live album “Strangers in the Night”.
Stevie Ray Vaughn or Joe Bonamassa.
Originally Posted by Ky221
Derek Trucks
Warren Haynes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It won't be long and someone will trot out Joe Bonermassage!

Feel free to jump to 2:11....
Originally Posted by Higginez
We all knew it was coming?

Think we've done this a time or three since 2022 started.

I remember drummer and bassist but, not guitarist. If it's already been done, sorry.
Duane Allman.
Originally Posted by Ky221
Derek Trucks
Warren Haynes

Good call
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Michael Schenker from UFO fame Just listened to their live album “Strangers in the Night” album. Might be the greatest live performance ever of any rock band.

I forgot about Michael Schenker and his brother Rudolf.
Gary Moore hasn’t been mentioned yet
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Keith Richards

Keith Richard invented more iconic riffs while in a coma having his blood transfused than likely everyone else on that list combined. It shouldn't be just about musical masturbation. Somebody has to write the songs too. And he's been playing them for sixty years as well.
Malcolm Young was one of the best. A huge part of that classic groove and sound on all the old AC/DC albums was due to him.

Clapton on SRV

“The worst thing for me was that Stevie Ray had been sober for three years and was at his peak. When he played that night, he had all of us standing mere with our jaws dropped. I mean, Robert Cray and Jimmie Vaughan and Buddy Guy were just watching in awe. There was no one better than him on this planet. Really unbelievable,” Eric Clapton said.
It won't be long and someone will trot out Joe Bonermassage!

He's been mentioned twice already. He may be goofy but he's an excellent guitarist.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Clapton on SRV

“The worst thing for me was that Stevie Ray had been sober for three years and was at his peak. When he played that night, he had all of us standing mere with our jaws dropped. I mean, Robert Cray and Jimmie Vaughan and Buddy Guy were just watching in awe. There was no one better than him on this planet. Really unbelievable,” Eric Clapton said.

I agree that SRV was at the top of the list and it sucks that he finally cleaned up and we lost him to schitty fate. I imagine the great music we missed out on if he hadn't lived longer.
Carlos Santana
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Gary Moore hasn’t been mentioned yet

One of my favorites
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Hendrix or Knopfler.

These two and Duane Allman are hard to argue against
Lots of good ones. Real hard to argue with SRV.

Duane, Keith, Jimmy, Jimi ...

Videos required.
Originally Posted by roverboy
Ya'll knew this thread was coming.
I can't narrow it down to any one guitarist. Not in any order
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo Bateo
Zakk Wylde
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Billy Gibbons
Eddie Vanhalen

I’ll add Duane Allman to that list as a 5 star candidate and honorable mention to Alvin Lee.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Duane Allman.

Carlos Santana?

Clapton?

Hard to go far wrong when you pick Clapton.
Originally Posted by RickBin
Duane Allman.

THE best group, THE best 2 guitarists together, THE best dual drummers, THE best rock n roll/blues song ever performed. Amazing. Eat a peach.
Clapton was one of the best, but you have to see who he looked up to
Hell he quit cream to join The Band...
Robbie Robertson
Duane Allman
JJ cale.
Nobody beats David Gilmore for me, other than Duane
Johnny Winters.
Hubert Sumlin and Gatemouth Brown.

Playing a right handed guitar left handed and upside down. What kind of brain did that man have?
Jerry Garcia
Living would be Joe Bonamassa and Angus Young.
Dead would be SRV, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Vanhalen.
Mick Taylor, Jerry Garcia, Jimmy Page.
Carlos Santana and Jimi
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Zackly.
Originally Posted by shootem

Playing a right handed guitar left handed and upside down. What kind of brain did that man have?

"Lord knows, I'm a Voodoo Chile".

27 million views.

Had not seen it yet.

Impressions:

Jimmy was lucid/sober.

Drummer was spot on and pushing the lead.

Great set!
mark knopfler

A great one that never gets mentioned on lists like this is J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. I think he gets forgotten because they never had much commercial success, and his singing voice is so bad. But the guy is a monster on guitar.

Good luck beating this with all that drug infested bunch of losers.

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Keith Richards
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Duane Allman
Carlos Santana
Dickey Betts
Billy Gibbons
John Lennon
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo Bateo
Zakk Wylde
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Billy Gibbons
Eddie Vanhalen

Off the top.. These 2.

Next?

Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Keith Richard
Jimmy Page
Duane Allman

Contemporary?

Warren Haynes.

Forgot Eric Clapton. Big mistake on my part.
Terry Kath
Roy Buchanan, Jeff Beck,and Buck head jmho
Buddy Guy

Magic Sam
John Frusciante has the best tone in rock.

Tommy Tedesco

Dick Dale played the strings upside down.... Hendrix just the guitar body upside down and restrung.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

see the fat strings?

Now for the absolute best of a guitar that you can actually hear the melody of the tune along with the best guitar playing ever done.

roverboy;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend was a good one for you and all who matter in your life are well.

Best, as has been mentioned is for sure subjective and although I used to fool around some on the guitar, I am in no way qualified to judge.

If you've never heard these two together, I hope you think it's time well spent.

They're both gone now of course.

Edit to add;
Jeff on his own.

All the best and God bless.

Dwayne
I didn't see these listed.

Buck Dharma - Buck's Boogie
John Petrucci
Ry Cooder
Uli Jon Roth
Glad to see Jeff Healey get mentioned...especially "How Blue Can You Get"

how about:

Robert Cray..."Chicken In The Kitchen"

Otis Taylor..."Nasty Letter"

Robin Trower..."Whiskey Train"
Originally Posted by Morewood
Terry Kath

Yep, even Hendrix thought so.
Keith Richards

The Stones best guitar was done by Mick Taylor 69-74
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Dick Dale played the strings upside down.... Hendrix just the guitar body upside down and restrung.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

see the fat strings?

Yep. Took a second look at his guitars. Would have sworn his were reverse strung with the “fat strings” on bottom.
Originally Posted by DMc
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Keith Richards
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Duane Allman
Carlos Santana
Dickey Betts
Billy Gibbons
John Lennon

Neal Schon
Originally Posted by Morewood
Terry Kath

Certainly a qualifying performance that always comes to my mind. Plus he wrote a song about writing a song, pure genius!
Since the question was asked about Rock/Blues, Peter Green should be considered.
Peter Green
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Both, were extraordinary guitarists in their own right.
Dang! Duane Allman was only 24 when he died.
Greats in another genre also come to mind. Chet Atkins was incredible and made it look easy. And a really off the wall to some folks is Roy Clark (think Hee Haw). Roy could have gone in any direction he wanted with guitar. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Him and his Harley got in a fight with a peach truck. He lost. Thus the album Eat A Peach. Shameful waste.
SRV.
I can't narrow it down to one "best".
Too many amazing artists. So, I'll just name my favorite - Robbie Robertson.
If you know much about playing guitar, Danny Gatton.
SRV
Clapton
BB King
Slash
Joe Walsh
Peter Frampton

You could pick any of the names listed and you wouldn't be wrong.
The greatest LIVING guitarist (irrespective of genre) is probably John McLaughlin, followed by Jeff Beck and then maybe Steve Howe.

Hendrix was the best of the dead guys.

IMHO.
Got to throw in a vote for Glen Campbell and his work with the Wrecking Crew. Probably the most underrated guy on the list.

For Blues Kenny Wayne Shepperd is the best I have seen.
Eric Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Ted Nugent
Eddie Van Halen
Ronnie Earl ~
Rory Gallagher could play a fair sort of lick:

Steve Winwood's a fair hand on a guitar too:

Originally Posted by CCCC
If you know much about playing guitar, Danny Gatton.

If I'm not mistaken, the first Fender signature guitar was his. Vai has been quoted saying Gatton was the best ever.

Been listening to a lot of Ritchie Kotzen lately, joker is insane.
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

If that doesn’t put the hair up on the back of your neck….
Not sure how Prince doesn’t make the list, unless you consider his genre pop and not blues or rock.
Jimmy Paige got mentioned, once, I think….
Bob Dylan said once that “all my songs are his”, in reference to how he felt about Hendrix covering some of his songs.
The only guitarist I can think of who can truly honor Hendrix by covering HIS songs, is SRV.
It doesn’t get much better than this.

Exactly! He hadn’t really got started yet.
Hendrix was asked the question by Guitar Player magazine who was the best guitar player. He said Phil Keaggy.

Exactly! He hadn’t really got started yet.

I think of this^ often. He was extremely good @20, & just better right before he got killed. How much better would he have gotten.? He & Clapton about the same age & recorded Layla together, & look how Clopton rose afterwards. I'd say Duane could have followed every step, or led some of the time.

SRV the best at covering Hendrix? One of the few that could IMO. Most that played Hendrix couldn't come close, & it was known quickly that it wasn't Hendrix playing when the song was playing on the radio. I have to listen closely to try and decide, is it Jimmy or Stevie?
SRV sounds better to me, but thinking a lot of his advantage might have been more modern recording gear. ??
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Hendrix was asked the question by Guitar Player magazine who was the best guitar player. He said Phil Keaggy.

I believe ha also said the Billy Gibbons was his ‘favorite to listen to’, at some point.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

I believe ha also said the Billy Gibbons was his ‘favorite to listen to’, at some point.

Both were incredibly good at manipulating feedback. Gibbons prob even more effectively. Which might have been at the root of Hendrix’s appreciation of his playing.

Artfully & sonically ‘controlling’ feedback is like bull-riding.

Gibbons is/was so good at it, he can stay on one ‘note’ at hit like 4 different harmonics with it, in like a 10 second bull-ride. Crazy technique.
I never felt Hendrix was that good. Don't understand the folowing. Always seemed sloppy to me.
Good thing your didn’t include Folk/Country/Western or I would have dropped Roy Clark right at the top of list.
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
I never felt Hendrix was that good. Don't understand the folowing. Always seemed sloppy to me.

He was innovative. I never thought he was all that great a guitar player, but he definitely ushered in a whole new genre of music.

I understand that. And like someone mentioned earlier, it had a lot to do with the sound-tech at the time. What he was doing was ground-breaking. And if you start getting into Music Theory, it was pushing savant/genius for a mere “Rock N Roll electric guitar player”. I have some history as a concert cellist. That doesn’t make me an expert on music theory, nor my opinion more qualified than anyone else’s, or what pleases one’s ears. But Hendrix was doing things musically that were above and beyond, in his genre. Or anyone else’s for that matter. Incredibly gifted.
Either Clapton or Gibbons...

Please post up some incredible guitar playing from Phil Keagy.
When Hendrix was really pushing it and on his A-game, he’d be losing half the audience. You can see it in the crowd In the clip Bin posted - guy plugging his ears, folks sitting there with sour faces staring. Not uncommon. Some small margin of them were literally dumbstruck. But the larger amount didn’t like it. Then there were the few that just grooved like hell! Hahahaha. I love all that old footage. It’s amazing. Live at Monterey was a great one. You have his peers of the time in the audience doing the same thing - staring, jaws dropped. Sure, they were all kinds of fuggged up on drugs, but they were hearing a New Sound, to be sure. And we’re getting their little minds blown. Lol
Higginez-

Don't do all that internet posting stuff. Google Phil Keaggy. Should be lots out there. Most real players are very familiar with him from the late 70's and 80's. He went the Christian music route and and faded from the national spotlight. I saw him him concert once with just him and a acoustic and electric guitar in a small venue I believe in Siloam Springs, AR. He flat out blew me away. Interestingly, there were some real good local players from the Tulsa area, KC, etc. We were just mesmerized. As far as I know he's still alive and playing.

He supposedly said similar things about Terry Kath and Rory Gallagher.
Carl Perkins
Didn't read the whole thread, but if he is not mentioned yet Gary Moore was pretty awesome. To bad he died @58. Way too soon.

Sorry, but you're out of your mind.
Johnny Winter
Billy Gibbons
Jimmy Page
Marcus King
Originally Posted by wytex
Johnny Winter

I saw the Winters Brothers play together on stage in Germany at a concert with the Stones, Little Feat, George Benson, and a few others. The Winters were kind of frenetic on stage and a little crazy looking, but their guitar playing that day was equal to anyone . George Benson wasn't half bad on a guitar either...
Eric Johnson, Cliffs of Dover

Joe Satriani, Crush of Love
I have always liked Stevie Ray Vaughn's soundcheck recording. The guy was half asleep and just started playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmQwLSlDw
I have long been a Jerry Garcia fan. If you watch closely, he was not noodling but rather playing very complex stuff. Regardless of who you may think is the best, there are a few times when you may see someone play so well you realize you are in the presence of a channeling and that is pretty special. Did anyone mention John Mayer?

Originally Posted by bluefish
I have long been a Jerry Garcia fan.

Jerry could play all sorts of stuff, except speed metal His vibrato technique and sound is amazing.
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Peter Green

And his bandmate Danny Kirwan?

After listening to the “Street Survivors” album, it’s easy to see how talented Steve Gaines was.
No love yet for Mr Bolin?

I think much of the mystique about Hendricks is a direct result of his early death. Had he lived, it would be different.

I think much of the mystique about Hendricks is a direct result of his early death. Had he lived, it would be different.

(sarcasm font) He's pretty "sloppy" here. (sarcasm font off)

Originally Posted by Valsdad

LOL ..... I didn't say he wasn't good. He's very good, but his early passing didn't hurt his notoriety either. smile

LOL ..... I didn't say he wasn't good. He's very good, but his early passing didn't hurt his notoriety either. smile

Someone once said

"I wanna live fast, love hard, die young, and leave a beautiful memory"..

It wasn't Jimi, but it's kind of fitting.
Originally Posted by JHM
Good thing your didn’t include Folk/Country/Western or I would have dropped Roy Clark right at the top of list.

No joke !!!
Roy Buchanan, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana
Not sure, but I don't think I have seen Frank's name mentioned:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo Bateo
Zakk Wylde
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Billy Gibbons
Eddie Vanhalen

I’ll add Duane Allman to that list as a 5 star candidate and honorable mention to Alvin Lee.

You're right. I said I forgot some.
John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Billy Gibbons
Has anybody mentioned Allen Collins and Gary Rossington?
Not sure, but I don't think I have seen Frank's name mentioned:

til the 7th page, FFS!! Thanks

Of Those still alive:
1. Joe Bonamassa
2. Clapton
3. Kenny Wayne Shepherd
4. Billy Gibbons
5. Robert Cray
6.Angus Young
7. Eric Johnson
Honorable Mention: Jimmy Vaughan. As he taught SRV how to play.

Of those that are gone:

1.SRV. Hands down. He had no equal.
2. B.B. King
3. Duane Allmand
4. Toy Caldwell. Original lead guitarist for Marshall Tucker Band.
5. Jimi Hendrix
6. Tie between Albert Collins & Steve Gaines of Lynyrd Skynyrd fame.
7. Honorable Mention: Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, & Howling Wolf. They more or less invented the Blues.

Those of you that mentioned Kieth Richards have evidently never played a guitar. Biggest hack that ever lived. 😬
Among female guitarists Joanne Shaw Taylor is one to watch.

Males? SRV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93dvPh33EnE

Any list of top guitarists that includes the words Blues that does not include Derek Trucks is not a complete list.
He's been gone a while, but Terry Kath was pretty good, too. Way too many great/very good ones for me to even begin to rank them.
Clarence White. Session player and The Byrds. Killed in an accident. B-Bender inventor. Overlooked imo.
A lot of the old school guitarists mentioned- probably because the majority of us are a bunch of old guys... wink

Should we start a thread about some of the new talent coming up to look forward to? I would put John Mayer in that group.... a lot of these guys are only going to get better...
Joe Bonamassa
SRV
Buddy Guy
SRV
Clapton
Knopfler
Gilmour
I don't think I could put him in with the really big dogs, or maybe.

But not often mentioned in these conversations in Steve Lukather(Toto). Right there with Eddie VH on the Mike Jackson tracts but not getting the attention. Damn good. Longest running member with Ringo's Al Star Band.

George Harrison... I'm just a listener, not a player. So I don't know, even though I do hear miss licks & pregnant pauses from time to time. But some top player list have GH way up there. Not that he did anything all that fancy, but played perfectly whenever he played. Making him great? Or just playing it safe?
Originally Posted by RufusG
Keith Richards

Keith Richard invented more iconic riffs while in a coma having his blood transfused than likely everyone else on that list combined. It shouldn't be just about musical masturbation. Somebody has to write the songs too. And he's been playing them for sixty years as well.

And right alongside him Ronnie Wood is no slouch when compared to anybody you can name. Strictly as a player, may be better than Richards.

Originally Posted by brokenarra
Among female guitarists Joanne Shaw Taylor is one to watch.

I like watching and listening to Samantha Fish also.

Joe Walsh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O_OVTrHQqM

I don’t know enough about guitar to have much of an opinion on his level of guitar play but lyrically his songs were terrible IMO.
Samantha Fish?

WTF?

I get it that white guys like the Gucci blues (Joe Bonermassage) but Samantha Fish?

Hendrix was a genius ala John Coltrane.

SRV was a coked out Texan that took all the cool schidt Hendrix did and blended it with Albert King and threw in some of his own cool stuff and you can’t help but notice what an absolute terror he was on an old beat to schidt partscaster.

Samantha Fish?

Down boys.

This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire. Utter nonsense.
Ha!

Nope.
Originally Posted by strikeu
Eric Johnson, Cliffs of Dover

One of my favorites.

This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire. Utter nonsense.

No. He's on it. Hendrix was a pioneer and an experimenter, much like Coltrane. Go look at the interview I posted with Billy Cox a couple weeks ago.
It’s ok if CCCC doesn’t get it. Too many years in college trying to make music into a math equation when you play the Flugelhorn will do that to ya!

Hold into the treble clef!

Remember when you wrote, that you had stable of talented students pass through your gates, that were better guitar players, than Prince.

... and couldn't provide a single example.

laugh
^^^ lmfao^^^
Roy Clark

Elvin Bishop
Chuck Berry.
Originally Posted by add

Remember when you wrote, that you had stable of talented students pass through your gates, that were better guitar players, than Prince. .. and couldn't provide a single example.
D

You are full of it - making stuff up - and never asked for such an example - and they are rife. Prince was mediocre at best - relied on his appearance and gimmicks to carry his act - and demonstrated his lacking guitar technique and inventiveness every time he picked at it. Go back and look - I cited the video with Lenny Kravitz as in your face evidence of Price's dearth of chops.
It’s ok if CCCC doesn’t get it. Too many years in college trying to make music into a math equation when you play the Flugelhorn will do that to ya! Hold into the treble clef!

You can do the evasive "ha", nope" and "lmfao" all you wish (kinda like Kamala cackling), and like most who get caught without evidence, you resort to snide ad hominem attacks - but your hole gets deeper.

Why not provide us with some musical theory analytical evidence of the evolution of Coltrane's improvisational journey and growth - why not provide some of your analysis of his uses of germ motive and thematic invention over a given harmonic structure, or cite the practice materials he used to develop his fingering technique and articulation?

Then, do the same using your knowledge of Hendrix. Do you have such skill and knowledge - because folks who study such performers do.

My original comment on your post is based on such comparisons. What you posted above causes you to come across as a phony dilettante who has definite preferences and opinions (which is just fine) but no substance to support them. Does the above sound like a flugelhorn?
Roy Buchanan
Among my personal favorites, Joe Walsh rises toward the top of the list.

I also can’t believe Slash from Guns and Roses nor Ricky Medlocke from Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blackfoot has been mentioned.
Originally Posted by gunzo
I don't think I could put him in with the really big dogs, or maybe.

But not often mentioned in these conversations in Steve Lukather(Toto). Right there with Eddie VH on the Mike Jackson tracts but not getting the attention. Damn good. Longest running member with Ringo's Al Star Band.

George Harrison... I'm just a listener, not a player. So I don't know, even though I do hear miss licks & pregnant pauses from time to time. But some top player list have GH way up there. Not that he did anything all that fancy, but played perfectly whenever he played. Making him great? Or just playing it safe?

Eddie VanHalen once said he wished he could take lessons from Steve Lukather..
Lukather has played on over 1500 albums as a Studio guy.. Journeyman for sure.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

No. He's on it. Hendrix was a pioneer and an experimenter, much like Coltrane. Go look at the interview I posted with Billy Cox a couple weeks ago.

I would agree that Hendrix was a pioneer and experimenter - but not in the sense of melodic, rhythmic and harmonic invention that enables one to break new ground in a musical sense. His was primarily with electronic gimmicks that enabled him to produce "new and different' effects not used and combined as extensively by other guitar players - over driven amplifiers, wah-wah, feedback, fuzz distortion, univibe, etc.. Intellectual development in actual musical knowledge and proficiency is an entirely different realm - thus my OP.

I would not challenge others views of Hendrix as an experimenter and big figure in his type of rock. I do not put great stock in the analysis by Billy Cox - a reasonably successful bass player - in that he has traded on the name and reputation of Hendrix and ridden his insider "knowledge" for gain since the 1980s or before. Hendrix seems very important to him in that regard.
It’s ok if CCCC doesn’t get it. Too many years in college trying to make music into a math equation when you play the Flugelhorn will do that to ya! Hold into the treble clef!

You can do the evasive "ha", nope" and "lmfao" all you wish (kinda like Kamala cackling), and like most who get caught without evidence, you resort to snide ad hominem attacks - but your hole gets deeper.

Why not provide us with some musical theory analytical evidence of the evolution of Coltrane's improvisational journey and growth - why not provide some of your analysis of his uses of germ motive and thematic invention over a given harmonic structure, or cite the practice materials he used to develop his fingering technique and articulation?

Then, do the same using your knowledge of Hendrix. Do you have such skill and knowledge - because folks who study such performers do.

My original comment on your post is based on such comparisons. What you posted above causes you to come across as a phony dilettante who has definite preferences and opinions (which is just fine) but no substance to support them. Does the above sound like a flugelhorn?

The beauty of music is that you don't have to know anything about it to make it, which has a tendency to piss off a classically trained theory snob such as yourself.

My understanding of music theory has nothing to do with my statement and you know it, yet here you are using big university words and comparing me to Kamala Harris. WTF?
Hig & Kamala..... yeah I see the resemblance.... lol
Samantha Fish?

WTF?

I get it that white guys like the Gucci blues (Joe Bonermassage) but Samantha Fish?

SRV was a coked out Texan that took all the cool schidt Hendrix did and blended it with Albert King and threw in some of his own cool stuff and you can’t help but notice what an absolute terror he was on an old beat to schidt partscaster.

Samantha Fish?

Down boys.

She learned the Blues from the Mississippi hill country legends.

The blues came from two sources: Mississippi Delta and Mississippi Hill Country.

The beauty of music is that you don't have to know anything about it to make it, which has a tendency to piss off a classically trained theory snob such as yourself.

My understanding of music theory has nothing to do with my statement and you know it, yet here you are using big university words and comparing me to Kamala Harris. WTF?

Since when is creativity defined to bars on a sheet of paper? Is that like crayon books and paint by number?

Wonder how Leonardo, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Boticelli would ponder of that.

Since when is creativity defined to bars on a sheet of paper? Is that like crayon books and paint by number?
Wonder how Leonardo, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Boticelli would ponder of that.

Read it again - my post said nothing about a sheet of paper - musical creativity begins in the mind and is made manifest to others ears in performance and also in written form, for those who know how to read. The more highly developed the musical skills, knowledge and understanding, and refinement of one's ear, the more one is able to discern and discriminate among types of music artists.

You are correct - many others, including me, have been able to make music without knowing much of anything about it. But even with such naive enjoyment, some choose to study, and practice and dig deeper into the art. I know someone who got started as a stupid kid picking at a keyboard and pursued such development for more than 70 years. Your post seems to paint such striving and development as some sort of detriment.

You know absolutely nothing about my musical training, performance and preferences - which have extended to all forms of the art - but you are so ignorant and defensive as to call one a "classically trained theory snob " and pretend that I am pissed. Rarely if ever do I become pissed - but at times I am tempted to expose a defensive pretender..

You are compared with Kamala because your little snide reactions and inanities here smack of the same stuff as her ridiculous cackle when confronted with something beyond her ken. Do you still feel like pretending to understand something you do not?

If you have read my posts, you know full well that i do not believe that creativity is defined by the factors you list here. You don't get to pretend that a person said something and then try to build a case on a false premise. The acquisition of skills, knowledge and understanding does not bind a true learner - those things liberate one to better understand and appreciate even the most simple origins of creative endeavor.. Why not give it a try.
Mark Knofler

Read it again - my post said nothing about a sheet of paper - musical creativity begins in the mind and is made manifest to others ears in performance and also in written form, for those who know how to read. The more highly developed the musical skills, knowledge and understanding, and refinement of one's ear, the more one is able to discern and discriminate among types of music artists.

You are correct - many others, including me, have been able to make music without knowing much of anything about it. But even with such naive enjoyment, some choose to study, and practice and dig deeper into the art. I know someone who got started as a stupid kid picking at a keyboard and pursued such development for more than 70 years. Your post seems to paint such striving and development as some sort of detriment.

You know absolutely nothing about my musical training, performance and preferences - which have extended to all forms of the art - but you are so ignorant and defensive as to call one a "classically trained theory snob " and pretend that I am pissed. Rarely if ever do I become pissed - but at times I am tempted to expose a defensive pretender..

You are compared with Kamala because your little snide reactions and inanities here smack of the same stuff as her ridiculous cackle when confronted with something beyond her ken. Do you still feel like pretending to understand something you do not?

Didn't attack you, dude. But, since you decided to be a total ignorant dick..

You sure used a lot of words to prove your ignorant, pompous fugkery.
Prince could bend a string.

I didn't see Chuck Berry on the list .

Not a rock guitarist, but Brad Paisley could hold his own with any of them.

SRV without a doubt!
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Samantha Fish?

WTF?

Samantha Fish?

Down boys.

She learned the Blues from the Mississippi hill country legends.

The blues came from two sources: Mississippi Delta and Mississippi Hill Country.

So she wasn't at the crossroads? LOL

Didn't attack you, dude. But, since you decided to be a total ignorant dick.. You sure used a lot of words to prove your ignorant, pompous fugkery.
There you go again with the name-calling and ad hominem attacks - middle school stuff.. Some days I like to write a bunch - good exercise for the brain and vocabulary - stay active, you know?

Yngwie Malmsteen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5RjH686uU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJehCbzhBY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLFoJtOn2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4l1Jk3ZCb4

Didn't attack you, dude. But, since you decided to be a total ignorant dick.. You sure used a lot of words to prove your ignorant, pompous fugkery.
There you go again with the name-calling and ad hominem attacks - middle school stuff.. Some days I like to write a bunch - good exercise for the brain and vocabulary - stay active, you know?

Stop editing my posts, Richard.
...This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire...

Hyperbole?

What an incredibly high bar!

It's his calling card.

Not trying to jump on a scrum, pick a bone, or question your musical background/theory knowledge, nor your personal tastes - sincerely.

But, maybe you haven’t listened to much Hendrix, besides the obligatory stuff? Or maybe you have…

Hard for me see your take on this congruously.

But, that’s cool.

I’d also edit to ask - what was your primary instrument? Assuming you are or were a musician/performer, as well as a student of theory.

Not trying to jump on a scrum, pick a bone, or question your musical background/theory knowledge, nor your personal tastes - sincerely.
But, maybe you haven’t listened to much Hendrix, besides the obligatory stuff? Or maybe you have…
But, that’s cool.
I’d also edit to ask - what was your primary instrument? Assuming you are or were a musician/performer, as well as a student of theory.

No problems - and I do understand why it can be hard to "see my take" . But - it is informed and studied - and that post about Hendrix/Coltrane came across to me as I characterized it.

Having taught hundreds of HS and college kids in the 1960s and 1970s, Hendrix was constantly brought up to me and I honored the student interest and enthusiasm by listening to what they brought - hours of it - just about all of every album. I have said NOTHING negative about Hendrix music here. I did take the time to explain the main thrust of his innovation, aside from some unique renditions of some "songs", which was his ventures into use of electronic-aided gadgetry - guitar/amp/effects, etc..

Coltrane's artistry was deep with melodic/harmonic/rhythmic improvisation and innovation based on extensive musical technique and development - and involved with other GREAT musicians. Thus - my statement about the poster's comparison - not at all about Hendrix playing.

To answer your question, in short, I have studied and played the following - bass, piano/keyboards/synthesizer, all reed woodwinds and flute - and have been a student and teacher of music theory, composer/arranger for all sorts of music, and conductor/performer - in normal symphonic and small orchestral and band formats, jazz groups small and large, pop and rock in my younger years, and what has become my favorite - worship music. It is a bunch - I am old. Such lengthy and deep endeavors tend to bring discernment.
Originally Posted by add

It's his calling card.

Try this - you know nothing.
Originally Posted by add

It's his calling card.

Try this - you know nothing.

You come on a friendly thread and totally fugk it up and then can't STFU. Why do you continue to insist on pissing all over yourself?
Of those still living, Bonamassa hands down! SRV for those dearly departed.
Any love for Eddie Shaver? Another one gone too soon
Rhythm, Malcom Young. For lead (& rhythm), John Frusciante.

Given “best” could be many things, there are many “great” guitarists, but these two for their shear volume of work, both over decades, both listenable and interesting and of course, successful.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Rhythm, Malcom Young. For lead (& rhythm).

Yep. Ole Malcom was a hell of a great rythm guitar player!
Definitely one of the greats in a hard rock band !

Too bad that he finally succumbed to the years of booze a hard living.
You come on a friendly thread and totally fugk it up and then can't STFU. Why do you continue to insist on pissing all over yourself?
What a poor sensitive soul you must be - you discount a guy's other posts on the theme of guitar players, but simply can't stand it - ruins your thread - when he disagrees with a useless comparison and gives rationale. Dear, dear fragile soul - please don't be ruined. Do you have pablum for breakfast?

Oh yeah. I forgot about Yngwie. Awesome.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Rhythm, Malcom Young. For lead (& rhythm).

Yep. Ole Malcom was a hell of a great rythm guitar player!
Definitely one of the greats in a hard rock band !

Too bad that he finally succumbed to the years of booze a hard living.

One of the sad things is he had quit drinking but, the booze had done it's bad work already.
Jimmy Page just hanging out with his guitar

What a poor sensitive soul you must be - you discount a guy's other posts on the theme of guitar players, but simply can't stand it - ruins your thread - when he disagrees with a useless comparison and gives rationale. Dear, dear fragile soul - please don't be ruined. Do you have pablum for breakfast?

It's not my thread, you ignorant old fugk. Do the world a solid. Go crawl in a ditch and shoot yourself in the head.
NOT saying he's in the stratosphere of the all time best, but check out Lukas Nelson. He's Willie's son. He is a rare talent for his age group on the guitar.

BB King plays Yngwie Malmsteen (Black Star):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmN14-qnuk

Yngwie Malmsteen (Black Star):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFzT_BtVLk

Jimmy Page - perfected Rock
So if Hendrix was white would he still be #1?

But, that’s cool.

Hendrix's Blues album is one of the greatest blues album ever. Most folks havent heard it.

Problem with him is he is a one trick pony. Saw him live back in 2006, he does put on a good show. I wish I had his energy.

Yeah, he can play guitar, bass and drums and ***ANY*** style and genre of music.

Clues:

Blues, classical, metal, neo-classical, rock, country, ad infinitum.

STUDY UP.
Originally Posted by killerv

Problem with him is he is a one trick pony. Saw him live back in 2006, he does put on a good show. I wish I had his energy.

Saw Yngwie perform at the Dallas Vintage Guitar Show about 10 years ago.
He was great, but he had his amplifiers cranked up so Load it was almost unbearable. Even for and old deaf fart like me.
Never understood why some performers crank their amps up like that. Totally ruins the show.
Albert Cummings, Jeff Healy
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Saw Yngwie perform at the Dallas Vintage Guitar Show about 10 years ago.
He was great, but he had his amplifiers cranked up so Load it was almost unbearable. Even for and old deaf fart like me.
Never understood why some performers crank their amps up like that. Totally ruins the show.

I read an article in some music magazine many years ago that so many performers are deaf from playing on stage with their amplifiers cranked up and their speakers right next to them that they have gone basically deaf. They can't tell the speakers were way too loud for normal folks. The article suggested talking to the sound people at the concert if the sound level is too loud for your ears- you can bet you aren't the only one feeling that way....
Add Dwayne Eddy to the list.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Chet!!
When you can make it look as easy as Mister Atkins, you are a great one.
This is my fave Chet.

Chet helped out young folks.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Chet helped out young folks.

That may be true but Mark Knopfler was well on his way when he did this album with Chet. smile

This is my fave Chet.

Outstanding. "Best" is hard to pin down. Just like with gear or rifles, depends on what you like.

It's not my thread, you ignorant old fugk. Do the world a solid. Go crawl in a ditch and shoot yourself in the head.
Dirt, you seem to have a bent for name-calling and ordering folks to do nasty stuff - in your posts, your ill will is exceeded only by your vulgarity.

Dirt, you seem to have a bent for name-calling and ordering folks to do nasty stuff - in your posts, your ill will is exceeded only by your vulgarity.

FOAD, you pompous old jackass. You just can't get a clue.
Said it in first post. Zakk gets my vote
Tim Henson. Newish band, kid is only 28, but the whole band is talented as hell......give 'em a listen
Interesting composition with complexity. There's talent there.
It ain't Clapton for either one. He was really influential but there are many better guitar players.
Chuck Berry ........all of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks....
Cody Canada!
Dont forget about Leslie West! Hendrix considered him the best when asked on more than one occasion.

He slipped my mind for sure.
This guy gets some props from some of us:

[/quote cccc] Dirt, you seem to have a bent for name-calling and ordering folks to do nasty stuff - in your posts, your ill will is exceeded only by your vulgarity.
[/quote]

[/quote Dirt] FOAD, you pompous old jackass. You just can't get a clue.[/quote]

[/quote cccc] No clues needed in your case - your sad state and degraded thinking are stamped on your forehead and in all of your nasty posts. You must be such a happy and satisfied person.[/quote]
- - - -It's not my thread, you ignorant old fugk. Do the world a solid. Go crawl in a ditch and shoot yourself in the head.

FOAD, you pompous old jackass. You just can't get a clue.[/quote]
No clues needed in your case - your sad state and degraded thinking are stamped on your forehead and in all of your nasty posts. You must be such a happy and satisfied person.
[/quote]

I'm fugking gleeful.

Now, FOAD. You pompous, contentious old coot.
Bye Dirt.
Bye Dirt.

GFY

Dont forget about Leslie West! Hendrix considered him the best when asked on more than one occasion.

It's funny how many times I've heard about Hendrix being asked who was best.

Phil Keaggy

Leslie West

Billy Gibbons

There was a reason he was being asked and a reason he is quoted on this thread as having answered the above.

It was because he was THE guy.

He changed everything in three years and three studio albums.
© 24hourcampfire