Home
I cannot. blush
Yes, but I had to type very long reports for my work. Fortunately, it stuck with me.
I type with the biblical style. ‘Seek and ye shall find…”
Yes but you may not understand it!
Yep, took typing class in high school somewhere around the late 1960's and when computer systems became commonly available in the early 1980's the typing skills came right back in short order.
10th grade typing class proved to be one of the most useful classes of high school.
Sure I can. It just wouldn’t make any sense. 😉

I use the “Columbus method”. Search and land.
I have hard time, even looking at the keys.

Way back in high school 60+years ago,I signed up for a typing course. After two weeks, the teacher advised to switch to a shop course, I was so bad.. It has not got any better since then.
Yes. Typing class was a graduation requirement at my high school. It is a great time saver. In hindsight, it is one of the most useful classes I ever took.
Nope. I shunned typing class in high school because I was going to fly airplanes, not be a secretary. That was decades before computers, you realize.

Never learned. Despite being a successful writer, I still look at the keys and type with two fingers. Pretty quick at it, but I often get tpyos...
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Yep, took typing class in high school somewhere around the late 1960's and when computer systems became commonly available in the early 1980's the typing skills came right back in short order.

Same here.
I can't type looking at the keys
Originally Posted by aboltfan
10th grade typing class proved to be one of the most useful classes of high school.

Same. I could type 65 words per minute in high school. Still can type pretty fast.

Yep. Did the same.
twklshd saklasdf asd if weoi 2q345 slkfdj
laugh
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I can't type looking at the keys

This is me.... I type then have to proof read everything... my brain is not connected to my finger apparently... and I have discovered I have dyslexia...
I think it was sophmore year of h.s. when I took typing. Fast forward 4 years and I get a call from the registrar at college, "I see you're signed up for graduation, problem is you don't have enough credits." After some scrambling I was able to sign up for a keyboarding class. Prof told me his goal is to get the students to 40 wpm and if I could do that I could test out. I practiced on the PC one day and showed up for his class the next. Took a timed test, made the 40 wpm goal got my credits and was able to graduate. So yeah, I was glad I took that typing class in h.s.
Ytrds
I can.. smile I had a full year of typing class in high school. Get caught lookin' at yer fingers and the teacher moved yer butt into the front, center row so she could watch yer every move... laugh

I was in that class when Kennedy was shot.. She cried most of the hour.. But she was a great teacher overall..
Yes but not always.

I passed my typing test for the Navy doing the hunt and peck with 2 fingers by 1 word back in 2003. I was typing away when a stapler went flying past my head. Staff Sergeant Stevenson threw it at me and said "PO Teal, you'll never learn nor get fast if you watch your hands. I see it again and the next one won't miss". Was my 2nd day there. I forced myself to learn by touch after.
Originally Posted by Deans

Yep. Did the same.

Touch typing with an IBM Selectric. Was totally worth taking it in HS - teacher was named Mrs. Fox, and she was . . .

My MacBook is a bitch to touchtype on as you can't get a proper tactile feel on the keyboard.
Could type 100+ words per minute in high school when practiced up. Still pretty proficient at it.

Taught by our business teacher Mr. Kilgore who was a teacher my parents also had in high school. He ran some momma cows and had bird dogs back when we still had quail.
Spot and stalk here.
High school typing class machines didn't have the letters on the keys so you had to learn by touch or guess ,there was a chart In the front of the room but you would get scolded at if you looked up and tried to map out the pattern
pf, cosle U gan@
Actually, I can, but doing it on the keyboard of my laptop is a bit of a challenge. As to the value of a typing course in high school, I agree that it was one of my most valuable courses. There were three of us junior boys (we "should" have been in something more "valuable") along with a pack of outlaw senior boys. The first day, the instructor said, "You can act like idiots and waste your time and mine, or you can behave and learn how to type. If you do, this time next year you might be in an air-conditioned quonset hut behind a desk instead of being out in the mud with little yellow men trying to kill you". Class went quite well.
Not without proof reading.
i could 40 years ago when i took typing in high school ,never used it ,no computers back then ,ten years later still could type but slower.20 years later when get first computer ,could not type any more. 2 finger hunt and beck. lost all my training
Typing class in HS about 1970 on a manual typewriter, so I can.
No, I never took typing in school. I search and peck away.
That’s the reason my post have so many edits lol.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I cannot. blush

Neither can I.

kwg
I took typing class back in the 70's in high school, why, because that is where all the girls were at. I guess it has served me well over the years.
Yes. 30 years as an IT guy will do that to you.
Also took typing in high school and was quite proficient at 65 wpm.

Can't type like that anymore. About a year ago I ripped the sagittal band ligament on the middle finger of my right hand and it now bends a little sideways and no longer hits the right keys so now I hunt and peck. Frustrating
took typing class my sophomore year of high school, 1965. About 28 typewriters in the room, with which 6 were electric and first serve, the rest were manual. I was lucky as my previous class was close by and I could get to this class really quick, and would manage to get a electric one most of the time. We had a teacher that was just fresh out of college and first year of teaching, so kind of on the naïve side. He very seldom walked around the room to check students. I was never coordinated enough to type with the correct method, and never got past the two finger method. I still passed the class with a B+ and don't remember exactly how many words per minute, but was approximately in the top 20% of the class. I just seemed to have a knack of correct spelling and locating the keys quickly. Now with a computer keyboard and age, not so much. Spell check is now my savior.
I was getting pussy from the daughter of my typing teacher in high school, she got me a copy of the test we were gonna have to type for the finals. I pre typed it with just a couple of mistakes and 3 or 4 words over the minimum. When the test came around I put the piece behind a blank sheat and rolled it into the typewriter, banged around till time was up and pulled the back sheet out and handed it in. 😁😁😁
Nope
Most long-term useful class I took in high school. I can't imagine not having keyboard skills.
abasolutely
actually, i did very well in typing class in high school. about 80 wpm.
pharmacist for the last 25 years, so fast typing very important.
I was afraid to take the class because I can't spell well.
Not knowing all you do is read. laugh
I got to select whatever classes I needed in high school....except one.
Pop "insisted" i take typing! 😡
Yeah, okay.
Within the second six weeks, I was burning 45wpm. The teacher thought she had a "phenom"! My second year of typing class, I passed with 45wpm. 😜
Two years in highschool and the rest of my working life was sitting behind a keyboard.
One job (15 years) required taking short dictations and then proof reading them back before releasing them. An error or typo "could" get you fired.

One weirdo thing.
Me and two friends went horseback riding just before school ended.
The horse I was riding caught me not paying attention and began bucking. I did a swan dive with a half twist and landed on the back of my head and left shoulder. It broke my left collarbone.
My Typing I final was a written exam! LOL!
Hunt and peck.

Ron
130 words per minute. I was a lot faster on an IBM selectric than I am on a computer keyboard.

The quick fox jumped over the lazy dog
The quick fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Reminds me - half the secretaries in Washington are hunt n peckers.
Nope....
But have made do when it counts.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I cannot. blush

Of course. Took typing in high school, back in the late 1970s. No looking was allowed. I got real fast, too. Came in handy when personal computing became common in the 1980s.
Not very good now. A friend and I took typing in high school because we knew it would be all girls except for us and we sat behind the 2 hottest girls in the class. I could type real fast on the old mechanical typewriters but made a lot of mistakes.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Deans

Yep. Did the same.

Touch typing with an IBM Selectric. Was totally worth taking it in HS - teacher was named Mrs. Fox, and she was . . .

My MacBook is a bitch to touchtype on as you can't get a proper tactile feel on the keyboard.

Yeah, the MacBook slows me way down, and increases my typos a lot. When I had the full sized desktop and keyboard, I could fly on it. Amazing speed and precision. But not with a MacBook. At first I thought it would just take time on it to get back up to speed and accuracy, but nope. I've been on the MacBook for like five or six years, and I'm as bad with it as I was the day I got it. Almost, anyway.
Originally Posted by grouseman
Most long-term useful class I took in high school. I can't imagine not having keyboard skills.

Same.
Wow, I had a semester of typing class in high school.

After sophomore year, you needed to do reports that were typed. And you were only allowed a few correction on your paper.

so I can type without looking at the keyboard.
Two fingers and I know where this key is ..........
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
High school typing class machines didn't have the letters on the keys so you had to learn by touch or guess ,there was a chart In the front of the room but you would get scolded at if you looked up and tried to map out the pattern

That was the method they used when I was trying to get out of HS.

Like others said its one of the best things my mother forced me to do.

Didn't use it so much for years then all of a sudden if you couldn't type and didn't have computer skills you were in trouble. At least in my trade. My job put me in front of a lot of different peoples desk and it seemed any number of different keyboards and then it was using a laptop balanced on top of a machine or on the floor or on top of a trash can etc.

Still can't spell or write for chit. Spell check is my bud.
Used to could, but the iPad put and end to that nonsense. Worse, now I make more mistakes watching every fingerpoke than I ever did touch-typing.
Can't type without looking at the keys. I do whats known far and wide as secretary style typing. I'm a hunt and pecker typer, one might say.
You bet. My parents insisted I take a typing class in High School and it paid off immediately after I graduated. In college, I got a part time job typing motor carrier freight bills after classes which helped pay for my education.
Yep, had typing in high school, like riding a bicycle or jacking off, you don’t forget how!!
Originally Posted by Jim1611

KAWI, is that you? smile

I miss that guy.
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Jim1611

KAWI, is that you? smile

I miss that guy.

LOL. Yep. Ole KAWI was funny.
Oh hell yeah, my last job was an instructor at Community College.
My students were always in shock that I could type.

My fingers are on the wrong key strokes with the right hand,
never has bothered me
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Used to could, but the iPad put and end to that nonsense. Worse, now I make more mistakes watching every fingerpoke than I ever did touch-typing.

This.
Yup. I took typing in High School and got pretty good at it, to this day I never look at the keys to type. If I looked at them it would short circuit my brain and it would slow me down considerably. I can't type on an Ipad for crap, that's why I always prefer a laptop.
Not if I want what I'm typing to make sense.
As others have said, best class I ever took in high school.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Yup. I took typing in High School and got pretty good at it, to this day I never look at the keys to type. If I looked at them it would short circuit my brain and it would slow me down considerably. .

Yep. Looking at the keys will throw me off completely.
Yup. Edgeumucayshon is in software development. Haven't typed a line of code in years. It comes back quickly with one of them there ergo keybords. I still can't drive my pickup without looking at the keys in my hand though. Weird.
Took typing my final semester in high school. 60 wpm

My teacher lived down the street from me. She was also teaching a math class, although her college degree was in business.

I would finish my classroom typing assignments quickly and then the teacher would call me up to her desk. I helped her to review and understand her next day’s math topics.

Started computer science classes my college freshman year. Typing skills were invaluable. I whizzed through my time at the keypunch machine while my classmates spent hours punching their assignments.

Typing skills served me well during a 35-year software career.

yeah
Without looking at the keys.

That wasn’t too hard.
Not only do I have to search back and forth for the letter I want, I only use my right thumb, which is fat, so I’m often hitting the wrong freakin key!
Some folks like to converse via texts. I find it a pain in my azz! After two or three replies, look for the damn thing to ring, because I’ll talk in person.
I regard cell phones and such as a necessary evil at best. Too handy and useful to do without, but I cringe to see kids as young as tweens with them. Families sitting in a restaurant, ignoring the people they’re with, looking at the device in their hands. Young people at work breaks, same situation.
I can’t see how these damn things won’t result in personal social skills and face to face communication suffering at some point.
I personally would much rather have a desktop PC for business and a small cell phone for keeping in touch.
I believe there’s a special spot in hell for the people who have forced these things into everyone’s lives. The reliance on them and helplessness without them would be funny if it wasn’t so pitiable.
Conveniency is one thing, but we’ve got at least a couple generations of people who are complete imbeciles without a damn I phone to help them figure out even the simplest equations.
It’s a damn shame.
7mm
Yes I can type without lookin at the keys—I can use a slide rule too.
Originally Posted by kkahmann

I can type without looking at the keys and still have my old slide rules but it would take a bit of time for that skill to come back. So good on you for keeping it up.
Typing class in HS had typewriters with keys with no letters, so I learned to type without looking at the letters from the get go.
Type w/o looking at keys.
Fish w/o looking at Keys.
Drive w/o looking at keys.
Open doors w/o looking at keys.
Originally Posted by aboltfan

Yep. I wish I had an IBM Selectric II typewriter to this day.
I can pee without lookin but my belly is so big I cant see it anyhow!!
I can but what I type is unintelligible.
I can't type while looking at them. These fat fingers will have me misspelling everything.
Usetocould.

8th grade typing class.

Gotta peek a little now, but I never type on a keyboard.
Just use this tablet.
Interesting to me how some have these skills and some flat out don't!
It would be interesting what other skills might be linked to keyboard skills, ie. reading music/playing instruments? Possibly others?

I happen to NOT have these skills... pecking away at my keyboard as we speak! Electronic data entry is now a huge part of health care and erodes my love daily for my job. The bureaucracy of "big business" medicine, government intervention, and the impersonal nature of modern electronics/technology have really eroded the nature of the physician/patient relationship and taken a lot of the "art" out of the practice of medicine. The "keyboard", computer, and other electronics just take me away from the "hands on" care of the patient with jobs/skills once relegated to the lab, medical records, etc. whose personnel had no contact with patients directly.

Subconsciously, I can tell my brain knows where on the keyboard the specific keys are. I just have never been able to make that transition to eyes off the keyboard and using multiple fingers in a consistent pattern. I will peck on (and have others laugh at me) until I retire here in about 6 months. I'm grateful that my other skills have served me well in the care of others!!!

PS- Give me a problem solving challenge in mathematics, physics, chemistry, or other "common sense" type problems and I will compete very favorably, "keyboard skills" be damned!!!
of course I can tupw wiothoyt looking st the keus. I tppk highscjiil typong class, so I beyyer be anle to or my momma woyld slap mu bejind.....

actually did take typing class and never really thought I would need it, but as it turns out I needed that more than art class. LOL...
Yes.
Originally Posted by kkahmann

So, you're running 50-50 on useful skills.

wink
My high school typing class teacher was also the principal's secretary. Her name was Miss Cox. You can imagine the jokes.

A friend of mine walked up to her at her post outside the principal's office and asked her, "You wanna screw?" When she responded with outrage, my friend opened his hand showing a screw, and said he found it on the floor in front of her desk and just wanted to know if she wanted it before he threw it away. LOL. I was in the room as a witness.

Use the Force, Luke.
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Interesting to me how some have these skills and some flat out don't!
It would be interesting what other skills might be linked to keyboard skills, ie. reading music/playing instruments? Possibly others?

I happen to NOT have these skills... pecking away at my keyboard as we speak! Electronic data entry is now a huge part of health care and erodes my love daily for my job. The bureaucracy of "big business" medicine, government intervention, and the impersonal nature of modern electronics/technology have really eroded the nature of the physician/patient relationship and taken a lot of the "art" out of the practice of medicine. The "keyboard", computer, and other electronics just take me away from the "hands on" care of the patient with jobs/skills once relegated to the lab, medical records, etc. whose personnel had no contact with patients directly.

Subconsciously, I can tell my brain knows where on the keyboard the specific keys are. I just have never been able to make that transition to eyes off the keyboard and using multiple fingers in a consistent pattern. I will peck on (and have others laugh at me) until I retire here in about 6 months. I'm grateful that my other skills have served me well in the care of others!!!

PS- Give me a problem solving challenge in mathematics, physics, chemistry, or other "common sense" type problems and I will compete very favorably, "keyboard skills" be damned!!!
There are software programs (likely free downloads) that will train you to type correctly within a matter of weeks, if you put in the time.
"The quick red fox jumped over the sleeping brown cow."

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

"He just loved my big sphinx of black and white quartz."
This one contains every letter of the alphabet.

Mrs. Taylor made us all rotate typewriters every 6 weeks.
When it came my turn on the old IBM "Selectric", my speed and accuracy went to hell. I was a little ham fisted anyway, so the old Underwood and Remington's were right up my alley! I was so bad on the electric, she eventually moved me off of it. All I typed on the damned thing was jibberish!
....but on one job, I could cut 13 carbon copies on a manual typewriter!

I also used a "stencil" machine. It typed all caps without using or locking the "CAP" key.

Doing monthly reports, I also learned to "10 key"
"... Give me a problem solving challenge in mathematics, physics, chemistry, or other "common sense" type problems and I will compete very favorably, "keyboard skills" be damned!!! ..."

My fil could cut rafters in his head. I could type "mathmatics" before he could find the "m".

SECRETARY - the longest complete word typed with only one hand*. (left)

* - from the depths of my interesting file of useless information!
Yes
05C/31C here.
Yes.
No - But my kids both learned on an app Called Mavis Beacon and
can type accurately and very fast.
Old Cuss
I can’t. Fortunately for me I only type a couple hundred words or so day on a keyboard for brief notes and the rest of it is using a mouse to click on boxes or to enter numbers with the key board.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Type w/o looking at keys.
Fish w/o looking at Keys.
Drive w/o looking at keys.
Open doors w/o looking at keys.

What kind of fish keys ya got?
🤣
Note the capital K. Keys; as in islands. Here in Floriduh.
Nope
Never took typing in high school
Yes. "Touch typing" was the most valuable computer course I ever took (in high school).
Yes, took a keyboarding class my first year in college. Best thing I ever did. Unfortunately, at work, I was the only guy in the shop that could type. So whenever a report or other document needed to be typed, it was my job. Other guys were all hunt and peckers. Retired now so life is good.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Nope. I shunned typing class in high school because I was going to fly airplanes, not be a secretary. That was decades before computers, you realize.

Never learned. Despite being a successful writer, I still look at the keys and type with two fingers. Pretty quick at it, but I often get tpyos...

I "learned" to type on my mother's manual at age 8. She was a university professor, and could type--but I didn't have the finger-strength to do it right, so typed one-fingered.

Still do, occasionally looking down at the keyboard. (Just typed that without looking down.)

When Eileen and I got married, she was getting her master's degree in creative writing, so had to write a book (not a dissertation or thesis), but she never took typing in high school, and I'd been writing articles (one book) for years. So I typed her book of short stories two-fingered, and only made--as she recalls--two typos in 200 pages.

But sure couldn't do it blind-folded.
Yep, still can, although not speedily. High school typing class back in the early 1980's could make over 80 words per minute. I have some pretty bad neuropathy in my hands now, so I have to look to make sure that my fingers are on the home keys when I start.

Was the IBM Selectric the one with the spherical ball with the type on it? We had all of one in our class and it was worn, but I liked using that one, it would flat go if the ball didn't fly off.
Typing class in 10th grade was the most valuable take away from high school. I type like a tap dancer on meth.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Typing class in 10th grade was the most valuable take away from high school. I type like a tap dancer on meth.

Took “computer science” on an Apple IIe too. DOS programming.
Spent most of the time throwing little balls of paper into the gheri curl of the black dude that sat in front of me.
Yes. But all the words are misspelled.
I can. I believe 35wpm was required to pass typing class in HS. Thinking I scored 38wpm. My mother could type at lightening speed, as she had a defense contractor job during WWII. People wrote letters when I was a kid and she was always typing out a letter to someone. Everyone knew the postman and would leave food or favors for the man.
Back in the stone age when I was in HS, I took all my core classes for college (math & sciences) as soon as I could and was done with them all by the end of my junior year. My senior year, outside of the english, history and social studies we had to take every year, I took art, drafting and typing. Art was OK and was fun. I excelled in drafting and did well. Typing was a chore. Couldn't keep my eyes off the keys so the teacher put me on the machine with NO letters, numbers or characters on them. I think I topped out somewhere around 25 wpm. Still can't NOT look at the keys. Made my living drafting, manual and CAD, so all turned out for the best.
Nope, took typing in high school and the teacher gave me D- out of the goodness of her heart. Can't read music either.
I had a former girlfriend get mad at me because I could type faster than she could.

Actually, she got mad a lot.....
Most valuable class in high school and I got to relay that to the teacher at our 20th reunion.
I learned to type in high school. I use a computer all day at work, so I get a lot of practice.
I learned over 70 years ago. Made money with this skill for several years before I left school. It has been helpful all my life. I tried to learn shorthand but I walked away from that one. I regretted not having that skill many times.

Jim
Yes
Took typing in High school back in 1962, and was a fair typist. In early 1968 I went to radio teletype school in Ft. Gordon, Ga. and had to relearn the keyboard, since the teletype just had three rows of keys instead of four. Then after the Army had to relearn a regular keyboard. Bad typists now as I have Arthritis in my hands. miles
Yes I can but I am a lot faster if I look. I use a I Pad touch screen mostly. I have a desk top still at the office but I only an there a few hours a week and find myself using my ipad even if I am there at my desk.
NO.

I could type about 75 words a minute when I finished my high school typing class in 1969.

Hadn't typed 'till I joined the 'fire in '01.

I figured typing would come back to me.....NO. Gotta look at the keyboard, then type with two fingers.

I am getting quicker at that. Getting so I remember more of where the keys are now.

Virgil B.
I have to keep an eye on the keyboard, but muscle memory speeds me up somewhat. I can probably go about 30 wpm, maybe better, but I've never timed myself. Words that I type often seem to flow very nicely and I don't have to correct many mistakes, but words rarely used slow me down considerably.

I HATE the caps lock key! I hate the auto-corrupt function on my phone even more.
My hunt and pecking has become unconscious. I look at the keys but my hands just do what they do without thinking about it.
One of the most useful classes I ever took was typing in my junior year in high school. I could type about 65-75 words a minute back then and I can still type pretty well but I have to go back and fix mistakes often. Typing - or what they call keyboard now I think- was a great help when I was running my business and filling out forms, sending emails, responses, typing letters, invoicing, and general office duties of a small office. I still type pretty good except for when I have to respond on my cell phone and my fat fingers just won't narrow down to those little keys so I'm constantly going back and correcting...

Bob
I can sort of, I often liken it to the cartoon cliff fall. You know in the old cartoons where a guy walks off a cliff, and it's only when he stops and looks down, that he falls. I can type without looking until I realize I am, then I screw up.

I typed all this in the dark, looking at the screen. A few mistakes where I had to back up and make a correction. Good days and bad days. Sometimes I impress myself, some days I struggle and can't do it for crap. My problem is I learned from doing it, so I never learned proper technique, so I'm never on the same place on the keyboard. The more I think about what I'm doing, the worse I do.
Right now my right hand is in a normal typing position. My left hand is on the left side of the keyboard, at 9 o'clock, 90 degrees off in relation to the right
In a lighted room, at a desk, a little looking a little not, I can actually type pretty damn fast. At work lots of people would asked me where I learned to type so well.
I took typing class in high school but never could get the hang of it that well and was somewhere around 35 or so words per minute but with the invention of the WWW and spending way to much time on my laptop I'm now up to 40!! But seriously, now I could probably type 60 or better.
Nope not a typewriter not a keyboard not a phone not nothing.
Yes. Easy A in 10th grade.
Yes, we were taught in high school typing class. BS U Xb rgtow ewKKT EWttk daR QGWB U RIS Grr,

Please excuse. My fingers were shifted one key to the left...
Typing classes 2 years in high school and 1 in college. Computer programmer for, whew, 35 years… Yeah, I can type without looking at the keyboard. :-) Never got good on the number pad though and was always faster with the numbers on the keyboard so they are what I use.
Yes.
© 24hourcampfire