Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Used to could, but the iPad put and end to that nonsense. Worse, now I make more mistakes watching every fingerpoke than I ever did touch-typing.

This.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB4

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yup. I took typing in High School and got pretty good at it, to this day I never look at the keys to type. If I looked at them it would short circuit my brain and it would slow me down considerably. I can't type on an Ipad for crap, that's why I always prefer a laptop.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Not if I want what I'm typing to make sense.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
As others have said, best class I ever took in high school.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Yup. I took typing in High School and got pretty good at it, to this day I never look at the keys to type. If I looked at them it would short circuit my brain and it would slow me down considerably. .

Yep. Looking at the keys will throw me off completely.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Yup. Edgeumucayshon is in software development. Haven't typed a line of code in years. It comes back quickly with one of them there ergo keybords. I still can't drive my pickup without looking at the keys in my hand though. Weird.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took typing my final semester in high school. 60 wpm

My teacher lived down the street from me. She was also teaching a math class, although her college degree was in business.

I would finish my classroom typing assignments quickly and then the teacher would call me up to her desk. I helped her to review and understand her next day’s math topics.

Started computer science classes my college freshman year. Typing skills were invaluable. I whizzed through my time at the keypunch machine while my classmates spent hours punching their assignments.

Typing skills served me well during a 35-year software career.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Yep, took typing class in high school somewhere around the late 1960's and when computer systems became commonly available in the early 1980's the typing skills came right back in short order.

yeah

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Without looking at the keys.

That wasn’t too hard.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not only do I have to search back and forth for the letter I want, I only use my right thumb, which is fat, so I’m often hitting the wrong freakin key!
Some folks like to converse via texts. I find it a pain in my azz! After two or three replies, look for the damn thing to ring, because I’ll talk in person.
I regard cell phones and such as a necessary evil at best. Too handy and useful to do without, but I cringe to see kids as young as tweens with them. Families sitting in a restaurant, ignoring the people they’re with, looking at the device in their hands. Young people at work breaks, same situation.
I can’t see how these damn things won’t result in personal social skills and face to face communication suffering at some point.
I personally would much rather have a desktop PC for business and a small cell phone for keeping in touch.
I believe there’s a special spot in hell for the people who have forced these things into everyone’s lives. The reliance on them and helplessness without them would be funny if it wasn’t so pitiable.
Conveniency is one thing, but we’ve got at least a couple generations of people who are complete imbeciles without a damn I phone to help them figure out even the simplest equations.
It’s a damn shame.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes I can type without lookin at the keys—I can use a slide rule too.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Yes I can type without lookin at the keys—I can use a slide rule too.

I can type without looking at the keys and still have my old slide rules but it would take a bit of time for that skill to come back. So good on you for keeping it up.

Hugh
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Typing class in HS had typewriters with keys with no letters, so I learned to type without looking at the letters from the get go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Type w/o looking at keys.
Fish w/o looking at Keys.
Drive w/o looking at keys.
Open doors w/o looking at keys.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aboltfan
10th grade typing class proved to be one of the most useful classes of high school.

Yep. I wish I had an IBM Selectric II typewriter to this day.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can pee without lookin but my belly is so big I cant see it anyhow!!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can but what I type is unintelligible.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can't type while looking at them. These fat fingers will have me misspelling everything.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usetocould.

8th grade typing class.

Gotta peek a little now, but I never type on a keyboard.
Just use this tablet.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Interesting to me how some have these skills and some flat out don't!
It would be interesting what other skills might be linked to keyboard skills, ie. reading music/playing instruments? Possibly others?

I happen to NOT have these skills... pecking away at my keyboard as we speak! Electronic data entry is now a huge part of health care and erodes my love daily for my job. The bureaucracy of "big business" medicine, government intervention, and the impersonal nature of modern electronics/technology have really eroded the nature of the physician/patient relationship and taken a lot of the "art" out of the practice of medicine. The "keyboard", computer, and other electronics just take me away from the "hands on" care of the patient with jobs/skills once relegated to the lab, medical records, etc. whose personnel had no contact with patients directly.

Subconsciously, I can tell my brain knows where on the keyboard the specific keys are. I just have never been able to make that transition to eyes off the keyboard and using multiple fingers in a consistent pattern. I will peck on (and have others laugh at me) until I retire here in about 6 months. I'm grateful that my other skills have served me well in the care of others!!!

PS- Give me a problem solving challenge in mathematics, physics, chemistry, or other "common sense" type problems and I will compete very favorably, "keyboard skills" be damned!!!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,896
Posts18,479,248
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.