Home
Posted By: Hubert pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Why are there no pickled pigs feet in grocery stores anymore?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Posted By: rong Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Used to gnaw on those as a yure,haven't seen them in years.
Posted By: JeffA Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
I haven’t noticed a shortage because I haven’t looked.
The last time I tried them they sure didn’t taste like what I remembered them tasting like as a kid.
Maybe it’s because all hogs are raised in confinement now and not spending their life standing in pig [bleep].
Posted By: akasparky Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
And they complain about blacks in advertising.

That girl can work the meat right off the bone like a pro.

Originally Posted by JeffA
Posted By: rem141r Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
probably demand. you can get them online.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Originally Posted by Hubert

Safeway has them, frozen. They're in the aisle that caters to the illegal aliens from south of the border.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
I found some in a Mexican market here a while back and had to relive my youth. They were not the same. Hardly any meat on 'em and didn't have the vinegar zing I fondly remembered.

My Mom was the champ at bone picking. She purely loved to gnaw on chicken necks and anything like that where you had to nibble and pick the meat out. I seem to have inherited that trait. She and I would revel in pickled pig's feet as our special treat.

Sadly, nothing like that simple pleasure accrued from what is likely to be my last fling with picked trotters.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Only ones I recall were in a big jar that sat atop the bar in a local joint I sometimes went into as a kid with my dad on Saturday afternoons back around 1960. Never had one and don't recall seeing them around since then. I would have at least tried one by now if they were around but they seem to have vanished.
Posted By: tmitch Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
I remember my dad occasionally bringing home a jar from the local butcher shop. They were pretty good but not much to them. I much preferred the pickled or smoked cow tongue that same shop made.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
You can buy hocks, and pickle them yourself.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
I see these in some stores around here. I'll do eggs and sausages but no trotters or lips.
Pig lips
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Same meat, same animal. In fact, some of the best meat on an animal is in the cheeks and tongue.

I've had BBQ'd pig snout, and it is admittedly a bit chewy. Cheek and tongue, however, are tender and fine-grained. Tongue has no fat at all, while cheek is finely marbled.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22

I ate my share of them as a kid. My grandmother and my Godmother both had country grocery stores.

Wasn’t much left to give the dog when I got through with them,

Also,,,the big jars full of big dill pickles.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Same meat, same animal. In fact, some of the best meat on an animal is in the cheeks and tongue.

Smoked jowls do go good in a big pot of pinto beans.
Posted By: Houser52 Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Back in the 60s before I was old enough to get a “real “ job, I worked for our neighbor who was a farmer. Whenever dinner time came the farmer loaded all of us “field hands” into the back of the pickups and took us to the store. ( Dinner is what meal you ate at noon. It sounds strange that supper is now called dinner)

I always got a can of Vienna sausage and cheese crackers or maybe a bologna sandwich made by the store owner. The rest of the “crew” all had pickled pigs feet from a gallon jar on the counter. The store owner fished them out of the jar with tongs and laid them on a sheet of waxed paper.
Me and the “crew” all sat around outside in the shade eating dinner. I can still see those guys knawing and sucking on those pig feet. I tried a taste only once and that was enough.
Originally Posted by Houser52
Back in the 60s before I was old enough to get a “real “ job, I worked for our neighbor who was a farmer. Whenever dinner time came the farmer loaded all of us “field hands” into the back of the pickups and took us to the store. ( Dinner is what meal you ate at noon. It sounds strange that supper is now called dinner)

I always got a can of Vienna sausage and cheese crackers or maybe a bologna sandwich made by the store owner. The rest of the “crew” all had pickled pigs feet from a gallon jar on the counter. The store owner fished them out of the jar with tongs and laid them on a sheet of waxed paper.
Me and the “crew” all sat around outside in the shade eating dinner. I can still see those guys knawing and sucking on those pig feet. I tried a taste only once and that was enough.

You,,,you,,you gots no soul I says and you don’t knows what fine dining is be all about !!
Posted By: EdM Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
We never had them pickled but my Mother often threw a couple in her pot of long simmered pasta sauce. I never ate them but she and my Dad tore them apart.
Originally Posted by EdM
We never had them pickled but my Mother often threw a couple in her pot of long simmered pasta sauce. I never ate them but she and my Dad tore them apart.

That’s called po folks osso bucco and is right good.
Posted By: Redneck Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
Never saw 'em in grocery stores; only in the dive bars - along with pickled eggs and turkey gizzards.
Posted By: G23 Re: pickled pigs feet - 03/19/22
I just saw a jar in the store the other day, I think it was Walmart. Smaller jar, called pork knuckles now.

G23
© 24hourcampfire