Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why are there no pickled pigs feet in grocery stores anymore?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Used to gnaw on those as a yure,haven't seen them in years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I haven’t noticed a shortage because I haven’t looked.
The last time I tried them they sure didn’t taste like what I remembered them tasting like as a kid.
Maybe it’s because all hogs are raised in confinement now and not spending their life standing in pig [bleep].

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And they complain about blacks in advertising.

That girl can work the meat right off the bone like a pro.

Originally Posted by JeffA

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
probably demand. you can get them online.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hubert

Safeway has them, frozen. They're in the aisle that caters to the illegal aliens from south of the border.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I found some in a Mexican market here a while back and had to relive my youth. They were not the same. Hardly any meat on 'em and didn't have the vinegar zing I fondly remembered.

My Mom was the champ at bone picking. She purely loved to gnaw on chicken necks and anything like that where you had to nibble and pick the meat out. I seem to have inherited that trait. She and I would revel in pickled pig's feet as our special treat.

Sadly, nothing like that simple pleasure accrued from what is likely to be my last fling with picked trotters.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only ones I recall were in a big jar that sat atop the bar in a local joint I sometimes went into as a kid with my dad on Saturday afternoons back around 1960. Never had one and don't recall seeing them around since then. I would have at least tried one by now if they were around but they seem to have vanished.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I remember my dad occasionally bringing home a jar from the local butcher shop. They were pretty good but not much to them. I much preferred the pickled or smoked cow tongue that same shop made.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You can buy hocks, and pickle them yourself.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see these in some stores around here. I'll do eggs and sausages but no trotters or lips.
Pig lips

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Same meat, same animal. In fact, some of the best meat on an animal is in the cheeks and tongue.

I've had BBQ'd pig snout, and it is admittedly a bit chewy. Cheek and tongue, however, are tender and fine-grained. Tongue has no fat at all, while cheek is finely marbled.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hubert

I ate my share of them as a kid. My grandmother and my Godmother both had country grocery stores.

Wasn’t much left to give the dog when I got through with them,

Also,,,the big jars full of big dill pickles.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Same meat, same animal. In fact, some of the best meat on an animal is in the cheeks and tongue.

Smoked jowls do go good in a big pot of pinto beans.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Back in the 60s before I was old enough to get a “real “ job, I worked for our neighbor who was a farmer. Whenever dinner time came the farmer loaded all of us “field hands” into the back of the pickups and took us to the store. ( Dinner is what meal you ate at noon. It sounds strange that supper is now called dinner)

I always got a can of Vienna sausage and cheese crackers or maybe a bologna sandwich made by the store owner. The rest of the “crew” all had pickled pigs feet from a gallon jar on the counter. The store owner fished them out of the jar with tongs and laid them on a sheet of waxed paper.
Me and the “crew” all sat around outside in the shade eating dinner. I can still see those guys knawing and sucking on those pig feet. I tried a taste only once and that was enough.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Houser52
Back in the 60s before I was old enough to get a “real “ job, I worked for our neighbor who was a farmer. Whenever dinner time came the farmer loaded all of us “field hands” into the back of the pickups and took us to the store. ( Dinner is what meal you ate at noon. It sounds strange that supper is now called dinner)

I always got a can of Vienna sausage and cheese crackers or maybe a bologna sandwich made by the store owner. The rest of the “crew” all had pickled pigs feet from a gallon jar on the counter. The store owner fished them out of the jar with tongs and laid them on a sheet of waxed paper.
Me and the “crew” all sat around outside in the shade eating dinner. I can still see those guys knawing and sucking on those pig feet. I tried a taste only once and that was enough.

You,,,you,,you gots no soul I says and you don’t knows what fine dining is be all about !!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We never had them pickled but my Mother often threw a couple in her pot of long simmered pasta sauce. I never ate them but she and my Dad tore them apart.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EdM
We never had them pickled but my Mother often threw a couple in her pot of long simmered pasta sauce. I never ate them but she and my Dad tore them apart.

That’s called po folks osso bucco and is right good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,610
Posts18,473,854
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.