Posted By: tikkanut Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22

Yep..........

actually used to live 30 minutes from the store before I moved to Utah in '79

Bought a 29 Smith 8 3/8" for $277 OTD back then...1977

They offer dealer pricing too iffin you're an FFL
Posted By: tzone Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22
Very good
Posted By: 57springer Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22
In my opinion yes , an hour away from me . I have done much business with them.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22
Huge store, act as a distributor for other shops. Big warehouse.

Was there looking at O/U shotguns, another guy was wanting Browning and was looking
at two different lines, couldn't decide. The had 4 or 5 on the counter. He looked at
the counter guy and ask if "you have this model in 32" barrels?".

"We are a full stocking dealer we have that in every length from 24 up"

Imagine the inventory in the warehouse if they stock every single variation in the
Browning line.

And that's just Browning!
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22
Only bummer is there used to be a room with used shotguns.......now it’s a rack.
Great store.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Yep..........

actually used to live 30 minutes from the store before I moved to Utah in '79

Bought a 29 Smith 8 3/8" for $277 OTD back then...1977

They offer dealer pricing too iffin you're an FFL

Cousin sent me a post on FB, Bob's Army Navy is going out of business. frown
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22
Never been there but their reputation extends all the way up to Lake Ontario. I recall hearing of them but couldn't recall where they were until I googled it. Should have known it was somewhere in western PA.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22

Iffin I wasn't 2K miles away........

I'd go see if they had any SP primers.......

Down to my last 10K..........

https://www.gricegunshop.com/
Posted By: rem141r Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/29/22
been there many times. huge selection and decent prices. the customer service can be somewhat schitty. some of the guys who have been there for years act like they're doing you a favor when they sell you a gun. but they probably deal with dipschits day in and day out so you'll have that. i have bought quite a few guns there including a few of their limited edition remington pumps.

my boys and me would make a day of it and hit grices and bobs army navy and eat in town somewhere. bobs is going out of business which is a bummer. its one of those old fashioned places with moldy old stuff stacked floor to ceiling. decent gun selection there too.

if you go, sign up for their mailing list and they'll send you their ads. lots of nice stuff. if you want it, they probably have it.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by rem141r
been there many times. huge selection and decent prices. the customer service can be somewhat schitty. some of the guys who have been there for years act like they're doing you a favor when they sell you a gun. but they probably deal with dipschits day in and day out so you'll have that. i have bought quite a few guns there including a few of their limited edition remington pumps.

my boys and me would make a day of it and hit grices and bobs army navy and eat in town somewhere. bobs is going out of business which is a bummer. its one of those old fashioned places with moldy old stuff stacked floor to ceiling. decent gun selection there too.

if you go, sign up for their mailing list and they'll send you their ads. lots of nice stuff. if you want it, they probably have it.

Every time I went to Clearfield with my uncle there were 2 stops given. Grice's and Bob's. Last time I was back a couple years ago, we went into town and I was surprised at the rude, curmudgeonly attitude of the guys behind the gun counter. Uncle and cousin tells me that the norm there anymore. THey've gotten a reputation for it I guess.
Posted By: 57springer Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
They do get a few jerks for employees from time to time as others are posting . But for the most part good service !
Posted By: rem141r Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
ya you can tell the ones who are schitheads. they sit on their little throne stools with their arms crossed and act like they got better things to do. the one guy in particular sits on the aisle side of the left hand main counter.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Apppreciate the quick replies fellas. Just scored on some .264 130gr Accubonds. Been looking for months.
AS someone else posted , Bobs Army is closing on june 24th , every thing is on discount up to 30% off . I called and asked about guns 10% on them , The gal said higher discounts closer to closing .
Posted By: basdjs Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Their inventory of new and used guns is usually among of the best around but they’re not real customer friendly. I always feel like I’m imposing to ask anything of the guys behind the gun counter. Prune juice and stool softener might help ‘em!
ya you can tell the ones who are schitheads. they sit on their little throne stools with their arms crossed and act like they got better things to do. the one guy in particular sits on the aisle side of the left hand main counter.

laugh laugh Yeah I know who you mean smirk There used to be a guy back in the second room who always managed to tell you how important he was as a range officer at his gun club . I mean he NEVER EVER failed to bring it up in the course of the conversation. laugh Now he was annoying to say the least.........
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Only bummer is there used to be a room with used shotguns.......now it’s a rack.
Great store.

If we are on the same page it was Browning/Winchester closeouts.
Dinged new guns, things like that. I bought a Sporting Clays gun out of
that room. It was a demo a Rep. Took to a big shoot.
$1800 gun cost me $1200. It had 2 very small dings in the buttstock, look like
ring/watchmarks. Suited me perfectly, it's not pristine so I won't put the first mark on it.

Do not, ever, try to haggle. They get pissy if you try. On new, regular price guns, they are
pricey. I have went there to finger a gun I was interested in, then buy it local for less $$$💩
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
I have ordered a lot from Grice. Very good place. I especially loved them back when they had all the special run Remingtons. As a matter of fact, UPS just delivered a shotgun from them today.
Posted By: willycc Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Bought more than several there.If there not running a special I can usually beat there price on new elsewhere if Bobs has I can usually do better there.The bargains at Grices used to be in the used gun I’ve got some good deals over the years.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Blue Collar Reloading is usually cheaper, and no sales tax if you’re not in North Carolina.

Grice seems to have been well supplied by Hornady during these last 2 years. Like others have said, their in store staff are a bunch of jagoffs, but if ordering online you are good to go.
Posted By: styckbow Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22

No primers at all! Their retail store is well stocked with guns. As others stated, the staff are mostly jagoffs. They lost their local following of reloaders during the primer/powder shortage over the last 2 years. As a business with a hazmat license, they took to gunbroker to auction all their primers and powder at the ridiculous prices going on, while selling none through the store. The store shelves are bare of primers and most powders while they take advantage of the shortage prices selling exclusively online.
Posted By: ronwethington Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
I have a Remington 7600 in .243 from a special run. Laminate stock and unfired in box. It sure looks nice!
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Been there many times, price are nothing special. But the employee seem to be. Was looking for federal 338 win mag, employee said 338 federal was the same and would work. I found a box of 338 win mag and a box of 338 federal. Then showed him the difference. He had nothing to say.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22

They have none
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Grice used to be the biggest employer in Clearfield county. We were just there in February
Posted By: dubePA Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
They were big on non catalog Remingtons for years. Special run pumps in 35 Whelan, plus laminated, maple and synthetic stock pumps, for example.

Back in the late 90s when 700ADL synthetics came out, they offered six or so, different chamberings that were never in the Remington catalog. Like the 260 as an example. Guy at our club wanted one, so he bought a used ADL in308, put a BDL 260 take off barrel on it. Matte finish receiver, shiny BDL barrel.

Told him the gun shop near my cabin, had ADLs in 260, he called me a liar. Months later another member was at Grice's and told him yep, you can get one there, that had matching matte finish metal. Whatever special run Remingtons that came from Grices appeared, were always in stock at our gun shop.

Buddy and I each got an ADL synthetic in 223, with a heavier bbl than the normal version, also out of Grice's. Both are tack drivers.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Every time I visit relatives in PA my brother and I will run to Clearfield and visit Grices and Bobs. Followed by a burger at Dennys (not the chain place) or a calzone at that place beside the river not far from Grices. First gun I bought from them was in the mid 70's. A LH Rem 700 BDL in 7mm mag.
They may not always have the lowest prices but I always try to buy something nice from them. They are a dying breed and we need to keep them in business. Their inventory is amazing.

Going to miss visiting Bobs. I love walking in there and seeing stacks of boots and hunting clothing and walking around on those old wooden floors.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Went for the first time last year. About an hour plus from our place in PA. Big store, wasn't particularly impressed with the sales staff, but I bought two guns from them for a fair price, a Pre-64 standard in 270 WCF and an unusual (at least to me) Savage 99 Carbine in 303 S
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Back in the 80's when I had my gun shop, Grice was one of my most reliable suppliers. Their prices were good, and they were nice to talk to on the phone. I can't remember but I might have been using a dealers/wholesale catalog.
I didn't know there was still a Grice Wholesale!
Posted By: bpas105 Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
If you go, save some time to visit the car museum just a couple blocks away. Trust me, it's not just about cars there - some taxidermists (and hunters) have done very well in that neck of the woods.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Haven't been there in several years
Do they still have the rack full of used guns?
Man there were some nice ones there, except for the chains thru trigger guards and the scratches they made.
Too bad about BOB's, it was always a stop too.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
I can guess that Grice has less than 1/2 of the guns on display. Many racks were removed. I was just there Friday.
Bob's sale is 5-10% off most items. I never saw 30% marked on any display. Firearms 5%, Archery 10%, optics 10%, reloading 10%. Saw some jackets for 20% off. I thought I would grab a over and under, but I can get a better deal sitting at the computer.
Posted By: hanco Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Bought from them once, great experience
Posted By: Nollij Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Just ordered from them again Monday. I've been able to find some components there over the last couple of years that I could not find any where else.
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
My only complaint was that they would always send out a big elaborate sale flyer. Then, when you drove a couple of hours to get there, they wouldn't have half of the stuff in the flyer.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
^^^
Yep, I got a buddy that’s 77 now. Happened to him about 25 years ago, and he’s never gone back and will bad mouth them until the day he dies.

He even called ahead of time to verify, before driving 2+ hrs. When he got their, they tried to bait and switch. The one sales guy even told him, they never had any in stock ever.

That was the second and last strike for him. They used to have a round up policy (maybe still do in store) where they keep the excess pennies they owed you in change.
Originally Posted by Stammster
^^^
Yep, I got a buddy that’s 77 now. Happened to him about 25 years ago, and he’s never gone back and will bad mouth them until the day he dies.

He even called ahead of time to verify, before driving 2+ hrs. When he got their, they tried to bait and switch. The one sales guy even told him, they never had any in stock ever.

That was the second and last strike for him. They used to have a round up policy (maybe still do in store) where they keep the excess pennies they owed you in change.

I have called ahead on "special " guns more than once to be sure they had them . I always asked to speak to the manager , never lied to . They did give a time limit to hold guns though .
Posted By: moosemike Re: Grice Gun Shop - 03/30/22
Never been there. I even hunt in Clearfield County a good bit but have never darkened the doorway. After reading about the customer service I may never go
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Grice Gun Shop - 04/01/22
Originally Posted by Terryk
I can guess that Grice has less than 1/2 of the guns on display. Many racks were removed. I was just there Friday.
Bob's sale is 5-10% off most items. I never saw 30% marked on any display. Firearms 5%, Archery 10%, optics 10%, reloading 10%. Saw some jackets for 20% off. I thought I would grab a over and under, but I can get a better deal sitting at the computer.

I figured that's how it would be for a while. Buddy asked are you going up to see what they have, I said no because if I do either there won't be any deals or I'll spend a couple grand on stuff I don't need.

About Grice's, yeah their guys at the counter can be a pain in the ass but they aren't that bad and Grice's is good to go.

Think I posted this before here but last year I bought my son a Glock 19 for his graduation from tech school, over 700 otd, love my son so that wasn't too much to pay. Next week I just happened to run back up to that area and stopped at Bob's Army Navy and they had a sign in the gun section that said "Ask us about our Glock military/law enforcement prices". Soooo I asked and they pulled a sheet out and looked at the prices for me...... I scored a Glock 19 for myself for $425 plus tax. Exact same pistol for almost $300 less.

Gonna miss Bob's for sure.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Grice Gun Shop - 04/01/22
Grice is one of the places I’ve been ordering from for the past two years. Low shipping costs to Alaska. Between the, Blue Collar, Scheels and a little Precision Reloading and early on Midway USA, I’ve kept my bullet and brass supply up.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Grice Gun Shop - 05/09/22
First order no problems. Ordered 143 Eldx’s, 129 interlocks and some brass this morning.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Grice Gun Shop - 05/09/22
What is it about local gun shops and a**holes behind the counters???

There's a shop near me like that. They seem almost hostile towards customers, but it's my one reliable source of 16 ga. shells.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Grice Gun Shop - 05/12/22
Ordered Monday morning and it was here today Wednesday at 1:45. That’s pretty fast.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Grice Gun Shop - 05/12/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Every time I went to Clearfield with my uncle there were 2 stops given. Grice's and Bob's. Last time I was back a couple years ago, we went into town and I was surprised at the rude, curmudgeonly attitude of the guys behind the gun counter. Uncle and cousin tells me that the norm there anymore. THey've gotten a reputation for it I guess.

Same here…drive out to Grice’s, go to Bob’s. Get a big burger at Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub, or eat at the restaurant across from Grice’s. Pretty good way to kill a day. Bob’s going out stinks, but they had a good run. Agree the counter guys at Grice’s are occasionally pi$$y, but the overall selection is pretty good.
© 24hourcampfire