Home
Come on. We've ALL done it. What's your best redneck ingenuity? Video isn't mine, but I've done this one:

Just don't stand in front of it!
Watched some dudes here in town at a tire shop do that with propane on a tractor tire. First they heaped GLOBS of axel grease all inside the bead.

Hit it with a torch and B O O M !!

when that bead seated, them dudes had hunks of grease the size of pork chops in there hair and beards. 😐😐🤣🤣🤣
If that's Redneck ingenuity,
you so t seen nothing yet.

That's standard procedure in any tire shop that mounts truck or implement tires.
Now days, the fancy places have a Cheetah.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Watched some dudes here in town at a tire shop do that with propane on a tractor tire. First they heaped GLOBS of axel grease all inside the bead.

Hit it with a torch and B O O M !!

when that bead seated, them dudes had hunks of grease the size of pork chops in there hair and beards. 😐😐🤣🤣🤣

laffin’
I can picture that!
grin
Scope mounting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comments/inglgi/bubba_did_it_this_time/

Bruce
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hahahaha Does it work?
So
I bought a nice 16 ft Lund up by Detroit 10 hrs from home one time. Went to get it mid December drove up stopped about 5 hours from home so she could Christmas shop the next day(Saturday) woke up to snow cold and wind. We got up drove 2 more hours to outside of Chicago decided what hotel to stop at and just as i pulled up to stoplight i felt a slight bam. Figured someone rear ended me with slick roads but,,,,, no cars in sight. So i pulled up to hotel and something didn’t look right. And after investigating the bam was the right side leaf spring broke. here i am Saturday afternoon 3 hours from home nothing open. Unhooked the boat went dropped her off, proceeded to N_____ rig it.
Bought a leaf spring but the bolts were all froze(imagine that) so i bought a 4x4 and a 2x4 and a hand saw. Cut the 4x4 to fit between the frame and spring, shaved a little piece off 2x4 to wedge in, ratchet strapped the axle to the cross ember pulling broke sping back together then ratchet strapped the spring 4x4 to the frame. Told her if i get around the block and it doesn’t come apart we heading home. And 4 hours later i pulled into driveway
Years ago I knew a fellow who deer hunted with an old rusty 12 gauge single-shot using slugs. He had taken J-B Weld and formed a rear sight. He used a triangle file to fine tune a groove in it to get it to shoot slugs to point of aim. I took him to the club range when I went to check that my rifle was still sighed in and he let me shoot 2-3 slugs though his shotgun at a 100 yard target. I was amazed how well it shot.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'd hire this guy in a second. He's ready to go to work.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

That's standard procedure in any tire shop that mounts truck or implement tires.

Yep.

That's not redneck. That's been the way you inflate stubborn tires since they came out with tubeless tires. I took a job in a shop mounting tires in 1986 and that's one of the first things the old timers taught me. Squirt ether in it then stand back a few feet and toss a lit match at it.
Working night shift on a very cold winter night and was parked in a used car lot “observing traffic” when an old beater pulled up to the stop sign and died. The driver got out, opened the trunk and pulled out a battery charger and an extension cord. He walked over to the car lot’s portable sign, unplugged it, plugged in his battery charger then hooked it to his battery and started the car. He closed the hood, plugged the sign back in, threw everything back in the trunk and drove away.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Aqua Net for the win....
Ether to seat tires? Shoot, I think I was 14 the first time I done that.
Had a Beagle who got into a porcupine once. The Old Man knocked her out with ether on a rag and pulled the quills.
We filled my buddies swimming pool using a dump truck lined with a big blue tarp outta the creek. Had a pump on the tailgate of a pickup. Backed the dump truck and the pickup up to the creek connected the hoses, and fired up the pump. Reversed the process at the pool.
Built a “Beer, Bait & Ammo Buggy” by welding bicycle front forks on a steel refrigerator body.
You could haul two big coolers of beer, lanterns, rods, and tackle boxes for fishing in the Potomac River on the Tow path of the C&O Canal. ( if you’re gonna do this, add some gussets inside the body, or stay off steep banks) eek

7mm
Starting fluid and a match, seat atv tires in the woods. Don't ask how I know.
Pop volunteered to mow the Church greave yard. He hated the flowers that blew out of the little urns beside the tombstones, took a long time to pick up before he could mow.

When Mon passed away, he took the roll of high dollar stainless steel wire I gave him to make snares with and wired her flowers in so they would not blow out...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Fubarski
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

That's not Redneck, that's just stupid.
Have used acetylene, just don't use too much,
Ingenuity usually means a clever way of doing things. Stupid sheet don’t qualify.

I’m vadering that flower idea!
I am not a witness to this, but I heard it from two independent sources at different times. (Hey, it’s more than good enough for CNN, right?) This person (identified by name by both sources) bought an army surplus parachute so he could go parasailing behind a 1970s Dodge Super Bee. He would run behind the car while it gained speed and someone would throw up the chute and he would sail. Unfortunately, on one run the chute got messed up and he came down from about telephone pole height and was a human scab for a while. Both sources also indicated that the same person had built a motorized bicycle out of a kid’s banana seat bike and a chain saw. These are north Louisiana stories, so it adds a lot of credibility to them.

One of the sources on that story had a relative in Illinois who rigged up a homemade airboat and ran it on a small pond and somehow lost a part of an arm in the crash in front of observers (probably while someone held his beer). I have to write my source and get the details on that one, because it has been a while since I heard it. My source also claims that he had a relative in Illinois who had a bit of a drinking problem and reached into a secret hiding spot on the farm to get his stash and wound up drinking stump killer instead. Apparently, it doesn’t just kill stumps.

Good stories no matter what, and something to which some may aspire.
Years ago had a Corvair that didn't have any seats. We sat on 5 gallon buckets. Came to a stop sign and stopped too fast and bucket tipped over, throwing me to the deck. Unfortunately a cop was across from us and saw me disappear. Came over and saw what we had and just laughed. Told us to go home.
The original bucket seats.
Rusted out hole in the floor of my first car. I am somewhat ashamed to admit but it was much like an in car trash can that never needed emptying. Put a piece of tractor fender and a floor mat over it in the winter.

Later a piece of seamless steam pipe for a jeep bumper. Worked great. Much stronger than a fire hydrant.
acetylene A trash bag and an ignition source,,, lots of story’s there
Originally Posted by Geno67
Rusted out hole in the floor of my first car. I am somewhat ashamed to admit but it was much like an in car trash can that never needed emptying. Put a piece of tractor fender and a floor mat over it in the winter.

Later a piece of seamless steam pipe for a jeep bumper. Worked great. Much stronger than a fire hydrant.

In about 1997 I had a '74 Ford f100 that had a rust holes in floor. An "acquired" pair of road speed limit signs and some rivets fixed it nicely!!
In college in Upstate NY in the 70’s for a while I drove a rusted-out AMC Scout 4WD. Holes everywhere, driver’s side doorlock had rusted clean out of the door. When driving I would thread a belt around the driver’s door armrest and my thigh to hold the door mostly closed.
This isn't really ingenuity, but I had a POS pickup one time that had so much permenant dirt in the cracks between the body and bumper, as well as in the bed that I had plants growing out of them. I kept them and even watered them at times.

Same rig had a rusted out hole in the floorboard to spit Cope juice through. I may have even pissed out of the floorboard hole once while driving. There may or may not have also been some bullet holes in the hood and tailgate. Parallax is a bitch.
Originally Posted by IA_fog
acetylene A trash bag and an ignition source,,, lots of story’s there

Seen one touch off from static rolling across the parking lot.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
This isn't really ingenuity, but I had a POS pickup one time that had so much permenant dirt in the cracks between the body and bumper, as well as in the bed that I had plants growing out of them. I kept them and even watered them at times.

Same rig had a rusted out hole in the floorboard to spit Cope juice through. I may have even pissed out of the floorboard hole once while driving. There may or may not have also been some bullet holes in the hood and tailgate. Parallax is a bitch.

My first vehicle, a '54 Chevy PU with those curved side windows, had corn growing in the bed, and front fenders that flapped like elephant ears. Couldn't budge the spark plugs so I just left them in.

Paid $50 for it, sold it for $60.
Broke the long tie rod on my Dad's dune buggy about twelve miles in. Bailing wired a crescent wrench to it. Then a pair of pliers. Duct taped her for good measure and bombed around the rest of the day. Even flat towed it home 20 miles or so.

Might rethink that one today though.
Busted a throttle return spring driving big rig in the mountains in the middle of the night just trying to get home. There was no spare spring so I duct taped my boot to the accelerator pedal so I could lift as needed.
© 24hourcampfire