Home
Posted By: Redneck Eggs..... - 04/12/22
.......are now OVER $4/dozen.... eek

Around here, the culprit has been the 'bird flu' affecting large turkey and chicken operations in MN and WI... What are they in your areas??
Posted By: Raeford Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
$2.50ish
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
50 lbs of feed every week or two.

But the ornamental ducks share in the banquet.
Posted By: Teal Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Redneck

Around here, the culprit has been the 'bird flu' affecting large turkey and chicken operations in MN and WI... What are they in your areas??

No clue and I was just at the store too....
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Haven't bought eggs in a really long time. We've got a dozen or so layers and often give eggs away
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Haven't bought eggs in a really long time. We've got a dozen or so layers and often give eggs away

We’ve been getting farm fresh eggs from a friend lately, along with duck eggs.

I don’t see myself going back to store bought eggs again.

Duck eggs are amazing!

🦫
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
We’re getting about a dozen per day from our hens. I don’t eat store bought eggs as I can’t stand the taste and texture but 8 or 10 eggs, bacon and hash browns along with a big glass of cold raw milk makes for a great dinner. We’ll be getting another 6 chicks soon and then another 6 in the fall….hopefully we’ll have a broody hen to raise them. Our favorite momma hen that raised several clutches for us over the years just succumbed to eagle predation. We’re hoping another hen steps up as a surrogate because it sure makes it easier.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Duck eggs are amazing! As soon as we get moved out to the ranch I'm getting ducks for sure. I'm the mean time chickens will do
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22

Cost to me is a secure shelter for them in to sleep at night without concern for foxes and such, nest boxes in the hen house, clean water, some feed to supplement their daily foraging, and some land for them to forage on.

About half my flock:

[Linked Image]

One hen laying an egg:

[Linked Image]

Another one: (Actually, this is the broody one incubating her eggs last year)

[Linked Image]

Typical daily collection (actually, most days, I get six):

[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Nothing better !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well, maybe the bacon, that goes with them !
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We’re getting about a dozen per day from our hens. I don’t eat store bought eggs as I can’t stand the taste and texture but 8 or 10 eggs, bacon and hash browns along with a big glass of cold raw milk makes for a great dinner. We’ll be getting another 6 chicks soon and then another 6 in the fall….hopefully we’ll have a broody hen to raise them. Our favorite momma hen that raised several clutches for us over the years just succumbed to eagle predation. We’re hoping another hen steps up as a surrogate because it sure makes it easier.

I had a hen go broody last year. She hatched out two and carefully raised them up.

It's amazing to watch a mother hen take care of her chicks.

I agree on the taste of store bought. Even the ones marked organic or free range stink.

I've been keeping free range laying hens since 2010. My immediate neighbors get free eggs.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
$2.57 for 18 extra large at Walmart yesterday.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
$6.19 a dozen for jumbo, up from $5.09 about four days prior.

They must deliver them with an armored truck w/security guards.
Duck eggs are amazing! As soon as we get moved out to the ranch I'm getting ducks for sure. I'm the mean time chickens will do

Waiting on your ranch pictures here, once you and the family move.

Exciting stuff for you all.

👍🏼🦫
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22

Duck eggs would be great.

But, I hear tell them critters like water..................and it's in short supply in these parts.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
$2.57 for 18 extra large at Walmart yesterday.

Walmart eggs???

Is that anything like salsa from New York City???
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
They were $4.55 last week at our local grocery store. Said F that and went to Dollar General to see what they were.... $3.50.

At the local grocery store (same as above) 15 minutes ago they were two dozen for $4.00 so I bought two dozen.

I prefer home grown but my buddies chicks ain't been laying lately.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I had a hen go broody last year. She hatched out two and carefully raised them up.

I agree on the taste of store bought. Even the ones marked organic or free range stink.

I've been keeping free range laying hens since 2010. My immediate neighbors get free eggs.

It is incredible to watch the natural instincts of a broody hen take over. Our favorite momma hen, Mrs. Doubtfire, raised 5 or 6 broods. The first time we did it she was broody and one night while she was sleeping in her nesting box (because she was broody) my wife put 12 chicks under her. Imagine waking up one morning and finding 12 babies that you’re forced to raise? 😂 She was a wonderful mother and she had the “respect” of the rest of the flock so none of them were ever mean to the chicks. Mrs. Doubtfire raised somewhere around 40 chicks and I don’t recall her ever having one die…I think she successfully raised every chick to “adulthood”. 😁
Chickens are more fun than I expected. Watching them peck around and seeing their behavior is relaxing and often funny. The last rooster we had would jump as high as he could to pick blackberries and salmonberries. He’d drop them on the ground for the hens. There was a berry free zone from the ground up about 3 feet all along the back edge of the property. I don’t remember ever seeing him eat the berries himself as he always saw that the hens ate first while clucking and vocalizing about what a stud he is…..until he too was turned into eagle poop. 😫
Posted By: Craigster Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Get ours from a buddy's hens. $5/doz, they're worth it !
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
All over the place, but definitely higher than normal. We have been experiencing a great deal of chicken and turkey genocide around here.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22

$5.79 for Jumbo 18 count... up from $3.99 for same a couple months ago.

Phil
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
One of the few Grocery items that I never look at the price of when I buy them every week.
I’m sure they’re high like every other fuggin food in the store.

I’m sure Hiden Biden and the DemoRat’s will find a way to blame Putin. Fuggers need to be strung up. 😡
Originally Posted by 5sdad
…We have been experiencing a great deal of chicken and turkey genocide around here.

PLM…poultry lives matter.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Just now, $3.09 for a dozen Jumbo at Martin’s in Winchester, VA.

While we’re at it. 15% fat ground beef was $5.39 in a 3-pound or so pack. Asparagus was $1.47 with my bonus card.

King Oscar Kipper snacks are up to $2.59, which is concerning….
Originally Posted by Pappy348

While we’re at it. 15% fat ground beef was $5.39 in a 3-pound or so pack. Asparagus was $1.47 with my bonus card.

Oh the horror.

Blame it on the Swedes?
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Duck eggs would be great.

But, I hear tell them critters like water..................and it's in short supply in these parts.

A sponge bath a day, keeps the carbuncle away.

Lol

😝🦫
Oh Shít....Incoming abuse from Geno.

Helmet on !

🦫
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22

Oh the horror.

Blame it on the Swedes?

I’ve always thought King Oscar was Norwegian. At any rate, his tasty fish are a product of Poland, at least this batch; close enough to Russia to blame Vlad.

It is incredible to watch the natural instincts of a broody hen take over. Our favorite momma hen, Mrs. Doubtfire, raised 5 or 6 broods. The first time we did it she was broody and one night while she was sleeping in her nesting box (because she was broody) my wife put 12 chicks under her. Imagine waking up one morning and finding 12 babies that you’re forced to raise? 😂 She was a wonderful mother and she had the “respect” of the rest of the flock so none of them were ever mean to the chicks. Mrs. Doubtfire raised somewhere around 40 chicks and I don’t recall her ever having one die…I think she successfully raised every chick to “adulthood”. 😁
Chickens are more fun than I expected. Watching them peck around and seeing their behavior is relaxing and often funny. The last rooster we had would jump as high as he could to pick blackberries and salmonberries. He’d drop them on the ground for the hens. There was a berry free zone from the ground up about 3 feet all along the back edge of the property. I don’t remember ever seeing him eat the berries himself as he always saw that the hens ate first while clucking and vocalizing about what a stud he is…..until he too was turned into eagle poop. 😫

Yeah, rooster behavior with hens is amazing to watch, too. Just like you say, they will literally provide food for the hens, and let them eat while they go hungry. Many are extremely brave (and often effective) in attacking a predator that's after a hen, too.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Oh Shít....Incoming abuse from Geno.

Helmet on !

🦫

If this drought gets much worse I'm gonna hafta cut back to one shower every two weeks soon.

I'll be out hosing down in the garden beds getting two uses out of the water.

Oh the horror.

Blame it on the Swedes?

I’ve always thought King Oscar was Norwegian. At any rate, his tasty fish are a product of Poland, at least this batch; close enough to Russia to blame Vlad.

Sweden, Norway, Denmark. Them Skandahoovians all look the same to me. Speak funny too.

And yeah, production switched to Poland awhile back, sometime after Poland became "free" again I think.
I wouldn't be surprised if the mass kill off of chickens is unnecessary, and orchestrated to raise egg prices. What would be wrong with letting a virus run through a flock? Certainly a percentage of them would get through it and pass their immunity on to the next generation. Instead they just kill them all.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Kroger here had 18 packs for $1.47 on Friday. Limit 2

We slayed. As usual

Limits are for suckers
Originally Posted by slumlord

We slayed. As usual

Limits are for suckers

Are you taking advantage of them motorized and wheeled fat chairs while shopping?

Lol

🦫

We slayed. As usual

Limits are for suckers

Are you taking advantage of them motorized and wheeled fat chairs while shopping?

Lol

🦫

Bumps folks out the way with them, so's he can get to his goodies afore they do.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22

We slayed. As usual

Limits are for suckers

Do you freeze them for storage, Slum ?

I was reading something about folks freezing them somewhere on the Net the other day. I’d never heard of that before.

We slayed. As usual

Limits are for suckers

Lol

🦫

I aint touching those nasty things.

I’ve lost 32 lbs of organs, blood and fluid. 😀

I’ve walking just fine, a little slow but I’m hangin
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

We slayed. As usual

Limits are for suckers

Do you freeze them for storage, Slum ?

I was reading something about folks freezing them somewhere on the Net the other day. I’d never heard of that before.

No, the Mrs made about a dozen loaves of banana bread and brownies. Some for Nana’s Diabetic Birthday Bash shocked

They rest, (the bread) she slices and freezes.

I eat one egg a day in my grits. Convalescent Breakfast

We slayed. As usual

Limits are for suckers

Lol

🦫

I aint touching those nasty things.

I’ve lost 32 lbs of organs, blood and fluid. 😀

I’ve walking just fine, a little slow but I’m hangin

JFC, 32lbs! That sounds like a normal morning dump for Renny.

Slummy, I’m glad you’re getting better. That was a Helluva ride you went through.

🦫
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Still pretty cheap around here.
32 lbs in 4 weeks

Hell Im skeert to eat anything because of the damn potassium. Wicked chit.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Eggs..... - 04/12/22
Eggs are $2. dozen at the closest neighbor. Free range eggs are a completely different taste than store bought as mentioned here repeatedly. I just can't stand store bought after eating free range eggs for twenty years.

It is tough to keep chickens alive here with all the predators around. I have watched coordinated attacks by fox in mid-day at the neighbor's farm, really something to see the smarts of these fox.

We have thought about raising our own, but it is just not worth the effort at $2 a doz. I don't know what all our dogs would do with chickens running around. The dogs get a wild turkey once in a while so probably would not be good.
Posted By: EdM Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
I don't eat eggs but my wife eats the hell out of them. She buys from a lady that lives off of her golf course, $2/doz. She's heading out on Thursday.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
I’ve raised chickens 2 times in 20 years.

Usually we had so many eggs we couldnt eat or give enough away. Mrs slumlord bitches about 20+ dozen eggs in the fridge and chickens crapping on the sidewalk scratching out potting soil in our patio plants.

Try give away those nice big country eggs. People at church and work be like “Ewwwwwewwwwwwww, the eggs...they’re brown...why are they brown....ewwwwwww, never mind I’ll pass”
crazy crazy mad

Had to send em down the road.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
We get $4.00/doz for our eggs.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22

Usually we had so many eggs we couldnt eat or give enough away. Mrs slumlord bitches about 20+ dozen eggs in the fridge and chickens crapping on the sidewalk scratching out potting soil in our patio plants.

You got too many.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22

Prices here haven't changed.

USDA put out a press release yesterday (?) about that avian flu outbreak. Seem like it's really virulent. It has shown up in a few wild populations in the upper Midwest, too.

Ed
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
I like seeing those tan eggs. We had Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rock years ago.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
I love eggs. I love farm fresh eggs. Fresh eggs make better cakes. They make much better omelets. When Boiled, they do not peel smoothly, like the computer eggs in Wal Mart. Overall, I much prefer farm fresh eggs.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
The USDA calls it “depopulating”, but it’s just little napoleons running around getting off on telling farmers they have to kill all the animals. I’d rather deal with the USEPA than the USDA..... They are miserable, incompetent, nasty people.

Maybe one day I’ll tell y’all how I really feel....
Posted By: TheKid Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
I eat 6 eggs when I eat breakfast, generally only two days a week. Love them scrambled, omelettes, hard fried, pickled, just about any way you can think of. But I’ll be danged if I can taste one bit of difference between store eggs and “farm” eggs.

Oh and ours have went up $1 per dozen in the last month.
Posted By: bucktail Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
Out of stock about 3 times out of 4.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
With backyard chicken ranching being the rage in these parts, there are more eggs to give away than people to eat them.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
People at my wife’s work are paying her $5+ per dozen before the craziness but now they’ll still pay the same. 😁. She doesn’t want to take the money from most of them so she gives them away often. Last week she said one guy left a $50 bill and told her just bring him a dozen until he owes more.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22

You got too many.

Yup,

Turn a few into chicken dinners.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
I eat 6 eggs when I eat breakfast, generally only two days a week. Love them scrambled, omelettes, hard fried, pickled, just about any way you can think of. But I’ll be danged if I can taste one bit of difference between store eggs and “farm” eggs.

Huge difference. Not even close. The difference is in the diet and lifestyle of the hens. A wild diet (bugs, grubs, wild greens, wild berries and seeds, etc.) produces delicious eggs. You can even tell by looking at them cracked into a bowl. Store bought have pitiful pale yellow yolks, while real free range (not store bought "free range") eggs have deeply rich, vibrant yellow, yolks, almost a little orange in tone.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

You got too many.

Yup,

Turn a few into chicken dinners.

We had about 9 or 10

But I agree

Probably ideal (for us) would be 2 hens
There is a farm where we used to get country smoked pork sausage.
Pull into the man’s gates and I swear there was no less than 200-300 chickens running buck wild all different directions.

Nothing seemed organized either. Bizarre breeds, feral, banties, leghorns, cross breeds, hens that looked gang-banged, 1/3 of roosters ready to whoop your ass when ya got out of the truck.

Sheesh
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
Pull into the man’s gates and I swear there was no less than 200-300 chickens running buck wild all different directions.

Nothing seemed organized either. Bizarre breeds, feral, banties, leghorns, cross breeds, hens that looked gang-banged, 1/3 of roosters ready to whoop your ass when ya got out of the truck.

Sheesh

He had to recycle that hog shìt somehow.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22

Huge difference. Not even close. The difference is in the diet and lifestyle of the hens. A wild diet (bugs, grubs, wild greens, wild berries and seeds, etc.) produces delicious eggs. You can even tell by looking at them cracked into a bowl. Store bought have pitiful pale yellow yolks, while real free range (not store bought "free range") eggs have deeply rich, vibrant yellow, yolks, almost a little orange in tone.

Yeah I get it. The yolks are orange when they eat grasshoppers and junebugs. But to me they taste like eggs. I can tell a bigger difference in taste between cooking them in bacon grease or Snowcap lard than from “farm” raised or not.

Yeah I get it. The yolks are orange when they eat grasshoppers and junebugs. But to me they taste like eggs. I can tell a bigger difference in taste between cooking them in bacon grease or Snowcap lard than from “farm” raised or not.

Yeah...there really ain't a whole hell of a lot of difference basically.

Freshness helps though IMHO.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
We had a weird thing happen to us last week regarding eggs. We live in the country and have a few neighbors, but don't know them really well. Anyway, wife check the mailbox and finds a carton of a dozen farm eggs. No note or explanation. The carton had a label from a small farm about 30 miles away with an expiration date from last summer.

We asked around and called some friends and relatives, but nobody knew anything about it. Weird.
I want to dispel this paranoia associated with “””SHELF LIFE”””

OMG I MUST TOSS THESE GROCERY STORE EGGS, THEY EXPIRE TOMORROW”

JFC
JFC
JFC

we uses to keep both farm eggs and city/store eggs for 3,4,6 months. Who gives a sheeeyott?

If youre gulping raw eggs like Lardass Hogan then maybe, but he was intent on barfing anyway.

Expiration dates: FAKE NEWS

Also, as long you dont wash that cloaca butt lube off of Lucy The Rhode Island Red’s eggs, they can stay in the henhouse on a 90 degree afternoons till ya get back from the beach trip or out on the counter for a few days too.
Not saying you are wrong...but unwashed eggs right out a hens ass will keep better than washed store eggs.

Although some store eggs will be in our first or second fridge for several months.

If they are too nasty to fry...the dogs get em.
Hahahaha!

You edited you bugger!
Of course youre not saying I’m wrong. grin

We would have Doggie Omelet day a couple times a year. A labrador retriever can eat a 52 egg omelet
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22

Sheesh

Of course youre not saying I’m wrong. grin

We would have Doggie Omelet day a couple times a year. A labrador retriever can eat a 52 egg omelet

Hahaha!

Makes their coat really shine!
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Sheesh

Dorf got what it was asking for

Although I have never encountered an aggressive Muscovy Duck.
Had several show up after an epic flood once ripped through our horse farm. They were humble and gentle. They stayed several years. Guess we fed better. Plus we had horse shît to sift through. Mmmm, mmmmpp!!!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

Raising my barter price to that this season, feed has gone up quite a bit.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
2 bucks a dozen here. Buy them with
a pickle jar of milk whole. 3 bucks a wk. Also.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22

Yep, for sure.

Friends & family $0 - $4, work acquaintances $5 !
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Yep, for sure.

What are these " work acquaintances " you speak of?

I retired, good lort almost five years ago now, and I no longer know those kind of folks.

Oh, I had a dozen with me when I went to town last night, ran into a friend who has gotten some for me in the past. Asked if he wanted some eggs, sure was the answer. I asked if he had $4, he said nope. I told him if he didn't have $4 in his pocket maybe he needed the eggs more than I needed the $4 so I just gave them to him. Work is sometimes hard to come by out here in the sticks.

Yep, for sure.

Yeah, we'll probably be raising our prices on eggs and honey this year. Local stores are selling "local" honey for $5-$10 more a quart than what we are selling for right now.

BTW, we have friends and family rates too. smile

Yep, for sure.

Yeah, we'll probably be raising our prices on eggs and honey this year. Local stores are selling "local" honey for $5-$10 more a quart than what we are selling for right now.

Local feed store has honey from these parts for $20.99 a Mason Jar now.

Yep, for sure.

Local feed store has honey from these parts for $20.99 a Mason Jar now.

We get $20/quart picked up here at the farm, and we sell every drop we can squeeze out of the bees. We also sell to 4 different retail outlets who mark the honey up a few bucks, and it flies off their shelves.
Posted By: las Re: Eggs..... - 04/13/22
Fuel prices again.... Some of those chickens are real guzzlers! smile

Gotta go collect Henry - a dog down the road. Parents made emergency evacuation to Anch last night.

Henry doesn't get up before 9.
© 24hourcampfire