Home
Posted By: RS308MX Have you ever died and....... - 04/28/22
were brought back to life? I haven't, how about you or somebody you know? Was there any out of body experience?
I've had some out of body experiences.

I lived through the late 60's and 70's.
My old boss died on the operating table. Maybe 6-7 minutes. Out of body, the whole shebang. Left the room, saw and heard people in the hall. Remembered conversations that he couldn’t possibly have heard from inside the room. Saw departed relatives. He tells the story well.

P
I thought I did.

I was 18, she was 25.
Acquaintance did and yes. A Colonel in the military, also on the operating table, heard others, saw others, and said it was heart breaking to told " go back, it is not your time". One of the warmest human beings I've had the pleasure of knowing.
Yes. August, 1986. High speed (~85mph+) M/C wreck. Drunk as a skunk. 16 years old. Liter Kawi. Ghosted bike to avoid mowing down kids getting out of St. Mary's at the end of Brook St. on a hard left. Took the turn on one knee and let go of the bars a split second after seeing the kiddos racing across the street just down from the Brookline Spa on the corner at the top in their little uniforms .

The BFD found me pinned underneath a Chevy Impala ~140' from impact site, bent in half backwards, face up, with my ankles behind my head toes down (no, not like the dirty movies). Bike in about 6 pieces over the entire block. Kids told the cops and FD I'd done two and a half rotations head over heels after the initial smash.

By the time the wrecker picked up the car I was under--they found me only by one of the FD hearing me moaning-- I had coded. No respiration, no pulse after getting me in the meat wagon. Non-responsive in every way. Wee Muther actually heard me hit 1/4 mile away from the porch just getting home from working a double as a nurse. Thanks, long-haired hippie looking dude in robes or whatever.

18 hours of 3 man (two men, one woman actually) trauma team surgery later, they told my folks if they were praying types to go have a talk with their God to do so.
They collectively predicted that despite their efforts, I likely wouldn't survive the night.

I walked out of there 6 weeks later,full of piss and vinegar, missing most of my right lung, with 17 broken bones healing, mega internal organ and muscle damage repairing and zippers up my guts and back, plus 4 chest tube holes in my torso. Not to mention losing 45 pounds and feeling like I'd died. Morphine is Lord, BTW.

I 'died' three times that first 24 hours, I am told. I never saw any lights, gates or any old man. Nothing. Three weeks and maybe change after the wreck I awoke. I'll never forget coming to and seeing WM at my side, in tears. As she saw me awake and with me asking her where I was, she slapped me hard in the face and hissed, 'Boy, if ye never believed in th' guid Lord above before this day, th' noo is a guid bloody time to start! Ya wee bastard!' YE WEE BASTARD!'

True story.
Slavyanka died on the operating table at 16 from a ruptured appendix. Saw herself lying on the table, saw the light, then saw her favourite aunt who’d died. Aunt said to go back, they weren’t ready for her yet. So she did.
Buddy from CO went out for a run and face planted mid stride. Massive heart attack. Lady saw him hit the deck from her apartment, ran down and started cpr.

He was without heartbeat for several minutes after the meat wagon got there and quite a few before.

Was fairly recent. Haven’t spoken to h8m about it. He apparently has s9me cognitive issues as well as the facial fractures and busted teeth from face planting on the sidewalk when his heart seized up.
3ish years old choked on candy, found laying in front yard purple, not breathing, mom/uncle/grandma held me upside down hysterically beating on my back. Piece of candy shot out of my mouth.
When I got my grown-up teeth I had a white line across my top teeth, dentist Dr. Davenport said my heart must have stopped beating at some point. Told him of inhaling the candy as a small child. Over time the white line drifted down my teeth and was gone by my late teens.
Don't remember a thing about it.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Yes. August, 1986. High speed (~85mph+) M/C wreck. Drunk as a skunk. 16 years old. Liter Kawi. Ghosted bike to avoid mowing down kids getting out of St. Mary's at the end of Brook St. on a hard left. Took the turn on one knee and let go of the bars a split second after seeing the kiddos racing across the street just down from the Brookline Spa on the corner at the top in their little uniforms .

The BFD found me pinned underneath a Chevy Impala ~140' from impact site, bent in half backwards, face up, with my ankles behind my head toes down (no, not like the dirty movies). Bike in about 6 pieces over the entire block. Kids told the cops and FD I'd done two and a half rotations head over heels after the initial smash.

By the time the wrecker picked up the car I was under--they found me only by one of the FD hearing me moaning-- I had coded. No respiration, no pulse after getting me in the meat wagon. Non-responsive in every way. Wee Muther actually heard me hit 1/4 mile away from the porch just getting home from working a double as a nurse. Thanks, long-haired hippie looking dude in robes or whatever.

18 hours of 3 man (two men, one woman actually) trauma team surgery later, they told my folks if they were praying types to go have a talk with their God to do so.
They collectively predicted that despite their efforts, I likely wouldn't survive the night.

I walked out of there 6 weeks later,full of piss and vinegar, missing most of my right lung, with 17 broken bones healing, mega internal organ and muscle damage repairing and zippers up my guts and back, plus 4 chest tube holes in my torso. Not to mention losing 45 pounds and feeling like I'd died. Morphine is Lord, BTW.

I 'died' three times that first 24 hours, I am told. I never saw any lights, gates or any old man. Nothing. Three weeks and maybe change after the wreck I awoke. I'll never forget coming to and seeing WM at my side, in tears. As she saw me awake and with me asking her where I was, she slapped me hard in the face and hissed, 'Boy, if ye never believed in th' guid Lord above before this day, th' noo is a guid bloody time to start! Ya wee bastard!' YE WEE BASTARD!'

True story.

School in August in Massachusetts?
yes during surgery.
Sister did. On the operating table. Saw it happening, watched the doctors bring her back. Our grandmother came and talked to her, telling her she would be ok. Angels in the OR surrounded her during the whole ordeal. They left once the docs brought her back, as did our grandmother.

She can’t talk about it without sobbing.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Sister did. On the operating table. Saw it happening, watched the doctors bring her back. Our grandmother came and talked to her, telling her she would be ok. Angels in the OR surrounded her during the whole ordeal. They left once the docs brought her back, as did our grandmother.

She can’t talk about it without sobbing.

pretty much mirrors what happened to me, except for the angels part, when the Dr came into my room to tell me what happened, I told him I already knew.
bigsqueeze did.
I'll have to find the transcript of where my father's best friend was interviewed by a local priest after he died and came back. I mentioned some in a previous post. He died during heart surgery. He saw gates but no one was there, a woman came up to him on a horse, said she was just vile and nasty, pulled out a scroll and read his son's names off of it, telling him they would go to Hell also. Sins of the father stuff. Next thing you know, he is back on the operating room table and the woman is standing beside him, said she was eating what appeared to be aborted fetuses out of a gerber baby food jar. A bright light would come towards the table and she would retreat into the shadows as it did. This went back and forth. Finally he was brought back to life. He got saved after that. He ended up dying a couple months later.
I think NEDs are fascinating.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
bigsqueeze did.

Yup!

It was entertaining as schitt too.
Originally Posted by bluefish

True story.

School in August in Massachusetts?

Some Catholic parochial schools ran programs in summer, but you may be right and it was September. I know I missed the first five or six weeks or so of my sophomore year of HS. You're welcome to believe I'm lying, however.
Not suggesting that at all. Just curious. Sounds like a major gory accident and you were darned lucky. But you already know that!

True story.

Good thing you weren't conscious. I don't know about you but I would have died of claustrophobia being pinned in a position like that!
Ol Mike's story reminded me. Twice in HS I had phlegm block my airway while sleeping. Once I managed to wake up somehow and get it loose. Another time my older bro dragged me out of bed and whacked scheidt out of me to loosen it up. Still needed O2 that time when the FD arrived. I honestly don't remember being dragged off the top bunk by my bro, so maybe I was on my way??

I still have a tendency to avoid sleeping flat on my back and positively hate post nasal drip crap after those events.
Suffered a Severe Heat Stroke about 25 years ago

Came too in the back of an Ambulance.

EMT was standing over me with the paddles.

Right before I came too fully, I heard the EMT say “he has no pulse and no BP” 😬

And I was thinking am I dead yet ? 🤠
Pretty sure I’ve smelled like I was dead a time or two, but it (mostly) washes off….
I think NDEs are fascinating.

Same here. They're some of my favorite stories to read or listen to.
Originally Posted by batch
Acquaintance did and yes. A Colonel in the military, also on the operating table, heard others, saw others, and said it was heart breaking to told " go back, it is not your time". One of the warmest human beings I've had the pleasure of knowing.

Did he explain going to heaven when his body died while on the operating table? Cancer removal?
Good stories guys. Sorry to hear what some of you went through though.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I think NDEs are fascinating.

Same here. They're some of my favorite stories to read or listen to.

I read a NDE story a decade ago, whether true or not I have no way of knowing.
A young girl [8-9yrs. old] was having a surgery due to a life threatening illness, procedure took a few hours and her heart stopped. The team worked hard to bring her back and was able to stabilize her.
When the anesthesia had subsided she was telling family and medical personnel about a tiny baby-doll up on top of the light on the ceiling. They thought she had dreamed this and didn't think much of it.
Someone got up there and looked, there it was a tiny baby-doll just like the little girl described. It could not be seen from the floor or standing on a chair. They were all in disbelief.

She said she was up there watching them work on her and spotted the doll but couldn't get it. Of coarse she got the doll.
I've never seen the light or the devil yet. The only thing I can remember about my close encounters is feeling pain free and no stress almost like I was happy. Makes no sense and sounds crazy.
My aunt died on the table. She said she saw her on the table, then went in a room and a man with a black cape was waiting for her to take her away. She said she was screaming at the man saying " in the name of Jesus get away from me".. She said it was the most real and scariest thing she ever experienced. When they brought her back the doctor said " we almost lost ya". When she told us a few years later, she was trembling so much she could hardly talk. She became more serious about Jesus , but she was a bitter pill till the day she died. A friend went to visit her on her death bed several years later and was still cursing George W . Bush on the day she died. What a sad woman to be so bitter . I am not sure she went to heaven or hell but you would think something like that would set her straight about hate and love and forgiveness, but no,,,, not a democrat huh?

True story.

I'm guessing you aren't one to denigrate skilled physicians?

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker

I'm guessing you aren't one to denigrate skilled physicians?

mike r

No sir, I'm not. Just a few years ago I thought about how that Boston based trauma team saved my undeserving bacon, literally. I searched for them online in order to let them know just how much what they did for me meant to me and my family from that day on. I did exactly that, and was able to find 2 of the 3 that gave me my very life beyond the day of my horrific wreck.

Drs. Tortella and Christiansen in particular have my undying and never ending gratitude. Every single day I've lived since I ate it in '86 I owe to them. Literally. Here's the guy who came to work one fine morning wearing a white cape and went home the next day exhausted and worn to a frazzle, I'm sure, but he'd saved a kid's life that day--my life.

36 years later and counting, I've never forgotten what he gave to me that day--and every day since and every single one to come. May God bless those amazing doctors and nurses who do what they did then, and do now.

https://www.doximity.com/pub/bartholomew-tortella-md
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
The expression Near Death Experience was coined by Dr. Raymond Moody in his groundbreaking book, Life After Life, in 1975. If any of y'all are interested in this subject, I highly recommend this book.

"Raymond Moody is the “father” of the modern NDE (Near Death Experience) movement, and his pioneering work Life After Life transformed the world, revolutionizing the way we think about death and what lies beyond. Originally published in 1975, it is the groundbreaking study of one hundred people who experienced “clinical death” and were revived, and who tell, in their own words, what lies beyond death.

A smash bestseller that has sold more than thirteen million copies around the globe, Life After Life introduced us to concepts—including the bright light, the tunnel, the presence of loved ones waiting on the other side—that have become cultural memes today.
Thanks Simon. I need to read that book.
Interesting.
© 24hourcampfire